200 minutes of Playing Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

200 minutes of Playing Time

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like it. Does anyone know the last UConn team to average 90 or above?
The 2015-16 team that went 38-0 with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia, Gabby, Lou & Pheesa averaged 88.1 ppg, the highest season total for a UConn team.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers - 18 points; 55 Three pointers (1.52/g); 4.0 RBs; 28 minutes
Azzi Fudd - 19.5 points; 96 Three pointers (2.67/g); 3.5 RBs; 27 minutes
Caroline Ducharme - 12 points; 43 Three pointers (1.2/g); 3.5 RBs; 22 minutes
Aliyah Edwards - 9.0 points; 3 Three pointers; 5.5 RBs; 23 minutes
Juhasz Dorka - 10.0 points; 24 Three pointers (.65/g); 6.0 RBs; 21 minutes
Nika Muhl - 5.0 points; 29 Three pointers (.8/g); 3.0 RBs; 19 minutes
Amari DeBerry - 4.0 points; 10 Three pointers; 3 RBs; 11 minutes
Aubrey Griffin - 6.0 points; 2 Three pointers; 5.0 RBs; 15 minutes
Lou Lopez Senechal - 8.0 points; 28 Three Pointers (.75/g); 2.5 RBs; 14 minutes
Ice Brady - 4.0 points; 4.0 RBs; 11 minutes
Ayanna Patterson - 3.0 points; 3.0 RBs; 9 minutes

I think this team will average about 91 points per game and about 40 Rebounds per game.
I love optimists. If we break 90/game, it’ll be like “all gas no brakes” but with great D

Reaction Score
For UConn to score 90/game they need depth because they would need to push in transition and play pressure defense. Last year, once again, Geno had to play halfcourt slowdown and limit possessions due to a short bench.

Reaction Score
We have seen PG play for 2 years....when she is healthy she plays 35-40 minutes, so unless you believe Azzi Fudd will only be on the floor for 20-25 minutes, I don't see it.

Reaction Score
For UConn to score 90/game they need depth because they would need to push in transition and play pressure defense. Last year, once again, Geno had to play halfcourt slowdown and limit possessions due to a short bench.
spoiler alert, Uconn will not average 90 pts a game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Depth is a funny thing. On paper UConn had plenty of depth last year, with 9 different players playing big minutes as starters. Had Aubrey been healthy that number could have been 10. Injuries and illness left the team with as few as 5 of those players for some games.

There is plenty of depth on this years team. UConn just needs everyone to be healthy. While players will undoubtedly get banged up during the season, I would love to see what this team is capable of if all 11 players are reasonably healthy for the entire season.

Reaction Score
There's bound to be injuries over the course of the season, and with players getting into foul trouble, Amari will eventually become a key player that will need to be relied on.
Amari's skill on defense is blocking shots and rebounding.
Sometimes RB'ing is about being in the right place at the right time, and not always about being the strongest and most physical player.
She can be disruptive and also draw fouls from aggressive players.
I think that she'll get as much as 15-20+ minutes some games if Dorka or Edwards has an injury or foul troubles.
Otherwise she may only get 12-15 minutes as part of the regular rotation depending on the opponent.
Geno needs her to develop before the end of the year to prepare for when the team needs her to match up.

Piath Gabriel had far better potential than Amari, and was playing vastly better at the end of last year. Big, aggressive, good rebounder, and didn't stand outside and throw up impossible three's as does Amari. I do hope Gabriel latches onto a team that values her and will play her.

Regarding Amari, I think she's going to remain on the bench, even with only 11 on the roster. Too many bigs, or guard/forwards, with potential to develop: Ice, Ayanna, Edwards, Ducharme, Griffin. and good players whom we need right now- Dorka. Only if bad injuries plague the team will Amari get off the bench for meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
If DeBerry had Mühl's attitude or Mühl had DeBerry's body we fans would have a super-star.

Reaction Score
Paige has absolutely nothing to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't come out as a pass first player yet again this year. To a fault even. I get it that it's important to get others involved but we want Paige shooting at crunch time and against tough competition. If the pass first is developmental for the team...great. Just don't forget who the POY is.

Reaction Score
Paige has absolutely nothing to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't come out as a pass first player yet again this year. To a fault even. I get it that it's important to get others involved but we want Paige shooting at crunch time and against tough competition. If the pass first is developmental for the team...great. Just don't forget who the POY is.
Pass first but take the last shot in big games.

Reaction Score
I wanted to make one point about foul trouble and how that doesn't necessarily make a quality backup to Dorka even more relevant. Unlike Liv, Dorka has a pretty good history regarding not getting in foul trouble, because as a full time starter at Ohio State it wasn't generally a big issue. She didn't commit fouls at a rate anywhere close to Liv, and as a result she averaged over 30 minutes a game a couple of seasons. So instead of needing about 15 minutes a game from the bench at C like with Liv, it could be more like 10 with Dorka.

Reaction Score
IMHO Amari's problem is not with her effort, but rather her ability and level of talent.
If she needs to develop more of her talent, then that's for the staff to help her with.
But some players can expend all of the effort in the world and if their not ability is up to UConn standards, then it shouldn't be blamed on effort.

Effort alone cannot turn someone in a gold medalist.
A person can reach their personal best, but that doesn't mean that they will ever be fast or quick enough to satisfy Geno or to win a NC.
Yet some folks seem to want to blame Amari's shortcomings on her effort.
That's not fair to her and I don't think that even Geno can rightfully blame everything on her effort.
Even though Geno may not blame everything on her effort, it seems that some people here routinely do or insinuate as if they know how much effort she actually expends.
That would seem to make such a claim to be an unfair & hasty generalization.

Just like UConn in the NC game, just because they didn't win & score enough points didn't mean that they didn't put in enough effort.
It means that came up short on talent that day for whatever the reasons were.
Everything I’ve heard from Geno in regard to DeBerry’s progress has been about her shortage of effort, desire, consistency, and attention on the court. In fact, the only consistently positive statements he has made about her were in reference to her talent and potential. I think it’s pretty clear he believes she has the talent but has serious doubts as to her effort and desire. All we can do is hope for a Tina Charles like result. Hopefully, the light will click on soon and we will see her realize her obvious potential and she will build her own UConn legacy like Charles did. I’m certainly rooting for her!

Reaction Score
Piath Gabriel had far better potential than Amari, and was playing vastly better at the end of last year. Big, aggressive, good rebounder, and didn't stand outside and throw up impossible three's as does Amari. I do hope Gabriel latches onto a team that values her and will play her.

Regarding Amari, I think she's going to remain on the bench, even with only 11 on the roster. Too many bigs, or guard/forwards, with potential to develop: Ice, Ayanna, Edwards, Ducharme, Griffin. and good players whom we need right now- Dorka. Only if bad injuries plague the team will Amari get off the bench for meaningful minutes.
You may be right about her chances of meaningful minutes but it won’t be because of a lack of talent or potential and it most definitely won’t be because she is less skilled, less talented or has less potential than Gabriel. It is very clear that her future as a “meaningful” member of this team is in her own hands. If she can demonstrate desire and effort in practice and in games, she will be a star here and will likely have a future career in the pros.

Reaction Score
Everything I’ve heard from Geno in regard to DeBerry’s progress has been about her shortage of effort, desire, consistency, and attention on the court. In fact, the only consistently positive statements he has made about her were in reference to her talent and potential. I think it’s pretty clear he believes she has the talent but has serious doubts as to her effort and desire. All we can do is hope for a Tina Charles like result. Hopefully, the light will click on soon and we will see her realize her obvious potential and she will build her own UConn legacy like Charles did. I’m certainly rooting for her!
Tina Charles was always very good. Her frosh year Honorable Mention A/A. her Soph year 3rd Team A/a, her jr year got in the top ten for A/A's.
Geno just exaggerated shortcomings in order to try to get more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom