200 minutes of Playing Time | The Boneyard

200 minutes of Playing Time

Reaction Score
What's your guess about how it will all average out over the season?

Barring injury, here's my guess:

Paige and Azzi will account for 60 minutes between them
Caroline, Nika, and Lou will share 60
Dorka and Aaliyah will split 40
Amari will spell Dorka for 10
Aubrey will get 15
Ice and Ayanna will share 15

With a deep rotation, we'd be able to return to the pressing D that the great teams of the past could do.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Aubrey will get 15

With a deep rotation, we'd be able to return to the pressing D that the great teams of the past could do.
Cool thread, it's been a little while since the last "minutes" thread. :rolleyes:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Good effort, I think it reflects optimism that everyone will be stepping it up.

One quibble, I think Dorka and Aaliyah will average more than 40 combined, even against weaker competition but certainly against the better teams.

It will be fascinating to see how it unfolds this year, though, because the talent is deep and the questions are numerous. That is the case going into some seasons, but not all. There are so many possible ways/lineups/looks that Geno can employ with this group.

I would love to see them press a lot this year as well and I think a big key to making that successful is whether Aubrey can return to full health.

Reaction Score
Minutes often vary wildly over the course of a season or even in a month. A better stat might be a chart keeping a running average of the last 3 games. Those things can be good for seeing trends, both up and down.

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi probably spilt closer to 50 minutes mainly as we won;'t need them to play 30 minutes a game on average. Even Boston didn't play much more than 23 minutes a game last year if I remember correctly.

Dorka and AE split closer to 46 minutes.

Caroline, Nika and Lou share 60 minutes. If they show well they get more of that PT and one of them ends up with 10.

Ice and Ayanna split 30, Aubrey 7, Amari 7 minutes.

I am very optimistic on Ice and Ayanna. Both top 5 prospects similar to Caroline. After a few games they both are probably in the rotation. I think we need both types of players as well, enabling more opportiunities than might be normally expected. From watching Ayanna and Ice in the all star games I think they will adjust well.

Reaction Score
60 minutes Paige and Azzi
20-25 min Ducahrme
25-35 min Nika and Lou
45-55 min Dorka and Edwards
35-50 min Griffin, Amari, Brady, Patterson

Reaction Score
The minutes will change when Geno shortens the rotation for OOC games. It might make more sense to talk about BE minutes and OOC minutes.

Reaction Score
Well, there’s average minutes per game over. The course of the season which includes mop up minutes over weak teams.

Then, there’s “average meaningful minutes” which would be first half minutes and other minutes against pretty solid teams in games that aren’t blowouts. I gather that (in a normal year - unlike last year) Geno gives those minutes only to about 8 players.

For those who offer opinions on minutes in this thread, I would like to see a distinction.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread for the off season. There are so many variables that have minimal impact on the Championship (i.e. number of blow outs, teams we need to with small/large lineup, etc.), my main focus is who will be in the top 7-8 for the NCAA's. Anything else is just a time filler until the season starts.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing like a minutes thread. Right up there with favorite songs on the tuba. If Dorka and AE split 40, our freshmen better be headed to the HOF.
Party Vintage GIF by Beeld en Geluid

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We were lead to believe that Amari had a come to Jesus epiphany. If so I hope she deserves more than 7 minutes. I like her shots, but she has to get her big girl banging on.

Reaction Score
We were lead to believe that Amari had a come to Jesus epiphany. If so I hope she deserves more than 7 minutes. I like her shots, but she has to get her big girl banging on.
This just about catches it for me. I'm really hoping she can do it.

In a video interview posted in another thread, she says she wasn't used to playing against so many kids her size. I can see how that could be disorienting (even demoralizing) for tall kids in their first year. The terms of the competition are really new to them, I suppose, and they need to wrap their heads around it. I doubt guards have this same problem.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I have commented in earlier posts about Amari, she basically played little or no basketball for two years between her junior year of HS and her freshman year at UConn due to the pandemic. For a rising HS Big, that’s a critical gap in her development.

With that said, I am absolutely thrilled that Amari has committed to remain on campus all summer to develop her strength, fitness level and basketball skills. Undoubtedly, she will get a healthy dose of Andrea Hudy & Jamelle….:)

Reaction Score
I like these threads but it's always tough to do. I'm hoping Azzi and Paige are closer to 30 minutes than 40 even against good competition. So this is more of what I hope will happen.

32 PB
28 AE
28 CD
26 DJ
23 Lou
22 Nika
10 AD or AG

Reaction Score
This just about catches it for me. I'm really hoping she can do it.

In a video interview posted in another thread, she says she wasn't used to playing against so many kids her size. I can see how that could be disorienting (even demoralizing) for tall kids in their first year. The terms of the competition are really new to them, I suppose, and they need to wrap their heads around it. I doubt guards have this same problem.
For guards, I would think that it is the speed and quickness of their opponents at a top college level.
(Game in and game out)

Reaction Score

Aubrey will get 15

Perhaps initially, but later in the season, you will see Ice and Ayanna getting more minutes than this--as Coco stated in another post, these two have exactly the skillset and abilities that UConn has long needed: physicality, low post and mid-range scoring abilities. As Coco also predicted--and I agree--one, or both could be starters before the season's end...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The rotation will be these six - 152 minutes
28 Dorka
26 Aaliyah
30 Paige
24 Azzi
24 Caroline
20 Nika

The Bench will be these four - 46 minutes
14 Aubry
11 Ayanna
11 Isunah
10 Lou

Based on Geno comments - front row seating with a great view of the game - 2 minutes
(Beats selling popcorn in the nose bleed seats)
2 Amari

Reaction Score
The rotation will be these six - 152 minutes
28 Dorka
26 Aaliyah
30 Paige
24 Azzi
24 Caroline
20 Nika

The Bench will be these four - 46 minutes
14 Aubry
11 Ayanna
11 Isunah
10 Lou

Based on Geno comments - front row seating with a great view of the game - 2 minutes
(Beats selling popcorn in the nose bleed seats)
2 Amari
Liking this breakdown... none of knows, but it's fun to conjecture.

My point of concern is how we are giving Lou so many minutes. I hope she's as good we all hope, but until we see it on the court vs. top DI opponents, I'd delegate fewer minutes to Lou and more to the similarly unproven yet more highly regarded Ice and Ayanna.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom