1:42 in the 3rd Aaliyah Foul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1:42 in the 3rd Aaliyah Foul

Reaction Score
Early in the 1st quarter the same player clamped E's hand in her elbow and dragged her a few feet. That set off the oh-uh alarm for me so I kept an eye on her the whole game. The hook-toss in the 3rd was really outrageous and flagrant worthy, I agree. But overall she played with a lot of skill and energy. I'm always a bit baffled when a good player chooses to play dirty.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't like it because generally the player attempting to take the charge in that area usually is some help defender that comes out of nowhere. It's one thing to ask a player to slow or redirect their momentum in the open court to avoid a charge...it's an entirely different ask to stop momentum in such a confined area to avoid contact with a player many times who isn't seen until it's too late.
In fact, my understanding is that the no-charge-inside-the-circle rule only applies to secondary (help) defenders. The offensive player's primary defender can still take a charge, even inside the circle. I think that is just for the reason that you suggest.

However, this exception puts even more burden on the officials to distinguish in a split second between primary and other defenders. I think it is an unreasonable expectation on referees.

Reaction Score
In fact, my understanding is that the no-charge-inside-the-circle rule only applies to secondary (help) defenders. The offensive player's primary defender can still take a charge, even inside the circle. I think that is just for the reason that you suggest.

However, this exception puts even more burden on the officials to distinguish in a split second between primary and other defenders. I think it is an unreasonable expectation on referees.
Supposedly, but it's so rare to see them apply it that way. I think it's because it's too much to discern in a crowded space and at some point when the offense blows by the primary defender and is "picked up" by someone else then the help becomes primary. That's just too much action....too fast. Edwards had a breakaway steal in the last game and I was certain something bad was about to happen at the rim as she tried avoiding the defender(s). I've also noticed a lot of players end up stepping on the foot of the person just standing trying to take the charge when they try to land. Why are jump shooters allowed landing room, but not airborne players trying to make a layup?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Video of a worse incident, IMO, when KLS sister, Karlie was arm locked and tossed, after the half ended. Two refs had clear view. No foul, no review. This was in a GB qualifier game for the FIBA 2022 Tournament, this past November.

Two things to notice, the player who does this #21 in white, for Estonia, slaps her teammates hand after she got up. The second part of the video, from under the hoop, shows exactly what she did. If you notice the red light on the basket was lit, so this was after time expired. Karlie had to sit out the 2nd half in concussion protocol. The player from Estonia, last name Teder, plays for Washington State.

Reaction Score
These refs often see the aftermath and not what actually happened. Which makes sense when they need to look at a replay for 5 minutes for far less. I think prior to next season...they need to review flopping, the little incident contact, ad offensive players invading the vertical space of the defender. As far as I'm concerned, if you jump straight up, then you are in legal guarding position and should have a right to that vertical space. I'm not crazy about the charge circle either. It's too big.

Reaction Score
We need reviews. Referees are not God, some are even crooked.
Reviews for potential serious fouls/intentional fouls ok. General play or common fouls are getting to be reviewed much much too often. IN ONE game recently the opposing coach had way too many common fouls reviewed. The refs should have rejected them or reviewed ALL fouls on both teams--creating a 4 hour game. Reviews should help not hurt the game being played. That game it hurt the flow, it hurt viewing the game, it delayed it too long. Bad. If this becomes common practice Basketball will lose fans and viewers.

Reaction Score
Refs since the orange baskets Neismiths time have been reported having called fouls not on the foul but the reaction to that foul. That leaves a foul taste in ones mouth, if true.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Reviews for potential serious fouls/intentional fouls ok. General play or common fouls are getting to be reviewed much much too often. IN ONE game recently the opposing coach had way too many common fouls reviewed. The refs should have rejected them or reviewed ALL fouls on both teams--creating a 4 hour game. Reviews should help not hurt the game being played. That game it hurt the flow, it hurt viewing the game, it delayed it too long. Bad. If this becomes common practice Basketball will lose fans and viewers.
I don't know the basis for your statement that "... general play or common fouls are getting to be reviewed much too often". The present limitations on what is reviewable mostly preclude this.

Common foul calls are generally not reviewable. The only exception is when there is some reason to think that they are not common fouls, but are intentional or flagrant fouls. If there is contact above the shoulders, that is a basis to review whether the foul may be flagrant. But a referee cannot review whether a charge should have been a block, or vice versa (for example). The famous non-call at the end of last year's UConn-Baylor game was not reviewable and (IMHO) should not have been reviewable, even though it was probably wrong and may have decided the game.

But even in the case where there is a review because of a possible flagrant foul, the referees cannot decide that a foul was called incorrectly, and should be "cancelled" or assigned to a different player or to the other team. Officials may, but rarely do, determine that a flagrant foul occurred that was not called in real time -- this is reviewed at the next dead ball.

A made basket may be reviewed to determine whether it was a 2-point or a 3-point basket, or whether it was out of the shooter's hand before the shot clock or the game clock expired. Or a called foul may be reviewed to determine whether it occurred before or after the clock expired. These reviews are straightforward and generally do not consume much time.

Three second calls and out-of-bounds possession calls are generally not reviewable (although possession after an out-of-bounds play may be reviewed in the last 2 minutes of each half).

All in all, this is a pretty limited list of reviewable situations in most games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Refs since the orange baskets Neismiths time have been reported having called fouls not on the foul but the reaction to that foul. That leaves a foul taste in ones mouth, if true.
Orange? ORANGE?

Peach basket, my friend. We don’t do no oranges

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom