OT: - You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song

Reaction Score
Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention wrote and sang Who Knows Where the Time Goes. I don’t think anyone does it better than Sandy Denny but it has been covered by many fine female singers including Eva Cassidy, Judy Collins and Nina Simone. I’ll flip a coin and go with Judy Collins for this one. Sadly, Sandy Denny died at 31 and Eva Cassidy at 33.

Reaction Score
Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention wrote and sang Who Knows Where the Time Goes. I don’t think anyone does it better than Sandy Denny but it has been covered by many fine female singers including Eva Cassidy, Judy Collins and Nina Simone. I’ll flip a coin and go with Judy Collins for this one. Sadly, Sandy Denny died at 31 and Eva Cassidy at 33.

Sandy Denny is the only guest vocalist to appear on a Led Zeppelin album--singing "The Battle of Evermore" on Led Zep VI. She died from a fall down stairs. Likely caused by drink.

Reaction Score
Original and writer was Chuck Berry...
Love his and Emmylou's
...old school Emmylou and more recent, up-tempo Emmylou..

Tarantino used "C'est la vie" for the dance scene in Pulp Fiction.

Reaction Score
Sandy Denny is the only guest vocalist to appear on a Led Zeppelin album--singing "The Battle of Evermore" on Led Zep VI. She died from a fall down stairs. Likely caused by drink.
I always wondered who was that second voice.

Reaction Score
Someone earlier mentioned Beth Hart. Her version of Memphis Minnie's "The Levee Breaks" is wonderful. I also loved her version of "I'd Rather Go Blind." (Co-written and originally recorded by Etta James).

I saw a picture of her wearing a Sepultera tshirt. This is an extreme metal band from South America. Bone crushing heavy and death metal style vocals. Very odd choice for her. Can’t wait for her version of Roots, Bloody Roots. . Her album of Zep covers is cool.

Reaction Score
Leonid and Friends cover of Chicago’s “Street Player”

Reaction Score
Highway Song - Alex Taylor.

His more famous brother James wrote and recorded it, but Alex's version captures the deep longing of the open highway and the adventures that come along with it.

Reaction Score
Embryonic Journey - Hot Tuna live

The original done by the Airplane, but this live version by Hot Tuna is simply wonderfully electric to my ears. Jorma of course was with both groups.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Embryonic Journey - Hot Tuna live

The original done by the Airplane, but this live version by Hot Tuna is simply wonderfully electric to my ears. Jorma of course was with both groups.

I saw Jorma solo a couple of times. If you closed your eyes while he was playing this, it just seemed like there were guitars coming at you from every direction.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty much anything Eva covers, but in particular this one. Yes better than Judy and even Izzy.

Probably, actually the way it was always meant to be sung.

Over The Rainbow - Eva Cassidy

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although Don Henley's version is great. Really like this cover. Written by Henley and Mike Campbell (of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, I guess Tom didn't want it?)

Boys of Summer - Ataris

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, I didn't really listen to the original, though I had heard it. Cause I didn't really listen to Lorde.

Anyway I like this version by The Struts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting cover. TLC's "Waterfalls" Done by Blues Traveler (with Train and Diasha McBride)

Paul McCartney/Wings had a song called "Waterfalls" that started "Don't go jumping waterfalls, please keep to the lake." Hmmm (don't bother looking it up, not one of his best)

Reaction Score
Wooden Ships - Jefferson Airplane

Crosby, Stills, & Nash did the original, but this version by the Airplane is right up there with that one.

The creaking sound you hear at the beginning of the Airplane version is David Crosby's boat, moored in Santa Barbara, CA at the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom