OT: - You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: You Like the Cover More Than the Original Song

Reaction Score

Johnny Cash - Hurt

"Hurt" is a song by American rock band Nine Inch Nails. In 2002, Johnny Cash covered "Hurt" to commercial and critical acclaim. "The related music video is considered one of the greatest of all time. Reznor praised Cash's interpretation of the song for its "sincerity and meaning", going so far as to say "that song isn't mine anymore".

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here's another Townes Van Zandt song covered by Emmylou (and Don Williams). This one has been covered by a who's who of country and folk music.

Reaction Score
Here are three cover versions of songs that are favorites of mine, in no particular order.

Though they had success with writing their own songs, the J. Geils Band did a lot of notable covers. "Ain't Nothin' But a House Party" was originally written by Del Sharh and Joseph Thomas and recorded/released by the Show Stoppers in 1967. This is Geils' live version, circa 1975.

Reaction Score
Another favorite of mine is the cover version of "Who Do You Love" by George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers. This was written by Ellas McDaniel (also known as Bo Diddley) in 1956. Here are George and the Destroyers from a concert in Germany in 1995.

Reaction Score
Pat Boone’s cover of Little Richard’s “Tutti Frutti”.

As Roseanne Roseanneadanna would have said, “never mind”.

Reaction Score
Another favorite of mine is the cover version of "Who Do You Love" by George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers. This was written by Ellas McDaniel (also known as Bo Diddley) in 1956. Here are George and the Destroyers from a concert in Germany in 1995.

Love Quicksilver Messenger Service covers of a few Bo Diddley songs.

Reaction Score

This is also a great cover of "Who Do You Love" by the Band and Ronnie Hawkins

Reaction Score
This song by Roxy Music. There version is very good and has an ethereal quality to it. However, I like the 10,000 Maniacs version better.

Bill Murray sang the Roxy Music version in the movie Lost in Translation. That movie also happened to have one of the greatest opening scenes in movie history.

Reaction Score
Fly Me To the Moon - done in the early 50's by a singer named Kaye Ballard. Sinatra of course had a big hit with it.

But Julie London really does it for me:

Reaction Score
I’m big into punk but I could never connect with X.
I bought a CD anthology of their music based on just this one song and was pretty surprised that I liked a lot more of it than I was expecting.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was gonna stay away from Dylan covers, but the floodgates have opened. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watch Tower has already appeared; he also did Like a Rolling Stone at Monterey. As great as Dylan's version is, Jimi's just blows me away. The guitar work underneath both the talking and vocals is, as you might expect, amazing.

Reaction Score
I was gonna stay away from Dylan covers, but the floodgates have opened. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watch Tower has already appeared; he also did Like a Rolling Stone at Monterey. As great as Dylan's version is, Jimi's just blows me away. The guitar work underneath both the talking and vocals is, as you might expect, amazing.

The Stones also covered it, with Keith saying “thank you Bob” at the end.

Reaction Score
Thee Bee Gees wrote Heartbreaker for Dionne Warwick & Islands in the Stream for Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers. They never recorded them themselves, but covered a medley version of theses songs in their One for All Tour in 1989.

Reaction Score
Tom Waits - Big Joe and Phantom 309. Original was by Red Sovine.

Well, he tossed me a dime as he put her in low
And said: "Have yourself a cup on old Big Joe."
When Joe and his rig roared out in the night
In nothin' flat, he was clean out of sight.

Reaction Score
Although I really enjoyed Cyndi Lauper signing Time after Time, Miles Davis’ take on it is heaven. Sometimes while listening to Miles I can forget the words to the song and just marvel at each note played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom