Year 3 (2024) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Year 3 (2024)

Reaction Score
And the number 1, 2 and 3 priority this offseason is increasing the NIL money available to kids in the portal. By a lot.

Need to get solid kids g5 schools are getting in the portal.

You no longer can just say we need to hit the portal. Of course we do. But we need the money to do so. If we don’t solve that we will have same results.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, what's numbers are we thinking to get UConn competitive with NIL and coaching?

I'm thinking you need about $750k-$1M for a competent defensive coordinator from a G5 school or to get a known position coach from a P4 school.

For NIL UConn probably needs another $1.5M. Let's face it, for UConn spending $500k on one kid is a bad use of money. Most D1 kids who are G5 or buried on P4 benches can be got for $50k max. Sure, there are 25-30 schools who can load up their roster with $100k kids everywhere and a few making way more than that. UConn isn't anywhere near that now and neither are other schools in the 60-80 range.
I wouldn't mind seeing what type of O Coordinator can be found for $1M.

So, I think $3M is the number UConn needs to hire a DC, find a new OC and have NIL money.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Then he better come up with some reasons real quick to get literally anyone interested to play here. We have no conference no NIL and we stink, offers of playing time aren’t close to enough. We’re at the point to just say it and run the tdhusky offense go for every 4th down and every 2 point. We’ll never get off the mat trying to play match up conservative ball.
According to today's press conference, Mora feels good about progress with raising NIL. And if he is talking about having conversations with players about not being good enough, he must feel pretty confident he can bring in higher quality talent via the portal.

I don't think it will be shocking if Mora makes changes on offense. He complains about the offense after almost evey game. I think he is as frustrated as us. And if he doesn't...that means he is hanging all the deficiencies on the quality of players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be fair they probably say the same about facing UCONN.
Nah, I think our game matters to them.

Personally, I don't mind the UMass game because that was a rivalry game in football back when I was in college. I would love for us to have risen beyond it, and for time, we did just that, but now we have regressed and this game has become semi-interesting due to Regional bragging rights.

Reaction Score
According to today's press conference, Mora feels good about progress with raising NIL. And if he is talking about having conversations with players about not being good enough, he must feel pretty confident he can bring in higher quality talent via the portal.

I don't think it will be shocking if Mora makes changes on offense. He complains about the offense after almost evey game. I think he is as frustrated as us. And if he doesn't...that means he is hanging all the deficiencies on the quality of players.
Mora emphasized they will be very aggressive in the portal. 12-14 impact players is what he said. And he seems to be at least somewhat pleased with action that’s taken place with regard to NIL.

Jake Dickert sounding the NIL alarm for wazu:
“Oregon State probably has us by 10X (times), Arizona has us by 20X. USC, Washington, Oregon … who even knows? It’s a whole other planet. That’s part of what we need and it’s very, very important.”

Reaction Score

I will say this. HCJM's skillet is ideally suited to raising money. Whether or not he enjoys spending time on that I have no clue. It is a talent but most probably not a favorite way to spend time

Reaction Score
Not that we are anything to sneeze, but the thought of playing UMass every year sounds so incredibly dull.

Other than a P5 coming to The Rent, it's the only game every year that's guaranteed to have some true excitement. That's even true this year because if we beat them and Sacred Heart, our 3-9 will technically be better than their 3-9. There's no reason we should ditch UMass as an annual rival, especially with both of us as independents.

Speaking of future schedules, does anyone think there's a chance we could play Wazzu and/or Oregon State next season? I imagine those two are scrambling to fill their schedules since they only have three confirmed games and only themselves in the Pac-2.

We still have one opening and potentially two if AAC-bound Army cancels/modifies our series.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So I was gonna post my own thread but then found this.

What will happen during the post season?

1. Will HCJM stay? Personally I think that it is at best 50-50. UConn has shown clearly that it does not have the resources to compete in the age of the portal/NIL.Thus CFB has fundamentally changed since HCJM was hired.

2. If HCJM leaves, who will replace him? Personally I would vote for Chesney.

3. If HCJM does NOT leave;
----- Is a DC hired?
----- Is Charlton replaced?
----- Any other coaching changes?
----- How bad will the exodus outbound be?
----- Will there be any money to hire quality replacement players?

4. Any other major changes such as realignment and other stuff?
On #4, it is possible that UMass and Delaware could pair up to join either the MAC or CUSA.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Other than a P5 coming to The Rent, it's the only game every year that's guaranteed to have some true excitement. That's even true this year because if we beat them and Sacred Heart, our 3-9 will technically be better than their 3-9. There's no reason we should ditch UMass as an annual rival, especially with both of us as independents.

Speaking of future schedules, does anyone think there's a chance we could play Wazzu and/or Oregon State next season? I imagine those two are scrambling to fill their schedules since they only have three confirmed games and only themselves in the Pac-2.

We still have one opening and potentially two if AAC-bound Army cancels/modifies our series.
The opening will likely be a home game against an FCS opponent.

Reaction Score
Nah, I think our game matters to them.

Personally, I don't mind the UMass game because that was a rivalry game in football back when I was in college. I would love for us to have risen beyond it, and for time, we did just that, but now we have regressed and this game has become semi-interesting due to Regional bragging rights.
Agree about UMass but BCU, Rutgers and Cuse would feel no need to play UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree about UMass but BCU, Rutgers and Cuse would feel no need to play UConn.
BCU will still play us. As P* conferences keep growing, we are going to find it more and more challenging to schedule a games with their members.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully on Thursday night before Labor Day before we all go to the shore for the weekend on Friday.

Reaction Score
BC you will still play us. As P* conferences keep growing, we are going to find it more and more challenging to schedule a games with their members.
Yep - in 3-4 years the schedule is going to look pretty bad.

Reaction Score
I will say this. HCJM's skillet is ideally suited to raising money. Whether or not he enjoys spending time on that I have no clue. It is a talent but most probably not a favorite way to spend time
You saying his skillet can bring home the bacon?

Reaction Score

Sure, but if the Army game gets cancelled, hopefully it's replaced by an FCS team on 9/9. Then, maybe we could start a home-and-home at the Rent with Oregon State or Wazzu in October. (I'm kind of assuming Cuse is gonna be at Yankee Stadium in November)

Reaction Score
Sure, but if the Army game gets cancelled, hopefully it's replaced by an FCS team on 9/9. Then, maybe we could start a home-and-home at the Rent with Oregon State or Wazzu in October. (I'm kind of assuming Cuse is gonna be at Yankee Stadium in November)

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 49
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this post. The team is competitive in just about every game. I see growth in Roberson. I see growth in multiple players. Cam Edwards was gassed because Rosa was hurt and we don't have depth in certain critical areas. And we really miss some of last year's losses like Guidone, etc.

But this is a competitive team. This isn't the despair that I felt under Diaco and Edsall 2.0. I'm hoping the Huskies can close the year strong, hit the recruiting trail, and build toward next year. I'm confident Mora is the right guy...
I watched the first quarter and honestly not bad. We self destruct every game

Reaction Score
Mora said he’s getting 14 impact players. Done with HS signings.

It sounded, to me, like $$ are in the bag.

We are getting them and can be aggressive. Where are the Benjimans from? Who knows

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom