Year 3 (2024) | The Boneyard

Year 3 (2024)

Reaction Score
Smh.... no more ajada moments for this season.... on to '24. This team is clearly competitive. When the season ends a ton will depend on who's all in once off season workouts start after holidays. We can't/shouldn't be dependent on portal guys that come in LATER in the recruiting process for the most part. Get'em on board for the start of Spring classes. We need guys to be as acclimated to what we're trying to accomplish ASAP. We have players on this team, but need a little more to get over that hump. Same with our staff. No late comers/Johnny come lately guys(in the middle of the season)...
Sure we're better prepared now than before, but we're not prepared to win.

There's something to work with here folks...just sayin....we lost today, Geeez Louise... honestly we didn't like an inferior opponent whatsoever....definitely lacking, but not inferior

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The portal has completely changed any of what you said. To try and plan on thinking of who is going to be here is for nothing. A player who might have solid playing time slates for next season as of right now, may enter the portal come January (Marion,Turner, as examples). There is no consistency anymore, especially at programs like ours. Transfers are the only way to build a program.

We also will hopefully be breaking in a new offensive system with a new OC. Of we aren't, forget next season and beyond. I also hope we are aren't looking for a new HC either next season. I'm still not sold that Mora wasn't laying the groundwork for walking away with his comments a few weeks back.

Let's try and the last 2 winnable games and maybe pull off an upset against JMU like we did vs Liberty last year. Tennessee is a lost cause and a nice payday.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Smh.... no more ajada moments for this season.... on to '24. This team is clearly competitive. When the season ends a ton will depend on who's all in once off season workouts start after holidays. We can't/shouldn't be dependent on portal guys that come in LATER in the recruiting process for the most part. Get'em on board for the start of Spring classes. We need guys to be as acclimated to what we're trying to accomplish ASAP. We have players on this team, but need a little more to get over that hump. Same with our staff. No late comers/Johnny come lately guys(in the middle of the season)...
Sure we're better prepared now than before, but we're not prepared to win.

There's something to work with here folks...just sayin....we lost today, Geeez Louise... honestly we didn't like an inferior opponent whatsoever....definitely lacking, but not inferior

I agree with a lot of this post. The team is competitive in just about every game. I see growth in Roberson. I see growth in multiple players. Cam Edwards was gassed because Rosa was hurt and we don't have depth in certain critical areas. And we really miss some of last year's losses like Guidone, etc.

But this is a competitive team. This isn't the despair that I felt under Diaco and Edsall 2.0. I'm hoping the Huskies can close the year strong, hit the recruiting trail, and build toward next year. I'm confident Mora is the right guy...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need more speed and to be better at reading the play.

Reaction Score
So I was gonna post my own thread but then found this.

What will happen during the post season?

1. Will HCJM stay? Personally I think that it is at best 50-50. UConn has shown clearly that it does not have the resources to compete in the age of the portal/NIL.Thus CFB has fundamentally changed since HCJM was hired.

2. If HCJM leaves, who will replace him? Personally I would vote for Chesney.

3. If HCJM does NOT leave;
----- Is a DC hired?
----- Is Charlton replaced?
----- Any other coaching changes?
----- How bad will the exodus outbound be?
----- Will there be any money to hire quality replacement players?

4. Any other major changes such as realignment and other stuff?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this post. The team is competitive in just about every game. I see growth in Roberson. I see growth in multiple players. Cam Edwards was gassed because Rosa was hurt and we don't have depth in certain critical areas. And we really miss some of last year's losses like Guidone, etc.

But this is a competitive team. This isn't the despair that I felt under Diaco and Edsall 2.0. I'm hoping the Huskies can close the year strong, hit the recruiting trail, and build toward next year. I'm confident Mora is the right guy...
Somewhat agree, and the only despair I feel now is about the defensive secondary, but it is fixable.

Reaction Score
We need several things on this team to be able to be competitive, but I would say the thing we need most of all is more speed. Tennessee's receivers were out running the entire defense to the point they increased the gap every time they completed a pass in open field. Same goes for offense, no separation. Tackling needs to be corrected, too many arm tackles and bad angles. As much as Roberson has improved, I think we need someone that's going to put the ball at the right spot the majority of the time and isn't skiddish to run (which i get because of the knee injury). I think that kid from TX will be the starter next year. Finally, Charlton has to go. He has an idea of what he wants his offense to look like, but refuses to stray from that path to fit the strengths of the players. A lot like GDL. I believe this is all correctable, but I think it's still going to take several years.

Reaction Score
From Mora availability on 11/7/23:

How many CT kids are committed for 2024? When you look at the impact Rosa and Edwards have had, as well as Mitchell and T Jones, it's a no brainer

Reaction Score
How many CT kids are committed for 2024?
Currently 1 - LB/DB Jon Morris (Fairfield Prep). There are a few more holding offers.

CT tends to be very cyclical w/ D1 caliber players (even when including out of state kids attending the state Prep Schools).

Last year (2023) there were 10 including 8 PWO.

Reaction Score
I said elsewhere that I thought last year and this year were very similar. Might have gone better if we had the opposite records. But last year was fun and I hope next year will be again. The last 2 years were have been similar really. Last year we won a bunch of close games. The only 50-50 game we lost was Ball State. This year we lost a bunch. The only 50-50 game we won has been Rice. We need to upgrade in all areas but particularly at linebacker and dback, receiver and we need an offensive system that fits our personnel. I’d like to see a defensive coordinator too. But I put that behind the other needs.

I know it isn’t popular but I’d also like to see either a conference or at minimum a scheduling alliance with one. At least 4 games/ year plus UMass. If we are in a league, I’d still play UMass annually.

Reaction Score
So I was gonna post my own thread but then found this.

What will happen during the post season?

1. Will HCJM stay? Personally I think that it is at best 50-50. UConn has shown clearly that it does not have the resources to compete in the age of the portal/NIL.Thus CFB has fundamentally changed since HCJM was hired.

2. If HCJM leaves, who will replace him? Personally I would vote for Chesney.

3. If HCJM does NOT leave;
----- Is a DC hired?
----- Is Charlton replaced?
----- Any other coaching changes?
----- How bad will the exodus outbound be?
----- Will there be any money to hire quality replacement players?

4. Any other major changes such as realignment and other stuff?
I appreciate his success and him being local. I would be concerned about possible not name recognition and ability to attract good coaches and recruits. Seems similar to Charlton in some respects.

Reaction Score
Somewhat agree, and the only despair I feel now is about the defensive secondary, but it is fixable.
"but it is fixable" Isn't that what Danny Glover said in the Shooter right before Marc Wahlberg lit'em up?
Speed kills. Tyvon Branch was National Champ in the 60m coming out of HS, lightly recruited for FB. Start with speed and coach 'em up! Ask Coach Kashif Moore, he was on Big East 4x100m relay Champs and was All East and All New England in the 60m.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
From Mora availability on 11/7/23:

Everyone on here needs to listen to this press conference. It's available on YouTube. Starts at about the 10:10 mark.

Mora doesn't sound like a guy who has given up. He sounds optimistic and he is working on figuring this out. He is even optimistic about the portal and NIL. Sometimes you hear excerpts of his comments and it sounds like he is making excuses. If you listen to the whole interview you realize he has a plan to get better.

Reaction Score
That’s the first time I heard/realized the impact of recent changes on high school recruits. They need to deal with the reality of the portal/nil as well.

Players will be moving in both directions. Hopefully Uconn can manage a net gain from this new reality.

Reaction Score
I appreciate his success and him being local. I would be concerned about possible not name recognition and ability to attract good coaches and recruits. Seems similar to Charlton in some respects.
UConn is playing as a mid level FCS right now. What they need is an FCS coach who could win an FCS national title with UConn's resources and money. That is Chesney. There is no one in FBS right now that is attractive, who would come here.

Reaction Score
As in other sports, I think the portal is generally bad for high school recruits below the 4-5 star level. If you are a 2-3 star incoming frosh and the right guard can be filled by a transfer from NC State who has had 2-3 years playing and training at the FBS level, why would someone choose to take a flyer on you? Now there might be reasons…someone sees a huge upside, you can get him cheap, you do need to have and develop depth and some continuity. But I think there will be fewer opportunities.

FWIW, my feeling on Mora is he is not interested in leaving. He is a little ticked about how this year has gone and he has a plan to change the trajectory going forward. And he is not interested in being viewed as a guy who should have stayed in the tv booth. Plus I really think he likes working with college kids and in the college game.

Reaction Score
UConn is playing as a mid level FCS right now. What they need is an FCS coach who could win an FCS national title with UConn's resources and money. That is Chesney. There is no one in FBS right now that is attractive, who would come here.
What we need is the people doing the interviewing to know what type of coach is needed here. So far they have struck out.

We need a program builder - a coach who can assemble a staff, a clear communicator, a fundraiser, a motivator, someone who is willing to put in the work to get any advantage they can and get coaches and players that will as well.

There are people that fit the bill, the administration and athletic department need to find that person. No confidence this administration or Benedict can.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Then he better come up with some reasons real quick to get literally anyone interested to play here. We have no conference no NIL and we stink, offers of playing time aren’t close to enough. We’re at the point to just say it and run the tdhusky offense go for every 4th down and every 2 point. We’ll never get off the mat trying to play match up conservative ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom