Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone think that Dom Amore is one of the worst reporters
of UConn men's basketball. I get more from you guys here on the
Boneyard than I do from him.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be surprising to me to find out at least a few of the posters who hang out on the yard are affiliated with the local papers. Heck this place did originate on the Courant website. So with apologies to them, its impossible to keep up with crowd sourcing and they know it. The Courant has been coming to my house for free for months now, I throw it right into the recycling bin. I'm surprised some of the smaller papers like the Rep American are hanging on. I went to read Daigneault's editorial about how $hitty UConn football fans are and found it behind a pay-wall. Who in their right mind is paying for that?

They are in the death spiral. It's only going to shift further to gents like TCF and 3 and blogs like ADB especially because those folks are doing it mostly entirely for the passion and not the paycheck.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I'm glad to know that you guys are passionate about our
Huskies. Living here in Virginia, the Boneyard is my main
source of information.

Amen to that statement from this Boneyarder here in the wilds of Maryland... the business model for print media is obsolete and increasing irrelevant. Papers need to find a way to provide value beyond delivering day old news.

U

UCONNfan1

Same goes for those of us who live out of state. My brother and I are in California. He's in San Diego and I'm in San Marcos. In a way I feel sorry for the reporters - getting breaking news out is almost impossible for them since we see it on twitter or social media just as fast...

Reaction Score
Dom seems like a good guy but he's definitely not passionate about his beat. He's a baseball guy and doesn't seem very well connected. His recruiting coverage is awful. His day to day coverage during the season is generally good/above average. We all seek insight on recruits this time of year which he adds nothing to. I would like some early season perspectives from practice, though. He should be doing that.

Reaction Score
Feeling like the worst is Jeff Jacobs. Made Calhoun miserable. Very upset that he demanded access to Cochran like a spilled child. "Your heart is broken, how does that feel?" I sympathize and don't need him to make me get the kids. And, I'll wait for judgement day too if you don't mind. I don't need the Courant for a moral compass.

Reaction Score
I think Dom gets a bad rap on here. What more do people expect? Did others before him at the Courant do more? He had a slow start but I think he's doing a decent job. Who else left in the horde does more?

Reaction Score
Feeling like the worst is Jeff Jacobs. Made Calhoun miserable. Very upset that he demanded access to Cochran like a spilled child. "Your heart is broken, how does that feel?" I sympathize and don't need him to make me get the kids. And, I'll wait for judgement day too if you don't mind. I don't need the Courant for a moral compass.
Totally agree JJ is a first class jerk. I have read many of his columns only because I read almost everything in the paper. He has had a few excellent columns over the years, and every day I hope I'll see another. Usually always disappointed. The Casey column was just trash.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Jacobs is a self-righteous, pompous twit. But at least he has the ability to occasionally write a great column, which I don't think we had before.
I think some people don't understand the rules of the game with the press. JC's job was to only give out the version of reality that he approved. JJ's job was not to just accept that, but to challenge. He doesn't see himself as a fan, a cheerleader but as a "journalist" whose job it is to see behind the curtain. Given their egos and JC defensiveness about his program/kids, sparks were bound to fly

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dom seems like a good guy but he's definitely not passionate about his beat. He's a baseball guy and doesn't seem very well connected. His recruiting coverage is awful. His day to day coverage during the season is generally good/above average. We all seek insight on recruits this time of year which he adds nothing to. I would like some early season perspectives from practice, though. He should be doing that.

I think Dom gets a bad rap on here. What more do people expect? Did others before him at the Courant do more? He had a slow start but I think he's doing a decent job. Who else left in the horde does more?

There's a difference between a beat reporter and a news reporter.

Most fans want a beat reporter who is constantly digging for information, working sources and providing information outside the game day environment.

Amore is a news reporter. He goes to the events, he writes about them, he goes to the post-game press conference and gets a few quotes.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is a self-righteous, pompous twit. But at least he has the ability to occasionally write a great column, which I don't think we had before.
I think some people don't understand the rules of the game with the press. JC's job was to only give out the version of reality that he approved. JJ's job was not to just accept that, but to challenge. He doesn't see himself as a fan, a cheerleader but as a "journalist" whose job it is to see behind the curtain. Given their egos and JC defensiveness about his program/kids, sparks were bound to fly
The correct answer is that basketball isn't hockey.

Reaction Score
I think the expectations for Boneyarders is much different than Joe Public. If Joe Public is not complaining then he's doing fine.

I never expect to get my Husky news from reporters or beat writers, I come here. Sooner or later all news shows up here including the insider stuff. Not saying that the information here is always legit or accurate, just that I am a sponge (i.e. fanatic) for Husky news and I can only find what I need here.

Reaction Score
Amore displays absolutely no passion for his work. Chardis at the JI was very good. Mike Anthony wasnt great, but at least he seemed to really care about following the team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Print media is almost dead and the dearth of local coverage in the Courant is just one more example. Last night there were three fairly major concerts in Hartford, today there are zero reviews in the Courant. Not one. Apparently Hartford was booming with traffic so heavy it was newsworthy in itself, again nary a mention in today's Courant.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be surprising to me to find out at least a few of the posters who hang out on the yard are affiliated with the local papers. Heck this place did originate on the Courant website. So with apologies to them, its impossible to keep up with crowd sourcing and they know it. The Courant has been coming to my house for free for months now, I throw it right into the recycling bin. I'm surprised some of the smaller papers like the Rep American are hanging on. I went to read Daigneault's editorial about how $hitty UConn football fans are and found it behind a pay-wall. Who in their right mind is paying for that?

They are in the death spiral. It's only going to shift further to gents like TCF and 3 and blogs like ADB especially because those folks are doing it mostly entirely for the passion and not the paycheck.

Checking the server logs daily, there are frequent hits from the various newspapers. At one time I compared 'yard hits to blog posts and tweets, and was amused at the timing. The 'yard comes first (insert Steve Carell's voice saying, "that's what she said.")

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To their credit, Jacobs and DiMauro admitted to using the Boneyard as a source for columns. I don't have a problem with it at all. We usually know things 24 to 48 hours prior to it hitting the press.

I agree with Hooper that Amore needed a little time to grow into the job. Being a MLB (Yanks) reporter he had a just the facts kind of vib about him. You know... games over at 9 - 9:30 know out a quick story reporting the hits and any big defensive plays and then go to bed and start again the next day. He has grown into the job. I don't mind him.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Not really so much a UConn reporter, but Dan Wetzel is my most hated journalist of all time.

Reaction Score

Jacobs isn't really a reporter, though.

Reaction Score
Dom's heart is in the right place I think, he just doesn't take his effort to the next level. I was glad to see him at the GHPA this season but then nothing ever really comes of it in terms of quality articles. There is no reason he, and other beat writers, can't be tweeting at recruits, AAU coaches etc just like 3 does and try to get info as to where recruits are leaning, what visits they have planned, etc. How about doing follow-up articles on ex-Huskies ala Doron Scheffer in SI's Where are They Now article? There's no reason a Connecticut sports writer couldn't have done that article months ago. What is Denham Brown up to these days? What's Souleymane Wane doing? How about Sami Ameziane? I'd be fascinated to see what a beat writer does on a typical day.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I LOVED Dom's article on Shabazz last year. He interviewed friends, teammates, & many others. I thought it really captured what made Bazz so special, on & off the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom