World University Games on ESPNU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

World University Games on ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Game is on ESPNU. USA Guards are playing like they did against Italy. Lots of one on one play, poor Defense and silly turn overs. USA Should win, but in this 1st quarter they are keeping Hungary in the game so far.

USA Leads 20-15 end of 1st quarter.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Offense looks pretty bad. Screens being set in slow motion.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Leads 39-27 at the half. Hungary staying close despite their inability to hit outside shots. Some credit to USA Defense, but they're just missing wide open shots. Hungary scoring most of their points on dribble drives for easy layups.

I like Courtney Williams as a player, but like she does at USF, she's a volume shooter and hasn't seen a shot she won't take. If she to make it at the next level, she has to realize there are other players on the team that can make baskets.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn would demolish this Hungary team with their Team Play. This USA team is a bunch off All Stars that will probably win the Gold Medal because of superior talent, definitely not Superior Play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1: Are you saying they are a "Dream Team." :oops: Anyone know how long they had to practice before the games began?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA finally pulling away lead Hungary 65-34 end of 3rd quarter. USA's pressure defense led to easy baskets.

I am surprised Nina Davis is not have a lot of success on this team.

Definitely not a dream team, as " The Dream Team" knew how to play together and share the ball. Doubt many of the teams that are participating in this tournament have played together long. There are so many tournaments going on in the world at similar times.

The USA Men's team is primarily made up of players from Kansas University, augmented by a couple of players from other teams.

Reaction Score
USA overwhelming Hungary in the second half. Very active on the defensive end. Huge difference in just the way the two teams look. Hungary has a lot of tall and very slim girls on the team. Most look as though they don't have access to neither a nutrition coach nor a strength and conditioning coach. They just can't compete on a physical level with the USA. In the second half, the USA is playing a couple of levels faster than Hungary is. No contest.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Wins 84-43 and into the Semi Finals. USA Dominated play in the 2nd half. IMHO USA Bench players play better team ball then the starters. USA's Superior talent overwhelmed Hungary who couldn't hit an outside sot until late in the game.

USA next probably plays Japan who was leading Australia late in the game.
Russia plays Canada in the other semi-final game.

Reaction Score
I like Wiese's game. Unless she has an open 3, she looks to pass first and is easily our best guard at passing to the low post.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
USA finally pulling away lead Hungary 65-34 end of 3rd quarter. USA's pressure defense led to easy baskets.

I am surprised Nina Davis is not have a lot of success on this team.

Definitely not a dream team, as " The Dream Team" knew how to play together and share the ball. Doubt many of the teams that are participating in this tournament have played together long. There are so many tournaments going on in the world at similar times.

The USA Men's team is primarily made up of players from Kansas University, augmented by a couple of players from other teams.

Out of curiosity, what are your expectations of Davis? She played 20 minutes today and scored 10 points (5/8 shooting), grabbed 6 rebounds and also had two steals and an assist. Seems to me that she is playing within the structure of the offense, thus she is not going to score 20+ points a game. Davis is not the type that is going to try to dominate the ball in this type of environment as she is a team player.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I expected that she would be averaging more minutes/points and rebounds per game. Stats: http://www.usab.com/basketball/media/pdfs/2015/wwug-stats/usa-cumespdf.aspx

Out of curiosity, what are your expectations of Davis? She played 20 minutes today and scored 10 points (5/8 shooting), grabbed 6 rebounds and also had two steals and an assist. Seems to me that she is playing within the structure of the offense, thus she is not going to score 20+ points a game. Davis is not the type that is going to try to dominate the ball in this type of environment as she is a team player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - agree on Davis and the structure of the team usually playing with two bigger post forward/centers means she gets less chance for rebounds as well. She always strikes me as a 'quiet' player at Baylor - not the focus of the team or frequently on the ball, but accumulating stats at a prodigious rate. Will be interested to see how that works with the freshman posts this year - may force her to improve her mid-range and distance game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting I noticed that the WUG lane was widened (something GA talked about wanting). It was a noticeable difference on free throw shooting. Allowed for more space for offensive rebounding and it did seem to make the lane more open.

If anyone watches the games, take note.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
TV Schedule for Monday morning, July 13th:

Women's Basketball: Gold Medal Game - USA v Canada on ESPNU at 5am EDT

I know this is OT but when does play for the Pan American games begin?

Reaction Score
I know this is OT but when does play for the Pan American games begin?
USA begins play on Thursday, July 16 at 9pm.ESPN2 or ESPNU. Same time Friday and Saturday before the medal rounds next week.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA got the Prime time starting time 9PM for every game over Host Country Canada who starts 6 PM every day. ESPN influence

USA begins play on Thursday, July 16 at 9pm.ESPN2 or ESPNU. Same time Friday and Saturday before the medal rounds next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom