WNBA 2024 season | Page 13 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
People seem to be up on Iriafen and down on Brink all of a sudden. The one thing I will say is that Kiki is not the shot blocker that Cameron is. Brink had 7 in limited minutes tonight.

Brink is a more unique prospect with her size, length and all around skill. Kiki is more explosive. Both should be solid pros.

I'm still high on Brink, but the disappointing piece is that she's never learned how to avoid fouls and it was magnified in the tournament. The last 2 weekends she made horribles choices and picked up avoidable fouls. As a senior and 3x All American, you'd expect her to be smarter about picking her battles and knowing the importance of staying on the court even if she gives up a bucket or 2. It nearly cost Stanford in the second round and arguably did cost them in the Sweet 16. Someone with her experience should have better basketball IQ in those moments and shouldn't be fouling out with 7-8 minutes left in the game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The UConn side of the equation covers Huskies (or sisters of former Huskies) playing overseas. So, I noticed the End-of-Year Awards were made just prior to the Final 4 this weekend. There are a number of current (and on-and-off) WNBA'ers.
So here you go:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Takeaway from a WNBA pt. of view: The Chicago Sky had a good season, with:
  • Marina Mabrey making First-Team Euro
  • Elizabeth Williams making second-team Euro
  • Sika Kone named newcomer of the season (the Liberty may regret dumper her, yet)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Why would the Sky do this? 2026 1st rd pick swap could be big

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Why would the Sky do this? 2026 1st rd pick swap could be big
It tells me that there's a specific player(s) they want in the 2024 draft. Enough to move up just one slot to get.
The Sky are betting that the flip-flop of the draft in 2026 will be minimal, at best.
What I don't quite get is trading forward Sika Koné from the Sky for the rights to forward Nikolina Milić.
Milic has been a sometimes good, sometimes eh proposition and Kone is still young and was named newcomer of the year in the EuroLeague. Apparently, that either isn't cutting it or the player they want at #7 is considered better by Sky management.

Pay attention to that selection at #7...if it's a forward or post, that will tell us the answer.

Reaction Score
So, no draft day excitement?
Can't wait to see the grades.

Honestly, I like the idea of what Chicago did. The only issue I somewhat have with it, is that they have some quality vets in front of both Cardoso and Reese. So I don't know if they'll get the playing time and get to show out the way fans probably expect. I thought Rickea made a lot of sense at 3, but still like the idea of twin towers playing together.

I liked what Dallas did. Sheldon, Owusu, and Leite. They finally said we can stop with the 6'6 posts, we may have enough. They went after several guards, one that may be a draft and stash.

I like each of Connecticut's picks, but IDK how any of them make a roster. They have like 16 players already signed up for training camp.

I liked PHX, drafting Jaz Shelley and Charisma Osborne. I like both players, and both are kinda combo guardish. I could see both making the roster.

I like Pili a lot, but I did think that was a bit of a reach. I don't understand what Vegas is doing. Similar to Connecticut, I like the individual players but after signing Hartley, and after Colson's postseason, does Faire really have a legit shot at making the roster.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I like Pili a lot, but I did think that was a bit of a reach. I don't understand what Vegas is doing. Similar to Connecticut, I like the individual players but after signing Hartley, and after Colson's postseason, does Faire really have a legit shot at making the roster.
All of Vegas's picks were second rounders. Anything after the first round is a long shot to make a team, I'd say they got very good value for where they were picking. Remains to be seen if any of them make the roster, but again, it's not like they were expecting to build up their depth without having any first round picks.

Hartley can't stay healthy and Colson barely played during the regular or post season.

Okay, it's even worse than I thought for Bria. She's played in a TOTAL of 32 games starting w/ the 2020 season. 32 games in 4 years.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
All of Vegas's picks were second rounders. Anything after the first round is a long shot to make a team, I'd say they got very good value for where they were picking. Remains to be seen if any of them make the roster, but again, it's not like they were expecting to build up their depth without having any first round picks.

Hartley can't stay healthy and Colson barely played during the regular or post season.

Okay, it's even worse than I thought for Bria. She's played in a TOTAL of 32 games starting w/ the 2020 season. 32 games in 4 years.
That's a major bummer for Hartley, I didn't realize she played that little. She had a solid start to her career and really caught fire in 2020, only to have her career derailed by an ACL.

I agree though, Aces did well for 2nd round picks. Fair is undersized but an explosive player, Kate Martin is a workhorse and Kitley would've been much higher if not for her ACL.

Roster is stacked though and will be tough to crack. I see the following players as likely locks:
C-Wilson/Stokes
F-Parker/Gustafson
F-Young/Clark
G-Plum
G-Gray/Colson

That's only 3 spots open and you have the 3 rookies, Bria Hartley, Kierstan Bell, Brea Beal, and a few other signees in training camp fighting for those last 3 spots.

Reaction Score
So, no draft day excitement?
The draft, overall, was a success for many teams. Outside of Minnesota (seriously???) and maybe Connecticut (just do not see the vision), I don't have any real complaints. Sparks did very well with all of their picks. So did the Sky. The Fever made obvious picks, but one of those picks was the B1G prize. The Aces, given the picks they had (all second and third round), also performed at a high level. I liked two of Dallas' picks.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what Vegas is doing. Similar to Connecticut, I like the individual players but after signing Hartley, and after Colson's postseason, does Faire really have a legit shot at making the roster.
I think Vegas did well in terms of value picks (Fair and Kitley) and underrated picks (Martin and Jackson). There's going to be plenty of competition in training camp for the last 2-3 spots, and it would not surprise me to see Kierstan Bell not make the cut due to one or two of the rookies brought in (either via the draft or training camp contracts). One of those spots could go to a player like Dyaisha Fair if she can show that she is capable of scoring off the bench and not being too much of a liability defensively. I don't think she's competing directly with Sydney Colson (not sure she'd win that individual battle) so much as she's competing with Kate Martin, Kierstan Bell, Bria Hartley, Kamaria McDaniel, and Brea Beal to prove that she can bring something to the team that they cannot.

I will turn cartwheels if someone (don't care who) can beat out Kierstan Bell. Seriously. No joke.

Re Bria Hartley--I do believe in her ability to provide the team with a real offensive boost off the bench if she's healthy. The issue for her will be to prove that she's completely healthy and can be counted on to be relatively healthy during the season.

Reaction Score
That's a major bummer for Hartley, I didn't realize she played that little. She had a solid start to her career and really caught fire in 2020, only to have her career derailed by an ACL.

I agree though, Aces did well for 2nd round picks. Fair is undersized but an explosive player, Kate Martin is a workhorse and Kitley would've been much higher if not for her ACL.

Roster is stacked though and will be tough to crack. I see the following players as likely locks:
C-Wilson/Stokes
F-Parker/Gustafson
F-Young/Clark
G-Plum
G-Gray/Colson

That's only 3 spots open and you have the 3 rookies, Bria Hartley, Kierstan Bell, Brea Beal, and a few other signees in training camp fighting for those last 3 spots.

There are younger and better players than Colson. I don't know why she would be guaranteed a spot.

Reaction Score
There are younger and better players than Colson. I don't know why she would be guaranteed a spot.
Maybe there are, but those players would want to play and may need to be developed. None of that applies to Sydney Colson. She's sacrificed playing to be on a team (and exist within an organization) that truly values her presence. We don't get to see the true fruits of her labor, but the players and coaches do. According to them, she's helping them put together detailed scouting reports and is instrumental in running the scout team. She's also providing leadership and lighthearted moments during a grueling WNBA season. Those are valuable inputs for any team, let alone a team that is run like the two-time champions. She's the ultimate teammate.

When Sydney was called upon last season, she was okay--certainly not great but not that much of a detriment (at least not to me). She can pressure the ball well because she's still quick enough to do so. Also, she can still get to key spots on the floor offensively even though her shot is eh--not the best. She is who she is, but I have seen and still see worse on rosters.

Now, can we find a 25-year-old who can bring ALL of what Syd brings while also understanding that she's not going to play ahead of Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, or Alysha Clark? Because if she's out there, I'd like for the Aces front office to schedule a meeting with her IMMEDIATELY.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I'd be surprised if she doesn't get a spot. Maybe if Gray still isn't ready to play they'll want a stronger PG, but Colson has been locker room gold and I'd expect they'll keep her on the roster

Reaction Score
It was one of the major talking points of the playoffs last year. Carolyn Peck must have told this story 4-5 times during the finals.
So...your "source" is a hyperbolic comment from Carolyn Peck? :confused::confused::confused:

Okay, then.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a hyperbolic comment it was a story Natalie Williams told her about how important Syd was to the team. Believe it or don’t but it is the current narrative the Aces are going with so save the attitude for them not me.
It was a hyperbolic statement made by a commentator, not a statement of fact from upper management. There's no evidence that points to the Aces players going to management to save Syd's roster spot. Syd outplayed the competition she had (which wasn't much) and won that spot outright.

Reaction Score
It was a hyperbolic statement made by a commentator, not a statement of fact from upper management. There's no evidence that points to the Aces players going to management to save Syd's roster spot. Syd outplayed the competition she had (which wasn't much) and won that spot outright.
You didn’t even hear the statement, clearly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom