WNBA 2024 season | Page 14 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

Reaction Score
You didn’t even hear the statement, clearly.
I know that no GM worth her salt is going to tell a commentator that a player's teammates went to her to save her job. If players had that much pull, then what would be the purpose of a GM (and why would players who were not friendly with the players in question sign to that team)?

So yes, hyperbole.

Reaction Score
I know that no GM worth her salt is going to tell a commentator that a player's teammates went to her to save her job. If players had that much pull, then what would be the purpose of a GM (and why would players who were not friendly with the players in question sign to that team)?

So yes, hyperbole.
you are making it into something it’s not. They core of the team went to management and advocated for keeping a player because of the intangibles she bring. They weren’t going to fire her and they saved her but they all made a push to keep Syd and May another player or two I don’t remember. Look you can choose to disbelieve it but I’m sure it will be told again and again this season so enjoy yelling at your tv

Reaction Score
you are making it into something it’s not. They core of the team went to management and advocated for keeping a player because of the intangibles she bring. They weren’t going to fire her and they saved her but they all made a push to keep Syd and May another player or two I don’t remember. Look you can choose to disbelieve it but I’m sure it will be told again and again this season so enjoy yelling at your tv
I won't need to "yell at my TV" because:
(1) this "story" won't be told and
(2) the Aces three-peat will be satisfying to watch.

Be sure to support the league!

Reaction Score

Takeaway from a WNBA pt. of view: The Chicago Sky had a good season, with:
  • Marina Mabrey making First-Team Euro
  • Elizabeth Williams making second-team Euro
  • Sika Kone named newcomer of the season (the Liberty may regret dumper her, yet)

That was not a good move letting her go.

Reaction Score
Didi Richards
Ariel Atkins
Britney Sykes
Shakira Austin
Stef Dolson

I mean it probably won't happen but that's such a tough defensive lineup. I had AE in their as someone who can switch better, but I like Dolsons presence as a big..

I'm super high on Cunane but idk if she makes the roster anymore.

Reaction Score

Interesting breakdown on the Chicago roster. Rooting for Chennedy Carter to make it. But is Lindsey Allen their starting point guard (respectfully).

Reaction Score

Interesting breakdown on the Chicago roster. Rooting for Chennedy Carter to make it. But is Lindsey Allen their starting point guard (respectfully).

Re Allen, she could be. But there are tons of other unprotected contract options in addition to her, so they certainly aren't stuck with her.

I'm also rooting for Chennedy Carter, as I think she and Dana can get the job done.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Given how much Clark, Brink, Bueckers et al. make in NIL, this list actually makes me feel embarrassed for everyone involved. I think Bayou Barbie makes more from posting two insta reels than she'll make her entire first year in the W.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I didn't realize how deep the Sky are in the front court. Was hoping to see Taya Reimer make a roster but she has an uphill battle competing with the likes of Harrison, Turner, Williams, Angel and Cardoso. James Wade really screwed this franchise over though, they're projected to be at the bottom of the league this year and other teams have the rights to swap picks with Chicago in 2025 and 2026.

Reaction Score
That's a major bummer for Hartley, I didn't realize she played that little. She had a solid start to her career and really caught fire in 2020, only to have her career derailed by an ACL.

I agree though, Aces did well for 2nd round picks. Fair is undersized but an explosive player, Kate Martin is a workhorse and Kitley would've been much higher if not for her ACL.

Roster is stacked though and will be tough to crack. I see the following players as likely locks:
C-Wilson/Stokes
F-Parker/Gustafson
F-Young/Clark
G-Plum
G-Gray/Colson

That's only 3 spots open and you have the 3 rookies, Bria Hartley, Kierstan Bell, Brea Beal, and a few other signees in training camp fighting for those last 3 spots.
I don't think Colson is a given either. I agree that all other things being equal, because she is liked by her teammates she has the advantage if it is close, but it might not be close. Also Vegas will have a roster of 11 not 12, because they have found spending that last $70,000 or so upgrading key rotation players is worth more than a 12th player.

I see the possibility of one or two players from the trio of PG's, Colson, Hartley and Fair, and likely just one wing between Bell and Beal. If a big is added it is likely a waiver pickup and they only keep one of the three PG's in competition IMO.

Reaction Score
I don't think Colson is a given either. I agree that all other things being equal, because she is liked by her teammates she has the advantage if it is close, but it might not be close. Also Vegas will have a roster of 11 not 12, because they have found spending that last $70,000 or so upgrading key rotation players is worth more than a 12th player.

I see the possibility of one or two players from the trio of PG's, Colson, Hartley and Fair, and likely just one wing between Bell and Beal. If a big is added it is likely a waiver pickup and they only keep one of the three PG's in competition IMO.
According to Herhoopstats they can actually afford 12 players this year. Considering how last year ended and how some of the contracts to key players are ending after this season, I believe they attempt to bring some youth/depth to the team.

If Vegas keeps everyone from last year's team plus Gustafson (minus Syd and Bell) then they could afford two vet minimum and two rookie contracts for 12. I would be shocked if they let Syd go. As for now I believe everyone else is competing for those last 3 spots.

Reaction Score
Question from a novice: Does Kate Martin makes the Aces? She was drafted 18th and there's a video of the Las Vegas GM or coach talking with her on the phone, saying how much her IQ will help the team.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kate but aren't the Aces stacked? Will Kate ever play meaningful minutes?

Reaction Score
Question from a novice: Does Kate Martin makes the Aces? She was drafted 18th and there's a video of the Las Vegas GM or coach talking with her on the phone, saying how much her IQ will help the team.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kate but aren't the Aces stacked? Will Kate ever play meaningful minutes?
It's highly unlikely any rookie plays meaningful minutes for the Aces this season. Perhaps in some blowout games. Training camp is an uphill battle, so Kate Martin could make this team but no guarantee, it's really dependent on what the Aces is looking for and how she does in camp.

Also note that being waived(cut) from a team doesn't ends one WNBA dream. Another team may pick her if it doesn't work out. Ashley Joens for example was on like 3 different teams last season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bell was getting semi decent minutes before various injuries. If she gets cut, those minutes will have to be absorbed by someone. But if they keep her, it's hard to see any rookie playing at all for the Aces.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Given how much Clark, Brink, Bueckers et al. make in NIL, this list actually makes me feel embarrassed for everyone involved. I think Bayou Barbie makes more from posting two insta reels than she'll make her entire first year in the W.

No more Bayou Barbie.

Some of the suggestions were hilarious ... Chief Reese, O'Block Bunny, Deep Dish Diva :p

Reaction Score
It's highly unlikely any rookie plays meaningful minutes for the Aces this season. Perhaps in some blowout games. Training camp is an uphill battle, so Kate Martin could make this team but no guarantee, it's really dependent on what the Aces is looking for and how she does in camp.

Also note that being waived(cut) from a team doesn't ends one WNBA dream. Another team may pick her if it doesn't work out. Ashley Joens for example was on like 3 different teams last season.

I am more interested in Kate making the team and being able to absorb some of what Becky Hammon knows for however long as possible.

Kate can play...but my outside looking in says her real money is in coaching. The head coach at South Dakota State makes more than any WNBA player...in salary...and has a million plus buyout.

Reaction Score
I am more interested in Kate making the team and being able to absorb some of what Becky Hammon knows for however long as possible.

Unfortunately, that may last for a few days/couple of weeks at most. Kate will have her work cut out for her in this camp, as she will have to show the coaching staff and management that she can bring something that no one else on the roster can. I don't see her making this team, but she'll have a shot. Camp should be more competitive this season than in past seasons. I'm excited!

Kate can play...but my outside looking in says her real money is in coaching.

She wouldn't have access to that real money for a while, as there are plenty of steps one would have to take if they pursue college coaching. For example, Megan Duffy is the new Virginia Tech head coach. She had a brief WNBA/overseas career in her early 20s before getting into coaching (as an assistant) at 25. This is her first P5 (well, P4) job and she'll be making about $800,000 at the age of 40 (with a chance to hit a million dollars in four years).

The head coach at South Dakota State makes more than any WNBA player...in salary...and has a million plus buyout.

He should. He's a middle-aged man who has been coaching at that same school for over half of his life. Meanwhile, the WNBA is still growing as a league and, until about three years ago, had max contracts that didn't exceed low six figures (about $125,000 or so).

Reaction Score
To add to the previous post WNBA salaries are expected to grow in the next couple of years with the new CBA and TV deals coming in the next 2 years. The WNBA has become more accessible in the past 5 years and the viewership has grown quite a bit as a result each year.

While the current salaries aren't ideal the rookie contracts are pretty close to what US median salaries are. For only 4 months of work doing what they love plus free housing they do pretty decently. I assume with more with the new CBA we can probably expect at least a doubling of their salaries if not more.

Also worth noting they can supplement their salaries not only with endorsements but also playing overseas. Being a WNBA drafted player is probably enough to net at least 200k if not more overseas. Top talent clear over a million dollars depending on where they go.

Then there's always 2nd jobs to supplement the salaries as well. The past two #1 picks have forgone going overseas to make money by starting careers. Aliyah has gone into broadcasting on the Big10 network in the off-season and Rhyne was an assistant coach for Florida.

Long story short there's way more millionaires in women's basketball than casuals would have you to believe. There's no rush to give up basketball for good if money is the concern.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen of HerHoopStats has compiled his annual Training Camp previews for every team in the WNBA.
He points out cap space particulars and has more than a few predictions for those interested in specfic teams and/or players.
Per sage and expert advice from @TheFarmFan , I'm (just) providing a link to the entire story. Enjoy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom