WNBA 2024 season | Page 9 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well if Hartley could actually stay healthy she could help the Aces, but I have my doubts about that. They need to upgrade their guard reserves IMO.

Reaction Score
Well if Hartley could actually stay healthy she could help the Aces, but I have my doubts about that. They need to upgrade their guard reserves IMO.
They do indeed and Hartley has a chance if healthy. Vegas doesn't have a first round pick, but a couple of seconds. That and currently unemployed former WNBA players are their best bet for the last roster spot or two.

Reaction Score

Pelton sees Chicago getting the better end of the trade with Phoenix. He makes what I think is important point when trying to handicap the handicapped Mercury:

'The other key question is what level of play Phoenix will get from Taurasi. If she's willing to move into a complementary role on offense after using 29% of the Mercury's plays last season, her highest mark since 2011,..."

Well that's why the newbie coach is the highest paid in the league. I'm sure he'll have no trouble convincing DT to do this.

Colton after looking at the finances makes it clear there's no way EDD ends up in Vslley of the Sun unless she takes a real haircut.

And finally, the GOAT's health

"The biggest question for Phoenix's hopes of advancing in the 2024 playoffs will be the team's health and depth. Taurasi played 26 games last season and has missed 35 of the Mercury's 108 games over the past three years
I can't really figure out the game-plan for Phoenix. They added significant salaries and at least using the numbers on her hoops stats it appears that they would have trouble resigning Griner for anywhere near her market value even if they filled the rest of the roster with minimum contracts, and only had 11.

The estimates for the salaries may be way off, but on the surface Phoenix looks to be done for a significant addition and still will have trouble finding enough money for Griner. Maybe I was off by one on the number of minimum contracts required to get to 11, but when I looked at it the other day the math didn't work for Phoenix giving Griner anywhere close to market value with the rest of the roster being minimums.

Maybe they have something planned for a salary dump but it almost looks like they may have screwed up the math, or Her Hoops Stats numbers are way off.

Reaction Score
Coach Quinn got some players now. I hope everyone can stay healthy, buy in, and play together. Seattle could be a force in the West.
A nice group of players, but Quinn has screwed up in the past.
It's time she proves she can actually coach a good team, rather then mess it up.

Reaction Score
That feels like a very spot on comparison!
Jackson was a more aggressive and dare I day "dirtier" player on the whole but EDD is no shrinking violet and tougher than I originally thought. I hope she is able to rest, heal, and find herself in a situation in the W that let's us see her talents for a little bit longer.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It's time she proves she can actually coach a good team, rather then mess it up.
I do think Quinn has a lot to prove, but not sure I'd say she's "messed up" a team. The year she took over, they made playoffs but lost to Phoenix (in OT) in single game elimination where B. Stewart didn't play.

Her second year, they lost to Vegas in one of the best series the league has ever seen, a series that was decided by inches.

Last year the roster was gutted and I actually think she got some pretty decent performances out of her team.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter has signed a training camp contract with Chicago. Replacement for Copper? :rolleyes:
Had honestly forgotten all about her, and that she and Liz Cambage were part of Derek Fisher's ill-fated swan song with the Sparks. Honestly, in some respects it's a wonder Nneka stayed in LA as long as she did. She must really like the town given how much of a mess the organization has been...

Reaction Score
Maybe but for who?
They have a lot of cap room left, but also relatively few committed contracts, so if you back out big numbers for Stewart and Jones and near minimums for the rest to get to a minimum roster of 11, I don't think they have enough to make a big acquisition.

Good point on "for who" because the remaining unsigned free agents are largely marginal WNBA players. There are a couple that might be lured by a little more than a minimum contract that could be a minor addition, but EDD is the only major talent that is still out there, and she sounds like she will skip this season.

Reaction Score
They have a lot of cap room left, but also relatively few committed contracts, so if you back out big numbers for Stewart and Jones and near minimums for the rest to get to a minimum roster of 11, I don't think they have enough to make a big acquisition.

Good point on "for who" because the remaining unsigned free agents are largely marginal WNBA players. There are a couple that might be lured by a little more than a minimum contract that could be a minor addition, but EDD is the only major talent that is still out there, and she sounds like she will skip this season.
And several are opting to stay out to play for their respect countries in the Olympics. This further diminishes the pool of quality players available.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The sky are racking up first round picks

Interesting. Allemand can be a nice PG in the W I think, but she misses about every other year with National Team commitments.

Reaction Score
Coach Quinn has a lot to prove but I think she will do well with a healthy squad and deep talent pool. I don't think she screwed up. Heck, you make it sound like Coach Quinn has been coaching for years. This is her 4th year and besides a depleted roster last year, she has been doing a decent job as a coach overall.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. Allemand can be a nice PG in the W I think, but she misses about every other year with National Team commitments.
Yup. What's the saying: "80% of success is showing up?"
Based on your comment, I think Chicago figured they'd draft some kids --- err, younger players -- who will be there, for sure. Maybe not as good, but there. Plus, they have Lindsay Allen and Dana Evans.

They've now got 3 draft picks in the Top 13...now, who will stay or who will go?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
You got to think at #3 they are aiming for Cardoso or Rickea Jackson. At #8, maybe Puoch from Australia? Maybe Jacy Sheldon will be available at #13 (or #8 if they think she has Allie Quigley potential)/

Reaction Score
Any good mock drafts done since Paige announced she's returning. Also what are people's thoughts on Dallas. Satou apparently had surgery today and there were no timelines announced. But they seem like an interesting team with a top 5 pick. I think they may be too talented in some ways. Like I'm not sure their young players will get enough opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom