Will Amida have a 30-15 games this year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will Amida have a 30-15 games this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Going for the block means you're out of position for the rebound. Tough to pull down 15 normally, let alone when you're not boxing out.

Also, if you are shooting from anywhere outside directly underneath the hoop, it's tough to grab a board unless it pops out over the top right to you. Especially for a big.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Walter was a lanky shot blocker who could hit a jumper. That is where Brimah is headed. He is not going to push any NBA centers out of the middle without thirty lb weight gain. He has a nice touch on his three throws that will translate to a nice little jumper. He can run the floor and block shots.

If Brimah hangs out on the perimeter like McCarty did, he's completely wasted his talent.

Reaction Score
If Amida somehow improves to 8 and 6 we will be fine.. The kid has a ways to go but if he's on the floor for 25-28 minutes without continuous foul problems and he improves almost double from 4 and 3 the Huskies will be fine. If he somehow jumps it to 9 and 8 they may be really really good as we know he will be a difference on the other end with shot altering.

And by the way Waltuh McCarty was almost a 6'10 SF so AB will never be him. Think more of a skinny Mutombo.

caw

Reaction Score
If players play as well as some think they will, UConn really will need a recruiting closer because everyone will be gone after this year.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If Brimah hangs out on the perimeter like McCarty did, he's completely wasted his talent.
McCarty I remember won championship at Kent. And flew in out of nowhere to block shots. Drafted in 1st round. Played several years. In real world that is success.
Unless Brimah can add thirty lbs, his future is at the 4. He will have the corner three long before he leaves UConn. The corner three will make him a lot of money and Ollie will have him out there taking it. Unless he gains the weight....

Reaction Score
McCarty I remember won championship at Kent. And flew in out of nowhere to block shots. Drafted in 1st round. Played several years. In real world that is success.
Unless Brimah can add thirty lbs, his future is at the 4. He will have the corner three long before he leaves UConn. The corner three will make him a lot of money and Ollie will have him out there taking it. Unless he gains the weight....

Brimah blocked shots last year well more than twice as often as McCarty ever did in his Kentucky career. No part of your comparison makes sense. You're embarrassing yourself, and you should feel bad.

Reaction Score
Lmao

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
15 boards seems almost impossible to me. If Ollie does want to play up tempo AND if AB becomes the low post weapon I think he will be this year then an early season 30 against one of our lesser opponents seems plausible. 15 boards seems out of the realm of reason.
I see your point.
Ollie would probably take him out of the game if we are crushing a team.

It will be fun to see him try!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Brimah blocked shots last year well more than twice as often as McCarty ever did in his Kentucky career. No part of your comparison makes sense. You're embarrassing yourself, and you should feel bad.
I'm going to be generous and think he's talking about the hustle plays that made Tommy Heinsohn scream out "I love Walter!", which brings to mind the energy that Brimah shows on the court. Maybe?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Also, Walter didn't really like to be inside. Brimah appears to love it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't know where this meme that Emeka wasn't a fantastic offensive player came from, but I've noticed it a number of times lately. Kid was not First Team AA nor 1a to Jameer Nelson's 1 for NPOY just because he could block a few shots. Putting up 18 in the second half against Duke in the 2004 FF was no accident.

I've watched a bunch of games from the 2002 and 2004 years and Emeka was a revelation when he got here. It's easy to forget how good he was. I do think that Amida is more naturally talented when it comes to shooting the ball. But watch Emeka as a freshman and tell me that he was not in a totally different and better level than Amida as a freshman. Emeka was so much stronger and his lateral movement was exceptional for his size. Remember that game against Villanova when he slipped and still recovered to block the shot of ..... (what's his name) shooting guard? Emeka, IMHO, was one of the great college centers (listen to nitpicker Billy Packer rave about him again and again). Amida may have an even higher upside when he gets to the pros if he can put on some weight, but I doubt he will approach Emeka's dominance in college. This is one where I hope I'm wrong, but Amida remains quite slender and it is hard for me to see him being able to rebound the way we need him to. I never thought that Niels would become the rebounder he became, so maybe Amida will find a way.

Reaction Score
I've watched a bunch of games from the 2002 and 2004 years and Emeka was a revelation when he got here. It's easy to forget how good he was. I do think that Amida is more naturally talented when it comes to shooting the ball. But watch Emeka as a freshman and tell me that he was not in a totally different and better level than Amida as a freshman. Emeka was so much stronger and his lateral movement was exceptional for his size. Remember that game against Villanova when he slipped and still recovered to block the shot of ..... (what's his name) shooting guard? Emeka, IMHO, was one of the great college centers (listen to nitpicker Billy Packer rave about him again and again). Amida may have an even higher upside when he gets to the pros if he can put on some weight, but I doubt he will approach Emeka's dominance in college. This is one where I hope I'm wrong, but Amida remains quite slender and it is hard for me to see him being able to rebound the way we need him to. I never thought that Niels would become the rebounder he became, so maybe Amida will find a way.

Travis Knight was always a string bean, and he was an excellent rebounder his junior and senior years. I don't see any reason that Brimah can't be at least that good.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Travis Knight was always a string bean, and he was an excellent rebounder his junior and senior years. I don't see any reason that Brimah can't be at least that good.

Do you see Amida developing into a near lock for NPOY by junior year (assuming he stays)? Not being snide. Just curious.

I'm of a similar opinion to Dogbreath. I think EO will have been a better college player than Amida, but Amida's athleticism and shooting skill might give him higher upside in the pro game. Remember, injury impacted Emeka's career as well.

In college, I put Emeka with Ewing, Mourning, Walton, Sampson, etc. But I'm admittedly very biased.

Reaction Score
Do you see Amida developing into a near lock for NPOY by junior year (assuming he stays)? Not being snide. Just curious.

I'm of a similar opinion to Dogbreath. I think EO will have been a better college player than Amida, but Amida's athleticism and shooting skill might give him higher upside in the pro game. Remember, injury impacted Emeka's career as well.

In college, I put Emeka with Ewing, Mourning, Walton, Sampson, etc. But I'm admittedly very biased.

I tend to doubt that Brimah ever gets quite to where Emeka was as a junior. He was the best player in the country by a mile, and one of the elite centers ever. I don't disagree with you there. I just don't think that Brimah coming into college at around 220 means he can't rebound at an elite level.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I tend to doubt that Brimah ever gets quite to where Emeka was as a junior. He was the best player in the country by a mile, and one of the elite centers ever. I don't disagree with you there. I just don't think that Brimah coming into college at around 220 means he can't rebound at an elite level.

Agree with that. In my opinion, last season, it was more about Brimah not having a clue where to be to rebound effectively, rather than not being heavy/strong enough.

Reaction Score
That is a great recruiting pitch to Diamond Stone! Perception is, only wings thrive under KO. Brimah proved a big can put up numbers here if he works hard.

Diamond Stone could have scored 40 on Coppin State tonight, as a senior in high school. I don't think Ollie is going to be basing many recruiting pitches on a game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom