Why The Selection Committee is a Joke | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Why The Selection Committee is a Joke

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
so Seton Hall is only 1 of the 5 BE teams that won in the NIT first round
and they were the only church leaguer that had an actual chance to make the tournament, they just got squeezed out by bid stealers. so poetic that they are the only one still playing.

its comical that fans of st johns or providence are upset when they didn't even end up in the top 4 out lmao. little miscalculation by those altar boys.

Reaction Score
Duke got a lot of Q1 games being in the ACC.

Freakin Virginia finished 3rd in the ACC.
I don't know, I'm not overly impressed with Auburn's resume. Their best wins are Bama, South Carolina x2, Miss St x2, and Florida. Not exactly any big time wins there considering they haven't beat anyone that's above a 4 seed in this tournament. I don't think Duke is any worse than them personally.

Reaction Score
WHINE whine and whine
If UConn is the best team in the country. it's time to go out and prove it.
The only team that scares me is ISU and I said for everyone to look out for them in November 2023. Then people here crucified Houston for losing to a "lousy" ISU team. Houston then became soft to many. Both teams are very very well coached teams and neither one do I wish to see. UConn has the possibility of punching the team to me who is anywhere near UConn level - ISU.
Bring on all challengers - big boys don't cry and whine, they pull up their big boy pants and play whoever is on the opposing bench.
The way things shook out last year, UConn did not play any of the heavy weights due to upsets. Doesn't mean UConn didn't deserve to be NChamps. They played and beat everyone they faced. They have to do the same this year, but I feel it will be a tougher road, Thats why the St Johns and 1st half of the Marquette NBE Tournament games were important because they will be possibly playing tougher games this time around.
BTW - San Diego State is not the same compared to last season.
Auburn and ISU will be the toughest opponents in this bracket by far.
The committee CLEARLY was out to do no favors for Uconn, but this is correct..who cares.

Use it as motivation, and BEAT who they throw at you.

Nothing better than shoving it right back up their asses

Reaction Score
I don't know, I'm not overly impressed with Auburn's resume. Their best wins are Bama, South Carolina x2, Miss St x2, and Florida. Not exactly any big time wins there considering they haven't beat anyone that's above a 4 seed in this tournament. I don't think Duke is any worse than them personally.

I would rather go to war with Bruce Pearl than John Scheyer. The latter is hiding deficiencies by playing in a substandard conference (seriously, UVA finished 3rd in that conference, and they are garbage).

Reaction Score
and they were the only church leaguer that had an actual chance to make the tournament, they just got squeezed out by bid stealers. so poetic that they are the only one still playing.

its comical that fans of st johns or providence are upset when they didn't even end up in the top 4 out lmao. little miscalculation by those altar boys.

Who are you again? Xavier? Cincy? Ultimately you're not relevant. But then again, we're all fans, right?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And they did so in OT at home against a team outside the top 100 of KenPom. But it's the NIT. Some of these teams were clearly in Cancun already.

Not a great performance by the Big East so far. This year’s bubble was a contest of which team was least deserving of not making the NCAA tournament, because none of the final bubble teams really deserved a bid.

Reaction Score
It‘s in the NCAA’s financial interests to have large market brand teams/conferences go deep. UConn is small market and spells low viewership for them when they go deep.

March Madness NCAA basketball TV viewership 2023 | Statista

This isn‘t about incompetence nor grudges. It’s textbook market manipulation to maximize revenue in a tough economy.

Even when dominant UConn will still be the underdog because we don‘t have a national brand nor a cinderella story to market.

And thats just the way we like it.

Reaction Score

Congrats on your thrilling win over that powerhouse USF by a whopping one point last night. Surprised you were able to pry yourself away from your raucous victory celebration to post here. You are precious.

Reaction Score
Today, the chairman said it was about "mileage", thus keeping teams closer to home.

Seriously, I've seen the committee members be contortionists over the years, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard and something I've never heard them talk about before, "mileage"

Not the strongest one gets the weakest two, nope, "mileage"

Idiots

The Big East was represented by the Butler AD. That peabrain was drawn and quartered
The so called "bluebloods" ganged up on him. They don't like the Big East and especially Uconn disrespecting their royal dominance. Never mind that Uconn has won more national championships than any of them in the last 25 years. We just need to stick it to them this time, as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing says the Selection Committee blew it quite like two 11 seeds (Oregon and New Mexico) being favored over their first round opponents.
New Mexico got absolutely hosed. Everyone had them as a 9 seed or better.

As it turns out, that may be a blessing getting to run through a 6 and a 3 en route to the Sweet 16, at which point who knows what else might have fallen apart in that region.

Reaction Score
I occasionally lurk in this forum as a PC fan. I don't think any PC fan who actually knows how the selection committee works thought PC was getting into the NCAA tournament. No one will pubically admit it, but the committee is under tremendous pressure to have good TV viewership and attendance at these games. The committee doesn't often reward bubble teams making runs in their conference tournaments (unless you win them). PC had to win the Big East Tournament. I think the committee had it right having Seton Hall as the 4th best Big East team. I was not surprised only 3 Big East teams made the NCAA tournament given the bid thieves. Hopefully the conference learns from this. Side note: a lot of ill-mannered PC fans didn't go to the school.

Reaction Score
New Mexico got absolutely hosed. Everyone had them as a 9 seed or better.

As it turns out, that may be a blessing getting to run through a 6 and a 3 en route to the Sweet 16, at which point who knows what else might have fallen apart in that region.
Much better to be an 11 than a 9.

Reaction Score
They put a clown yes man to go on national tv and explain a biased probably fixed process and it came off looking like complete BS. If I passed this guy in the street I would heckle him worse than the opposing fans have heckled Danny. This guy should know anyone who does not live in the P2 world or the Midwest absolutely despises him. They took the competitive balance out of March Madness. It’s only a couple years until people like Dr. PHD FOS…..is gone and they treat this like a business. Can’t wait for that too happen. You know it’s been so long since we were fighting for a high seed I kind of forgot how bad it is. Like when they put UCLA and us in the same bracket during Ray’s last year. The national championship was played when we played UCLA. This Midwest biased has hurt us over the years. We might have 7 chips if it wasn’t for this bias. On the flip side not one team ranked 2-4 in our bracket was happy too see that they were put into our bracket. I will be rooting as much for Pukedo to lose on the sled ride down the mountain as for us climbing the mountain. It’s funny all the people that roasted me when I suggested the selection committee had a mid west biased. Not one is coming at me today. I was hoping that would happen. Especially from my favorite antagonist @navery12. Wonder if he thinks it’s still all in my head. Yesterday brought me back to the nineties and all the bracket BS that happened to us. Of course the conference tournaments did not matter. The Big10 tournament always ends half hour before the selection show. How could they matter. Same as the other P2 conference the SEC. Football money hard at work to protect all the P2 conferences. It only bothers me because it is so obvious. After steaming about it most of last night this is where I landed. They knew we are so dominant the only way to make it competitive is put every team possible that has a style that might work against us in our bracket. And like many said that was finished by last Thursday. We get to select our sites so we get hosed for dominating. Let’s make Brooklyn and TD real home venues. Now it’s time for the fans to step up and buy every ticket. I am willing to contribute $10k to a collective that will buy as money tickets for UConn fans who cannot afford to go. I am spending double that to me in Brooklyn and Boston. Was not going to Boston but now I bought tickets for the second weekend. They are very good tickets and I paid for them just so I can find the ncaa committee group that they send to all venues so I can heckle them. This just opened up a lot of all wounds from when I lived in Chicago and had to argue with all those Midwest people who think they always that the moral high ground as the passive aggressive punks they are. Does anyone remember how bad it was in the it’s getting screwed on selection Sunday years.
5bcff3bd0734c2ffd418099af2615140aa-28-eastbound-and-down2.rsquare.w400.jpg

Reaction Score
Won’t be long before it’s a P2 only tourny.
Right now they are "being nice" and demanding expansion.

It would be prudent to just give it to them whether it is good for the NCAA tourney or not - because the current P4 (future P3) ending the tournament as a significant event is even worse for the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Right now they are "being nice" and demanding expansion.

It would be prudent to just give it to them whether it is good for the NCAA tourney or not - because the current P4 (future P3) ending the tournament as a significant event is even worse for the NCAA.
Is it? I’ll never watch their fb or bb again if it comes to that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There was a time when the committee looked at a team's last 10 or so games as a criterion. They should do that again, even if it's simply the tiebreaker between choosing between two or more mediocre teams. That would've eliminated UVA at a minimum in favor of some team that would've been competitive.

As to Sankey, I'm sure he realizes how much tourney participation matters to the HBCUs that make up the SWAC and MEAC. But he wants to eliminate that money. It never stops down there, does it?

Reaction Score
The more I think about the chair’s comments , the more I realize just how political the process is and how ridiculous his talking points were.

“As the overall #1, UConn got to choose where it wanted to go.”

Ummm….. so, you knew they would choose the east and therefore absolutely stacked that region with what like 4 conference tourney winners, 3 teams in the kenpom top 10 and the toughest 16 seed. lol…. what a joke.

Reaction Score
I agree with Sankey that the less competitive leagues should not receive an auto-bid.
The SEC is 0-3 on day one.

Well the SEC has no issues in the Football Playoff system, maybe turnaround is fair game?

Reaction Score
I kinda like watching St. Peters, Yale and Farileigh Dickinson pick off teams from the power conferences, so leave the auto-bids in I say. Fairfield was a 3 pointer away from making the tourney and we could have had 3 CT schools in because of auto-bids.

Reaction Score
Not a great performance by the Big East so far. This year’s bubble was a contest of which team was least deserving of not making the NCAA tournament, because none of the final bubble teams really deserved a bid.
I think you have to peel the onion to see what happened to the Big East in the NIT. First, Xavier was not good as they were below 0.500 and lost by 2 at Georgia. Carter, BE POY, didn't play for Providence and they looked disinterested. Holloway said Setoh Hall was devastated to not make the NCAAs and he left it up to the team if they wanted to play in the NIT. They looked disinterested. Butler lost by 1.

I wouldn't read anything into the play of the BE in the NIT.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I kinda like watching St. Peters, Yale and Farileigh Dickinson pick off teams from the power conferences, so leave the auto-bids in I say. Fairfield was a 3 pointer away from making the tourney and we could have had 3 CT schools in because of auto-bids.
That's what most of us tune in for during the first and second rounds. Nobody is all that interested in the 8/9 game. The 3/14, 4/13, 5/12 and 6/11 games are generally far more interesting, even if for only a half. We get to see players we might not ever otherwise see. And the 7/10 games more often than not feature a 10 seed that had to get hot just to get in vs some 'meh' 5th place P4 squad.

If it's inevitable that there must be expansion, what I'd like to see is that every AQ gets into the main field. The mediocre teams from the P4 go into an expanded first four, whether that be first eight or first twelve, and maybe have to play two games to get into the main field. We're generally not talking about truly deserving teams, so make 'em work. Hell, use Selection Sunday to play the first knockout round. If the P4 wants this bad enough, everyone will move their conference tourneys so they end on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I guess you get to choose which way you want to be marginalized then.
I’ll probably be dead, but why would I watch sports from the P2 when I live in the middle of so many professional sports teams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom