Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history.

Reaction Score
Good lord does this board suck. Someone starts a thread taking a swing at the mother of all dumpster fires of an athletic program, and UConn fans rush to Rutgers' defense.
No one is defending anything. Rutgers is grand prize winner in realignment. Their BB team is becoming relevant. Those things are indisputable.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Rutgers should change their name. I honestly think it’s part of the problem. Nobody understands what it means and nobody even knows the team name without looking it up. The Rutgers what?
If they were called Ujerz or something like that they would probably be better in sports. It’s inexplicable how bad they have been despite the resources, location, conference so I’m going to say the name is a problem.
Southern Hoboken Institute of Technology

Reaction Score

Rutgers should change their name. I honestly think it’s part of the problem. Nobody understands what it means and nobody even knows the team name without looking it up. The Rutgers what?
If they were called Ujerz or something like that they would probably be better in sports. It’s inexplicable how bad they have been despite the resources, location, conference so I’m going to say the name is a problem.
I remember explaining to my shocked golfing buddies who were mostly B1G fans that Rutgers is New Jersey’s Flagship public University, not the small private Ivy wannabe which they all believed .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good lord does this board suck. Someone starts a thread taking a swing at the mother of all dumpster fires of an athletic program, and UConn fans rush to Rutgers' defense.
For the record most of the comments that you tried painting as defense of Rutgers were merely stating that the B1G received what they were hoping for when they added Rutgers. That Rutgers screwed themselves financially with this move (which is unimaginable) and remained pathetic in high profile sports afterwards (which was expected) have been completely overlooked in your feeble attempts to display some ersatz superiority.

Reaction Score
Rutgers lucked out. It is as simple as that.

UCF, Cincy, and Houston also lucked out. It is just a matter of timing.

Had PAC held together after Colorado, we be in the B12 right now.
I don’t think so. We have no football history, tradition nor track record in their eyes (and this is mostly true) and football is all that matters. Yes, the B12 commish was considering strong basketball programs with national brand awareness but I am not at all convinced that when the votes were going to be cast, UConn was going to be in. And then the PAC-12 blew apart and we are royally screwed.

Stanford and Cal are going to take the place of FSU and Clemson in the ACC. If ND decides to join the ACC then I think we have a reasonable chance to be selected as the 16th ACC team but if ND stays independent then I don’t think we get looked at by the ACC and I don’t think the other P4 conferences make any more moves…for now.

Reaction Score
Rutgers will be in the black. Your solution is for UConn to drop football. Which is nice thing to say after the BE BB schools implored UConn to move up their timeline in upgrading FB. I suppose that if the split happens, and UConn is on the outside looking in, they will drop FB but not before then is my guess. Providence is all in BB, they haven't really won anything of consequence in their most invested in sport, but congrats on your decent little run with Cooley.

Reaction Score
So Rutgers should have kept their football in the AAC ?
You may have some legitimate points
But PC is a small private school without a football team .
The Big East football playing schools didn’t have the same options as schools like PC
Their choice were were either stay in AAC which had a pretty large geographic footprint for minimal compensation or try to get into a conference with more stability . To be honest even the C7 who bailed out had to shelve the original Big East concept and go to Nebraska and Indianapolis , as well as Wisconsin and Chicago to survive , So your post is a tad hypocritical.? The C7 pretty much as a block rejected the Media Deal thst might have prevented that conference demise . Regionally conferences like the pre 2004 Big East are dead .

Reaction Score
The Rutgers AD started so far to the back of the pack when they joined the B1G that they couldn't see the schools in front of them with a telescope. Despite the constant ribbing dished out online and, in the media, they've actually improved their AD quite a bit since they debuted in 2014. They've won individual national titles in a handful of sports, competed at a high level in M/W Soccer and lacrosse, and they're finally starting to build something in one of the major revenue sports. Amazing as it seems RU is in position to sign the top 2 rated basketball prospects in the country this season. This wasn't happening in The AAC.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this forever. People around the country don't know what the hell Rutgers is and have no clue it's the flagship school for New Jersey. They should be the University of New Jersey.

Reaction Score
No one is defending anything. Rutgers is grand prize winner in realignment. Their BB team is becoming relevant. Those things are indisputable.
Let's have them actually do something in basketball before we start talking about them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Rutgers will be in the black.

When, 2090? Read the article.

Funny how Minnesota and Illinois and Maryland have giant debts even with that magical Big Ten payout and have barely paid anything back to the school with it. Further proof that joining any of these leagues, while nice, in no way whatsoever reduces a "defecit" or the amount borrowed. The schools keep doing the same stuff with more money. They don't give it back and play kumbaya with the academic side.

They never have and they never will.

Reaction Score
Let's have them actually do something in basketball before we start talking about them.
Getting to the tournament is something. Its the same something a school like Providence has accomplished.

Reaction Score

Funny how Minnesota and Illinois and Maryland have giant debts even with that magical Big Ten payout and have barely paid anything back to the school with it. Further proof that joining any of these leagues, while nice, in no way whatsoever reduces a "defecit" or the amount borrowed. The schools keep doing the same stuff with more money. They don't give it back and play kumbaya with the academic side.

Debt often seems to be a psychological attitude as much as it is a financial reality.

Reaction Score

I gave up my subscription to The Athletic. As a UConn fan, i found their content lacking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For the record most of the comments that you tried painting as defense of Rutgers were merely stating that the B1G received what they were hoping for when they added Rutgers. That Rutgers screwed themselves financially with this move (which is unimaginable) and remained pathetic in high profile sports afterwards (which was expected) have been completely overlooked in your feeble attempts to display some ersatz superiority.

This is the most pathetic, embarrassing thread in Boneyard history. The OP leads with a good smack at Rutgers, and then UConn fans start defending Rutgers. We have the most beaten, beta fanbase in college athletics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Fry.PNG

Reaction Score
It's the way things are now, not just P5 conferences.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I've been saying this forever. People around the country don't know what the hell Rutgers is and have no clue it's the flagship school for New Jersey. They should be the University of New Jersey.
They are pretending to try but I don't know how they think this helps. We saw these signs on the highway as we drove down to Philly a few weeks ago

dscn1382.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
3. The wanted the NY market

4. Rutgers was an AAU research university
Mostly these two. In addition New Jersey has a population of 9 million people, so that's a lot of eyeballs, and, they also overlapping to the Philadelphia market.

People crap all over the Rutgers addition to the big 10, but it makes perfect sense as a revenue generating move. No one ever believe that it would increase the level of competition or postseason success for the Big Ten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom