Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history. | The Boneyard

Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history.

Reaction Score
Unless the analysis is about how adding Rutgers cost the remaining Big Ten members money, it's a waste of time. It may have hurt Rutgers by sentencing them to a lifetime of futility (and money is only a means to avoiding futility -- money to spend on sports that can't provide results is useless), but I think the Ten knew what they were getting into and found that the benefits were worth the costs.

Reaction Score
“We basically had a 400 percent increase (in network revenue),” Delany says of the Maryland/Rutgers impact. “We went from about $50 million a year to about $200 million a year annual average value. That makes everybody’s eyes pop.”

Doesn't sound like it was a terrible decision to me.

Rutgers had the steepest hill to climb of anyone. They have made - and continue to make - improvements and investments into their facilities. Will it work? Who knows. Doesn't really matter. Not every addition can be a grand slam. Some of these schools have to pile up the losses because not everyone can go 12-0. Every conference needs bottom feeders to feed the middle-tier and top-tier teams.

Rutgers gets Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington into NYC. That is Rutgers' purpose.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rutgers joining the B1G did not hurt the B1G at all. They may have had others paths to gaining a better foothold in the NYC market but Jersey has a very large population base and the addition brought those cables boxes.

I'm not sure how the additional revenue led Rutgers to the amount of debt they currently have but I highly doubt that it is due to B1G membership.

I'm still amazed with the futility Rutgers has had in men's basketball (Pikiell is changing this) as their location alone should make it almost impossible to field such a deficient product. If they just recruited the scraps (after top schools took the top talent) from northern NJ, Camden, NYC and its metropolitan area and Philly and its metro area they could field a very competitive squad year in year out.

Reaction Score
1) Did BTN get additional revenue from NYC?
2) Did BiG recruiting in HSFB hotbed NJ increase?
3) Did BiG games in the NYC area increase alumni engagement and donations?
4) Did BiG applications from the northeast increase?

Reaction Score
Rutgers lucked out. It is as simple as that.

UCF, Cincy, and Houston also lucked out. It is just a matter of timing.

Had PAC held together after Colorado, we be in the B12 right now.
But they didn’t!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rutgers joining the B1G did not hurt the B1G at all. They may have had others paths to gaining a better foothold in the NYC market but Jersey has a very large population base and the addition brought those cables boxes.

I'm not sure how the additional revenue led Rutgers to the amount of debt they currently have but I highly doubt that it is due to B1G membership.

I'm still amazed with the futility Rutgers has had in men's basketball (Pikiell is changing this) as their location alone should make it almost impossible to field such a deficient product. If they just recruited the scraps (after top schools took the top talent) from northern NJ, Camden, NYC and its metropolitan area and Philly and its metro area they could field a very competitive squad year in year out.

I didn't expect to find any Rutgers fans in this thread. Welcome to the Board.

Reaction Score
I guess all these school presidents and board of directors are wrong and FriarJ is right. Its hard for you, because Providence doesn't even offer college baseball. Providence cannot ever land anywhere better than the Big East, so from your eyes, no one should ever look to improve its position. I mean don't look now but Rutgers basketball is showing life in the Big Ten with a real chance at landing the #1, and #2 recruits in this class.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I guess all these school presidents and board of directors are wrong and FriarJ is right. Its hard for you, because Providence doesn't even offer college baseball. Providence cannot ever land anywhere better than the Big East, so from your eyes, no one should ever look to improve its position. I mean don't look now but Rutgers basketball is showing life in the Big Ten with a real chance at landing the #1, and #2 recruits in this class.

Another Rutgers fan. So you would rather root for a bad athletic program in a conference that makes a lot of money than a good athletic program?

Reaction Score
Another Rutgers fan. So you would rather root for a bad athletic program in a conference that makes a lot of money than a good athletic program?
Shut your pie hole fool. Like UConn and you wouldn't take an invitation to the B1G. They were bad in the Big East. They've actually made the NCAA tournament in the B1G. By your logic they should have been happier remaining in the Big East, still sucking at BB and having FB in the independent purgatory.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shut your pie hole fool. Like UConn and you wouldn't take an invitation to the B1G. They were bad in the Big East. They've actually made the NCAA tournament in the B1G. By your logic they should have been happier remaining in the Big East, still sucking at BB and having FB in the independent purgatory.

I fully support your wish to come out as a Rutgers fan.

Reaction Score
I fully support your wish to come out as a Rutgers fan.
Sounds like you want come out as something else. Live your truth. We will support you here buddy. You are safe with us.

Reaction Score
Like i said all those schools leaders are wrong and you are right. There millions of dollars at stake. Athletes are now going where they get the most NIL money. You can stop pretending anyone cares about the welfare of student athletes at any moment.

Reaction Score
I think it came down to a few things

1. I think then Big 10 commissioner Delaney was from Jersey

2. At the time, the Big 10 had a clause that you needed to border another Big 10 university

3. The wanted the NY market

4. Rutgers was an AAU research university

5. NJ was considered very fertile recruiting ground

They checked all the boxes. They also had to wait a few years before they started to earn an equal share of revenue.

Much like BC, they were never able to use their position in the Big 10 to their advantage, but they are moving forward with new facilities, so at least they're on track. Kudos to them

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think it came down to a few things

1. I think then Big 10 commissioner Delaney was from Jersey

2. At the time, the Big 10 had a clause that you needed to border another Big 10 university

3. The wanted the NY market

4. Rutgers was an AAU research university

5. NJ was considered very fertile recruiting ground

They checked all the boxes. They also had to wait a few years before they started to earn an equal share of revenue.

Much like BC, they were never able to use their position in the Big 10 to their advantage, but they are moving forward with new facilities, so at least they're on track. Kudos to them
The Big 10 forgot that Rutgers was irrelevant for decades prior to joining the Big 10 and still are relevant

Reaction Score
Rutgers should change their name. I honestly think it’s part of the problem. Nobody understands what it means and nobody even knows the team name without looking it up. The Rutgers what?
If they were called Ujerz or something like that they would probably be better in sports. It’s inexplicable how bad they have been despite the resources, location, conference so I’m going to say the name is a problem.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Rutgers should change their name. I honestly think it’s part of the problem. Nobody understands what it means and nobody even knows the team name without looking it up. The Rutgers what?
If they were called Ujerz or something like that they would probably be better in sports. It’s inexplicable how bad they have been despite the resources, location, conference so I’m going to say the name is a problem.
North East New Jersey State Agricultural and Transportation College. NENJS A&T just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom