Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why the Big Ten adding Rutgers may have been the worst realignment move in modern history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are pretending to try but I don't know how they think this helps. We saw these signs on the highway as we drove down to Philly a few weeks ago

dscn1382.jpg
For a while there was a re-branding effort to portray Rutgers as the state university of New Jersey. I think this sign is an artifact of this effort. I don't know if it continues to be on the letterhead, but that was a push for a while.

Reaction Score
everyone advocating that this is still a w for rutgers: you saw the whole quarter of a billion dollars in debt, right? you don't even have to read the article. it's right there in the tweet

Reaction Score
everyone advocating that this is still a w for rutgers: you saw the whole quarter of a billion dollars in debt, right? you don't even have to read the article. it's right there in the tweet

Rutgers still isn't getting a full share of B1G revenue. They took out loans from the conference earlier when they were getting much less money and are still paying them off. Once Rutgers has the full share of B1G revenues, they should be in much better shape. They are investing in their programs right now and its staring to pay off. They are starting to win and compete for B1G championships in multiple Olympic sports. They finished dead last in most sports their first several years in the B1G. The investments are starting to pay off. The debt levels will start to come down once they have paid off their loans to the B1G conference and are netting 100% of their share of B1G revenues.

A quarter of a billion dollars - that is two and a half years of B1G revenue at full share before the end of the new media rights contract. It isn't a big figure at all for a B1G program.

Reaction Score
Everyone knew Rutgers was a ridiculous add even at the time. but CR is a big, stupid, corrupt game of musical chairs, and they got a chair.

Reaction Score
Rutgers still isn't getting a full share of B1G revenue. They took out loans from the conference earlier when they were getting much less money and are still paying them off. Once Rutgers has the full share of B1G revenues, they should be in much better shape. They are investing in their programs right now and its staring to pay off. They are starting to win and compete for B1G championships in multiple Olympic sports. They finished dead last in most sports their first several years in the B1G. The investments are starting to pay off. The debt levels will start to come down once they have paid off their loans to the B1G conference and are netting 100% of their share of B1G revenues.

A quarter of a billion dollars - that is two and a half years of B1G revenue at full share before the end of the new media rights contract. It isn't a big figure at all for a B1G program.
where does it say that? It says Rutgers became a "fully vested" member in 2020.

Regardless, they've been in the conference for 11 years and are carrying that much debt, which the taxpayers of NJ are otherwise on the hook for, including the interest.

And you can't just say that's two and half years of revenue at full share because as the article points out, that's assuming the tv money is constant, which is insane to assume in the current cord cutting environment.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For a while there was a re-branding effort to portray Rutgers as the state university of New Jersey. I think this sign is an artifact of this effort. I don't know if it continues to be on the letterhead, but that was a push for a while.

I recall during the height of the George Floyd protests there was a push albeit a small one to change the name from Rutgers (former slave owner) to something akin to University of New Jersey. The crazy thing about Rutgers (the man) is that he only donated the equivalent to $100K today and he was from NY to boot.

Whether you agree/disagree with the reason that prompted the discussion is one thing, but it absolutely should be changed on the basis of it being an idiotic name to begin with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I recall during the height of the George Floyd protests there was a push albeit a small one to change the name from Rutgers (former slave owner) to something akin to University of New Jersey. The crazy thing about Rutgers (the man) is that he only donated the equivalent to $100K today and he was from NY to boot.

Whether you agree/disagree with the reason that prompted the discussion is one thing, but it absolutely should be changed on the basis of it being an idiotic name to begin with.
In the late 80s it was proposed on the basis of a "State pride"/branding kind of a thing.

Reaction Score
where does it say that? It says Rutgers became a "fully vested" member in 2020.

Regardless, they've been in the conference for 11 years and are carrying that much debt, which the taxpayers of NJ are otherwise on the hook for, including the interest.

And you can't just say that's two and half years of revenue at full share because as the article points out, that's assuming the tv money is constant, which is insane to assume in the current cord cutting environment.

Yes, Rutgers and Maryland both became "fully vested" in 2020...........but.........they both took out loans against future earnings while in their buy-in period. Neither are getting full payouts yet, as they are paying back their loans from the conference.

Reaction Score
Oregon and Washington have the option to take out loans from the conference against their future earnings too. They might not need it. Nebraska didn't need it.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Oregon and Washington have the option to take out loans from the conference against their future earnings too. They might not need it. Nebraska didn't need it.
Nebraska also got a larger share.

Reaction Score

I didn't know any of that, always assumed the University was named after Rutger Hauer.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In the late 80s it was proposed on the basis of a "State pride"/branding kind of a thing.

Yeah, as I'm sure you are aware, the block R came to be around the time of the block C. A fair amount of the earlier iterations of their logo made some reference to the state.

Always struck me as odd that NJ didn't have a bonafide flagship carrying the states name and that NY didn't have one either.

Reaction Score
SUNJ should have a 4 year NCAAT streak going right now if not for the COVID year and getting screwed by the committee this season.

As for football, there may not be a more difficult spot for a program to be put in besides the (old?) SEC West.

I'd argue Nebraska has been a bigger disaster.
No way. At least Nebraska has a history to fall back on and they have an excuse being out in corn land. What's Rutgers excuse?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No way. At least Nebraska has a history to fall back on and they have an excuse being out in corn land. What's Rutgers excuse?

Why would history matter? Nebraskas been to 1 NCAAT in like 30 years and hasn't been to a bowl since 2016?

At least SUNJ gives you exposure in the NYC DMA and access to NJ recruits.

Reaction Score
One of my questions about all of this is how is this enjoyable for the fans of these schools? Nebraska to the Big 10 has been a disaster for them on the field. It's going to suck for Oregon and Washington too. Do fans really love flying across the country to watch their once great teams suck in conferences they don't fit in. Do they brag at their tailgates about how great all this money that other people have is?

Reaction Score
The B1G has a signed media rights contract that says they will make that much in the final years of the contract.

Reaction Score
One of my questions about all of this is how is this enjoyable for the fans of these schools? Nebraska to the Big 10 has been a disaster for them on the field. It's going to suck for Oregon and Washington too. Do fans really love flying across the country to watch their once great teams suck in conferences they don't fit in. Do they brag at their tailgates about how great all this money that other people have is?
The fans don't matter in any of this. That said, and despite our precarious position, it's much better for us than for 99% of the power schools. We'll keep filling our trophy case with trophies and enjoying parades while they fill theirs with TV money and tell themselves better luck next year for the 23rd season in a row and we all know their luck won't be any better next year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Rutgers still isn't getting a full share of B1G revenue. They took out loans from the conference earlier when they were getting much less money and are still paying them off.

Ok. So explain Minnesota and Illinois and Maryland also having massive loans that they are NOT paying back despite getting (for Minnesota and Illinois) full shares?

They. Don’t. Get. Paid. Back.

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 49
Reaction Score
Ok. So explain Minnesota and Illinois and Maryland also having massive loans that they are NOT paying back despite getting (for Minnesota and Illinois) full shares?

They. Don’t. Get. Paid. Back.
debt rots out all institutions eventually

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom