Why does women's basketball seem to be more popular overseas than in the U.S.? | The Boneyard

Why does women's basketball seem to be more popular overseas than in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You people are obviously more open-minded about women's basketball than the general public so I'm asking here.
I'm asking because of the situation in the WNBA where players have to go overseas in the off-season to earn the bigger money. I must confess that I'm new to following women's basketball and just really started seriously watching it this summer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well a few things. One I don't know if it is more popular. WNBA teams avg around 7000-10000 in attendance. Ekaterinburg for example (Bird, Taurasi play) arena only holds max 5000. However unlike the WNBA this club has been around since 1938.

Also many of these WBB clubs are just a part of a bigger club. Lot's of them have men's BB teams, Football, ice hockey in Russia, so losing money on the WBB is not really a big deal, they make the money on other things. Kind of like College Football subsidizing the smaller sports here in the States.

And unlike the States they don't really have the college system. So these club teams are it.

Also lot's of these clubs are owned by very wealthy people. Some who just like toys to play with. Lose a little money for Titles.

They earn more there, but I don't know if it necessarily more popular.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question and I am not sure there is a definitive answer - I think the salaries really escalated in Moscow with DT and Bird about 10 years ago - the owner loved the game, had money to burn, and treated at least his foreign players like royalty. Other owners and teams had to follow suit, but when he was murdered a few years back I think some of the money dried up - still very good, just not quite so overboard vs. the profitability of the teams. So as Meyers says some of the teams are more 'vanity items' than money makers for their owners. But I do think they wouldn't exist without most of them braking even.
And in a number of instances there have been teams and or leagues that have gone bankrupt (hasn't helped that all of Europe has been economically challenged the last 5 years.)
And I think European culture has also been significantly less sexist than US culture - many European countries have had women heads of state for example.
And basketball in general is a 'new' sport for them so women aren't being constantly compared to men and the history of a male dominated sport. Interestingly - I think women's soccer in this country has had the same benefit - international soccer is new to this country's consciousness in a similar way and the women have been clearly more successful than their male counterparts - in fact I think women's soccer is more popular in the US than in most of Europe where the soccer culture is so male dominated.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have heard that typical attendance at European games is on the order of 2,000 and the ticket prices are much lower. The explanation for the high salaries is, indeed, that the owners view the teams as money-losing toys, and also the fact that corporate sponsors provide a lot more money to the teams in exchange for advertisements on uniforms, etc.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
because the best basketball in the world is played on the mens side

Reaction Score
Thanks for the replies!

I agree that women's basketball has not caught up with men's but at this time I find it more interesting. The college side of women's basketball just needs another Brittney Griner to offset UCONN. JMO

The WNBA should be even better next year when Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson come back.

I ask questions about women's basketball on other forums and really get a lot of sexist responses. A lot of guys won't even give women's basketball a chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Britney Griner did not offset UConn. Baylor won one National Championship in her four years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Britney Griner did not offset UConn. Baylor won one National Championship in her four years.

The point about offsetting was in terms of exposure and attention, not NCs. Griner was a one-time NC winner and a two-time NPOY. Basically, the worst thing you could say about her is that she's not Maya Moore...and really, who is?

Reaction Score
Why does women's basketball seem to be more popular overseas than in the U.S.?
Because there's betting on WBB overseas, and the betting is probably easier to fix.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Do believe the sponsors are a big part of it overseas; that, and if indeed it is part of a package with other sports under the same club banner, well . . .makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
Do believe the sponsors are a big part of it overseas; that, and if indeed it is part of a package with other sports under the same club banner, well . . .makes sense to me.
There's also tax incentives as well in many countries because sports do not really exist within the school system so these clubs not only provide professional teams, but the equivalent of high school down to elementary level teams for children to play on.

Reaction Score
One more somewhat different perspective on this. Women's basketball is not simply an underdeveloped form of men's basketball. There are those of us who enjoy the play below the rim, the strategy as perfected by Geno, and the fact that it is not as athletic as men's basketball. Women are, let's face it, incapable of doing many of the more extreme things that the men can do. In fact, the men's game is so extreme and above-the-rim that some of us, at least, don't even like watching most of it.

WNBA and, I assume the overseas leagues, value the same things the NBA does, including athleticism and more one-on-one play. Fine if you like that kind of thing. But there are those who have come to appreciate the women's game precisely because it is not a lower-level version of the men's. Of course, we're spoiled by following a team whose coach epitomizes the game of basketball as played by the best.

Men's basketball, particularly at the pro level, looks like a cross between rollerball and the WWF. The WNBA would be just like it if their players could produce those results. WCBB is a different, and better game.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
Astute observations, Tomcat. This no doubt is related to the fact that esteemed basketball greats like John Wooden have offered high praise for the UConn women's basketball program and its style of play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe the fans overseas are move appreciative of the women's game because they don't have the NBA to compare it to instead of appreciating the game for what it is, which is women's basketball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One more somewhat different perspective on this. Women's basketball is not simply an underdeveloped form of men's basketball. There are those of us who enjoy the play below the rim, the strategy as perfected by Geno, and the fact that it is not as athletic as men's basketball. Women are, let's face it, incapable of doing many of the more extreme things that the men can do. In fact, the men's game is so extreme and above-the-rim that some of us, at least, don't even like watching most of it.

WNBA and, I assume the overseas leagues, value the same things the NBA does, including athleticism and more one-on-one play. Fine if you like that kind of thing. But there are those who have come to appreciate the women's game precisely because it is not a lower-level version of the men's. Of course, we're spoiled by following a team whose coach epitomizes the game of basketball as played by the best.

Men's basketball, particularly at the pro level, looks like a cross between rollerball and the WWF. The WNBA would be just like it if their players could produce those results. WCBB is a different, and better game.
While I too prefer WCBB, I think you are overstating or, at least, stating too negatively your view of the WNBA. Pro players play the way they do because they have to. The myth that it doesn't take great teamwork to do what they do has been commented on by several over the years, including Cam on the board and several WNBA coaches in various contexts over the years. Everyone on both teams are just so talented, and generally athletic, that you get what you get.

I dislike men's basketball in any version, but as has been pointed out, a dunk is the highest percentage shot you can take. Again, I think the talent and skills define the game, and make no mistake, there is plenty of teamwork (or so I am told).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if you played men's basketball and your dislike is so strong that you can't watch it you probably wasn't any good. I prefer the women's side because the lack of flash but I also respect the men's skills and athleticism.

Reaction Score
There's also tax incentives as well in many countries because sports do not really exist within the school system so these clubs not only provide professional teams, but the equivalent of high school down to elementary level teams for children to play on.
It's interesting to think about exactly how a sport like basketball has/can develop overseas for young people especially girls.I was stationed in Germany for two years but did not notice what their youth athletic system was like since I didn't speak or read German. I saw soccer fields around the towns but don't recall any basketball courts.

Reaction Score
The WNBA and WCBB are two different things. The talent is or should be condensed and a lot greater in the WNBA. As has been discussed in this forum this season UCONN is head and shoulders above most other college programs.
The WNBA does play pretty good basketball but I think even they don't have as many coaches on the level of Geno so theres that too.

Reaction Score
T.
The WNBA does play pretty good basketball but I think even they don't have as many coaches on the level of Geno so theres that too.

That does seem to be getting corrected since Micheal Cooper has returned to the WNBA coaching ranks. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That does seem to be getting corrected since Micheal Cooper has returned to the WNBA coaching ranks. :rolleyes:
I don't know if even he can get them any farther. The Chicago Sky should take the East next season.

Reaction Score
if you played men's basketball and your dislike is so strong that you can't watch it you probably wasn't any good. I prefer the women's side because the lack of flash but I also respect the men's skills and athleticism.

Interesting concept. I never wrestled, but my dislike of the WWF or WWE or whatever they call it is palpable. In truth, I was a dreadful basketball player, but I actually like men's college basketball that does not look like the NBA, which is what I cannot watch. An absolute favorite thing to do is watch the first round of the men's NCAAs, and cheer loudly for the underdogs, who get by on scrappiness, playmaking and adrenalin.

And speaking of the NBA, I also do not like to watch any sport where the regular season is mostly played at half speed so teams can get to the playoffs, when the real season begins -- I stopped watching a lot of hockey because of this -- and where any team that probably will be in the bottom half of the league then appears to tank their season so they can get a high draft pick. I do not know what that is, but it is not sport, IMHO. In any case, I respect the skill and athleticism -- and for that matter, showmanship -- of the men, just as I grudgingly respect the skill and athleticism of some folks in the WWE. I just cannot stand to watch them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wrestling is staged... even if you never ever wrestled you can become the next Stone Cold Steve Austin, depends on how they write it

Reaction Score
Absolutely it's staged. However, it certainly takes athleticism to perform those staged moves. That's all I'm saying. While the NBA is not staged, it is something other than full-tilt all the time. Can you imagine Geno trying to deal with athletes who are paid hundreds of millions of dollars and are trying to pace themselves for the playoffs. Iverson may have been a wonderful athlete and a real competitor with the game on the line, but he's the one who brought us the quote: "Practice. You;re talking about practice." Imagine Geno's work ethic colliding with that. All I'm saying is I'd rather watch Geno's work ethic than the tainted attitude of the NBA. For that matter, give me an evenly matched women's game played by teams somewhere in the top 50, and I'd rather watch that. You may not get skill, but you'll generally get honest effort.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Absolutely it's staged. However, it certainly takes athleticism to perform those staged moves. That's all I'm saying. While the NBA is not staged, it is something other than full-tilt all the time. Can you imagine Geno trying to deal with athletes who are paid hundreds of millions of dollars and are trying to pace themselves for the playoffs. Iverson may have been a wonderful athlete and a real competitor with the game on the line, but he's the one who brought us the quote: "Practice. You;re talking about practice." Imagine Geno's work ethic colliding with that. All I'm saying is I'd rather watch Geno's work ethic than the tainted attitude of the NBA. For that matter, give me an evenly matched women's game played by teams somewhere in the top 50, and I'd rather watch that. You may not get skill, but you'll generally get honest effort.
we're on the same page

and thats why I continue to smh at the comparison of WCBB to the NBA/Players... money or the lack of money makes a huge difference

Reaction Score
And unlike basketball, that's something that I can attest to through personal experience -- lack of money, that is. It's made me a much better person. Ummm maybe. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom