Why do people root for UConn WCBB? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why do people root for UConn WCBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Shea Ralph when she was in High School in Fayetteville, NC. I was surprised when she went to UCONN because of her mother's friendship with Pat Summitt. So when Shea went to UCONN, I became an instant UCONN fan.

Count me as a #3 and a fan of #33.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have absolutely no ties to Connecticut or even to the Northeast. But UConn women's basketball is something special. Geno's teams play basketball the way Brazil has traditionally played soccer (last World Cup excepted): "the beautiful game." Plus, I was never a fan of Pat Summitt or Tennessee, so that helped too.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm a 3 through and through. I became a fan in 1996 when I first observed this hard working team that played as a TEAM, not as a bunch of Allstars that happened to meet in a schoolyard. They played every game like a bunch of underdogs. Still do. 1998 was heaven to me as the Husky's seemed to put a stick in the eye of plodding me first basketball and all of its institutionalized UT-isms.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thread about how harsh some UConn fans were toward the team during the first half of the USF game led me to ask: why indeed do people root for the UConn WCBB team. I could think of the following reasons, but maybe there are more:

1. They or their loved ones went to UConn/live in CT and they root for all the UConn sports teams in general, although maybe perhaps more this team because of its fame and success.
2. They don't have UConn/CT ties but they like to back a winner (like when I was a very young Philadelphia kid in the 1950s rooting for the Yankees).
3. They don't have UConn/CT ties but are amazed at how Geno produces a team that so closely resembles the ideal of old-school team basketball playing with skill, commitment, and incredible heart (my reason).
Of course, there are aspects of all three reasons that could be shared with another reason. (And I grew up in Norristown, so there's a 4th).

I don't know if this exhausts the possibilities, but I will say that those who root because of either 1 or 2 may be more likely to be impatient with the team in a close game or even if it (gasp!) loses. As a #3 person, I try to focus on the aesthetics and teamwork. Of course, I was frustrated by all the missed lay-ups in the first half, but the fact that the players managed to get those shots counts heavily in my book. Sure, I very much want UConn to win it all this year, but that's because I believe UConn deserves to win it all: they are the most talented, work the hardest, and play the purest form of the game. But I wonder if Geno retires and is succeeded by a coach who puts together a less disciplined team and if Muffet is still putting together her kind of team, whether I would actually become a ND fan. (I admit that possibility because there is no "dislike" button" or "permanently expel from the blog" button, or "find out where his children live" button.) My larger point is that I try to focus on how the kids play, not if they win. And I'm very much hoping that, if next year is a somewhat bumpy transition year, I can be an even better UConn fan, appreciating the challenges and the attempts to overcome them. These are all such great kids (and that's not limited to UConn's team) and it's such a transparently difficult sport, that I hope they do their best on the court but find their greatest happiness with friends and in the classroom. One of the reasons I'm hooked on the BY is that I find so many generous bloggers wishing the best for players from other teams [so long as they don't play for UTenn :)], and that reminds me that these are all young people, doing the best they can. Just that those at UConn generally seem to do better. :)
For me, I rooted for all Philly teams college and pro. The same with all teams in the state. Then I rooted for all BE teams. I figured if my home town team couldn't win, it was ok to root for any team in the conference. Then I saw Rebecca, Kara and Nykeesha play and the rest is history. It was love at first sight. I love them as much I love the Eagles,Flyers, Sixers and Phillies.

Reaction Score
For me, I rooted for all Philly teams college and pro. The same with all teams in the state. Then I rooted for all BE teams. I figured if my home town team couldn't win, it was ok to root for any team in the conference. Then I saw Rebecca, Kara and Nykeesha play and the rest is history. It was love at first sight. I love them as much I love the Eagles,Flyers, Sixers and Phillies.

Number 3 for me as well. Went to high school in Reading Pa. Where Pete Carril was basketball coach. He took a team with a 6ft 3inch center to the state championship. Just as he did later at Princeton ,his teams played real team basketball. Lots of back door, excellent passing and excellent fundamentals. Don't know how much ,if anything Geno picked up from Pete [Norristown is only something like 35 miles from Reading], but the styles are similar. However, Geno's teams have more talent than Pete's did, except maybe for Bill Bradley.
I have UCONN men's and women's season tickets, but The women's game in general, as someone said earlier, is more a game from the 60's. No hot dogging, average size players [as opposed to the men's game where front lines averaging 6 ft 10 are not uncommon ], good fundamentals, good passing. I know it's controversial, but I find the women's game, particularly the UCONN women's game more enjoyable today.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Number 3 for me as well. Went to high school in Reading Pa. Where Pete Carril was basketball coach. He took a team with a 6ft 3inch center to the state championship. Just as he did later at Princeton ,his teams played real team basketball. Lots of back door, excellent passing and excellent fundamentals. Don't know how much ,if anything Geno picked up from Pete [Norristown is only something like 35 miles from Reading], but the styles are similar. However, Geno's teams have more talent than Pete's did, except maybe for Bill Bradley.
I have UCONN men's and women's season tickets, but The women's game in general, as someone said earlier, is more a game from the 60's. No hot dogging, average size players [as opposed to the men's game where front lines averaging 6 ft 10 are not uncommon ], good fundamentals, good passing. I know it's controversial, but I find the women's game, particularly the UCONN women's game more enjoyable today.
I happened to be at Princeton the year Armond Hill led them to the NIT title back when it still meant something. Absolutely loved watching them play, and the terror before and epic relief after top seeded teams had to play Princeton in the NCAAs - they could make the all star teams like KY look absolutely foolish for most of a game and only succumb because they were too short and too slow. He was Wooden without the recruits.

Reaction Score
#1- a friend from Mansfield got me acquainted with UCONN basketball, both men's and women's and we were able to go the old field house on a regular basis back in the 80's, and always got a great and sometimes wet seat. Always preferred the women's game as to me it's more pure, played below the rim and you get to know the girls as they stick around for the four years and to that you tend to get emotionally vested. Rarely if ever missed a game on CPTV as hokey as the intermissions were hawking shirts and stuffed dogs but it was a okay compromise to see most of the games and they (CPTV) were as much of a part of the growth and popularity as anything or anyone else. Then there's Geno and the coaching staff over the years. I like the kids they recruit and the class and decorum they display year in and year out. I'm a PA guy so I associate with the wise-cracking side of Geno. Some might say the program is a bit to corporate but for me I like the uniform look - same sneakers, none of this undershirt and underpants look, no green finger nail polish, etc..

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm a #1, but never followed women's hoops, followed men's hoops from the time I was in Jr. High (for the younger set, sort of the same as middle school). Took notice when the early Geno teams were making some noise in the Bascomb/ Lishness era when Providence was a power, and then was drawn in by the Lobo years, cemented by the first NC and Geno's ability to produce excellence on a pretty regular basis. That we had a personal friendship with Rebecca's parents didn't hurt (my wife and Mrs. Lobo worked together and we became social friends). The head-shaking part of it is that it was said of the Lobo years that even most of their opponents really liked the players, didn't begrudge their successes. Now, we've replaced Tennessee and have become the NY Yankees of the sport. Except for us UConn fans, most people who otherwise follow women's hoops can't wait for us to lose, which as a Yankee fan, I understand.

Reaction Score
1994 my sister suggested I watch a Uconn Womens game my first thought was "your kidding right" I went on and watched and have been watching ever since suffered through CPTV streaming in its infantcy never miss a game I love there Discipline Commitment Responsibility to each other No Hotdoggin just play the game TEAM BALL. It's beautiful I always remember Geno. Quote When asked how he got players to come to ct with our lousy winters "We don't do winter we do basketball season" Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I am in the #1 category. Always followed the men's team but the 1994 women's team caught my attention when they reached the Elite 8. Really got into it during the 1995 season. Interesting to note that in the early years there wasn't a separate board for the women. Posts were included in the men's board although it wasn't gender specific at that time.
Believe it or not, there were years that they lost games. Sometime 5 games. One year 8 games. In any event they were really fun to watch. Always competitive. Always playing hard. And they always stayed for 4 years; well except for the occasional transfers. No "one and done" players. I've gotten great pleasure over all these years watching their special way of playing basketball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Admitting that I'm not a UConn fan - I should point out that when I first because interested in WBB the 2 really exciting things for me were "the shot" (UNC championship) which was the first season I had seen any games on TV, and then UConn's run to their first championship (followed on TV as well). As a non-UConn fan, incidentally, it was the best of both worlds because I could root for both Tennessee and UConn.

UConn does play a very appealing style of basketball, no question. Reality is, though, that I can appreciate a good game, even if the play is ragged. The only games I really, really don't like are "foul fests", and games where teams struggle to get to 40.

Reaction Score
I started following UCONN WBB in 1991 FF and followed off and on till 1995 and became a big fan.
My friend's Father-in-law got men's & Women's tickets and we would go as often as we could get tickets.
1999 we went and got season tickets and have been huge fans since. Used to travel to 1st & 2nd round, Regionals and FF's till the cost became insane!
Love the way the program is run, how hard the girls play, the unselfishness, the players skills, etc.
Love the team but dislike the ticket office/athletic office as $ has become everything and they've dished their loyal fans time after time! And now rumor is they'll raise game tickets to $25.00 a game! When we first got season tix they couldn't do enough for us now everything costs a fortune! Retired fans are being priced out!

Reaction Score
I have been a fan since a freshmen named Laura Lishness became a Husky in 1987.I followed her high school career at Bristol Eastern as well as another future Husky 2 years later Kathy Ferrier who played at Eastern with her.The players on the 87-91 team played hard all the time just like they do today!Also Kerry Bascom back then was a PTPer as Dickie V would say!Who IMO was the person you would want to take the last shot before anybody except Diana!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had liked UConn's mens' team, but I became an incurable fan of the women in the 99-00 season, first watching the win at Tennessee then the national championship game. It was something about the beauty of the execution of the offense. And how hard Shea Ralph played. I have never been in Storrs. And I will say this, when I talk with people who have studied basketball, they often will remark about how much fun it is to watch the UConn women play.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I live in Connecticut (Hartford)... enjoyed the 1995 parade but really started watching when Sales joined the team.

Also when Tracy Lis from Killingly was playing for Providence, she was a scoring machine... but I only followed her HS stats in the Courant late 80's.

Sales I actually went to Bloomfield basketball games

Reaction Score
Started with the men's team, but no longer can take the high blood pressure during the men's game.

Reaction Score
Men's fan since the days of Dom Perno, Wes Bialasuknia, Toby Kimbal, and so many more. Could not get the girls games until ESPN started doing a few and of course CPTV. My roots also include a daughter who graduated in 1988 along with her later to be husband (who was also a cheerleader). Today I am pretty much all in with this team thing that Geno and the girls play to near perfection. It is simple a joy to watch the game as I tend to think how it should be played. My two cents worth, change is coming.

Reaction Score
I graduated from UConn in 1964. Sports at UConn was....well, we lost all of the time. Football,and basketball. I think that we were in the Yankee Conference at that time. I played baseball for UConn from 61 to 64. In 63, I think, can't remember too well anymore, we went to a regional college tournament to play. We did well for a couple of years. When UConn men became competitive in the Big East, I was encouraged and then the National Championship.

It was only by accident, that I bumped into a broadcast of the UConn women playing Tennessee for the National Championship in 95 while surfing through the channels for something to watch. I saw UConn and stayed to watch the game. I did not even know that they had a women's team. I have been following both the men and women's teams ever since then. Football seems to always been second class. I can't remember if UConn has ever been a "dominant" football power.

I was born and raised in ABQ and went East to UConn in 61. Now I am in NE New Mexico on my ranch and split my time between San Antonio, Texas to see my grandchildren.

Reaction Score
Mostly because I fell in love with this style of BB.
I do have ties to UConn as I attended in the BG (before Geno) era. Watched mens BB during Dee Rowe Yankee conference time. Fondly remember games when the old Fieldhouse rocked! Had a hard time following even the men after graduation - most weren't televised, little press, I subscribed to a regional magazine "Eastern College Basketball". Was unaware of the women until 1994. Like many, started following on CPTV and have ever since.
No close links to the team. Had a friend's daughter work for the team for a year. A girl whose relative I know had hoped to get recruited but just missed (she did go D1). Any other link is just emotional on my side!
I continue to follow because of the quality and style of play, the ability to follow the athletes for four years, and the way we are allowed to view the players as people (thank you media and especially lately SNY!) Doesn't hurt that they win a lot...

Reaction Score
My personal history is of a high school kid growing up in Norristown, PA, taking the Frankford "El" to 69th Street and then the subway down to the Penn campus, to the Palestra, where we sat so close to the players and watched the Big Five beat the brains out of each other. It was like some neighborhood brawl, settling family scores from years past. Fabulously intense basketball. For a typically irrational reason--my best friend liked them--I really liked the St. Joseph Hawks, whose amazing coach, Jack Ramsay, I got to know a bit. I played some ball myself, and learned the law of the street: never claim you were fouled, give and accept no quarter, make sure you know how to use your elbows. I memorized Jack Ramsay's book, Pressure Basketball, and tried never to be out of position on defense. Offense takes talent, but defense takes heart.

I gradually grew disillusioned with the NBA, as someone else on this thread noted that these are amazing athletes but have completely outgrown the confines and rules of the game. I've got to the point where I can take or leave men's college basketball because it's been so hurt by the one-and-done athlete. I became aware of WCBB in the mid-to-late 90s, certainly alert to UTenn's dominance, but I began watching closely when Dee came along. That was a complete revelation to me, and through her to UConn generally, being so pleased also to learn that Geno was a fellow Norristownian (but is 6 years younger than I, so no overlap). I also enjoy watching WCBB because it bothers my grown sons so much. They still can't understand why I don't find joy in watching 7' guys stand on their tip toes to dunk the ball, and don't have the vaguest sense that, as Stewie recently said, it's not to compare the women's game to men's. I also watch the Westminister Kennel Show to piss them off (we don't have a dog, and they have no idea what I find fascinating). The more frustrated they become, the more I enjoy it: this year, one of our kids called excitedly to talk about how the Patriots just beat the Chiefs in the play offs: I told him I couldn't talk then, because my wife and I were at Gampel (against Temple). He hung up in disgust. Made my day!

So, I've been a pretty serious Husky fan going on 15 years, and will be so long as they continue to play such an exciting game that is so full of heart. Thanks for all your own contributions!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
real 1st big name that got my attention, think it was a Championship game televised on CBS... she was tuff
ncw_a_mulkey_gb1_576.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle