Why do people root for UConn WCBB? | The Boneyard

Why do people root for UConn WCBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thread about how harsh some UConn fans were toward the team during the first half of the USF game led me to ask: why indeed do people root for the UConn WCBB team. I could think of the following reasons, but maybe there are more:

1. They or their loved ones went to UConn/live in CT and they root for all the UConn sports teams in general, although maybe perhaps more this team because of its fame and success.
2. They don't have UConn/CT ties but they like to back a winner (like when I was a very young Philadelphia kid in the 1950s rooting for the Yankees).
3. They don't have UConn/CT ties but are amazed at how Geno produces a team that so closely resembles the ideal of old-school team basketball playing with skill, commitment, and incredible heart (my reason).
Of course, there are aspects of all three reasons that could be shared with another reason. (And I grew up in Norristown, so there's a 4th).

I don't know if this exhausts the possibilities, but I will say that those who root because of either 1 or 2 may be more likely to be impatient with the team in a close game or even if it (gasp!) loses. As a #3 person, I try to focus on the aesthetics and teamwork. Of course, I was frustrated by all the missed lay-ups in the first half, but the fact that the players managed to get those shots counts heavily in my book. Sure, I very much want UConn to win it all this year, but that's because I believe UConn deserves to win it all: they are the most talented, work the hardest, and play the purest form of the game. But I wonder if Geno retires and is succeeded by a coach who puts together a less disciplined team and if Muffet is still putting together her kind of team, whether I would actually become a ND fan. (I admit that possibility because there is no "dislike" button" or "permanently expel from the blog" button, or "find out where his children live" button.) My larger point is that I try to focus on how the kids play, not if they win. And I'm very much hoping that, if next year is a somewhat bumpy transition year, I can be an even better UConn fan, appreciating the challenges and the attempts to overcome them. These are all such great kids (and that's not limited to UConn's team) and it's such a transparently difficult sport, that I hope they do their best on the court but find their greatest happiness with friends and in the classroom. One of the reasons I'm hooked on the BY is that I find so many generous bloggers wishing the best for players from other teams [so long as they don't play for UTenn :)], and that reminds me that these are all young people, doing the best they can. Just that those at UConn generally seem to do better. :)

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
For me it was always the magic that UCONN brings to a game. I can remember being a freshman in Storrs and not caring one bit about basketball or this new player Diana we had (it had no bearing on my decision to attend) and yet I had friends who kept trying to bring me to a game. I can still remember my first walk into Gampel for a game and seeing the 2002 squad perform sorcery on a court and from then on its been an addiction. I still watch for that magic. It's incredible all these years later and all these championships later Geno produces players that you just have to watch as if under a spell.

At least that's why I root for UCONN :)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Fell in love with women's basketball at the pro level, then was writing some... first player I wrote about (for money) was Shea in 2001. Found the 'yard for research. Found that my rabbit ears TV got CPTV... and fell in love with the team/CPTV/coverage.

Reaction Score
They've been an antidepressant for me for years and years now. They play with elegant synchronization and a joy that I seldom feel, it's damn near impossible to watch and not come away without having some of that rub off. I really take a lot of pleasure from watching others who are very good at what they do, do what they do. UConn never fails to do just that.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I, too, am a #3, with a dram of #2. I first noticed UConn in the '95 championship game against the hated Mountain People. I've had a soft spot for UConn ever since, but became much more interested in recent years when a lot of their games were made available on ESPN and family. Stef Dolson really reeled me in.

Reaction Score
It's all #3. I'm originally from Mass. and always loved the Celtics and the NBA game as a kid back during the 60's- 80's, essentially through the Bill Russell - Larry Bird eras. They meant everything to me. Well, that league has eroded a lot in the last 20 years or so, and I simply have no interest in watching that style of play any longer. They are all millionaires and the team game concept is not what it used to be. Enter UCONN about 20 years ago - loved what Geno was doing and I bought in instantly. Loved the spirit the UCONN ladies show and they are a joy to watch.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I started watching them regularly when CPTV started streaming the games. Other than the occasional game on ESPN, that was the only way to watch them back then. Being in CA - it also meant I got to goof off at 4:00 PM at work one or two days a week during ball season :)

Even with the questionable video streaming back then, it was always fun to see them come out in the second half and put one of those runs together which put the game out of reach (not unlike yesterday).

Reaction Score
I got introduced to the WBB team through an article in SI about Sue Bird. I too am a #3, I love the motion offense, tight defense, and the in game adjustments by the coaching staff. I also started to follow the football team four years ago when a player from our small town got a scholarship. The senior goal keeper on our field hockey team received a scholarship to UCONN this year so I will be following the FH team for a while also. I will say one thing, if I do stop following UCONN WBB I definitely will no follow the Irish, I am a lifetime ND hater.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
bag27 - thanks for the insight on your fandom - been wondering what rock you crawled out from under! :eek::cool: have enjoyed your other posts as well.
CBear01 - I also grew up in Storrs (earlier vintage) and loved playing the game on playgrounds, but never tried to make a team. Had no idea about the women's team which didn't exist until after I left town for college. I got converted after I lost interest in the pro game (great celtics eras) when I came home and watched games with my dad on CPTV. He was really excited about the TASSK force arriving but unfortunately died before they ever got on the floor. And I have enjoyed the memory of watching Sveta and Shea with him, every year since, as I watch the latest version play the beautiful game of my youth.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meant to add:
Category 4 - home town player or teammate or friend gets recruited and signs with Uconn.

PalPA has some of that in his response regarding other Uconn teams.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Type #3, with a dash of type two. As many of you know, I am a retired sportscaster and educator. I got to see and get close to a number of teams and sports in forty years, and the things that were good in those various teams can all be found amalgamated in UConn WBB. They, like the great Wooden program at UCLA conduct ongoing in-game clinics on how basketball ought to be played. Even in a frustrating first half yesterday, the Huskies didn't quit, nor start griping at each other, nor get chippy, nor forget to play energetic (if slightly spotty) defense, etc. They are prepared to play.

I am hooked on UConn WBB because it sets the standard. I tend to like entities in or out of sports that do that.

Reaction Score
I started watching women's basketball 19 years ago when I was asked by some parents to take over my daughter and friends NJB team. That led to coaching a high school coaches kid to being offered a job at the high school ( coach liked my style). I watched many teams. I fell in love with the discipline and execution that I saw when watching Uconn games. I also followed DT being that I was actually able to drive 5 miles to see her in high school.

Reaction Score
My interest in ladies basketball began back in high school when several of my good friends played on my high school's team in the late 1970's. One of my classmates got a scholarship to Immaculata as a matter of fact.

I started rooting for UConn back in the days when they first started challenging Pat Summit and Tennessee (who always came off as such a sour puss on the sidelines when you saw her on TV in my opinion) as they were the underdog at that time. Call it Tennessee fatigue (UConn fatigue has become an issue for many people these days).

I have continued to be a fan because I really like the style of basketball they play and the players and coaching staff (yes even Geno for all the flak he has taken over the years) seem to be such genuinely good people.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I started working at UCONN in 1989, so I was on campus for the men's 'dream season" & the women's first National Championship in 1995. Exciting times! Since then, I have been amazed that Geno has been able to recruit such exceptional young women, who also happen to be pretty darned good basketball players. Most colleges recruit. Geno reloads!

Reaction Score
All #3 for me.
That's how I remember BB being played.
I qualify for #3, as well. I was a two sport athlete at UVM back in the days of the Yankee Conference, so I played many games against UCONN. After graduating, I remained a fan of the New England Universities. I always enjoyed the successes of the Maine and New Hampshire football programs, as well as Connecticut basketball. '95 was the year I jumped on the wagon and it continues to bring me 12 months of enjoyment every year. I love everything about the program, from the off-season recruitment process to the regular season to the NCAA Tournament. But especially I love watching the beautiful transformation of frightened freshmen into confident, creative and contributing women of the world.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo's French braid was featured prominently on several TV channels in Albuquerque, NM around 1994-95. I started following UCONN huskies basketball. I watched Big East men's basketball regularly. Adding the Huskies was easy.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My interest in ladies basketball began back in high school when several of my good friends played on my high school's team in the late 1970's. One of my classmates got a scholarship to Immaculata as a matter of fact.

I started rooting for UConn back in the days when they first started challenging Pat Summit and Tennessee (who always came off as such a sour puss on the sidelines when you saw her on TV in my opinion) as they were the underdog at that time. Call it Tennessee fatigue (UConn fatigue has become an issue for many people these days).

I have continued to be a fan because I really like the style of basketball they play and the players and coaching staff (yes even Geno for all the flak he has taken over the years) seem to be such genuinely good people.
Yes!! And in post-game pressers.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I feel as if the men, especially the NBA players, have simply outgrown every dimension on the basketball court. It is no longer the game I remember. The women have not outgrown the court, and the Husky women seem to play the team game better than I ever remember the men playing it.

Oh, and in reply: #1 and #3, starting with "are amazed"..............................

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo's French braid was featured prominently on several TV channels in Albuquerque, NM around 1994-95. I started following UCONN huskies basketball. I watched Big East men's basketball regularly. Adding the Huskies was easy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, my middle child went to UConn - 1992-1997. Knowing my passion for well executed basketball - Celtice not Knicks - she said Hey Dad I gotta couple of teams for you to check out. And an obsession was born!

Reaction Score
Grew up in CT in the 90's. We're the home-state team. Not more complicated than that.

Reaction Score
I am from CT, so it is #1 for me. It started with mens hoops back in the days of Corny Thompson and Dee Rowe and in lead to all UCONN sports, and how can you not appreciate the sustained excellence of UCONN WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom