Why are people acting surprised? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why are people acting surprised?

Reaction Score
Do I get more angry at our AD for taking the bait on Big 12 and acting like something was going to happen while ignoring ACC possibility, this now having SMU????? possibly join the conference.

Reaction Score
AD Dave did everything right here as far as we can tell. The Big 12 just had a better opportunity that suddenly developed that wasn't there when this process got started late in the spring. We gave it our best shot and came up short. Not sure what else people think we can do here, but sulking isn't going to accomplish anything. Time to move on. The next conference upheaval is just around the corner.

Reaction Score
Yes I do but i mean by shoestring we don't a lot of money from a conference. Yes our budget is based on our States wealth and commitment from the Governor. But would it be fair to suggest these schools in P5 have large budgets as well in addition to the conference money?

So good catch on your part but my statement still stands regardless of wordage.
A shoestring budget refers to what one spends, not what one takes in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And therein is the problem. UConn was never a front-runner, so it wasn't dropped at the 11th hour.
This last iteration sure, but for so many others we have been.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do I get more angry at our AD for taking the bait on Big 12 and acting like something was going to happen while ignoring ACC possibility, this now having SMU????? possibly join the conference.
Lol do you believe that we are not currently being considered by the ACC because they felt jilted by the big 12 's interest in us? If so, you've been watching too many teen dramas.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What’s funny is that the Die Hard Big East UConn Fans think that that it’s some oasis and will never be impacted.

They are in for a rude awakening.

lol. You’re so mad.

NCAABB contract is locked through 2032. Nine years. If there’s a “reckoning” then, either the Big East is involved or I won’t care so whatever, man. Gonna try and enjoy this national championship we literally just won instead of crying that TCU doesn’t like us.

Have fun at your little cult meetings where you don’t UNDERSTAND why we just CANT GET IN as if there was actually anything that could have been done to change this in the last 50 years (there was not).

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
SMU is not getting a look because of who they but where they are. If the ACC adds SMU, the ACC Network will be in Texas. That is worth tens of millions of dollars.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
SMU is not getting a look because of who they but where they are. If the ACC adds SMU, the ACC Network will be in Texas. That is worth tens of millions of dollars.

If SMU is offering to go in for ZERO media payout then I can’t see how anyone is mad at UConn for not doing that, because that’s pointless.

Reaction Score
lol. You’re so mad.

NCAABB contract is locked through 2032. Nine years. If there’s a “reckoning” then, either the Big East is involved or I won’t care so whatever, man. Gonna try and enjoy this national championship we literally just won instead of crying that TCU doesn’t like us.

Have fun at your little cult meetings where you don’t UNDERSTAND why we just CANT GET IN as if there was actually anything that could have been done to change this in the last 50 years (there was not).
A lot of wrong to unpack here.

Reaction Score
lol. You’re so mad.

Yep, I'm going to enjoy them trying to go back to back. The doom and gloom here is insane. We just won another basketball title and have accomplished what 99% of fanbases never get to experience. Zoo doesn't even watch basketball, it's weird.

Reaction Score
I am surprised. Why? Because brand is more important than market. So essentially SMU can buy their way into the league?

SMU isn’t worth it. And the fact the ACC would destroy their conference, and make no mistake, an SMU add is terrible for the conference, is stunning in its shortsightedness.

Tulane, that school was the reason the original big east left. The markets for ACC carriage is a silly, declining area of revenue that is not a growth area. Linear TV is in secular decline. Any move, as a business, by the ACC to add a team for carriage is foolish. That diminishes over time.

Growth is in brands and in excellence and intense fanbase. Location does matter, but I suspect the usual suspects don’t want another New England team, let alone a hoops power.

Big 12 the better spot, as long as football is taken care of in some way (I am not against as 2 year Indy window or something).

When you look at conferences trying to be the next big thing, or conferences acting reactively for the short term, where you wanna be?

Reaction Score
If SMU is offering to go in for ZERO media payout then I can’t see how anyone is mad at UConn for not doing that, because that’s pointless.
Why would ACC take that? Like, that is whoring yourself out. Then, eventually, after used up, you are stuck with them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tulane, that school was the reason the original big east left. The markets for ACC carriage is a silly, declining area of revenue that is not a growth area. Linear TV is in secular decline. Any move, as a business, by the ACC to add a team for carriage is foolish. That diminishes over time.
Please explain

Reaction Score
You know...this CR discussion vis a vis UConn has been a never ending story for the ten years that I have been a yarder.

But the script writers have been something else of late....building tensions, false leads, big surprises.

Who would have thought that Poof! the Pac 12 would be vanished ?

Nonsense ticklers like SMU to the ACC....crazy...but the crazy seems to happen.

CL82

Reaction Score
lol. You’re so mad.

Well, I mean ESPN could've gotten us in the club at any decision point along the way. Still can, absolutely at anytime. It is entirely up to them.

Reaction Score
Well, I mean ESPN could've gotten us in the club at any decision point along the way. Still can, absolutely at anytime. It is entirely up to them.
This has been a constant problem. We keep being used to help float smaller conferences. We came cheap in the American, so we left. Now, Fox has us cheap and as a result, we can’t get into the B12. The ACC is the only conference we can control our own destiny with. Our state government needs to be pressuring ESPN relentlessly.

Reaction Score
lol. You’re so mad.

Cult meeting? You’re talking to the wrong guy.

Reaction Score
A lot of wrong to unpack here.

He’s always been a nonsensical wack job.

We’re not getting into a P5 and the Bog East isn’t some oasis.

I don’t see what he is taking issue with. It’s bizarre.

Reaction Score
The problem with the ACC is they needed a Luca Brasi .....like Sankey or Yormark...someone to make things happen.

Fredo (Kliavkoff) now sleeps with the fishes.

Jim Phillips is bunkered down...gone to the mattresses.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
lol. You’re so mad.

This. Exactly. When and if that reckoning comes nothing will look remotely the same and at that point there is no point worrying about it. because 300 other schools will be left in dust too.

LOL at "cult meeting" that's exactly what the CR board here has been for last 11 years. Excellent

Reaction Score
This. Exactly. When and if that reckoning comes nothing will look remotely the same and at that point there is no point worrying about it. because 300 other schools will be left in dust too.

LOL at "cult meeting" that's exactly what the CR board here has been for last 11 years. Excellent

So let me get this straight.

Your grand plan is for UConn, the most successful basketball program
In history, to be relegated to second class status? And you are ok with that?

You really think we can keep on truckin’ on $4.1M a year?

Dude, we have American soccer players riding the bench in Europe who make more than UConn does.

We should be actively pursuing something better, something more lucrative and something that is sustainable. FOX won’t be coughing up more dough for the Big East. The streaming services are not going to overpay.

Do I think a P5 invite is coming soon? Nope. I’ve always been skeptical and questioned the so called insiders here. I challenge you to show otherwise.

So do I think UConn should give up? Hell no.

We’re oddball. Kind of like BYU or something. We don’t really fit according to the schools in the P5. It’s a perception problem. But someday that could change.

And we make more enemies than friends, with our stupid lawsuits and our idiotic politicians. Like when or Governor shoots his mouth off about Houston. Little things like that matter.

Reaction Score
Why would ACC take that? Like, that is whoring yourself out. Then, eventually, after used up, you are stuck with them.

True.

For argument’s sake though… SMU is making next to nothing in the AAC. And they are paying to produce ESPN + broadcasts.

What’s the difference between making a pittance in the AAC and being on + and making nothing in the ACC and getting an upgrade on every other front.

I think from SMU’s perspective it’s 100% rational.

In fact it’s just as rational as leaving the AAC for a smaller check in the Big East and going Indy in football.

Of all the fanbases, I’m so surprised that this one can’t see the logic here.

Reaction Score
Yep, I'm going to enjoy them trying to go back to back. The doom and gloom here is insane. We just won another basketball title and have accomplished what 99% of fanbases never get to experience. Zoo doesn't even watch basketball, it's weird.

1691587635086.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom