Why are people acting surprised? | The Boneyard

Why are people acting surprised?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why on earth are posters acting surprised the ACC isn't interested in UConn? Did the past 20 years teach you nothing?
I think we all expected to be the front runner early and then dropped at the 11th hour. There's no one respect tradition anymore?

Reaction Score
Why on earth are posters acting surprised the ACC isn't interested in UConn? Did the past 20 years teach you nothing?

Because UConn fans are naive and gullible.

Some guy who knows someone at the Will Call at KU posted some “insider info” and everyone bit.

They are trying to kill us.

What’s funny is that the Die Hard Big East UConn Fans think that that it’s some oasis and will never be impacted.

They are in for a rude awakening.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because a large organization supposedly made up of smart people can make mistakes. They can even make another mistake in the same direction. But eventually you think they might learn from those mistakes and correct them, especially when the intervening data shows clearly that they were mistakes.

Reaction Score

Some guy who knows someone at the Will Call at KU posted some “insider info” and everyone bit.

What’s funny is that the Die Hard Big East UConn Fans think that that it’s some oasis and will never be impacted.

The reality is we prove you can be a national champion on a shoe string. We have to fight for everything and yet we win. We prove that the rest of these schools probably have some funky accounting going on. They get millions of dollars and majority don't win anything or even have winning seasons. We are the proof they are at worst corrupt and at best incompetent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's better odds that I'll be the subject of the next Taylor Swift song than this.
Depends, is the name of this song "crazy ass stalker"?

Reaction Score

I'm really not too worried about basketball and envision even more national championships. I don't see any major changes to what we have in basketball any time soon, it would be suicide. Who knows, maybe 10 or so years down the road but nothing will look like it does now that far down the road. It certainly sucks for football right now though.

The ACC hates us. When the basketball voting block led by Coach K went to bat for us it still couldn't get us in, I don't even know if we still have that. The thing many on here don't seem to get is people around the country know very little about Connecticut and what they do know they don't tend to like. That's why it's so funny when Connecticut people insult giant swaths of the country, talk about fly over country, and our Governor (who I typically like) goes out in public and calls the 4th largest city in the country butt ugly. That stuff just feeds into the negative feeling people have towards CT and it's residents.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There's better odds that I'll be the subject of the next Taylor Swift song than this.
I was on the city bus
Missing realkbuks
It was a Tuesday
Skies were gray
SMU in pencil
Huskies eraser pink
Too tired to think

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For reasons I cannot fathom there are quite a few on here who continually dream that we will end up in the ACC and periodically propose scenarios where they'll finally offer us a spot in their conference.

If we can remain financially competitive for the near term (massive if) we will have the opportunity to surpass all ACC schools in men's basketball and field a football program that could compete with the top of that conference (before anyone claims the latter isn't possible, look at where Pitt was in comparison to us their last 6-8 years in the BE and then look at where they've been the past few years in the ACC).

Personally I believe it would be very satisfying reaching a point where they would start begging us to join, only to tell them we are too good for them. If I hit Mega tonight I'll commit to cover the media revenue gap (where we are vs what we would have received if the B-12 invited us) for the next few years just to assist getting to where we are too good for the ACC.

I'll even throw in a bonus if we get to #7 before UNC.

Reaction Score
Lmao at dudes poopooing UConn being interested in the Big 12 when they were. Sure, they didn't get in, but the ACC has repeatedly told UConn we are just not that in to you.

Reaction Score
Our issue with the ACC is not personal (despite BC) at least in my view.

Our issue is that they desire to be more than what they are (a great bball and Olympic sport league that also plays football). The FSU and UM adds were to change the general perception of who they are and now the rise of clemson only feeds this beast. They are a balanced league that wants to be perceived as a football league. They add members to present a different face (or to retain the institutions that help them present a different face).

We are perfect for the ACC bc we are a mirror image of the old ACC. That is our downfall.

If SMU is added it will be to add dollars (via this crazy DMA / Cable hack loophole that will soon go away) so that they can temporarily placate the institutions that help them feel like a football league. The original ACC members are going to hate when they destroy their conference of like-minded members in order to become that which they will never be.

Reaction Score
The reality is we prove you can be a national champion on a shoe string. We have to fight for everything and yet we win. We prove that the rest of these schools probably have some funky accounting going on. They get millions of dollars and majority don't win anything or even have winning seasons. We are the proof they are at worst corrupt and at best incompetent.
You realize UConn has a $100M AD budget.
Hardly shoestring

Reaction Score
You realize UConn has a $100M AD budget.
Hardly shoestring
Yes I do but i mean by shoestring we don't a lot of money from a conference. Yes our budget is based on our States wealth and commitment from the Governor. But would it be fair to suggest these schools in P5 have large budgets as well in addition to the conference money?

So good catch on your part but my statement still stands regardless of wordage.

Reaction Score
$46.5 million of the $100 mill Athletic Department budget is characterized as Direct Institutional Support....data compiled by Sportico.

Folks not familiar with UConn might be concerned that the amount of Direct Institutional Support is not sustainable over time.

But click on the revenue breakdowns by school....it is somewhat educational...for instance, Texas lists zero Direct Institutional Support..yet gets bazillions from the state oil trust.

Reaction Score
They're not interested in us until they are interested in us.

Reaction Score
$46.5 million of the $100 mill Athletic Department budget is characterized as Direct Institutional Support....data compiled by Sportico.

Folks not familiar with UConn might be concerned that the amount of Direct Institutional Support is not sustainable over time.

But click on the revenue breakdowns by school....it is somewhat educational...for instance, Texas lists zero Direct Institutional Support..yet gets bazillions from the state oil trust.

Thanks for posting -very eye opening.
The number that really stands out is media rights at 1.47 million. I guess that is why we are all frustrated with the current state of affairs. I know AD Benedict is doing everything in his power to move the needle....but how about administration and politicians - We all know that is just not a sustainable number.

Reaction Score
They resent us because we have destroyed and dominated them continually in basketball. They also know in short order we would be in the top tier of the conference in FB. We are the myth busters that expose brands.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting -very eye opening.
The number that really stands out is media rights at 1.47 million. I guess that is why we are all frustrated with the current state of affairs. I know AD Benedict is doing everything in his power to move the needle....but how about administration and politicians - We all know that is just not a sustainable number.
Also fascinating to see the UConn basketball budget deficit growing larger. It is basically as big as the Football deficit if you combine both teams and that is without the Ollie payout. Pretty much kills the idea that even basketball is OK in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I think we all expected to be the front runner early and then dropped at the 11th hour. There's no one respect tradition anymore?
And therein is the problem. UConn was never a front-runner, so it wasn't dropped at the 11th hour.

Reaction Score
Yes I do but i mean by shoestring we don't a lot of money from a conference. Yes our budget is based on our States wealth and commitment from the Governor. But would it be fair to suggest these schools in P5 have large budgets as well in addition to the conference money?

I think your point is UConn is more dependent on state subsidies due to lack of a media deal.

Overall UConn’s budget is enough to be in top 50 programs so it’s not like UConn isn’t spending.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom