Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well I think for the fans sake. I mean they go to start the game and all the old fans are standing on their feeble knees, hands getting sore from clapping, and the ref looks around and only sees 4 UCONN players. He/she then goes over to Geno and asks for a 5th player, and of course Geno states like Norman Dell before him, "my team is on the floor". The refs have to huddle and figure out if this is ok or not. All the while, the old fans are still standing and clapping. Their knees and legs start wobbling, some pass out, their hands clapped to bloody pulps. So for their sake, yes we need a 5th starter. :cool: It's only humane.

Too clever by half.;)

Reaction Score
Well I think for the fans sake. I mean they go to start the game and all the old fans are standing on their feeble knees, hands getting sore from clapping, and the ref looks around and only sees 4 UCONN players. He/she then goes over to Geno and asks for a 5th player, and of course Geno states like Norman Dell before him, "my team is on the floor". The refs have to huddle and figure out if this is ok or not. All the while, the old fans are still standing and clapping. Their knees and legs start wobbling, some pass out, their hands clapped to bloody pulps. So for their sake, yes we need a 5th starter. :cool: It's only humane.

Forgive my impolite correction, Meyers, but you simply cannot mess up the name of the second greatest basketball coach of all time :rolleyes: (after Geno) from the greatest sports movie ever made...it's Norman DALE. (not the computer guy)

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
For 95% of this year's games ( if not higher), Geno could start the last five on the bench, and still win every game by at least 20 points. UConn's only real opponent this year is Complacency....

Reaction Score
I know we've been discussing this for awhile. But since it's now August and the semester starts this month, it's time to put you money (vote) where you're mouth (post) is.

We know Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Nurse are starting (barring any injuries - knock on wood), so who is going to be the 5th starter?

Please explain your pick (not that there won't be plenty of arguments on this one) and if you pick "Other", damn well better explain your pick :)eek:).

Have fun. :cool:

6 foot 5 inches tall and a player who is seasoned and understands Geno's and CD's system. If not her... then the player that fills the most important need... a whole nutha' subject.

Butler will allow Stewie to do more things... imho.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just getting soft in your old age. What's the need for a 5th starter?

Look at last year's NC game. Add up the points from our top four scoring starters in the game (MoJeff, KML, Tuck, Nurse) and they outscored ND's 5 starters by 51-49. Okay so UConn needed their 6th man Kiah to come in and give them 4 more points to outscore the whole Irish team by 55-53, but you always do need a reserve to come in and give a starter a breather at some time. Point is, UConn obviously did not really need that other fifth starter to win. Having trouble even recalling who she was. Stewie something, maybe?

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler.

Interior defense
Size
Big, bad screens
Jump shots
Rebounds and plenty of them
Put backs
Intimidation on the defensive end
Strong outlet passes
Intensity

Full disclosure. Like many of you, I have not seen Natalie play yet. Just a few short video clips. However, I just have a feeling.........

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
A word that stuck out to me in this thread is probability. Since we don't know what happens in practice or precisely what Auriemma is thinking, and he has proven to be a highly adaptable coach, we can only speak about the probability at the beginning of the season.

My recollection of all the years is a little hazy, I'll gladly stand corrected if wrong, but isn't the probability of Auriemma starting the best center candidate, whether or not she is one of the best five players, 100%? Perhaps that candidate lasts only two games, like Stokes, or her entire career, like the initially slow of foot (and not one of the five best as a freshman) Dolson. Yet I can't think of a "most suitable" center over the years who was not given a chance to lose the starter's spot. Can anyone think of an exception? Even if there are exceptions making the probability less than 100%, I still think the probability is rather high that Butler starts the season. As to how long she lasts as a starter is complete guesswork.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
A word that stuck out to me in this thread is probability. Since we don't know what happens in practice or precisely what Auriemma is thinking, and he has proven to be a highly adaptable coach, we can only speak about the probability at the beginning of the season.

My recollection of all the years is a little hazy, I'll gladly stand corrected if wrong, but isn't the probability of Auriemma starting the best center candidate, whether or not she is one of the best five players, 100%? Perhaps that candidate lasts only two games, like Stokes, or her entire career, like the initially slow of foot (and not one of the five best as a freshman) Dolson. Yet I can't think of a "most suitable" center over the years who was not given a chance to lose the starter's spot. Can anyone think of an exception? Even if there are exceptions making the probability less than 100%, I still think the probability is rather high that Butler starts the season. As to how long she lasts as a starter is complete guesswork.
Does Heather Buck count?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Forgive my impolite correction, Meyers, but you simply cannot mess up the name of the second greatest basketball coach of all time :rolleyes: (after Geno) from the greatest sports movie ever made...it's Norman DALE. (not the computer guy)
Sorry, I should have known that. :oops: I probably did know that. (In my defense I have been looking at buy a new computer. :rolleyes:) One of my favorite sports movies.

Reaction Score
well, my handle says it all. I think Gabby is a sure all american candidate if she improves those parts of her game that are needed to achieve this level (mid range jumper and free throw shooting). I agree with those who believe it is better that Butler is better coming off the bench replacing either Tuck, Gabby or Stewie. This is Geno's challenge as I have said before in my first ever thread....putting this talented team together in a way that takes advantage of match ups and newly found chemistry between certain players. I am sure everyone is excited to see how this all unfolds and what Geno uncovers as the practices and season begins.

Reaction Score
Because this team boasts such an embarrassment of riches, and because its in-conference schedule will permit endless opportunities for "tinkering." All of our conjecture is, of course, just that....but I suspect that Geno's thinking was likely altered somewhat by last season's experience.

Just as we all know that the three most important things in baseball are pitching, pitching and pitching, and that in real estate it's location, location, etc., I think Geno has come to regard the three most critical factors in UConn basketball as speed, speed, and more speed, and the salutary effect that factor has both on transition and on team defense. Just my opinion, but I thnk he may be more willing than ever to depart from traditional starting lineup preferences in favor of going initially with more quickness and athleticism...ergo, Gabby.

Reaction Score
It's really not about who starts, you can start a player that only plays 5mpg and not start a player that plays 15-20mpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's really not about who starts, you can start a player that only plays 5mpg and not start a player that plays 15-20mpg
While true Geno has done that in the past, I don't really think that is applicable this year. The starters are going to play good minutes. In the past he had done that with Seniors for their leadership qualities at the beginning of the games (Doty, Duran, Rose). But this year the leadership is already starting (Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson). So Nurse and the 5th starter are going be in there because of their talent, not just because they're experienced leaders.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Godfather you and I are kind of on the same page. Against the vast majority of teams we play, there will plenty of minutes to go around regardless of who starts.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Saniya because her playing well benefits the team; however, she played almost not at all in the tournament. She needs to be more consistent and less nervous when it's crunch time.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Saniya because her playing well benefits the team; however, she played almost not at all in the tournament. She needs to be more consistent and less nervous when it's crunch time.
Coach has said on more than one occasion that when the tournament his 5 starters go the distance. I wouldn't read anything into minutes in the NCAA.

But even with her limited minutes I didn't see any nervousness on Saniya's part ... in fact I thought she was confident and aggressive. I was particularly impressed with how she was anticipating the passing lanes on defense. On the other hand Tuck, Nurse and Williams all seemed to have some serious jitters ...

Reaction Score
Butler. She brings to the team an upside that some of the other potential starters don't . As had been said, you can't teach height( and possibly desire) and Butler clearly has it. If Butler can stick the mid-range jumper, which forces the opposing big to pop out and defend, then she will make Stewie and Tuck much more efficient players, particularly in the paint. Should she prove ineffective offensively it will open up playing time and possibly a starting role for the more athletic Gabby or Collier.
Lots of options...all of which are good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One point no one has mentioned. Not this seasons lineup but what will next seasons lineup be without Stewie and Mojeff. Who replaces them and who do we need at each position. Who will be ready to start? Nurse Tuck and who else? I would think Butler, Katie Lou and Collier but who plays the point? A lot will depend on how things play out this season. This season is a really big deal because UConn should blow through every game and needs to be ready for next season.

Reaction Score
Didn't UConn win the first two of their three straight championships with Stef at center. If Natalie can slow the motion a bit like Stef did, I'll take that again and again.
Having Natalie in the post gives Stewie the ability to face up, and see the defense, shoot, pass, or drive. If Natalie can shoot the 15 foot jumper, you have someone who can actually get the ball to Stewie in the post. Stef was good at getting the ball to Stewie, last year too many times Stewie had the defender sealed, and didn't get the ball, or it went out of bounds.

Reaction Score
One point no one has mentioned. Not this seasons lineup but what will next seasons lineup be without Stewie and Mojeff. Who replaces them and who do we need at each position. Who will be ready to start? Nurse Tuck and who else? I would think Butler, Katie Lou and Collier but who plays the point? A lot will depend on how things play out this season. This season is a really big deal because UConn should blow through every game and needs to be ready for next season.
I think Chong plays alongside Nurse with heavy spells of CD to get her ready to take the point the following season when Chong graduates.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We have all next summer to talk about that, Tony. Patience grasshopper, patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom