Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know we've been discussing this for awhile. But since it's now August and the semester starts this month, it's time to put you money (vote) where you're mouth (post) is.

We know Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Nurse are starting (barring any injuries - knock on wood), so who is going to be the 5th starter?

Please explain your pick (not that there won't be plenty of arguments on this one) and if you pick "Other", damn well better explain your pick :)eek:).

Have fun. :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't know who the 5th starter will be, but I do know who the 1st poll answerer is. I'm guessing Butler to go back to a more standard lineup at the beginning of the year, and that Williams will continue to be in the 6th-player-that-no-opponent-has-an-answer-for role.

Reaction Score
Forced choice: Butler will give us height in the post. Plenty of speed on the bench if needed. And how about a starting five that morphs to fit each opponent?

Reaction Score
Natalie is a proven commodity. High minutes in the post, few fouls, double figures in points, rebounds, good foul shooter. Oh; and she runs the football bleachers before the three hour practices.

HGN

Reaction Score
I'm picking KLS.....(Because I hit the wrong key. Tried to vote for Gabby). I think KLS might win it , with a short leash ( a la , Chong of last season ) if KLS can defend. She gives the Huskies the same zone-buster shooting of KML and as good or better defense. Plus , starting KLS gets may get her ready to step in when Stewie graduates.

But this 5th spot is going to be a dogfight , pardon the pun. There are several who potentially could step in. Gabby , KLS , Naphessa , Butler , Chong , Courtney , etc.....The REAL question is who is going to STEP UP. Many can step in . Fortunately The Huskies have options. All but Butler will allow the Huskies to play the same style as last year. Which won them the NC. Butler will force the Huskies lineup to play with a true center instead of 3- and 2-G's.....The 3- allowed the Huskies a lot more mobility. A true center , like when Stef was onboard , slows the motion a bit.

So, I think the 5th starter could be KLS............With an eye towards Gabby or Naphessa. Geno must be happy with this situation because he can't go wrong with either choice.

Reaction Score
I voted for Gabby. I thought that she would start this year when this topic first came up at the end of last season. I see no reason to change now. It may be different by the end of the year but Gabby has already played significant minutes with the starters and she will make UConn's D even better than last year. Butler will take Stokes' place and there will be a huge amount of firepower sitting on the bench.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Probably #1 on my small list of worries for next season is something happening to Stewie, and she took quite a beating in many of the games last season, to my eye more than in 2013-14 when she had Stef to do a little "gentle persuasion" out on the court. Not saying necessarily that Natalie can just step into Stef's shoes there, but it never hurts to have a Big Mama protecting her flock.

Reaction Score
I voted for Gabby. I thought that she would start this year when this topic first came up at the end of last season. I see no reason to change now. It may be different by the end of the year but Gabby has already played significant minutes with the starters and she will make UConn's D even better than last year. Butler will take Stokes' place and there will be a huge amount of firepower sitting on the bench.

Gabby is the perfect 6th man, she gives the team a smaller faster line-up. She can replace almost any of the starters.

Reaction Score
For the team to have a similar "look" to last year, KLS and her long range bombing would be in the starting 5, especially if she's not a major liability on defense. I can see Butler getting the nod, but I am not a fan of having all three seasoned post players in the starting line-up, leaving the bench without a proven 4/5 at substitution time (think, Kiah Stokes).

Collier could prove to be the most "all-around" talent from the new crop, thereby convincing Geno to take advantage of her versatility from the opening tip despite her frosh status, or Gabby may have developed a nice little midrange J in the off season, making her an inside-outside matchup nightmare at the 3 hole.

Basically, this post is a testament to "I have no clue".

Reaction Score
I picked Natalie Butler because of her height and the fact she has some college level experience. I would have picked Gabby to start the first few games because of her playing time with the team last year, I didn't pick her because she is listed as a guard this year and I can't see her as a starting guard on this team, barring any misfortune to Kia or Mo.

Reaction Score
Even though Geno tends not to start frosh, I believe that the team will be faster and more potent offensively with Napheesha than with KLS or Butler. I think Collier will be the cream of the new crop. Question is how soon will this happen.
Agreed. Gabby is the fan's fave but who gives the team power, talent, rebounding, handling, etc N. Collier!! Who knows the system, the plays, the players, and has established chemistry---Butler and Saniya. Gabby, Courtney and the freshmen all have to prove to Geno they have either improved (Gabby and Courtney) or big time game experience, talent and defensive skills to play. So at least to start my money is on Butler, Saniya and maybe Collier as starter, first/second off the bench.

Second (oldest) OLDBones if Geno sees Collier as the U19 saw her starting won't take long. Creek, creek (moving my old bones).

Reaction Score
For the team to have a similar "look" to last year, KLS and her long range bombing would be in the starting 5, especially if she's not a major liability on defense. I can see Butler getting the nod, but I am not a fan of having all three seasoned post players in the starting line-up, leaving the bench without a proven 4/5 at substitution time (think, Kiah Stokes).

Collier could prove to be the most "all-around" talent from the new crop, thereby convincing Geno to take advantage of her versatility from the opening tip despite her frosh status, or Gabby may have developed a nice little midrange J in the off season, making her an inside-outside matchup nightmare at the 3 hole.

Basically, this post is a testament to "I have no clue".
Honest?? We can't handle Honesty!!!----KLS from what I read isn't super great on defense and College D especially with Geno is an art and a science. She'll be called upon to bomb away at times. Of the 3 Frosh I believe Collier is it. Being taken away from U19 may have hurt KLS's development against highly skilled college level players. Gabby, if she developed a 3 shot, and foul shot, and isn't used only as a small forward will have playing time against small teams, while resting Tuck or Butler or maybe Kia. Poor Geno , maybe not born with a silver spoon, now has plethora of Gold(en) talent---what a dilemma!!

Reaction Score
Butler. Seems unlikely that a kid who averaged 13/13 as a frosh at Georgetown, and spent a year working out with Stewart, Tuck and Stokes in the post, isn't ready to step in and start. Having said that you have to like the options that Geno will have with Williams, Samuelson, Boykin, and Collier on the bench along with the other returners. The fight for playing time could be the most intense since the 2001 team that sent 9 players to the pros.

Reaction Score
I know we've been discussing this for awhile. But since it's now August and the semester starts this month, it's time to put you money (vote) where you're mouth (post) is.

We know Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Nurse are starting (barring any injuries - knock on wood), so who is going to be the 5th starter?

Please explain your pick (not that there won't be plenty of arguments on this one) and if you pick "Other", damn well better explain your pick :)eek:).

Have fun. :cool:

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important----They don't mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them!! TS Elliot

Anger is never without an argument--but seldom a good one..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Butler - Start with "traditional" line-up, Gabby 6th man, Collier and Lou 7 & 8 off bench,allowing freshmen to break in slowly. Chong and Boykin get minutes early in season, much less as season progresses. Eck, TL and Bri chained to the bench.

Reaction Score
Probably #1 on my small list of worries for next season is something happening to Stewie, and she took quite a beating in many of the games last season, to my eye more than in 2013-14 when she had Stef to do a little "gentle persuasion" out on the court. Not saying necessarily that Natalie can just step into Stef's shoes there, but it never hurts to have a Big Mama protecting her flock.

The good book (on school sports) says "No one is indispensable"! Until they saw Stewie play. I'm not twisting my towel into knots but there is an awful amount of talent, desire, ability to stand pain, handle rough play, etc that WBB rarely sees in a life time in Stewie. I won't go as far as saying ==there goes the franchise, if something (forbid) happens to Stewie--because Uconn is blessed (overloaded?) with talent (if they play as Geno dictates) that can probably carry this team to another NC (Knock, knock, knock on my head).

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Natalie...fer sure. She is an AWESOME person, has a proven track record, & will be a welcome addition to this group. Can't wait to see her play!

Reaction Score
Natalie will be the fifth starter. At the beginning of her sophomore season, she's already ahead of where Stef was at the end of her sophomore season, which is why Stef changed the way she was eating and exercising. Natalie is not Kiah because Kiah was very reluctant to shoot. Natalie will not be reluctant to shoot. DobbsRover2, you are right. Breanna took too much punishment last year and in the Pan Am Games. Breanna will never be overly strong. She plays much better to contact; however, there's no need for her to get beat up on a nightly basis. With Natalie in the post, Breanna can move in and out of the post. Remember, Morgan basically didn't play most of Breanna's sophomore year. Now that the lineup could consist of Natalie, Breanna and Morgan, Breanna will take less punishment. There's no question that Gabby and Napheesa will get major minutes. Katie Lou, if she can step up her D, will be next in line. Think back to the first Husky championship team. Who was shooting all those 3s? Don't remember that team being a prolific three point shooting team. As Geno always says, we're not defending last year. We're attacking all the other teams this year. This year's team does not have to look like last year's.

Reaction Score
I'm picking KLS.....(Because I hit the wrong key. Tried to vote for Gabby). I think KLS might win it , with a short leash ( a la , Chong of last season ) if KLS can defend. She gives the Huskies the same zone-buster shooting of KML and as good or better defense. Plus , starting KLS gets may get her ready to step in when Stewie graduates.

But this 5th spot is going to be a dogfight , pardon the pun. There are several who potentially could step in. Gabby , KLS , Naphessa , Butler , Chong , Courtney , etc.....The REAL question is who is going to STEP UP. Many can step in . Fortunately The Huskies have options. All but Butler will allow the Huskies to play the same style as last year. Which won them the NC. Butler will force the Huskies lineup to play with a true center instead of 3- and 2-G's.....The 3- allowed the Huskies a lot more mobility. A true center , like when Stef was onboard , slows the motion a bit.

So, I think the 5th starter could be KLS..With an eye towards Gabby or Naphessa. Geno must be happy with this situation because he can't go wrong with either choice.
Didn't UConn win the first two of their three straight championships with Stef at center. If Natalie can slow the motion a bit like Stef did, I'll take that again and again.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important----They don't mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them!! TS Elliot

Anger is never without an argument--but seldom a good one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom