Who's gonna guard DeAndre Daniels | The Boneyard

Who's gonna guard DeAndre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sick of hearing everywhere how Iowa State is going to beat us. Even on our own board people are fretting over who guards DeAndre Kane, Ejim, how we cover all their shooters, can we keep up with such a well oiled machine. , who guards DeAndre Daniels, who guards Ryan Boatright who on Iowa State is going to be the first one to challenge Amida Brimah and get the ball sent into the 8th row at MSG. We are friggin' UConn.....people fear us!

Reaction Score
I'm sick of hearing everywhere how Iowa State is going to beat us. Even on our own board people are fretting over who guards DeAndre Kane, Ejim, how we cover all their shooters, can we keep up with such a well oiled machine. , who guards DeAndre Daniels, who guards Ryan Boatright who on Iowa State is going to be the first one to challenge Amida Brimah and get the ball sent into the 8th row at MSG. We are friggin' UConn.....people fear us!
I'll take a stab
Morris- Napier
Long-Boatwright
Kane-Giffey/ Kromah/Samuel/?
Ejim-Daniels
Hogue-Brimah/Nolan

As for Brimah....ISU has faced Embiid(3x's), Austin(3xs), Jefferson(3xs), Ibeh (2x). a couple 6'10'+ BYU and iowa players. They have seen better shot blockers/big men than Brimah. Of course, we had Niang, but Ejim and Hogue have been finishing around bigs all year. Expect Hogue to hang out around the three point line drawing Brimah out of the middle.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Expect Hogue to hang out around the three point line drawing Brimah out of the middle.

UConn will probably switch off between Giffey, Daniels, and Brimah won't go much further than the painted area. Not in the interest of a 7 footer to do so.

Reaction Score
I'll take a stab
Morris- Napier
Long-Boatwright
Kane-Giffey/ Kromah/Samuel/?
Ejim-Daniels
Hogue-Brimah/Nolan

As for Brimah....ISU has faced Embiid(3x's), Austin(3xs), Jefferson(3xs), Ibeh (2x). a couple 6'10'+ BYU and iowa players. They have seen better shot blockers/big men than Brimah. Of course, we had Niang, but Ejim and Hogue have been finishing around bigs all year. Expect Hogue to hang out around the three point line drawing Brimah out of the middle.
Pretty sure Brimah is a better shot blocker than all of the guys you named but thanks for the reply.

Reaction Score

I think Daniels is going to have a mismatch. If they have Ejim on him, Daniels is 3 inches taller. I think we'll try to get the ball inside to Daniels early and try to pick up some points / fouls in the post.

Reaction Score
UConn will probably switch off between Giffey, Daniels, and Brimah won't go much further than the painted area. Not in the interest of a 7 footer to do so.
Hogue shoots the three at 35% and 38% in tournament play. Ejim shoots at 35% and is 42% in tourney play. ISU will put all five guys outside the arc and they will have to defend all five. Personally, I find a smaller UConn lineup much better defensively against ISU. I just see Fred exploiting mismatches better with Brimah in the game

Reaction Score
I think Daniels is going to have a mismatch. If they have Ejim on him, Daniels is 3 inches taller. I think we'll try to get the ball inside to Daniels early and try to pick up some points / fouls in the post.
I was worried about that but people on here say Daniels is more of a finesse player and not a back to the basket type. Is that true?

Ejim has been guarding bigger guys for three years. Physically he won't get pushed around. I honestly haven't seen Daniels post up much but just looking at him I think he will need to work very hard to get position against Ejim. Think I worry more about him shooting over Ejim from outside than anything.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hogue shoots the three at 35% and 38% in tournament play. Ejim shoots at 35% and is 42% in tourney play. ISU will put all five guys outside the arc and they will have to defend all five. Personally, I find a smaller UConn lineup much better defensively against ISU. I just see Fred exploiting mismatches better with Brimah in the game
6'-9", Deandre Daniels shoots 44.7% from three point land and 50% in the postseason. It doesn't mean he should stray outside the confines of the offense to do it though. Hogue takes less than 2 3pt attempts/game, so neither will he.

Seems like Hogue needs to be wide F'in open before he shoots (Am I wrong? I'm only deducing from what I read in box scores). Besides Brimah, UConn has three other long front court players and terrific perimeter defense.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I was worried about that but people on here say Daniels is more of a finesse player and not a back to the basket type. Is that true?

Ejim has been guarding bigger guys for three years. Physically he won't get pushed around. I honestly haven't seen Daniels post up much but just looking at him I think he will need to work very hard to get position against Ejim. Think I worry more about him shooting over Ejim from outside than anything.

He's definitely more of a finesse player, but that doesn't mean he can't post up. He can be effective when he gets position down low. A lot of times he gets pushed out by bigger guys, but he usually goes up against traditional 4's rather than someone Ejim's size. My hunch is Ollie tries to attack Ejim on the low block with Daniels early in the game. I don't know if he will do that, but that's my guess.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I answered the DeAndre Kane questions in another thread. Senhor Testiculo is on the job.

vmycwea-jpg.5376

So that should be no problem.

Reaction Score
After Brimah sends one into the 10th row, nobody will take it at him again. For a team that has never accomplished anything, their fans sure are confident.

Reaction Score
Well . Their guards are too big for us. Daniels isnt a mismatch cause he's too weak. The big 12 is filled with Ewing and Mutombo-like big men, so Brimah will just get dunked over on every play. Sell your tickets guys. No point in wasting your time on this one. We'll be the 4th best supported team at the Garden anyways. I'm sure there's 10k Iowa St fans waiting in midtown to swoop up your tickets.

Reaction Score
Seems like Villanova played 3 big scoring guards who as a group were better scorers than Iowa State's 3 guards. How did that work out for them?
Brimah and Nolan should do well on the boards. I'd predict a big UConn blowout but I don't want to mess with the mojo.

caw

Reaction Score

Finesse and back to the basket aren't mutually exclusive. He may not back someone down but he can post and has a nice turn around, and somewhat of a floater/hook. It's not his main shot. Then again when playing the four there are few smaller players that defend him.

Daniels can get position decently if that's the game plan on Ejim. There are more ways to get position in the post than backing a player down.

caw

Reaction Score

Let me put it this way. If the game plan is to have Brimah defend Hogue but force kick outs to him, when Brimah helps in the post. I'll take that over Kane or Long or whoever else shooting a ton. He may be shooting 38% in the tournament but do you want him shooting 10 threes even if only decently defended? That's like UConn saying they are OK with Kromah taking ten threes in a game. He shoots a bit better than Hogue I believe, and I wouldn't want it and he won't likely.

Reaction Score

Honestly holmes I appreciate your bias but you talk about this game as if UConn is overmatched all over the court, irrespective of styles, and ISU has an answer for literally anything UConn might try to do. They're a nice team but I don't think that's remotely the case.

Reaction Score

Don't agree at all. Ollie, Napier, Boat and even Daniels have said the key to getting Daniels going is to get him established early in the game. Deandre has been playing well the last few weeks. I think trying to get him some buckets inside while attacking Ejim and taking advantage of his height is a good idea. I'd like to see Ejim pick up a couple of fouls early.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Brimah needs to stay at home for the rebound… take the block if it is there but hold the position for the rebound. He often takes himself out of the game going for the big block. Not a criticism but a fact. May not work here with Iowa st. We need to keep them to one shot a trip down.

Reaction Score
6'-9", Deandre Daniels shoots 44.7% from three point land and 50% in the postseason. It doesn't mean he should stray outside the confines of the offense to do it though. Hogue takes less than 2 3pt attempts/game, so neither will he.

Seems like Hogue needs to be wide F'in open before he shoots (Am I wrong? I'm only deducing from what I read in box scores). Besides Brimah, UConn has three other long front court players and terrific perimeter defense.

For a three, yes, it is not something that happens often, but they'll spread the floor to get a miss match, typically pulling the big guys out and posting Kane down in the paint. If it collapses someone will get a three, every so often its Hogue on a corner, but it is not his bread and butter. He's a kid who plays a little taller because he can jump out of his shoes and buzzes with energy. He won't leave the paint much though if he doesn't have to.

Reaction Score
So have Boat and Bazz but you seem to think Kane and Long will push them around.

Bazz and Boat will probably cause a lot more problems for ISU than UConn's front line. They match up well with finesse guys. But aggressive 6-9 slashers like Wiggens will score in droves.

Reaction Score
Finesse and back to the basket aren't mutually exclusive. He may not back someone down but he can post and has a nice turn around, and somewhat of a floater/hook. It's not his main shot. Then again when playing the four there are few smaller players that defend him.

Daniels can get position decently if that's the game plan on Ejim. There are more ways to get position in the post than backing a player down.

Hooks and 10 footers they'll allow all day. Its driving that will crush ISU because they don't have the personnel to withstand the fouls. They could bring more and more guards off the bench, but outside Ejim and Hogue they really have no talent once they are in trouble. If I were UConn I'd drive right at Ejim as soon as the game starts, repeatedly, until he gets two fouls, then just do whatever you want while he sits on the bench doing nothing. They won't recover with Ejim or Kane on the bench for a considerable amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom