Who will be the 12th member to join the AAC in basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the 12th member to join the AAC in basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fact, the eastern side of the basketball league, UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, ECU is probably not awful. The western teams are, well outside Memphis, yuck! Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Memphis. So if you were adding someone you would probably look to the south or southwest to balance things. But who could you get? Middle Tennessee maybe? Or Southern Mississippi? But both would want all sports membership I imagine, and neither really brings much to the table. though both are better than SMU, Houston and Tu-friggin'-lane. Wichita State would fit, I guess as would or pretty much any olf the Missouri Valley schools, but none really bring anything like a big rating. If you wanted another eastern school to match Navy I guess you'd look at pretty much the A-10. Butler would have worked. Virginia commonwealth would be interesting and they are a bit more of a media darling than most, then you have the old stand bys, UMass who would do actually lick the line down the middle of the road from Amherst to Providence just to be considered, URI, and as I said Fordham. Of all of them I like VCU best, followed by Fordham if you could get a real commitment that they would make the necessary investment, because a really good Fordham program would bolsteer the league in New York and a really good Fordham program would piss off St johns something fierce. And I have always thought the Johnnies were the most over-rated bunch of cry babies in college basketball. If they had to share the city with Fordham they would probably close up shop and move to new jersey.

Great point about Fordham. VCU was the other school I forgot. I do think they would be a very nice addition. Smart is building a great program there. Be wise to grab them imo.

Reaction Score
Great point about Fordham. VCU was the other school I forgot. I do think they would be a very nice addition. Smart is building a great program there. Be wise to grab them imo.
VCU would be s great BB addition. smart is not going anywhere.
Uconn
Cinn
Temple
Memphis
VCU bb only

Some here think Houston and Central Fla are poised to contend plus
South Fla has had success. ( didn't t they have s sweet sixteen in 2012.
This would also hurt the A10
Maybe generate some NY interest in our tournament. With a weakened A10.
They are a large public 31,000
That's a darn good BB conference

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
VCU would be s great BB addition. smart is not going anywhere.
Uconn
Cinn
Temple
Memphis
VCU bb only

Some here think Houston and Central Fla are poised to contend plus
South Fla has had success. ( didn't t they have s sweet sixteen in 2012.
This would also hurt the A10
Maybe generate some NY interest in our tournament. With a weakened A10.
They are a large public 31,000
That's a darn good BB conference

Whisky. Tango. Foxtrot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Got you
Just wanted to see if you were awake.

Taking VCU might generate NYC interest for a tournament held in Memphis.

You work for Aresco right?

Reaction Score
Taking VCU might generate NYC interest for a tournament held in Memphis.

You work for Aresco right?
Please threaten my life. Call me any name you want but don't ever mention me and work in the same sentence. The ultimate four letter word.
Now that I'm sucked in.
I was talking about having the AAC tournament in NY(Brooklyn)
Destroy the A10
I don't t think Memphis is a permanent site.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Please threaten my life. Call me any name you want but don't ever mention me and work in the same sentence. The ultimate four letter word.
Now that I'm sucked in.
I was talking about having the AAC tournament in NY(Brooklyn)
Destroy the A10
I don't t think Memphis is a permanent site.

Is this league so bad it needs to damage the A-10?

A league with outposts in Orlando, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Tampa and Tulsa... Playing a tournament in Brooklyn? It's ridiculous.

For non-UConn games it would draw like an NEC tourney at Wagner. Since I've been to an NEC tourney at Wagner I know that's a better atmosphere than East Carolina and Tulane at Barclays.

Reaction Score
I kept hearing URI or UMass actually. I still would love to see Aresco make a daring move, (which he won't) and go to the ACC and go after Virginia. They are a up and coming team in the sense that their basketball program is heading into the right direction.
I can't tell if this is serious or a joke....

Reaction Score
Is this league so bad it needs to damage the A-10?

A league with outposts in Orlando, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Tampa and Tulsa... Playing a tournament in Brooklyn? It's ridiculous.

For non-UConn games it would draw like an NEC tourney at Wagner. Since I've been to an NEC tourney at Wagner I know that's a better atmosphere than East Carolina and Tulane at Barclays.

As opposed to any AAC site when the home team is not playing!

The nearest team to Memphis is at least 9 hours away.

UConn Temple and VCU are all within that parameter.
UConn anyone and Temple will bring fans.
with the added benifit of New York media coverage
and recruiting benifits.
Where exactly is East Carolina and Tulane actually going to get much interest (except Greenville and NO.)
Nice strawman.
Air access to NY from the participating cities is manageable.
Please make a compelling case for alternate site advantages or foevever hold your peace.

Try to get a flight to Memphis.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As opposed to any AAC site when the home team is not playing!

The nearest team to Memphis is at least 9 hours away.

UConn Temple and VCU are all within that parameter.
UConn anyone and Temple will bring fans.
with the added benifit of New York media coverage
and recruiting benifits.
Where exactly is East Carolina and Tulane actually going to get much interest (except Greenville and NO.)
Nice strawman.
Air access to NY from the participating cities is manageable.
Please make a compelling case for alternate site advantages or foevever hold your peace.

Try to get a flight to Memphis.

I can't believe I'm responding to this madness.

No arena in New York City would allow this mutt in the door.

Reaction Score
A SUNY school would be a solid choice and then we can own the ny market. Fit would be another good choice, the uniforms would be stunning.

Reaction Score
Nice strawman.

You are making quite a leap here. Tulane doesn't even draw flies in New Orleans! Average 2000/game and had just over 1000 on more than one occasion. For what its worth, they are apparently moving some/all of their men's games to the NO Arena, an 18000 seat arena which is also home to the NBA club. Should be fun watching UConn play them in front of 1500 in an 18000 seat arena. Once again, I ask, If tulane plays a game and nobody watches did they really lose?

Reaction Score
You are making quite a leap here. Tulane doesn't even draw flies in New Orleans! Average 2000/game and had just over 1000 on more than one occasion. For what its worth, they are apparently moving some/all of their men's games to the NO Arena, an 18000 seat arena which is also home to the NBA club. Should be fun watching UConn play them in front of 1500 in an 18000 seat arena. Once again, I ask, If tulane plays a game and nobody watches did they really lose?
You made my point !Tulane ECU not drawing in NYC is s Strawman.
They won't draw anywhere (I conceded they might have a few home fans) So what does their game have to do with anything.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Would somebody tell me why anyone not named Notre Dame would join a conference - ANY conference - for basketball only. It would wildly disrupt virtually all other sports for what? The privilege of playing Tulane? Basketball isn't generating all the money. You don't need 12 for a basketball tournament. All you'd be doing is spreading a small pot in more ways. That's dumb.

Anybody who doesn't have football and wants a BBall upgrade?

Reaction Score
You made my point !Tulane ECU not drawing in NYC is s Strawman.
They won't draw anywhere (I conceded they might have a few home fans) So what does their game have to do with anything.

I agree with you. But over the years I've been to the Big East 8-9 game when it existed and the noon game on Day 1 and I can tell you when it was Providence-Depaul the Big East claims a sell out but that's tickets sold not fans in the seats, there were LOTS of empty seats...and even the people who were there were mostly disinerested and had only arrived early for the 2nd game. I'm not sure it was Depaul=-Providence, but I was at one between 2 pretty bad teams, and I was at one with South Florida and somebody. that was poorly attended too.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It was 6'6 when Robinson was there and I see 80 inches listed on websites now. Did they get rid of it?
Not exactly sure, but one of my roommates at the Air Force Academy was a 7'1" center on the bball team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know what is dumber- the idea of Virginia leaving the ACC for the AAC or the idea that their basketball program is up and coming.
It's the idea of Virginia leaving the ACC for the AAC. You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom