Who will be the 12th member to join the AAC in basketball? | The Boneyard

Who will be the 12th member to join the AAC in basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know from the website that beside UConn, that UCF, USF, Cincy, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple, SMU and Houston will make up the AAC basketball starting in the fall of 2014. I know Navy is going to be joining for football only-correct? If that is the case, which team will be asked or invited to join the the AAC. I read that Aresco said 12 teams are a perfect fit. So who do you think will be invited? I personally think asking Wichita St. would be the best ideal moving forward but I seriously don't see that happening since Aresco is a moran.

Just for the record and my two cents, when you looking at this on paper, I just have to say that; Wow this is a freaking brutal basketball conference lol East Carolina---really? Anyways getting back to the question, does anyone have any ideal would they might ask unless-gulp Navy decides it wants to join us for basketball too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How many times do we need to discuss Navy basketball?

They have height restrictions for enrollment.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It actually pisses me off that Tulane and Tulsa are in this conference more and more everyday.

10 team football league, allows for a round robin football schedule (even if it is 5h-4a).
9 team basketball league, allows for a true round robin, and allows Cinci, Temple, Memphis, USF and UCF to be at least be 10/18 conference games.

Reaction Score
I fully expect the AAC to add Oral Roberts, Stony Brook and URI. Since the conference is cobbed together, might as well toss some other completely disconnected teams into the mix.

Reaction Score
Post University formerly known as Teikyo Post. It will be nice having another CT. school in the conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm in favor of inviting the University of Toronto and whoever is the biggest school in Iceland.

Oh, and I want to move the conference offices to Paris because that is dazzling on a return envelope.

Reaction Score
It actually pisses me off that Tulane and Tulsa are in this conference more and more everyday.

10 team football league, allows for a round robin football schedule (even if it is 5h-4a).
9 team basketball league, allows for a true round robin, and allows Cinci, Temple, Memphis, USF and UCF to be at least be 10/18 conference games.

Agree, especially as the AAC got hardly anything by adding a championship game.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
How many times do we need to discuss Navy basketball?

They have height restrictions for enrollment.
False

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Maybe Notre Dame will rescind its ACC offer for basketball and join us for basketball only. That way they might finish in the top half of the conference from now on.

Reaction Score
11 is just fine. Need 12 for FB for a conf. Championship but no need to add another for BB.

Reaction Score
Problem with adding a 12th is it would have to be basketball only and it would have to bring its money's worth to the table. Who would do that? i can think of exactly nobody that would leave where they are. But if you're insistent on a New York presence, as some people are, you could approach Fordham, I suppose. yeah, they were worse than Southern Methodist, but hey, not that much worse. And you get to play in New York every year. that is worth something I guess.

Reaction Score
URI?

I kept hearing URI or UMass actually. I still would love to see Aresco make a daring move, (which he won't) and go to the ACC and go after Virginia. They are a up and coming team in the sense that their basketball program is heading into the right direction.

Reaction Score
Problem with adding a 12th is it would have to be basketball only and it would have to bring its money's worth to the table. Who would do that? i can think of exactly nobody that would leave where they are. But if you're insistent on a New York presence, as some people are, you could approach Fordham, I suppose. yeah, they were worse than Southern Methodist, but hey, not that much worse. And you get to play in New York every year. that is worth something I guess.

Fordham is just as pathetic as Providence. No thanks. SMU has Larry Brown ad it seems they have gotten some good commitments so far. Their program may not be great now but Brown I think will get them to a good respectable place. If you want a good NY team, I say go after St.Bonaventure.

Reaction Score
In fact, the eastern side of the basketball league, UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, ECU is probably not awful. The western teams are, well outside Memphis, yuck! Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Memphis. So if you were adding someone you would probably look to the south or southwest to balance things. But who could you get? Middle Tennessee maybe? Or Southern Mississippi? But both would want all sports membership I imagine, and neither really brings much to the table. though both are better than SMU, Houston and Tu-friggin'-lane. Wichita State would fit, I guess as would or pretty much any olf the Missouri Valley schools, but none really bring anything like a big rating. If you wanted another eastern school to match Navy I guess you'd look at pretty much the A-10. Butler would have worked. Virginia commonwealth would be interesting and they are a bit more of a media darling than most, then you have the old stand bys, UMass who would do actually lick the line down the middle of the road from Amherst to Providence just to be considered, URI, and as I said Fordham. Of all of them I like VCU best, followed by Fordham if you could get a real commitment that they would make the necessary investment, because a really good Fordham program would bolsteer the league in New York and a really good Fordham program would piss off St johns something fierce. And I have always thought the Johnnies were the most over-rated bunch of cry babies in college basketball. If they had to share the city with Fordham they would probably close up shop and move to new jersey.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I still would love to see Aresco make a daring move, (which he won't) and go to the ACC and go after Virginia. They are a up and coming team in the sense that their basketball program is heading into the right direction.

I don't know what is dumber- the idea of Virginia leaving the ACC for the AAC or the idea that their basketball program is up and coming.

Reaction Score
I kept hearing URI or UMass actually. I still would love to see Aresco make a daring move, (which he won't) and go to the ACC and go after Virginia. They are a up and coming team in the sense that their basketball program is heading into the right direction.
you realize how conference realignment works right? nobody is joining the AAC from the power 5 by choice.

Reaction Score
bottom line is I htink the league stays at 11 for basketball for the foreseeable future. Numbers don't really matter for basketball. You can have as few as 8 and as many as you want, really, certainly 18-20 would work fine. You could even go higher if you wanted to have a system without playign everyone every year. Someone from the old Big East , I think little Gavitt, once said you could go as high as 50 and still make it work. Basketball is about making tourney. Leagues only function as scheduling mechanisms anyway. The important thing is scheduling and winning enough games against enough good teams to qualify for the NCAA tournament. With the advent of RPI and all that as a measure for awarding NCAAbids, league play is actually something of an anachronism.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Would somebody tell me why anyone not named Notre Dame would join a conference - ANY conference - for basketball only. It would wildly disrupt virtually all other sports for what? The privilege of playing Tulane? Basketball isn't generating all the money. You don't need 12 for a basketball tournament. All you'd be doing is spreading a small pot in more ways. That's dumb.

Reaction Score
Conference?

You can see the NON Power 5/CatholicBE solid programs from a mile away ... right? So if Basketball is the clear number 2. Aresco ... should capture as much of the NON P5 Hoop as possible. The VCU ... the Gonzaga ... the BYU ... the San Diego State ... with UConn, Memphis, Cincy, Temple (maybe SMU) ... play in a late Feb tourney for TV money.

Why are worried about a round-robin with Tulane and UCF and USF ... Play High level ... all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom