Who is the Most Overrated in this bunch of pretenders | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is the Most Overrated in this bunch of pretenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Sorry no posting next weekend. I will be at the Garden for the game and if Carolina loses I have one ticket available.
No excuses!

There is time to get a smart phone between now and then....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not fair to WSU. They lost to a team that played way above their norm. Wait til Lville gets their claws into KU - it aint going to be pretty.
The other 3 lost games they should have won - to teams that the "experts" claimed had virtually no chance to win
The "experts" never said the same about KU

UK already beat Louisville this year. When they are on they are on (Kansas is similar, and was off today). I thought they were on today and it was still effectively a draw. Sorry the Shockers won't be moving on.

Reaction Score
They had a great chance to win but in the flow of the game I thought the 2 missed free throws with 4:58 left hurt them big time. But to say they were overrated is wrong, dead wrong.

So you think Wichita State is the second best team in the country? Based on what? Do they have a single impressive victory?

Honestly, who is the best team they played before today? 23-12 Tennessee? I think they are a very good team, but not a top 5 team.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
william shea said:
Sorry no posting next weekend. I will be at the Garden for the game and if Carolina loses I have one ticket available.

I believe that ticket should go to the winner of the first annual boneyard 50 mile run.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't know if you can label Wichita St overrated based on their one lost but, even without the benefit of the hindsight the KU game provides, they were clearly the weakest of the 1 seeds. I think they had a great squad but they really just didn't play anyone the whole year (BYU was awful and St. Louis overrated). I think the loss isn't so much a reflection of their individual team but rather the idea that you'd prefer your team to play a bunch of great teams throughout the year, even if it means more losses, because nothing really matters except the tournament and even with the luckiest of breaks you're eventually going to run into multiple good teams in a short span of time. Again, I think WSU was a good team and their regular season was incredibly impressive, and yes I think kentucky finally played up to its potential, but I don't understand piling on OP - he asked a fair question and stated his opinion. If you think he's an idiot, try doing more than just saying that.

That's fine, except he's entitled. But the reality is that anybody who watched much hoop this year could only draw one conclusion, the level of parity is extreme. Florida played in a weak league too, so nobody knows what they really are. Unfortunately, once the seeds come out, people forget that the top 20+ teams this year are all able to beat each other on a given night. All of them (except UConn beating Louisville...it seems Satan has a hand in that). So losses by Nova, Cuse, Duke and WSU mean nothing. And if we didn't have a very narrow escape against St. Joes UConn could have been home at 0-1. It wouldn't mean UConn sucks or was overrated.

Reaction Score
No excuses!

There is time to get a smart phone between now and then....
I will send you the pictures from section 106 Prankster. Sorry I have 2 smart phones. The Samsung Galaxy 4 and Note 2. Any more questions my man ?

Reaction Score
That's fine, except he's entitled. But the reality is that anybody who watched much hoop this year could only draw one conclusion, the level of parity is extreme. Florida played in a weak league too, so nobody knows what they really are. Unfortunately, once the seeds come out, people forget that the top 20+ teams this year are all able to beat each other on a given night. All of them (except UConn beating Louisville...it seems Satan has a hand in that). So losses by Nova, Cuse, Duke and WSU mean nothing. And if we didn't have a very narrow escape against St. Joes UConn could have been home at 0-1. It wouldn't mean UConn sucks or was overrated.

Today's loss to Kentucky doesn't mean Wichita State sucks, but it was a chance to build a very suspect resume. They were ranked #2 not because of who they beat, but simply because they didn't lose. I think rankings should be earned with good victories, not the default when you don't have any bad losses.

Reaction Score
Today's loss to Kentucky doesn't mean Wichita State sucks, but it was a chance to build a very suspect resume. They were ranked #2 not because of who they beat, but simply because they didn't lose. I think rankings should be earned with good victories, not the default when you don't have any bad losses.
So where would you have ranked them? How many losses does a team have to rack up before you'd rank Wichita State ahead of them?

Reaction Score

Fair enough, except the allegedly weak SEC is 6-0 so far this tournament with Tennessee playing later. I agree that the parity is huge this year and it's ignorance to label a team overrated based on one loss. On the other hand, WSU's one seed was based solely on the fact that they hadn't lost a game - they had a terrible RPI and no really good wins. I'm thrilled with our seed now and I love our path to Texas but at the time the brackets were released it was tough to swallow a 7 seed with the committee ostensibly looking at strength of schedule, strength of the league the team was from, non conference games, etc and UConn gets punished for their resume while Wichita St. got their 1 seed solely on the back of going undefeated against less than stellar opponents. I don't think they were overrated at all but I almost understand where OP is coming from (maybe).

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I will send you the pictures from section 106 Prankster. Sorry I have 2 smart phones. The Samsung Galaxy 4 and Note 2. Any more questions my man ?

I am not asking questions....

I am asking a favor.

There was strong MOJO in your post... That will certainly be needed again.

You have to be able to post on the Boneyard from that thing.....

Reaction Score
Fair enough, except the allegedly weak SEC is 6-0 so far this tournament with Tennessee playing later. I agree that the parity is huge this year and it's ignorance to label a team overrated based on one loss. On the other hand, WSU's one seed was based solely on the fact that they hadn't lost a game - they had a terrible RPI and no really good wins. I'm thrilled with our seed now and I love our path to Texas but at the time the brackets were released it was tough to swallow a 7 seed with the committee ostensibly looking at strength of schedule, strength of the league the team was from, non conference games, etc and UConn gets punished for their resume while Wichita St. got their 1 seed solely on the back of going undefeated against less than stellar opponents. I don't think they were overrated at all but I almost understand where OP is coming from (maybe).
True, but they only got 3 teams. That means 11 of their teams aren't good.

If Memphis were to win today, the AAC would be 6-1. That doesn't mean they're better than the B1G or some of the other conferences.

Reaction Score
So where would you have ranked them? How many losses does a team have to rack up before you'd rank Wichita State ahead of them?

In the 5-10 range. Behind Arizona, Michigan, Virginia, to name a few.

Again, its not just about the number of wins and losses - its the quality. Look at UConn's losses - Stanford (sweet 16), Louisville x3, SMU - those are all good teams. SMU would probably be the second best team Wichita State would have played during the regular season, had they played. Look at the UConn wins - Memphis x3, Cincy x2, Florida, IU, Nova, St. Joes, Harvard, Washington, Maryland. A couple of those out of conference schools aren't that impressive, but aren't that far off from Tennessee.

Reaction Score

They were 4th in the RPI

Reaction Score
Duke
Syracuse
Villanova
Wichita St

Personally I feel it's Wichita. Had no doubt they would lose to the first decent team they played.

You are so very very wrong. Wichita State is an elite team. Nova doesn't suck. Among the teams you listed it is obviously Syracuse. They're OOC schedule was a joke (again). They were squeaking by mediocre teams during their 25-0 run and who can forget their loss to BC in Syracuse. They should have been a 12 seed. The fact they received a 3 seed when Louisville got a 4 is a travesty. Syracuse sucked this year on a level of suck comparable to the NCAA tournament committee. Syracuse was the most overrated in the entire bunch of pretenders in the entire NCAA!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Duke
Syracuse
Villanova
Wichita St

Personally I feel it's Wichita. Had no doubt they would lose to the first decent team they played.

Syracuse had been in a tailspin for weeks. They got lucky a lot on their way to 25-0 and their level of play and level of luck both dropped precipitously. I didn't see them winning more than 2 games. I certainly wasn't surprised to see them win only 1.

Duke was consistently inconsistent. That was hardly a huge surprise.

Nova won a lot of games in a mediocre conference.

And WSU got a bad draw.

You must have watched a lot of Shockers games to have "no doubt" they'd lose to any decent team.

I'm not sure what the question is, but the answer isn't Wichita State. I guess it's Duke, since they didn't make it to the weekend.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You are so very very wrong. Wichita State is an elite team. Nova doesn't suck. Among the teams you listed it is obviously Syracuse. They're OOC schedule was a joke (again). They were squeaking by mediocre teams during their 25-0 run and who can forget their loss to BC in Syracuse. They should have been a 12 seed. The fact they received a 3 seed when Louisville got a 4 is a travesty. Syracuse sucked this year on a level of suck comparable to the NCAA tournament committee. Syracuse was the most overrated in the entire bunch of pretenders in the entire NCAA!

I thik this is most likely, as it seems the entire ACC was overrated, with the exception of Virginia, who I think is legit.

As for those who want Wichita State to play tougher teams, who would play them? I have little doubt that they tried and that the teams in the P5 were afraid of a non confernece loss to a non P5 opponent.

Reaction Score
Wichita State definitely passed the eye test. Legit team, certainly not over-rated. Syracuse and Duke were a disaster. Syracuse was good early in the season, lousy at the end. Because of it's insistence on using the RPI as a bible, the Committee really didn't look at who was playing well at the end of the season which lead to a lousy job of seeding. UMass was the poster child of being over-seeded.

Reaction Score
On the original question, I say Syracuse for 3 reasons:
1. They $uck.
2. This was a typical gag job from them.
3. They made up t-shirts proclaining their greatness. Then proceeded to lose to Boston College!

Reaction Score
I don't get why people respond so viscously. You may not agree with the poster. Fine. But it's not crazy to suggest that Wichita State was overrated - they didn't play anybody. Personally I think Louisville or Michigan were more deserving of that 1 seed.

Respond with logic, not insults.

Logic try being undefeated. Not their fault their conference foes can't recruit big time. They played who was on their schedule and never lost. They went toe to toe with one of the most talented teams and lost by 1 possession.

7th best offensive team and 13th best defensive team. Louisville is the only other team in the country ranked top 15 in both.

They beat 4tournament teams during the year. Saint Louis, BYU, Tulsa, Tennessee... Tennessee is ranked #6 by kenpom as of today. You are right they suck and should have never gotten a 1 seed.

Reminds me of people on this board saying UVA was trash back in December just cause they aren't flashy.

Reaction Score
Duke
Syracuse
Villanova
Wichita St

Wichita State seriously, Kentucky played the perfect game yesterday and most likely would have beaten anyone with the way they played. You came away from that game thinking the Shockers are the most overrated team in the country, is this the first time you've watched basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom