Who do you think the 1 seeds will be? | The Boneyard

Who do you think the 1 seeds will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was thinking about it and IMHO Tennessee is not a lock for a 1 seed. I'm not sure what the rankings will be, but Stanford just beat Tennessee and has probably the easiest schedule left - they play Cal twice and Colorado once.

UCONN IMHO won't lose a game the rest of the regular season. ND I believe beats Tennessee handily. The problem is for Duke. Great win over Kentucky this weekend, but they face ND TWICE, Maryland, UNC, etc etc in their conference. IF ND were to beat Duke both times and in the ACC tourney, It's possible that they could drop to a 2 seed and Tennessee sneak in and get the 1 seed.

But if the NCAA's were today, I'd have to say UCONN, ND, Duke and Stanford. 2 seeds Tenn, Kentucky, L'ville and probably Baylor or OK State. They'd HAVE to put Tenn in UCONN's bracket, wouldn't they?!!

Reaction Score
UConn, ND, Stanford, Kentucky #1 seeds #2 Seeds Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, Louisville
31 -0 29 - 1 29 - 1 27 - 3 27 - 3 26 - 3 25 - 5 27 - 3

With ND, Stanford and Louisville hosting regional games, this sets up some delicious elite 8 games to make it to Nashville,

Reaction Score
Long season to go but with Tennessee and Kentucky whiffing and missing at their big chance for a statement win this week I think right now the frontrunners are clearly UConn, Notre Dame, Duke, and Stanford. It's hard to see UConn or Stanford losing again this year looking at their schedules.

Duke and ND play each other 2 times, possibly 3. Not to mention Maryland and UNC. And ND goes to Tennessee. I can see Tennessee and Kentucky having some WTF losses this year.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I think if Duke comes away with one or two losses in the ACC, they'll be a number 1 seed over Stanford. I think the ACC is a much better conference, despite the Pac-12 improvement.

Reaction Score
I think if Duke comes away with one or two losses in the ACC, they'll be a number 1 seed over Stanford. I think the ACC is a much better conference, despite the Pac-12 improvement.

Both Duke and Stanford can be 1 seeds. I am pretty sure Kentucky and Tennessee are going to be losing a couple more times this year. And if Stanford finishes with 1 loss to UConn in November there's no way they can be denied a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
I think UConn and Stanford are locks, Given their schedules they should lose one or fewer games, unless Staford suffers injuries. Then the ACC champion is a guaranteed #1 seed--probably Notre Dame, but possibly Duke, with the Terps third. The last slot goes to either Duke or the SEC champion, Tenn or KY. My guess is that Duke gets the nod. Accordingly the round of eight looks like:
Lincoln, NE: UConn, MD
Notre Dame: ND, Tenn
Louisville: Duke, Louisville
Palo Alto: Stanford, KY

Reaction Score
Stanford, ND (will beat Duke at least 2 out of three possible games) and Tennessee.
Tennessee has 3 tough games left ND at home, Kentucky at home and at S. Carolina. They win 2 of those 3 and they're a lock. Lose 2 of 3 and they most likely have to win SEC tourney.

Reaction Score
Long season to go but with Tennessee and Kentucky whiffing and missing at their big chance for a statement win this week I think right now the frontrunners are clearly UConn, Notre Dame, Duke, and Stanford. It's hard to see UConn or Stanford losing again this year looking at their schedules.

Duke and ND play each other 2 times, possibly 3. Not to mention Maryland and UNC. And ND goes to Tennessee. I can see Tennessee and Kentucky having some WTF losses this year.

People know that Kentucky was missing Stallworth (hence WIlliams' inside dominance).

At this point of the year, I look at seedings like pitstops in NASCAR; they'll all cycle through and the leaders will again end up on top by the end.

Reaction Score
it all comes down to what happens with ND/Duke in the ACC and Tenn/KY in the SEC. I put my money on Muffet and Tenn. Tenn is usually a beast in SEC play regardless of who they lose to prior

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the ACC will be interesting - ND is good but how good? Their best win to date was 10 points over current #15 PSU so they haven't really been tested. Duke has played a couple of tougher games going 1-1. I don't think ND wins out in the ACC and could see them having two or three losses by the end of conference play. Same for Duke and same for MD. So ... I think the ACC winner will get a #1 and the runner up could as well.
Stanford I see as a lock as long as they take care of business in the Pac - even 1 loss out there could knock them to a two seed.
TN and or KY whoever wins the SEC will be battling the runner up out of the ACC for the final #1 (unless one of them sweeps the SEC)
Just don't see a team from Big10 or Big12 breaking into the top 8.

Reaction Score
it all comes down to what happens with ND/Duke in the ACC and Tenn/KY in the SEC. I put my money on Muffet and Tenn. Tenn is usually a beast in SEC play regardless of who they lose to prior
Yeah, they're a "beast" because the SEC is sooooooo powerful in women's basketball. Tennessee would get throttled in the ACC, playing that quality of game multiple times yearly.

Reaction Score
I think the #1 seeds will be UConn, ND, Duke and Stanford. But for at least this year, I think the Regional you get sent to supercedes the importance of being a 1 or 2 seed. For example, I would rather be a 2 seed assigned to the Stanford Regional than a 1 seed assigned to the Notre Dame Regional. And for that matter, it would kind of stink to be assigned as the 2 seed at Louisville IF the Cards were the 3 seed, meaning you would first have to knock off the Cards on their home court and then the 1 seed. Translation: the home court advantage of the host teams is significant outside of Nebraska, as the other three location host teams look to be Top 8 teams.

Reaction Score
I think the number one seeds will be UConn, Stanford, Louisville, and Tennessee

Reaction Score
UConn is a lock because of the rest of the schedule, they will get a No.1 even if they split the AAC games with Louisville.
Stanford needs to sweep Cal to ensure a No 1 seeds.
Duke/ND/Tenn/UK will vie for the rest. They need to either win the conference championship or the OC games with their seeding foes
Louisville is not going to be a No 1 seed unless it wins AAC championship.

Reaction Score
I think the number one seeds will be UConn, Stanford, Louisville, and Tennessee

No teams from the strongest conference (ACC)?? Seems unlikely the LV's get a #1 seed over ND unless they upset ND in Knoxville...is this what you are forecasting?

But let's just say your scenario for #1 seeds holds true...what Regional would each team be assigned to? Inquiring minds want know!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
People know that Kentucky was missing Stallworth (hence WIlliams' inside dominance).

At this point of the year, I look at seedings like pitstops in NASCAR; they'll all cycle through and the leaders will again end up on top by the end.

I mentioned this in the game thread. I came away from the game with more respect for Kentucky.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think UConn and Stanford are locks, Given their schedules they should lose one or fewer games, unless Staford suffers injuries. Then the ACC champion is a guaranteed #1 seed--probably Notre Dame, but possibly Duke, with the Terps third. The last slot goes to either Duke or the SEC champion, Tenn or KY. My guess is that Duke gets the nod. Accordingly the round of eight looks like:
Lincoln, NE: UConn, MD
Notre Dame: ND, Tenn
Louisville: Duke, Louisville
Palo Alto: Stanford, KY

I am just going to comment on your Elite 8. Purely hypothetical here but UT will die if they have to play ND on their home floor. They will lose and not make it back to FF.
If Louisville goes crazy again like last year they could beat Duke and Kentucky could also beat Stanford. Stanford has Ogwumike but not the backcourt to handle the Kentucky pressure.

I think the locks for #1 (at this point) are UCONN and Stanford. While the remaining 2 spots will go to ND, Kentucky, Duke and Tennessee. Depends on how conference season goes.

Again, I think the ACC will suffer the most losses. ND, Duke, Maryland, UNC, FSU. The potential for some upsets in that group. There will be some interesting games in Jan/Feb for sure.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This board is so amazing. Sure we bicker and snark with each other, but sometimes a thread has really good basketball analysis.

Great point on Tennessee, even when they lose to OOC teams, still find a way to dominate the SEC. It could propel them into a #1 seed.

Who will win the ACC? Should grab a #1 seed.

Stanford has a great chance to win out.

And to top everything off, Wonk dragged out the old "seed" joke. Awesome.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a really scary thing to think about. UConn Stanford and Tenn play in easy conferences. UConn has a tuff OOC schedule. Stanford and Tenn not so much. Which pretty much could give them those one seeds unless they lose a game they shouldn't. Duke ND and MD will play each other a 2 ot 3 times and Duke and MD lost to UConn. My fear is in the future some teams may set up their schedule to make sure they only have a couple of losses maximum if they want one seeds. IMO ND Duke and MD as 2 seeds could knock off Stanford and Tenn. Duke hasn't looked good the last few games and I am confident they will pull it together before the NCAAs. However ND Duke and MD will play each other during the season and most likely in the ACC conference tournament and one and maybe two of those teams will have more losses then Stanford and Tenn which would give them 2 seeds. The tuff part is who gets the tuffest 2 seed. Usually the 4th one seed. UConn being number 1 overall would have the 4th second seed or overall 8th ranked team. The scenarios could be tuff. You could have something like this:

UConn
Tenn
Stanford
ND/or winner of the ACC

The one seeds are not based on best teams but based on record and SOS

Then the 2 seeds could be in this order:

Duke
Kentucky
MD
Louisville

Regionals could be

UConn Louisville @ Louisville
Tenn MD @ Nebraska
Stanford Kentucky @ Stanford
ND Duke @ ND

FF

UConn/winner of ND Duke
Tenn/MD Winner of Stanford/Kentucky

A lot depends on the ACC and who beats who. If ND Duke and MD beat up on each other or one of those teams beats up on the other teams then that changes everything. If ND Duke or MD go undefeated in the ACC then that changes everything. If ND is the number 2 one seed that changes everything. There's a lot to think about here and it all rests with the 3 top ACC teams. If ND goes undefeated or with one loss that would mean Duke and MD would most likely have 3 or more losses. Duke and MD get the 2 seeds and most likely would face Tenn and ND with UConn facing Stanford.

Don't forget Louisville will face UConn twice in the conference and most likely in the conference finals and imo will lose all three which means they could get a 3 seed.

Based on their schedules I don't see UConn losing. Tenn has a chance of losing to ND givng them 2 losses and possible 1 in conference loss. Stanford could have one conference loss too. Remember Tenn and Kentucky, Duke ND and MD, and UConn Louisville all play each other in their conference and conference tourney. They could see each other 3-4 times before the NCAAs are over. How will that play out in the seedings. Louisville will likely lose to UConn 3 times. The NCAA has a lot of work to do choosing the top 8 teams because those teams play so each other so many times in conference except for Stanford.

My Picks in this order presuming no injuries.

UConn
ND
Stanford
Tenn

2 seeds Not in order

Duke
MD
Kentucky
Louisville

Reaction Score
I think teams like Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, will cause the ACC to not have anybody as a 1 seed. Fortunately for the Lady Vols, our toughest conference games are home, and yes I firmly believe we will beat ND at home.

Reaction Score
Tonyc,
I don't think that the regionals would be set up the way you have them given your seeds. They would not put UConn/Louisville together and Duke/ND together given that that are in the same conferences. That is why I put Uconn in Lincoln. So with your teams, I would put Tenn in Louisville and then put Duke in Palo Alto.

Reaction Score
I think teams like Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, will cause the ACC to not have anybody as a 1 seed. Fortunately for the Lady Vols, our toughest conference games are home, and yes I firmly believe we will beat ND at home.

You imply that record alone with be THE determining factor in who is a #1 seed. Are you an undercover Ohio State football fan? If anything, having stronger conference opponents will boost the SOS and RPI of the top ACC teams, and help them propel past the weaker SEC teams. Make no mistake, the ACC will get at least one if not two top seeds.

On the contrary, the poor OOC performance of the SEC might hinder them come seeding time. Again, having a great conference record will be neutralized by playing in a watered-down conference. But that doesn't apply to the Huskies since they play a rugged OOC and have still remained undefeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom