Who Could (Possibly) Defeat UConn in the Tournament? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Could (Possibly) Defeat UConn in the Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConns one plus is their defense which has never failed them and their opponents haven't been able to have 5 scorers in double figures. Don't kid yourself, our big 3 will be sky high and focused for this tournament. They will be at their highest level. There are no "ifs" when it comes to UConn winning. Every other team needs something to happen and a lot of "if's" have to happen to win a game against UConn. UConn being UConn will beat top teams with their "B" game and if they play their "A" or "A+" game turn out the lights.

You will see out BIG 3 rise to the top in the Regionals and FF, because that's what the Great Ones do.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConns one plus is their defense which has never failed them and their opponents haven't been able to have 5 scorers in double figures. Don't kid yourself, our big 3 will be sky high and focused for this tournament. They will be at their highest level. There are no "ifs" when it comes to UConn winning. Every other team needs something to happen and a lot of "if's" have to happen to win a game against UConn. UConn being UConn will beat top teams with their "B" game and if they play their "A" or "A+" game turn out the lights.

You will see out BIG 3 rise to the top in the Regionals and FF, because that's what the Great Ones do. Get ready for them to put on a show. Winners win and that's all you have to know about our BIG 3.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ND.

1) ND is the only team that has enough belief. The O.P. asked which team could possibly defeat us. Of course the likelihood is very remote, but the first step to winning any game is believing you can win.

2) Second, ND has multiple shooters that know how work the perimeter very well; they can make tough shots without a lot of daylight, off of quick screens etc.

3) This type of offense is tougher to take away than South Carolina's inside game or Texas' inside game, etc.

4) Any loss for us would be a tight game down the stretch, and I haven't seen a coach who knows how to get her players to exhibit the necessary toughness to close out UCONN other than MM.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've read all of the posts above. All of you make some very valid and spot on points. In the "Who can beat UConn debate", just remember that Geno knows what's ahead in the tournament. He knows the EXACT time to jack up his girls and have them at their peak (performance wise). When UConn arrives in Indiana, they will be stoked, ready to play their best games of the year. You can suggest all of the what if's and maybe's you want to. All of the chips will be in the center of the table. This will be the biggest weekend of the season. This is what they've been training for since the first day of practice back in October. They've had this weekend circled on their calendars since the schedule was announced. They will bring their A GAME. THAT will be they first thing they pack.

ALL 5 starters will be ready to play 40 minutes BOTH games. Mo and Stewart are not going out on a sour note.
They along with the rest of the team will do whatever they have to do to win the NC. It's going to come down to those last two games. UConn will be ready. Geno is a master motivator. He knows what buttons to push and when. If you don't remember anything else, remember this: Geno always says "If we bring our A game, no one is going to beat us". You can take that to the bank. :cool:

It's not going to happen, but a UConn collapse in the finals would be bigger news than when they win. (notice I didn't say IF they win).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad" (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, based obscurely on a Greek original via William Anderson Scott). Madness, in the ancient Greek world, came from hubris, and I sense a lot of it here. Just sayin'....
But I think a certain amount of Hubris is to be expected on a UCONN WCBB board no?

If not us, then who?
If not now, then when?”
John E. Lewis

Reaction Score
But I think a certain amount of Hubris is to be expected on a UCONN WCBB board no?

If not us, then who?
If not now, then when?”
John E. Lewis
John E. Lewis ripped off a traditional Jewish sentiment attributed to Rabbi Hillel (contemporary of Jesus): "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
The point of this is to remember that, while we must hold ourselves accountable, we must also think of others. And we cannot put off those obligations.
Hillel was certainly influenced by contemporary Hellenistic Greek thought, and while he wouldn't agree with the basic point about hubris, he would acknowledge that modesty is an essential quality of being human. Just sayin'..... :)

Reaction Score
ON a given night any one can be beat. We would have to play bad and the other team would have to shot very good. As has been said if we bring our A game we can't be beat. Stewie finally had an off game so that is out of the way. The best of the UConn Huskies is about to come out, so to every player I say go get the NC. Shooting for 4. South Carolina will be in the championship game and I love beating them. HUSKIES, HUSKIES who that gonna beat them HUSKIES?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It's been said time and again, that the only way to have a chance to beat UConn is a team has to be able to score to match them. With the way the Huskies play D, no team they face will score enough. Geno has two basic principles on defense; take away the opposition's most effective scoring threat and don't allow the opposing team to run the plays they run most effectively, as they did with tOSU, South Carolina, and FSU. UConn runs a read and react offense and they score effectively from all five positions, so they are extremely difficult to defend, Stewart and Tuck are match-up problems for any team they face. ND can score but UConn can defend ND relatively easily because Brianna Turner won't beat the UConn Big's don the floor the way she does everyone else and she's really not an effective post player, he paint points come on lobs and beating teams down the floor.

If UConn is going to be beaten by anyone a confluence of events must occur, a "perfect storm," if you will, otherwise an 11th Natty is a foregone conclusion...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
John E. Lewis ripped off a traditional Jewish sentiment attributed to Rabbi Hillel (contemporary of Jesus): "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
The point of this is to remember that, while we must hold ourselves accountable, we must also think of others. And we cannot put off those obligations.
Hillel was certainly influenced by contemporary Hellenistic Greek thought, and while he wouldn't agree with the basic point about hubris, he would acknowledge that modesty is an essential quality of being human. Just sayin'..... :)
I am always thinking of others. So a rephrasing of Lewis quote might look like this :
If UCONN fans cannot brag (on a UCONN board no less) what other fans can brag ?
UCONN is defending back, to back, to back ,( getting ready to defend ) national Champions, If UCONN fans cannot brag now when will we ever be able to brag.?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Temple game was next game after the South Carolina. Morgan had two full weeks of down time before South and the schedule allows her to have almost as much rest going into the NCAA tournament.
AAC Finals is March 7 th. 1st and Second round games start on March 18th. Realistically UCONN should probably not need Morgan until regional finals which are the March 28th. There is plenty of time to rest & Morgan will be fine- I hope.
Interestingly Morgan hasn't worn her knee brace for two games. I don't think her knee is at this time her biggest issue. She's running the floor well. With her back to the basket she's taking a nice long step left and right and planting strong for layups. Honestly to me it just seems her timing is off. Not just inside where double teams have been an issue for her, but outside as well. Players need to play themselves out of stuff like this. I'm not worried. It will help if KLS continues to keep the pressure off the inside by making shots.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I dislike very much how people are Roger Clemensing-misremembering the Dayton, BYU, this years ND game. Each game required a halftime adjustment and UCONN has the best in the business at making adjustments. In the second half of those games UCONN adjusted well enough to have leads that were well above the expected MOV. Here is the thing about defeating UCONN in a big game, one or more UCONN players can afford to have a bad game because Stewie never has a bad game. To beat UCONN ALL your players must play at their best.
Another interesting thing. If KLS continues to shoot as she has, this is essentially the same 5 as last year. Except Lou plays better defense, and the bench is stronger. Just sayin".

Reaction Score
Another interesting thing. If KLS continues to shoot as she has, this is essentially the same 5 as last year. Except Lou plays better defense, and the bench is stronger. Just sayin".

Hmm, don't know about that. Maybe "essentially". But a senior KML shooting 49% from 3 vs. KLS shooting 37% (albeit 42% in recent weeks). KML had 100+ assists. KML was also a better rebounder, offensive and defense. Defensive liability or not - and KLS, while improved defensively from the beginning of the season, ain't Stewie or Mo (or even Nurse for that matter) - I'll take the senior. I mean, UConn isn't going to lose or anything....

JordyG

Reaction Score
I thought the effective words were "If KLS continues" and "Essentially". I would argue whether KML was a better rebounder or a better passer. Stats only tell A truth. And never "nothing but".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Some time ago I pondered starting a thread on who was the better passer, KML or KLS. I thought the world of KML overall, and thought her passing was very underrated. But, when I watch KLS, it is not her shooting that impresses me, it's her passing. She just seems like a natural.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
"Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad"... Madness, in the ancient Greek world, came from hubris, and I sense a lot of it here...
upload_2016-2-29_16-23-17.png

JordyG

Reaction Score
Some time ago I pondered starting a thread on who was the better passer, KML or KLS. I thought the world of KML overall, and thought her passing was very underrated. But, when I watch KLS, it is not her shooting that impresses me, it's her passing. She just seems like a natural.
Yes. I've noted before that her passes are crisp, especially her chest passes which seem to me picture perfect. She just needs to know and read her teammates better. All that with time.

Reaction Score
I thought the effective words were "If KLS continues" and "Essentially". I would argue whether KML was a better rebounder or a better passer. Stats only tell A truth. And never "nothing but".

That's fair. Though KML's rebounding in big games was always somewhat overlooked. The senior vs. freshman aspect matters far more than the stats. I expect KLS to have ups-and-downs between now and April (not sure she will be Stewie-good in freshman post-season campaign though), but I'm not sure that we beat ND last year in the NC game without KML's timely plays and shots (that 3pt and 2pt in consecutive possessions in the 4Q especially).

Reaction Score
I am always thinking of others. So a rephrasing of Lewis quote might look like this :
If UCONN fans cannot brag (on a UCONN board no less) what other fans can brag ?
UCONN is defending back, to back, to back ,( getting ready to defend ) national Champions, If UCONN fans cannot brag now when will we ever be able to brag.?

As the pitcher Dizzy Dean once said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." And Connecticut has been doing it for the past three years. Confidence that this year's team can do it again comes from their record of knocking off the top-ranked teams in the nation- already!

Odds on favorite. And that ain't braggin'.

JordyG

Reaction Score
An
As the pitcher Dizzy Dean once said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." And Connecticut has been doing it for the past three years. Confidence that this year's team can do it again comes from their record of knocking off the top-ranked teams in the nation- already!

Odds on favorite. And that ain't braggin'.
And of course Satchel Page said "Don't look back something may be gaining on you". No looking back. This team plays like champions and sees itself as champions. Enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom