Where's THAT Dorka? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where's THAT Dorka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wanted to point out all the improvements she's made in so many areas. But when we play SC, victory always seems to come down to who can dominate physically. Our athleticism was overwhelmingly better than theirs, but once SC put 3 big bodies in the paint, the game changed and we lost our edge. This is where we needed Dorka to play like a big.

Having Azzi back will make a huge difference -- a few threes, and the threat of a three can open the floor a bit . Caroline will help too, but she's got the same reluctance to bang inside that Dorka displays. We need to match their physicality with physicality. We were the better team until SC went full bully. They didn't play dirty, just more physical with more bigs.
SC is a dominant force inside. To be able to sub in a 6' 7" for a dominant 6'5" all american is a definite asset, unmatched by other teams. We need our healthy sharp shooters to be available and lethal to beat the SC's and Stanfords. So, yes, Azzi is critical for the Ncaa tournament.

Reaction Score
Boston never fouls, never pushes, never shoves. She's the perfect player. It's sickening, unfair and absurd. I feel like she is the villain winner in Pro Wrestling at times. If you ever had officials with courage, she would be in foul trouble very game.
I have watched several sc games and if Boston ever gets to two fouls(rarely called) then Dawn starts with her whining and stomping and overall histrionics it is very effective unfortunately

Reaction Score
You guys know most post players don’t play 40 minutes a game much less multiple games on a row, right?

Dorka saved the team’s bacon vs Providence when Aaliyah played only 26 minutes and was huge vs Villanova. She was big in the 2nd half vs Tennessee too. I know people would rather point out flaws, errors, and mistakes - heaven forbid a player have an off game - but this Dorka bashing is unbelievable
I agree completely. It is petty and shows a lack of understanding of the sport. Aaliyah and Lou were exhausted against Providence and way off. That is what also happened to Dorka against SC. I mean that was 6 games in 16 days. I got tired just watching them on TV. Give everyone a break. We are #4 in the country at the least with really 5 players of that high level caliber. Jeez!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's more about skill sets than talent-levels. Dorka has been very very good all season, logging many minutes doing what she does. Trying to turn her into a Cardoza clone for one game is not going to work. The real killer factor on the boards is SC having 20 fouls to spread among 4 players, and us having only the 20/2. We're playing in handcuffs and that's if the whistles are even. If Boston gets the NPOY pass on fouling, fuggedaboutit.
Make that 10/2 for us...

Reaction Score
And they just cater to her and are intimidated by her which really bothers me.
If you watch the replay at the 21:20 mark on the video of the foul that was called on Bree Hall on the inbounds play where she grabbed Lou you can see Bree Hall and Boston both clearly complaining that a foul was called. Then if you continue to watch and stop it at the 21:30 mark, Boston can be seen speaking to the ref.

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay at the 21:20 mark on the video of the foul that was called on Bree Hall on the inbounds play where she grabbed Lou you can see Bree Hall and Boston both clearly complaining that a foul was called. Then if you continue to watch and stop it at the 21:30 mark, Boston can be seen speaking to the ref.
Why does she get a separate audience? That was the most obvious foul you can imagine. They obviously believed that rules of the sport allowed it.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to defend an offense that throws up bricks and knowing that they send everyone after the rebounds .. if a team was able to match their big 3 and out rebound them they wouldn’t score over 50 .. I mean their way of playing wins games it’s boring but effective .. I personally like to watch more finesse games pic-n-rolls high low games and shooters coming off screens for jumpers ..

Reaction Score
Why does she get a separate audience? That was the most obvious foul you can imagine. They obviously believed that rules of the sport allowed it.
Same way Draymont Green gets away with what he does ..

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, this also must mean the SC players aren't trying to foul, or playing maliciously in any sense. They are trying to play within the spirit of the rules. As far as I know, this is good sportsmanship. It may also be poor officiating, and poor policy decisions about how to enforce the rules. Also, Boston isn't complaining about a foul called on her at this point. I find nothing to fault SC with, or Boston, or Dawn, in the way this game was played.

This also means Dorka and Aaliyah played within the rules of the sport as everyone on the court understood them. The rules seemed to cut against Dorka in particular, but she still did her job, made a substantial contribution. The fans may be upset about some of the calls more than the players were. I try to take my cue from the players, when possible. It isn't always possible. Lou was remarkably composed for someone getting so roughed up.

Reaction Score
Dorka is kind of like Steph Dolson. They are tall, not the most athletic, but their basketball IQ is off the charts. Dorka will be OK and should have a long pro career if she chooses to want one. She is averaging a double-double on the most storied college basketball team in history. That always translates to the WNBA. Also, the Huskies have a dominate post in AE so her skill set what it needs to be on this team.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame SC at all. If the refs allow players to be roughed up, you take advantage of it, I guess I blame the refs for not calling obvious fouls and charges, especially against Boston and for allowing Lou to be mailed repeatedly.

Reaction Score
"our athleticism was overwhelmingly better than theirs..?" Have to disagree with that. Edwards is as athletic as anyone they have and so is Aubrey . But that is not true with anyone else. And we won't mention the bench players at all.
I think Nika is extremely athletic, Dorka for a 6'5 player is also very athletic, and Lou may fool you but she is also pretty athletic. UCONN really was hurt the most when AE left the floor for fouls and she was replaced by a person that was overwhelmed by the height of SC. I wouldn't say it was athleticism as much as it was they are a hard team to match up with on height.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame SC at all. If the refs allow players to be roughed up, you take advantage of it, I guess I blame the refs for not calling obvious fouls and charges, especially against Boston and for allowing Lou to be mailed repeatedly.
Exactly my contention for a long time. It goes back to the officiating.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, this also must mean the SC players aren't trying to foul, or playing maliciously in any sense. They are trying to play within the spirit of the rules. As far as I know, this is good sportsmanship. It may also be poor officiating, and poor policy decisions about how to enforce the rules. Also, Boston isn't complaining about a foul called on her at this point. I find nothing to fault SC with, or Boston, or Dawn, in the way this game was played.

This also means Dorka and Aaliyah played within the rules of the sport as everyone on the court understood them. The rules seemed to cut against Dorka in particular, but she still did her job, made a substantial contribution. The fans may be upset about some of the calls more than the players were. I try to take my cue from the players, when possible. It isn't always possible. Lou was remarkably composed for someone getting so roughed up.
I don't agree at all. Do you really think that there was good faith and sportsmanship in defending Lou to hold her, grab her jersey, bruise her? That the defender thought after playing basketball at many levels for many years that the rules of the sport now allowed those kind of actions? If so, why did she stop immediately after Geno's technical? Sorry, this was a game plan. She did what the game plan was.

Believe what you want but I fail to see how that the defense on Lou was good sportsmanship. You yourself admit that Lou was roughed up. That is good sportsmanship in basketball? They weren't trying to play within the letter or spirit of the rules. They were trying to get away with what they could to muscle her and shut her down. The officials were weak and it worked. I guess you disagree with Geno. I don't. It's not basketball. I think he has a good historical perspective on that. Finally, why would Boston complain about any foul on her? There was 1 all game. She has had 2 in the last 2 times we played including the NC last year. Go back and watch the game. If you think she only committed 1 foul all game that is not my view of it at all. My view is that she has received preferential treatment by the officials not only in this game but as a matter of course.

Reaction Score
I don't agree at all. Do you really think that there was good faith and sportsmanship in defending Lou to hold her, grab her jersey, bruise her? That the defender thought after playing basketball at many levels for many years that the rules of the sport now allowed those kind of actions? If so, why did she stop immediately after Geno's technical? Sorry, this was a game plan. She did what the game plan was.

Believe what you want but I fail to see how that the defense on Lou was good sportsmanship. You yourself admit that Lou was roughed up. That is good sportsmanship in basketball? They weren't trying to play within the letter or spirit of the rules. They were trying to get away with what they could to muscle her and shut her down. The officials were weak and it worked. I guess you disagree with Geno. I don't. It's not basketball. I think he has a good historical perspective on that. Finally, why would Boston complain about any foul on her? There was 1 all game. She has had 2 in the last 2 times we played including the NC last year. Go back and watch the game. If you think she only committed 1 foul all game that is not my view of it at all. My view is that she has received preferential treatment by the officials not only in this game but as a matter of course.
I don't buy this easy equation between fouls and character, especially when the officiating is inconsistent. Players aren't making settled reflections on tactics in the heat of the moment. Zia played Lou tough. She got carried away at certain moments. The refs let her get a bloody nose when she got too close. I wish the refs had sent that message sooner. We're not talking pre-meditation here. Same with Aliyah -- she hacked Dorka on a drive, but it wasn't malicious (no "malice aforethought" as the law talking dudes like to say) and the refs missed it. She probably didn't even notice doing it.

Until the refs make it clear how they think the rules apply to the action before them, the players are going to play as energetically as they can. If they continue after the refs have clarified things, then they get in foul trouble. And just to be fair to the ref, they feel the pressure of "the big game," too. They can make mistakes on individual calls and on game policy, and I think we all feel they made such mistakes in this game.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this easy equation between fouls and character, especially when the officiating is inconsistent. Players aren't making settled reflections on tactics in the heat of the moment. Zia played Lou tough. She got carried away at certain moments. The refs let her get a bloody nose when she got too close. I wish the refs had sent that message sooner. We're not talking pre-meditation here. Same with Aliyah -- she hacked Dorka on a drive, but it wasn't malicious (no "malice aforethought" as the law talking dudes like to say) and the refs missed it. She probably didn't even notice doing it.

Until the refs make it clear how they think the rules apply to the action before them, the players are going to play as energetically as they can. If they continue after the refs have clarified things, then they get in foul trouble. And just to be fair to the ref, they feel the pressure of "the big game," too. They can make mistakes on individual calls and on game policy, and I think we all feel they made such mistakes in this game.
There is absolutely no comparison between Boston hacking Dorka on one play and Cooke doing what she did to Lou for the entire game. That bloody nose was the result of her holding Lou and Lou trying to move with the ball. I think one photo posted on the BY actually shows Cooke holding her uniform at that moment. Please don't try to gaslight this. If you do you are disagreeing with what Geno said and if you want to do that be upfront about it and criticize what he said.

It wasn't certain moments she got carried away at. It was the entire game. If you don't think that was a designed game plan to muscle Lou you are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong. The prior games that was the strategy used on her. SC likely looked at film. I doubt Cooke decided to play her that way on her own. If she did, she is more of a culprit for the bruises than anyone thought.

We do agree on the refs with one caveat. Even if the refs allow it it doesn't ever justify bruising, grabbing, holding and pushing. Those refs were weak and should not be allowed to call a single NCAA game. That out of bounds hand off non call was incredible. Not only was it a clear rule violation, he also missed Staley trying to call timeout.

There is a bigger issue here. it is the disparity in the quality of officiating between the women's and men's game and the amount and type of physicality that is allowed with the women but not the men. If a defender in the men's game did what Cooke did( you mentioned her by name I didn't) there would be a guaranteed fistfight. Why the difference in the quality of the referees?

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no comparison between Boston hacking Dorka on one play and Cooke doing what she did to Lou for the entire game. That bloody nose was the result of her holding Lou and Lou trying to move with the ball. I think one photo posted on the BY actually shows Cooke holding her uniform at that moment. Please don't try to gaslight this. If you do you are disagreeing with what Geno said and if you want to do that be upfront about it and criticize what he said.

It wasn't certain moments she got carried away at. It was the entire game. If you don't think that was a designed game plan to muscle Lou you are entitled to your opinion but you are dead wrong. The prior games that was the strategy used on her. SC likely looked at film. I doubt Cooke decided to play her that way on her own. If she did, she is more of a culprit for the bruises than anyone thought.

We do agree on the refs with one caveat. Even if the refs allow it it doesn't ever justify bruising, grabbing, holding and pushing. Those refs were weak and should not be allowed to call a single NCAA game. That out of bounds hand off non call was incredible. Not only was it a clear rule violation, he also missed Staley trying to call timeout.

There is a bigger issue here. it is the disparity in the quality of officiating between the women's and men's game and the amount and type of physicality that is allowed with the women but not the men. If a defender in the men's game did what Cooke did( you mentioned her by name I didn't) there would be a guaranteed fistfight. Why the difference in the quality of the referees?
Accusing someone of gaslighting is a form of gaslighting. Cut it out. Changing the subject to men's vs women's officiating on the pretense that it's a bigger issue when it played no part in this thread until you suddenly dumped it here is more gaslighting. Now to get to the issue here, first let me clear this out of the way:

I agree that those were fouls, but I have zero interest in relitigating all the fouls. I think Cooke should have fouled out before halftime if the refs had done their jobs. In reality, had the refs actually done their jobs, Cooke and Boston would have sat with 2 fouls each before the end of the 1st quarter. What's more, I'm irritated when I hear an opposing coach say in pre-game interviews that their team will have to "play physical." Typically this means the bumping grabbing play we are both irritated by. We've heard this from coaches before almost every game this season. I hope that satisfies you.

Now to the real issue: your very own remark which I responded to above ("They obviously believed that rules of the sport allowed it") means they were playing in good faith. I don't think there's any other way to read your words. And here's the kicker: I think you were right to say this.

Now follow the implication of your own insight: players defend aggressively, with some amount of physical contact, and don't get whistled for it. Naturally they continue playing that way on the assumption that they are still within the rules. They even get rewarded for it, if it makes them more effective. All the while, the game gets a bit more bruising -- as many have observed about play this season -- and the style of play UConn favors is disadvantaged by this.

I imagine you're disappointed, even annoyed by this development. I know I am. Many folks in the BY think this is ruining the game. But the players aren't the villains here. The rules committee and the officials are. This is what I meant when I said above "I don't buy this easy equation between fouls and character." Many threads here have devolved into character critiques of players and I find this unpersuasive, perhaps even misguided. I'd like to see the refs be more attentive to the "freedom of movement" concept and rein in the physicality of the game. But I'm not going to blame the players for it.

And a finał coda: I'm not talking about flopping. This is a different issue and some teams really make a habit of this, teams we've had the misfortune of playing this season. I hate this, and I am disappointed in the players who do it and the coaches who encourage it. This is a dishonest practice, not just a matter of aggression-creep.

Reaction Score
Accusing someone of gaslighting is a form of gaslighting. Cut it out. Changing the subject to men's vs women's officiating on the pretense that it's a bigger issue when it played no part in this thread until you suddenly dumped it here is more gaslighting. Now to get to the issue here, first let me clear this out of the way:

I agree that those were fouls, but I have zero interest in relitigating all the fouls. I think Cooke should have fouled out before halftime if the refs had done their jobs. In reality, had the refs actually done their jobs, Cooke and Boston would have sat with 2 fouls each before the end of the 1st quarter. What's more, I'm irritated when I hear an opposing coach say in pre-game interviews that their team will have to "play physical." Typically this means the bumping grabbing play we are both irritated by. We've heard this from coaches before almost every game this season. I hope that satisfies you.

Now to the real issue: your very own remark which I responded to above ("They obviously believed that rules of the sport allowed it") means they were playing in good faith. I don't think there's any other way to read your words. And here's the kicker: I think you were right to say this.

Now follow the implication of your own insight: players defend aggressively, with some amount of physical contact, and don't get whistled for it. Naturally they continue playing that way on the assumption that they are still within the rules. They even get rewarded for it, if it makes them more effective. All the while, the game gets a bit more bruising -- as many have observed about play this season -- and the style of play UConn favors is disadvantaged by this.

I imagine you're disappointed, even annoyed by this development. I know I am. Many folks in the BY think this is ruining the game. But the players aren't the villains here. The rules committee and the officials are. This is what I meant when I said above "I don't buy this easy equation between fouls and character." Many threads here have devolved into character critiques of players and I find this unpersuasive, perhaps even misguided. I'd like to see the refs be more attentive to the "freedom of movement" concept and rein in the physicality of the game. But I'm not going to blame the players for it.

And a finał coda: I'm not talking about flopping. This is a different issue and some teams really make a habit of this, teams we've had the misfortune of playing this season. I hate this, and I am disappointed in the players who do it and the coaches who encourage it. This is a dishonest practice, not just a matter of aggression-creep.
Actually you first raised the issue as to the officiating and I am not changing the issue but really expanding on it. You find an innocence in violating the rules but doing it in supposed good faith because it is not being called. To me, a foul is still a foul not matter the intent. It may make it non-intentional or non-flagrant but it is still a foul. We are not talking about aggressive defense on Lou, we are talking about bruising, holding, and grabbing the jersey. Those acts are always fouls per se, irrespective of being called. An experienced player like Cooke didn't think the rules changed, she thought she was getting away with it, which she was because of the way the game was being called.

I think it inappropriate to highlight Cooke's bloody nose which she brought on herself by encroaching in a fouling manner on Lou's space by body restricting her, when there is photographic evidence of Lou's bruises and Geno himself verified them, neither of which you mentioned. Is it just the refs fault because they were lax, weak or incompetent or was this a game plan? Believe what you want, we will never agree, but as I said before I am sure Cooke was told to play this way and knew what it entailed. It's what Nova and Providence did and it appeared to be effective so the probabilities are with my theory not yours.

I'm not equating fouls that are not intentional with poor character, and I don't know where this straw man came from. I never said it. I would equate intentional acts like sitting down purposely on Aaliyah's back in the Tennessee game with unacceptable and despicable behavior, like a punch to the face, that transcends the sport because it is outside the bounds of the game itself. It also was capable of producing a serious and career ending injury and thankfully did not.

I do agree with the problem with the refs but I think that playing in a way that violates the written rules of the game is wrong in and of itself. If I can get away with bruising you, am I justified in doing it? Am I relieved of responsibility? I think not.

I've already written to the NCAA rules committee about the physicality, lack of freedom of movement , the lack of enforcement of the rules by the referees and the gradual degradation of the sport as a result of it. It's all connected. In 2019, the Rules Committee for women's basketball adopted the new 3 point line as a way to "reduce physicality and promote freedom of movement". The NCAA was well aware of what was happening. Their new rule didn't work. Emphasizing freedom of movement in training and retraining of the officials would have worked much better as cited in the Bilas report a few years ago. And yes, the NCAA will bear ultimate responsibility in my mind if there is a catastrophic injury because a game gets out of hand and non-incidental physicality is not limited or prevented.

I find it interesting and sad that there is no flopping rule in women's basketball. The incidence of ACLs in women versus men is much greater as is the incidence of recurrence. It is the flopper who is protected in that foul, she is already on the floor, the offensive player is the one at risk of falling onto her in a twisting or other injury producing manner. To me, this is another example of the sport needing an independent study, a thorough review and the implementation of change that will benefit the game. If you think this is just about the last UCONN game, you are wrong. I have raised these issues on this site and elsewhere for a long time. Someone will raise them in a different forum one day and the NCAA will be on the receiving end of it for lack of oversight and supervision.

There is no need in my mind for further discussion. Let's see how Marquette defends Lou tonight. I hope that Big East officials will not allow the same nonsense that we saw on Sunday and that Marquette will not resort to the same tactics. Aggressive defense yes, "good faith" but knowing rule violations no.

Reaction Score
For at least 10 games Dorka does not consistently go hard and grab rebounds. She has taken to tipping the ball not grabbing it. You’ve seen it in some passes she receives when fatigued. Maybe she’ll come around.

Reaction Score
I'm not equating fouls that are not intentional with poor character, and I don't know where this straw man came from. I never said it.

@BBallF I didn't say YOU were equating play with character. Jeez. Read a little. I said this had come up in various threads and said I didn't agree with it. Then YOU singled that remark out, made a big show of ridiculing me for saying it (even though you appear to agree with me about this), falsified my statements, and then began to deflect and dodge. It's a shame, since but for that, we tend to agree on most things. I hope for better things in the future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stop whining about the fouls. Move along. Good lord, we are becoming a whiny fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom