Where's THAT Dorka? | The Boneyard

Where's THAT Dorka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Dorka we saw for about five minutes in the NCAA Tournament last year. The five minutes ended by her injury. The one who played with the fearless intensity that Nika plays with. I'm not bashing her, it's in her, we saw it, even if only for a brief few minutes. Standing around the perimeter and shooting 3's at a mediocre success rate is not what the team needs from one of its tallest players. To beat SC you have to be able stand toe-to-toe when they play Bully Ball and send three bigs into the lane to secure every offensive rebound. Our bigs needs to play like bigs -- and they do. Except for Dorka, who mostly plays smaller than her size. The difference between winning and losing to SC was a few rebounds, and of course, a bonehead technical by Geno.

Reaction Score
I agree that she needed to be better against SC (and will need to be if they meet them again) but she has been solid MOST of the time this season. It was a little less than a week ago that when Edwards was in foul trouble she carried the load in the front court in a close game against Providence and she's had several games like this since she's been back from her thumb injury.

Reaction Score
Dorka doesn't have the strength to mix it up for 40 minutes. She can help you against tall players with a similar build but she isn't going to be the answer against SC. The issue I see with her right now is her shot is looking tired and that could be corrected once they get a couple of bodies back to give her a spell. Her play is consistently good and she will make a difference against teams like Stanford if they should matchup later.

Reaction Score
I wanted to point out all the improvements she's made in so many areas. But when we play SC, victory always seems to come down to who can dominate physically. Our athleticism was overwhelmingly better than theirs, but once SC put 3 big bodies in the paint, the game changed and we lost our edge. This is where we needed Dorka to play like a big.

Having Azzi back will make a huge difference -- a few threes, and the threat of a three can open the floor a bit . Caroline will help too, but she's got the same reluctance to bang inside that Dorka displays. We need to match their physicality with physicality. We were the better team until SC went full bully. They didn't play dirty, just more physical with more bigs.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
The Dorka we saw for about five minutes in the NCAA Tournament last year. The five minutes ended by her injury. The one who played with the fearless intensity that Nika plays with. I'm not bashing her, it's in her, we saw it, even if only for a brief few minutes. Standing around the perimeter and shooting 3's at a mediocre success rate is not what the team needs from one of its tallest players. To beat SC you have to be able stand toe-to-toe when they play Bully Ball and send three bigs into the lane to secure every offensive rebound. Our bigs needs to play like bigs -- and they do. Except for Dorka, who mostly plays smaller than her size. The difference between winning and losing to SC was a few rebounds, and of course, a bonehead technical by Geno.
With respect I disagree with your take. Dorka was playing on the perimeter as part of Geno's game plan. He said he wanted 3 point shots from Dorka and Aubrey to offset SC scoring on the offensive boards. And to open the lane for drivers. Much of the offense was also run through her because Nika was being guarded closely full court. Coach Staley said post game this was done to disrupt the offense running though Nika. BTW Dorka is leading the team in rebounding at 10.2 per game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dorka doesn't have the strength to mix it up for 40 minutes. She can help you against tall players with a similar build but she isn't going to be the answer against SC. The issue I see with her right now is her shot is looking tired and that could be corrected once they get a couple of bodies back to give her a spell. Her play is consistently good and she will make a difference against teams like Stanford if they should matchup later.

If she's on the floor, and SC is crashing the boards, she needs to play that way if we're going to beat SC. We have no suitable alternative to her. She can't be on the outside looking in when SC has 3 bigs in the paint. She needs to do what it takes.

Reaction Score
With respect I disagree with your take. Dorka was playing on the perimeter as part of Geno's game plan. He said he wanted 3 point shots from Dorka and Aubrey to offset SC scoring on the offensive boards. And to open the lane for drivers. Much of the offense was also run through her because Nika was being guarded closely full court. Coach Staley said post game this was done to disrupt the offense running though Nika. BTW Dorka is leading the team in rebounding at 10.4 per game.
Dorka did a nice job in all those things, but once SC decided to dominate the paint with 3 bigs, she remained on the outside and the game turned. Every time we've lost to SC this same thing has happened. Now maybe it wasn't Dorka's fault, maybe it was that Geno failed to adjust, but we kept putting a 6'5" player on the perimeter while we were getting dominated inside by SC once again. If she can just conjure up that psycho-Dorka that we got a glimpse of in the tournament last -- that Tasmanian Devil-like superstar who dominated, we can beat SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure one can use the South Carolina game as a measuring stick on how valuable Dorka has been to this Team this Year. Every time anyone plays South Carolina they have to consider the "Boston Factor"... specifically that she can push, shove, body block her way to rebounds and/or shots while rarely being called for a foul. I reflect on a play in our most recent game. Boston was near the block on the right side of the paint and Ayanna was pressed up close to her (not fouling), standing straight up, arms raised straight up...nowhere for Boston to go at least toward the basket... So, she lowered her left shoulder, drove directly into Ayanna's chest knocking her back and thus clearing a way to make a shot. Ayanna never moved, reached in, or hip checked Boston, but yet Ayanna was called for a foul and Boston got the and 1. I admit I don't watch all the South Carolina games, but this same stuff happens in every game UCONN plays against them. To my recollection this is NOT basketball...and the call should have been a CHARGE against Boston, not BLOCKING by Ayanna.
Dorka was subject to the same plays in the game as well.

Reaction Score
When I rewatched the game, I really thought at times she played ok. Then other times she struggled. But SCs last loss was to a stretch big who was able to pull Boston away from the basket and make clutch threes. I thought the threes she took were good shots that unfortunately didn't fall.
I think it's just demoralizing, and the optics that make it seem like she played very poorly. But it was interesting, heading into the game Geno said they would lose the rebounding battle. Like he was under no illusion. It really is just what SC does.
But I think those games, this was only really her second one (first playing extensive minutes) against the number 1 team, number 1 player at her position, are great for her. It's interesting to watch Boston and how she handles the physicality with patience in the paint, and doesn't often get rushed or flustered.

Reaction Score
She did not appear to be at the top of her game. I also think the "tired" cycle is unique to each player. Against Providence it was Aaliyah and Lou. They got recharged with 3 1/2 days in between. Without subs that don't create drop off, our starters are playing huge minutes. I think you will see a different Dorka tomorrow night. If we are all fresh and feeling good as starters, and get Azzi and CD back and in form, we can win it all.

Reaction Score
Even the top workers in a company don't perform at their peak for stretches. Professional players have "slumps" as well. She's fine. I worry when a player seems "checked out" or lost. I didn't see any of that.

Reaction Score
I think next time UConn plays SC, they can help Dorka by using the double-team against Boston both when she is shooting and then after that as well when Boston goes after the offensive rebound. This takes away one of SC's key strengths: Boston's offensive rebounding. It leaves someone else open, but outside shooting isn't SC's strength, it's their rebounding. I'll bet Boston will commit a couple of over-the-back fouls (I mean will be called for a couple) out of frustration.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your opinion. Thank God that is all it is..... an opinion. I think a number of people have expressed the Boston effect where fouls just do not get called or charges becomes blocks. Not sure what you wanted Dorka to do, especially after Geno said he was not going to force the rebounding because he did not want his players to commit fouls there.... Oh and again thanks for your opinion on the T. Some of us have a different opinion and think it was a good thing for Geno to do. It might be interesting to see if they start officiating differently when South Carolina plays after the attention brought to light about Boston and how South Carolina play.

Good day Kind Person.

Reaction Score
Can we stop exaggerating the effect of the technical? I think it actually prevented a worse loss and made it possible that we could have actually won. It seemed to me that they played better and harder after the tech. Of course, the points were unfortunate but so was the incessant mauling that Lou was enduring! I think we might have lost by 12 without Geno’s actions. If he deserves criticism at all, it is that he should have done it sooner.

Reaction Score
I broke down one play involving Dorka driving to the basket guarded by Boston with 29 seconds left in the 1st quarter. If you look at this one play the ref missed 2 fouls on Boston, one was a reach in or arm bar using her right arm on Dorka as she drives along the baseline. Then as Dorka goes up for the shot basically wraps Dorka's left hand with her right hand and is awarded a block but Boston never touched the ball. I had to slow the video down to 0.25 to see it. The ref was only a few feet away and should have seen at least one of the fouls. UConn was awarded the ball but Dorka should have been shooting foul shots. Plays like that might discourage her from going into the paint if she knows there will be contact but no call.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your opinion. Thank God that is all it is..... an opinion. I think a number of people have expressed the Boston effect where fouls just do not get called or charges becomes blocks. Not sure what you wanted Dorka to do, especially after Geno said he was not going to force the rebounding because he did not want his players to commit fouls there.... Oh and again thanks for your opinion on the T. Some of us have a different opinion and think it was a good thing for Geno to do. It might be interesting to see if they start officiating differently when South Carolina plays after the attention brought to light about Boston and how South Carolina play.

Good day Kind Person.
I hope so but I doubt a long term effect unless we play them again. The SEC officials are not going to start calling fouls on Boston, the perfect player. Never fouls, never charges, never pushes despite starting out by putting her elbow on your chest or on your shoulder.

Reaction Score
I broke down one play involving Dorka driving to the basket guarded by Boston with 29 seconds left in the 1st quarter. If you look at this one play the ref missed 2 fouls on Boston, one was a reach in or arm bar using her right arm on Dorka as she drives along the baseline. Then as Dorka goes up for the shot basically wraps Dorka's left hand with her right hand and is awarded a block but Boston never touched the ball. I had to slow the video down to 0.25 to see it. The ref was only a few feet away and should have seen at least one of the fouls. UConn was awarded the ball but Dorka should have been shooting foul shots. Plays like that might discourage her from going into the paint if she knows there will be contact but no call.
That's the "Defensive Boston Factor" ;):confused::cool:

Reaction Score
Boston never fouls, never pushes, never shoves. She's the perfect player. It's sickening, unfair and absurd. I feel like she is the villain winner in Pro Wrestling at times. If you ever had officials with courage, she would be in foul trouble very game.

Reaction Score
I wanted to point out all the improvements she's made in so many areas. But when we play SC, victory always seems to come down to who can dominate physically. Our athleticism was overwhelmingly better than theirs, but once SC put 3 big bodies in the paint, the game changed and we lost our edge. This is where we needed Dorka to play like a big.

Having Azzi back will make a huge difference -- a few threes, and the threat of a three can open the floor a bit . Caroline will help too, but she's got the same reluctance to bang inside that Dorka displays. We need to match their physicality with physicality. We were the better team until SC went full bully. They didn't play dirty, just more physical with more bigs.
"our athleticism was overwhelmingly better than theirs..?" Have to disagree with that. Edwards is as athletic as anyone they have and so is Aubrey . But that is not true with anyone else. And we won't mention the bench players at all.

Reaction Score

Good day Kind Person.
You're more than welcome to disagree with my opinion, but please don't make it personal. Snarky comments wrapped in false kindness are still just snarky, but also disingenuous. Thank you.

Reaction Score
what adds insult to injury is her former team started 20-0 I believe, they came down to earth tho but still a player like that gone after so many years and they didn't miss a beat.

Reaction Score
To see the fouls you need to watch the replay that starts at 21:14 on the video that MJL243 posted. The network replay shows the view from the baseline but has to be slowed down to see the illegal contact.

Reaction Score
I thought Dorka played with energy and force. She was on the floor scrambling for loose balls after all. I've got no problem with how she plays. The fact is she forces other teams to account for her, and sometimes they can but at the cost of unleashing Aaliyah, as was the case with SC.

I also loved the moments when SC prevented Nika from bringing the ball up the floor and Dorka or Aaliyah did it. I love watching those two break the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom