Where is the UConn Admin? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where is the UConn Admin?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the few figures in B10 that could vouch for UCONN is Warde Manuel.
He owes us. He got that job based on the UConn brand. Not based on his work with the FB program. He moved the needle alright!

Reaction Score
Everyone complaining should do their part and attend some football games. I'll provide tickets to their first, it will only cost them their time. They will need to be willing to start attending on their own dime after that if they enjoy the product.
I always have a few extra tickets to a few games that never get used! I would love to find people who would take them off my hands at no cost to them. The more people we get into the Rent for a football game the better!

Reaction Score
What would you want them to say? We never had any control in the process. As always, our inclusion is decided by other people who have no connection with UConn. It will always be that way.
Is that true? Sounds like media partners make all the final decisions, Fox didn’t have to pay a full share for two PAC schools, but did. I’m at a loss how the State has done nothing in regards to ESPN. If ESPN wanted UConn in a P5 it would happen quickly.

Reaction Score
He owes us. He got that job based on the UConn brand. Not based on his work with the FB program. He moved the needle alright!
istockphoto-1328395253-612x612.jpg

Certainly the dual basketball championship in 2014 didn't hurt either, but he was responsible for the Diaco Fiasco...so he owes us twice!

Reaction Score
View attachment 90405

Certainly the dual basketball championship in 2014 didn't hurt either, but he was responsible for the Diaco Fiasco...so he owes us twice!
Diaco’s resume included previous year defensive coordinator of the year at Notre Dame. Always said “defense wins championships”. At the time it didn’t seem like an awful hire.

And there was sentiment that PP was a mistake because he was past his prime. A young up and coming DC or OC could be just what was needed.

Reaction Score
Is that true? Sounds like media partners make all the final decisions, Fox didn’t have to pay a full share for two PAC schools, but did. I’m at a loss how the State has done nothing in regards to ESPN. If ESPN wanted UConn in a P5 it would happen quickly.

The problem with ESPN isn't ESPN, it's that it was bought by ABC in 1984 and then Disney bought ABC in 1996, so that local connection isn't that local in terms of where some of the ruthless decisions are made - always with a nod to the motherships.

Having said that, some of the state's tax breaks given to ESPN were ill conceived to say the least and should have had strings attached in terms of their influence in the state. Remember an ESPN themed attraction proposed for "Adriaen's Landing" when the Patriots were to move that area? Obviously nothing materialized, and since then every ESPN Zone themed restaurant has been closed nation wide.

Reaction Score
The problem with ESPN isn't ESPN, it's that it was bought by ABC in 1984 and then Disney bought ABC in 1996, so that local connection isn't that local in terms of where some of the ruthless decisions are made - always with a nod to the motherships.

Having said that, some of the state's tax breaks given to ESPN were ill conceived to say the least and should have had strings attached in terms of their influence in the state. Remember an ESPN themed attraction proposed for "Adriaen's Landing" when the Patriots were to move that area? Obviously nothing materialized, and since then every ESPN Zone themed restaurant has been closed nation wide.

Would still love to see CT pull any tax break revenue and watch them crumble. They are on that path anyways.

Reaction Score
Diaco’s resume included previous year defensive coordinator of the year at Notre Dame. Always said “defense wins championships”. At the time it didn’t seem like an awful hire.
I'll concur, at the time giving the reigns to a young up and coming DC seemed appropriate to counter the aged and ineffective Pasqualoni. Until we realized what a nut job we had at the helm anyway. B12 invite could resurrect Civil conFLiCT, so maybe that's why UCONN has been marginalized so far Head bang.

But in the end, wow Diaco Fiasco only outdone by the awful decision to go Restorred.

Reaction Score
Would still love to see CT pull any tax break revenue and watch them crumble. They are on that path anyways.
I believe DJ Hernandez would agree with you! (as they crumble brick by brick)

Reaction Score
Does anyone whining besides Skibs in this thread buy tickets?

Football in specific? Only about once a season for special fundraiser events and tailgate. Other than that I'm a season ticket holder for hockey since their move to Hockey East in 2014. I attend about 2-3 MBB games at the XL as well.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Weak minded elected officials heard "we will move to Orlando and take a lot of jobs with us" and cowered.

I have zero problem with local governments working with businesses for the benefit of both. Bending over to any and all demands because you believe that it is what your constituency wants and you're too afraid to offer any resistance in negotiation is a different story.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Football in specific? Only about once a season for special fundraiser events and tailgate. Other than that I'm an Season ticket holders holder for hockey since their move to Hockey East in 2014. I attend about 2-3 MBB games at the XL as well.
Thanks for checking in. I didn't have you down as a whiner, tho.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Does anyone whining besides Skibs in this thread buy tickets?
Haven't been whining but I've had season tickets since they opened the Rent. For a little more than the past dozen years I've purchased an additional four (beyond the four pack I've had all along) to try to get others interested.

Reaction Score
Haven't been whining but I've had season tickets since they opened the Rent. For a little more than the past dozen years I've purchased an additional four (beyond the four pack I've had all along) to try to get others interested.
That's awesome, you're clearly a great fan. There's been some really lean years.

Reaction Score
Would be nice to hear something. Not sure what the message should be but nature abhors a (communication) vacuum. Right now UConn once again has a passionate fan base wondering what it’s going to take and wtf does it keep happening?

Best you’re gonna get publicly @ this unsettled point in time is my guess…

… a blurb from Dom Amore’s Sunday Read column:

-> At UConn, the realignment blues

STORRS – UConn AD David Benedict was watching football practice Saturday, his reaction to the earth-shaking conference realignment developments later in a week that began with optimism: “We’re focusing on what we can control, which is to be as successful as we can.”

Well beyond UConn’s control was the 108-year-old Pac 12 conference virtually disintegrating overnight after a lackluster TV deal was revealed, leaving teams other than UConn for the Big 12, though it had long been considered the (big) apple of commissioner Brett Yormark’s eye.

There is much more to come, but events continue to come via a blind curve. Will the ACC expand now? Or will it lose teams like Florida State and Clemson and be compelled to come after UConn? Is the time ripe for a new football arrangement, now that schools like Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State are in a situation similar to what UConn was in 10 years ago? Will UConn, as an independent, be able to upgrade its football schedule with the schools left out in the cold?

Someday, a better way than the NCAA’s wild west, every-school-for-itself approach to conference alignment must be found. In the meantime, it’s worth repeating that when UConn had some control of its destiny, it put basketball in a good place in the Big East, and if the roster of Power Five-level schools keeps increasing, the university is positioned well. <-

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I like the line about the 108 year old conference (it's not true).

The reality is the PAC as we know it has only been around since 1959 (I wish Pudge was still around, he'd post an essay on this). The schools that were the Pac Eight (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington & Washington St) all left the Pacific Coast Conference together and started the new conference as they no longer wanted to be in a conference with Idaho and Montana (and for whatever reason saw that as a better path than trying to kick the two schools out).

Reaction Score
Thanks for checking in. I didn't have you down as a whiner, tho.
Then you need to read my comments about the awkward design of the Tuscano Family Ice Forum in the UConn Hockey thread :D.

But I actually first read that is "winning" - DOH!

Reaction Score

The reality is the PAC as we know it has only been around since 1959 (I wish Pudge was still around, he'd post an essay on this). The schools that were the Pac Eight (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington & Washington St) all left the Pacific Coast Conference together and started the new conference as they no longer wanted to be in a conference with Idaho and Montana (and for whatever reason saw that as a better path than trying to kick the two schools out).
That is how relegation happened in the past. The SEC was formed by some of the schools from the Southern Conference. The ACC was formed from a group of schools from the Southern Conference. The Big 12 was formed when 4 schools left the SWC with 8 teams from the Big 8 to form the Big 12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure what you say at this point. Maybe they can’t say anything. But the fan base is confused. What’s the game plan folks.

But damn, we’ve heard nothing at this point. Not a peep. Proof of life people!

There’s nothing to say.

Eventually, someone will say something like “we can only control what we can control which is being the best darn UConn we can be.”

It’s BS, but what else is there to say?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Administration is in Europe with the basketball team. They were monitoring the situation. Unfortunately, UConn’s cell phone plan doesn’t work in Europe so AD David Benedict missed the invite call. Yormark couldn’t wait around so he went to the next team on the invite list.

They’re in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I doubt the Realignment is finished. If AU, ASU and Utah moves and the Rumors of UW and Oregon to the B1G are true. I think you might see a new conference, especially if the B1G pick off the 2 ACC schools they want. If the B1G get to 20, the SEC is looking at 20, so I think both the PAC and ACC are endangered. I'd love to see a league of Pitt, Wake Forest, Duke, South Carolina, NC State, USF, Georgia State, Cuse, VaTech, App State and UMass. It will be a 12 team league, so I might see if Oregon State, WSU, Cal, Boise State, SDSU would join.

I still hoping that the B12 wants to get to 20, also. I doubt it is finished. Keep the faith...

Reaction Score

That isn’t why the end of the PCC happened. And Montana had already left in 1950 anyhow.

The PCC disbanded over a major slush fund scandal that touched nearly every school in the league at one point or another (in other words “everyone’s AD was helping its students get paid under the table, everybody in the AD knew about it, and everyone kept it a secret from their own academic administrations because they would rightly throw a fit.”)

Back in the 1950s, the NCAA delegated rules sanctioning authority to the conferences (as opposed to the situation now where the NCAA handles it), and the PCC of the day was a tight ship run pretty much entirely by the “stodgy academic” type, who very much insisted it’s student-athletes were students first, and that they were indeed there to “play school”. These various slush fund scandals led to multiple suspensions of nearly every school in the league by the conference (and snitching on other schools was commonplace), and the petty animosities were boiling over. The most petty among them was the assertion that the smaller rural schools would absolutely weaponize the conference’s stodginess against the bigger city members if it meant that they could break through the big city dominance (the small rural half of the league, Montana, WSU, Oregon, OSU and Idaho, combined for only 9 of the conference football championships during its existence from 1915-1959, or 20 percent; both Cal and USC would win more championships individually than that group of 5 did; this feeling was bolstered by the success of Oregon State as repeating champ in 1956 and 1957, when all the big city schools were under some kind of conference sanction).

They basically couldn’t come to any kind of amicable place by 1959, and the league agreed to disband.

The new league that the big city schools founded, the AAWU, didn’t even want WSU or the Oregons at first. Within five years all three were invited back, but they definitely didn’t want them there in the first place.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom