When is it acceptable to replace an inept coaching staff? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When is it acceptable to replace an inept coaching staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Keeler pulled his name out after Delaware blew a 19-point lead in the second half of that season's FCS championship game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
... and used the "hurting recruiting/distraction" as an excuse?

It seems some people actually believe what coaches say. No idea why, buy they do.

Reaction Score
I was ready for Keeler. We ended up with Coach P. It is painful obvious this coaching staff won't get it done on the field. I hope we make Brown the HC soon. I really think Brown can hire a more innovative OC than GD. Actually, any coach can just by throwing a dart against the wall. Just about every game I have seen on TV today had a more exciting offense than us and I have seen many games today. WM needs to do this before the entire program falls apart. There is already this uneasiness with all the realignment crap. We can't keep playing crappy football and hope someone with either invite us or we will magically improve. This staff is not the right fit now or in the future.

Reaction Score
Way too early to judge him but Fordham fans are quite ecstatic about Joe Morehead so far. I wanted RichRod when we got HCPP. I'd go all in for Petrino, but doubt it would ever happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They need and needed when they hired PP, somebody to bring attention, enthusiasm and notoriety. This offense is a disgrace. And it's boring. The defense deserves better.

Reaction Score
It seems some people actually believe what coaches say. No idea why, buy they do.

Damn... Knew I should have included sarcasm meter.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
We can REALLY use Petrino. With Whitmer as QB, who knows what he'd be able to do for us. He is toxic for the "big time" programs for a while. That would mean he would likely have to stay here for a while. Only problem is how well he'd be able to recruit. Would parents of players be alright with him?

Reaction Score
We can REALLY use Petrino. With Whitmer as QB, who knows what he'd be able to do for us. He is toxic for the "big time" programs for a while. That would mean he would likely have to stay here for a while. Only problem is how well he'd be able to recruit. Would parents of players be alright with him?

People always say "we can't get ABC coach". We can get a lot of these guys but the state needs to make the business decision to do what needs to be done for us to be a major program. This means paying a big time coach. I look at it this way: we pay a great coach 3-4 million per year and prosper. At the end of 4 years we are out $12 million but we are a fun, attractive and viable national program. Ticket and merchandise sales rise. If we are included in realignment, it is immediately paid for on that alone.

We are either going to completely fall apart or we are going to go big time like we do in other sports. Hiring someone like Petrino tells the country "wow, UConn is serious about football". We need to show how serious we are in order to get other leagues to welcome us. Right now everyone is concerned about watering down their league. We look like the Pacific Ocean this morning. Louisville looks deadly serious about being a major player in football.

Reaction Score
We'll see when Charlie takes over Arkansas....
We just had this conversation yesterday that when you bring in the young up and comer as coach they leave the Big East in a few years.

My thought is I would rather have that happen then have to hire a retread like we did and have the outcome be what it has been so far.
Right now there is no buzz and we are heading in the wrong direction. Not to mention we have little to no hope of getting into a good conference.

Our coaching situation would be great if it was 1992.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm fine with P. There's no defending Deleone.

It's not Deleone's fault the team wasn't ready to play against WMU. And if P had a problem with the offense he'd be adding input. It's P's team.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's not Deleone's fault the team wasn't ready to play against WMU. And if P had a problem with the offense he'd be adding input. It's P's team.
I hear you, and it's a fine line. It ultimately rolls up to P, yes. I'd personally start with canning the OC and seeing if things improve versus starting entirely over, but I get it.

Reaction Score
I hear you, and it's a fine line. It ultimately rolls up to P, yes. I'd personally start with canning the OC and seeing if things improve versus starting entirely over, but I get it.

If the play calling is lacking its on the coach.

If there is not enough offensive talent its on the coach too.

It's all on P.

Reaction Score
So during the game today, I had the pleasure of talking to a parent and got a little insight into the locker room about P. Of course this is third hand, so I'm sure these aren't direct quotes, but I got the general impression. "They're so old, every time they try to talk to us about something, we don't even understand what they're trying to tell us." "Every story starts out with "when we were at Syracuse..."... like a hundred years ago!!!" The impression about Coach Brown was definitely positive though.
If that opinion carries through the locker room, we are in it worse than we think. Players that don't have faith in the coaches, can't relate at all to them. I will count the days until P is gone.

Wow, that's scary. Really scary. I'm a binoculars guy. I had my binoculars yesterday. During the TV timeouts, you see the O or the D all stand on the edge of the field in huddle? Waiting to get called on the field? You think they're talking or something. They're not. They just stand there. You can see clearly with the binoculars. Coaches with headsets on, P walking around, but no talking. No fire. Just standing. That's both offense and defense. Every now and then you see a coach mouth the words, "let's go." But that's not too often either. There is no passion on this team. You watch the OL come in after a sack, or after a three and out. They sit down. Foley comes over, he's not the oline coach, but he's on the field. GDL is in the booth. Foley comes over, maybe says something, and the guy he's talking to kind of looks away. Not a lot of passion.

Reaction Score
So during the game today, I had the pleasure of talking to a parent and got a little insight into the locker room about P. Of course this is third hand, so I'm sure these aren't direct quotes, but I got the general impression. "They're so old, every time they try to talk to us about something, we don't even understand what they're trying to tell us." "Every story starts out with "when we were at Syracuse..."... like a hundred years ago!!!" The impression about Coach Brown was definitely positive though.
If that opinion carries through the locker room, we are in it worse than we think. Players that don't have faith in the coaches, can't relate at all to them. I will count the days until P is gone.

I guess my comment about the coaches losing the players and the need for leadership and communication wasn't so far off the wall after all. But of course, we're not "in the locker room" so no need to speculate about anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom