OT: - What's your favorite PHONE app? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: What's your favorite PHONE app?

Reaction Score
Bought a 2016 Mazda and Android Auto only works (spottily) if you hack the system. It's the most infuriating thing ever. Your post made me check to see if they made it backwards compatible yet (rumors were they might). And it looks like late this year they will!

Huge downside is it cost $500 to retrofit. WTF. I can see Apple Carplay, as it requires more hardware, but AA only needs software to work.

I want it integrated to my car so bad I can't even tell you, so I might pay up. Still pisses me off. I might try to hack it when it's out.
Works great in my trucks console. When I plug my phone into the console via USB, the trucks console says "loading", and Walla it's ready for verbal commands, Google Maps, make a phone call for me, order a pizza, gives me the answer if I ask it what is the square root 2 or 2 divided by zero.lol

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What do you people like for weather apps? I have the “Weather” app that came with my iPhone and it is too basic and lacking in many ways, and I have the Weather Channel app that is better and more detailed but still not great. I like Weather Underground’s website but when I tried their app it was clumsy and slow and much less useful than their website. So I am looking for better options.

I’m gonna give you a two-pronged approach.

First, the Carrot weather app.

If you get the premium subscription, you can choose between Dark Sky or Wunderground as the weather info source. Gimmicks aside, it’s actually the best weather app out there.

I really like Dark Sky, but their radar maps are too cute to be useful and their alerts are truly hit or miss.

Then, download the official FEMA app.It’s an awful app with one notable exception....it is absolutely dead reliable for weather alerts. It seems tied into the NWS alert system to much greater degree than any other weather app - even corrections to previous alerts are sent out.

During the summer, I add My Lightning Tracker Pro. Nothing better for predicting when a thunderstorm will be in your area.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For the car (CarPlay), I mainly use Overcast (podcasts), Audible (books), and Apple Music. I alternate between Apple Maps (no traffic) and Waze (navigating around traffic). It's useful that Apple Maps gives the next turn/haptic feedback on your watch as you drive.

On my phone, my go-tos are probably:
  • Things 3 (productivity)
  • Spark (email)
  • Nuzzel (news aggregation)
  • Google News
  • News Explorer (RSS)
  • Forecast Bar (I prefer this to Carrot, which is the typical recommendation for an Apple Watch)
  • Habitfy (habit stuff)
  • Tweetbot
  • Apollo (Reddit client)
  • Fantastical (calendar)
  • Notability (love this with the pencil and handwriting recognition)
  • Stocard (digitize all your membership cards/store cards so you don't have a janitor's keychain/Costanza wallet)
  • AnyList (groceries)
Definitely some others that I can't remember at the moment, but those are some that just make things I would do anyway a bit easier. A chunk are iOS only because I've been pretty bought into the ecosystem for a while now.

We have very similar tastes.

I love Spark - I moved most of my office to iPad Pros last year and Readdle software really made most of it possible. We use Spark, PDF Expert, Documents and Scanner Pro - just a remarkable set of software. I’ve talked to them often about feature requests, bugs, etc. Really nice people.

I use Fantastical on the iPad Pro, but I’m using Calendars 5 on the phone right now. That’s another Readdle program. Is it as good as Fantastical? Not really - the month view is a little wonky, but it works better for me than Fantastical.

For notes, I use the stock Notes program which is actually pretty darned good. I also use Drafts because the watch app is so convenient. My handwriting was just too challenging for Notability.

I stopped using Tweetbot when Twitter ruined their API. I do use AnyList - the recipe import feature is genius - but my preference for lists is something called MinimaList. It’s dead-simple.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Your unread emails just sent about 75 gallons of cortisol through my body.

Lol. I crossed 65k not too long ago...

D225A9FD-4082-4529-B5F0-6A40D266E984.png

Reaction Score
We have very similar tastes.

I love Spark - I moved most of my office to iPad Pros last year and Readdle software really made most of it possible. We use Spark, PDF Expert, Documents and Scanner Pro - just a remarkable set of software. I’ve talked to them often about feature requests, bugs, etc. Really nice people.

I use Fantastical on the iPad Pro, but I’m using Calendars 5 on the phone right now. That’s another Readdle program. Is it as good as Fantastical? Not really - the month view is a little wonky, but it works better for me than Fantastical.

For notes, I use the stock Notes program which is actually pretty darned good. I also use Drafts because the watch app is so convenient. My handwriting was just too challenging for Notability.

I stopped using Tweetbot when Twitter ruined their API. I do use AnyList - the recipe import feature is genius - but my preference for lists is something called MinimaList. It’s dead-simple.
I'm a huge Spark fan, too - once they added the desktop client I was all-in. I've always found that inbox zero just makes my life more manageable, and it's super easy and stress free with a quick swipe. I used Airmail for a while, but their search was basically non-functional. Not sure if that's improved, but I need a useful search in an email client.

Fantastical is definitely looking long-in-the-tooth these days, and I think a big update is coming soon (probably explains the deep discounting I've seen lately). My main use for it is still its original use case - natural language input right on my menu bar. But it's definitely not worth the price for MacOS anymore, especially with natural language available on the stock app (and many others) these days. I'm always messing around with different calendar apps.

Not sure how recently you've tried Notability, but I've really been surprised with the handwriting recognition lately. My handwriting is utter trash - such garbage that I've tried every "paperlike" screen protector under the sun to try to get some resistance (they're all awful) - and it's really been good about getting most of my indecipherable nonsense accurate.

At this point the reason I stick with Tweetbot is that I love being able to sync my feed location across devices and I really hate ads. And the new update (I think they're up to five) provides some really nice themes (with like a 99 cent donation). I wouldn't pay for it again given the API issues but since I've already got it I end up using it.

I'll definitely check out MinimaList - hadn't ever heard of it. AnyList has long been my favorite app - just so solid. I always like supporting independent developers who are really responsive and care about their product (the guy from Carrot being a great example). This post just reminds me how much I've spent at the app store. Good lord.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Spark fan, too - once they added the desktop client I was all-in. I've always found that inbox zero just makes my life more manageable, and it's super easy and stress free with a quick swipe. I used Airmail for a while, but their search was basically non-functional. Not sure if that's improved, but I need a useful search in an email client.

Fantastical is definitely looking long-in-the-tooth these days, and I think a big update is coming soon (probably explains the deep discounting I've seen lately). My main use for it is still its original use case - natural language input right on my menu bar. But it's definitely not worth the price for MacOS anymore, especially with natural language available on the stock app (and many others) these days. I'm always messing around with different calendar apps.

Not sure how recently you've tried Notability, but I've really been surprised with the handwriting recognition lately. My handwriting is utter trash - such garbage that I've tried every "paperlike" screen protector under the sun to try to get some resistance (they're all awful) - and it's really been good about getting most of my indecipherable nonsense accurate.

At this point the reason I stick with Tweetbot is that I love being able to sync my feed location across devices and I really hate ads. And the new update (I think they're up to five) provides some really nice themes (with like a 99 cent donation). I wouldn't pay for it again given the API issues but since I've already got it I end up using it.

I'll definitely check out MinimaList - hadn't ever heard of it. AnyList has long been my favorite app - just so solid. I always like supporting independent developers who are really responsive and care about their product (the guy from Carrot being a great example). This post just reminds me how much I've spent at the app store. Good lord.

This is how I justify spending money on apps....I remember a time when I had to plunk a $400 copy of Office on everyone’s desk. With that background, the fact that I’ve probably paid for 30 weather apps seems like a rounding error. Plus, I would rather pay for an app that I love than endure a free app that I don’t. And I don’t want to see an ad in an app....ever.

I’m sure iNotability has gotten a lot better, but my handwriting is so bad. So, so bad.

I’ve set up my work flow so that I rarely ever have to take a pen or even the Apple Pencil in my hand. I don’t even sign contracts or proposals anymore - just stamp ‘em in PDF Expert and send them back out in Spark.

I have two iPad Pros. At meetings, the larger one is in split screen with an app called Agenda on one side and usually Excel on the other side. Agenda is what it sounds like - it’s the meeting agenda. The smaller iPad Pro is usually open in Notes, but if what we’re doing is more complex and I have to import anything into my meeting notes, I’ll use Drafts. Drafts is a Swiss-Army knife of a text editor. It’s almost overkill.

Inbox zero is critical. No idea how these people exist staring at red badges.

1-E3-CAD65-6407-4-EEA-83-A2-4-E7148-FD90-FD.png

Reaction Score
This is how I justify spending money on apps....I remember a time when I had to plunk a $400 copy of Office on everyone’s desk. With that background, the fact that I’ve probably paid for 30 weather apps seems like a rounding error. Plus, I would rather pay for an app that I love than endure a free app that I don’t. And I don’t want to see an ad in an app....ever.

I’m sure iNotability has gotten a lot better, but my handwriting is so bad. So, so bad.

I’ve set up my work flow so that I rarely ever have to take a pen or even the Apple Pencil in my hand. I don’t even sign contracts or proposals anymore - just stamp ‘em in PDF Expert and send them back out in Spark.

I have two iPad Pros. At meetings, the larger one is in split screen with an app called Agenda on one side and usually Excel on the other side. Agenda is what it sounds like - it’s the meeting agenda. The smaller iPad Pro is usually open in Notes, but if what we’re doing is more complex and I have to import anything into my meeting notes, I’ll use Drafts. Drafts is a Swiss-Army knife of a text editor. It’s almost overkill.

Inbox zero is critical. No idea how these people exist staring at red badges.

1-E3-CAD65-6407-4-EEA-83-A2-4-E7148-FD90-FD.png
Tons of good stuff right there. I can't believe I missed 1Password, too. Something like LastPass is functional, but 1Password is just next level. The best feature of iOS 12, to me, is the password autofill option for third parties.

And you're totally right about PDF Expert - what a great app. Readdle just pumps out some great stuff on a regular basis. If you happen to work with multiple PDFs and have to synthesize ideas from all of them (I have to do this in my work), I can't recommend LiquidText enough. It's really expensive, but allows you to create relationships of ideas, etc. among any number of documents with an infinite scroll notepad to the right of the doc. Huge game-changer for the work that I have to do.

One wildcard I'd throw out there is this app called Raindrop. It's the best read-it-later app around. By far. It has every function imaginable and is dead simple to use. For me, something like Pocket is a non-starter because it doesn't allow you to edit titles and descriptions. I save a bunch of PDFs with weird URLs and metadata, and there's absolutely no chance I'll be able to find it a month or two later when I see a file with a 75-digit/letter combination name. Raindrop makes everything incredibly easy to edit (much cleaner than Instapaper). The catch - and it is a big catch - is that it is fully developed and updated by a super sketchy Russian guy who might possibly be shaving in a decade. So...I wouldn't go uploading a social security number any time soon. And it also goes through these phases where it looks to be abandonware until just when you're about to give up Vlad's nephew drops a killer update out of nowhere (speaking of which, he needs to fix the Safari add-on). But it really just can't be beat, if quickly saving and editing links/etc. across devices is something you do regularly.

Reaction Score

View attachment 35613
I need an IV of ativan just looking at that home screen.

In a case like this (even looking at your MapMyRun), is there a value at all to having notifications turned on for those? My goal with these devices is, in many respects, just to make things simpler on myself. Hell, I get annoyed when news apps (NYT, AP) send me a watch notification with a promotion for an article that I clearly can't read on my watch even when I have their watch app installed.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
For anyone who runs or bikes, Strava is great.

My overall favorite app is spotify. I also religiously check the Yelp app when I'm anywhere unfamiliar.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I need an IV of ativan just looking at that home screen.

In a case like this (even looking at your MapMyRun), is there a value at all to having notifications turned on for those?

It’s interesting — I don’t see it from a perspective of utility at all. I haven’t even used MapMyRun in like, 2 years. I still have apps installed that no longer work with iOS 11.

I happily co-exist with them, and I think I derive some vague comfort from their untidiness. I don’t want to get too cray-cray, but I really don’t much believe in trying to “be in control” of too much in my life. I roll with most things, and if some app I never open wants to toss me 13 notifications, that’s fine.

I will eventually check the texts. The phone calls and emails are just good foundations for continued building :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How MANY apps are on your phone?

I have >400 and suspect I could let go of a few...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

View attachment 35613
OurGroceries is fantastic.

My Wife and I share seven lists, including both our To-Dos.

The other apps I use all the time are:
Youtube - Of course, but it uses a lot of data.
Reddit - Out of town NFL games.
WAZE- Love the crowd sourcing on speed traps and road hazards.
Wunderground - I used to use accuweather. Both are very good free weather apps.
The general Samsung calendar aggregator- It compiles and combines all of my calendars, except my College and Pro sports calendar.
Samsung Pay - I love it when a clerk tells me it doesn't work. No. Apple Pay doesn't work. Samsung works pretty much anywhere except pay-at-the-pump gas stations and where the Point of Service terminal is Apple-based (i.e. Tim's Bistro in Colchester. I love Tim's, but I normally pay cash there anyway).
Hulu, Netflix, and the Xfinity app - Set the DVR at home, watch it anywhere. They took away the remote DVR and they only make certain (though plentiful) channels available "On The Go."
Pool Math - Used in the Summer. Tracks and advises the exact amount of bleach to keep pool water clean and clear. There is a paid version, but I don't need historic reports.
DD Perks - I hate Starbucks and the On The Go feature allows me to cut the order line.
Cars.com/CarGurus- I'm in the market for a new 4Runner. I'll probably delete them once I purchase one.
Google Home - Must have for the ChromeCast
Roku - I lost misplaced my ChromeCast and only found it a few weeks ago. Got a Roku for $5.
White Noise Lite - Fantastic for my kids when they were young and now when we travel.
Slacker Radio - Only because I've had it for years.
FatSecret - Food tracking, calorie counting, weight loss, and recipes

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Used to be like that, but I've been pairing down lately. I'm at just under 100 right now. After Android went to Oreo, I went nuts and uninstalled those that wouldn't target it.

Reaction Score
I travel a lot and love Aroundme - let's you know what restaurants, hospitals, gas stations, school lines of things and gives you directions, website, etc. Great when you'rein a new place

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Used to be like that, but I've been pairing down lately. I'm at just under 100 right now. After Android went to Oreo, I went nuts and uninstalled those that wouldn't target it.

The last time I saw you, I believe your phone had one app.

Dial.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
good to see the phone nerds use overcast. every other podcast app sucks outloud

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OurGroceries is fantastic.

My Wife and I share seven lists, including both our To-Dos.

The other apps I use all the time are:
Youtube - Of course, but it uses a lot of data.
Reddit - Out of town NFL games.
WAZE- Love the crowd sourcing on speed traps and road hazards.
Wunderground - I used to use accuweather. Both are very good free weather apps.
The general Samsung calendar aggregator- It compiles and combines all of my calendars, except my College and Pro sports calendar.
Samsung Pay - I love it when a clerk tells me it doesn't work. No. Apple Pay doesn't work. Samsung works pretty much anywhere except pay-at-the-pump gas stations and where the Point of Service terminal is Apple-based (i.e. Tim's Bistro in Colchester. I love Tim's, but I normally pay cash there anyway).
Hulu, Netflix, and the Xfinity app - Set the DVR at home, watch it anywhere. They took away the remote DVR and they only make certain (though plentiful) channels available "On The Go."
Pool Math - Used in the Summer. Tracks and advises the exact amount of bleach to keep pool water clean and clear. There is a paid version, but I don't need historic reports.
DD Perks - I hate Starbucks and the On The Go feature allows me to cut the order line.
Cars.com/CarGurus- I'm in the market for a new 4Runner. I'll probably delete them once I purchase one.
Google Home - Must have for the ChromeCast
Roku - I lost misplaced my ChromeCast and only found it a few weeks ago. Got a Roku for $5.
White Noise Lite - Fantastic for my kids when they were young and now when we travel.
Slacker Radio - Only because I've had it for years.
FatSecret - Food tracking, calorie counting, weight loss, and recipes

if you are buying a new car use Truecar.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Spark - Two versions. One for personal email and their beta version for work.
Carrot Weather - Psychotic weather app. See picture.
Halide - It’s a camera app that does amazing things with RAW photos.
Shortcuts - New favorite app. Endless tinkering.
Calendars 5
MinimaList
Facebook
Instagram - So I can stalk my daughter.
Twitter
Overcast - Podcasts
Audible - Bookcasts
Flipboard - News
Swarm - Social app by FourSquare that no one uses, but makes a decent trip journal app.
Bonus Plus - Our supermarket’s app.
Amazon - Large retailer that sells stuff and launches rockets.
SchoolTool - Daughter’s school told me I needed it.
OnDeck - Like SchoolTool, but my daughter’s swim team told me I needed it.
MeetMobile - Race results for said swim team.
Nest - So I can override my wife when she sets the thermostats at 105 degrees.
AeroPress Timer - Recipes for making coffee with an AeroPress.
Shazam
OpenTable
AnyList - Grocery/Recipe/list maker. More functional than Paprika.
Google Voice - The phone number I give people/companies I don’t want to talk to.
ESPN
Feedly - RSS reader.
Stash - Read-it-later service.
FlightRadar - Our house is on the glide path for a few airports. Like to see where the planes are from.
FEMA - Weather alerts. (You need this.)
FireFox Focus
Garmin Connect - It connects my Garmin, funny enough.
HeartWatch - Heart rate app for the Apple Watch.
Optimum - Our cable company.
Remote - AppleTV remote.
YouTube
Authy - Generates codes for two-factor authentication for Dropbox, Google, etc.
USPS Mobile
FAST - Netflix app that tests your internet connection speed
1Blocker X - Ad blocker.
Netgear Genie - Handles the home wifi.
Hue - Lets me screw with the lightbulbs in the guest room when the inlaws visit
Home - Apple app that handles the lights and switches and garage door and crap.

Retouch, Snapseed, PhotoScan, Unspash, Google Photos, Focus, Clips - Photo editing, etc.

Skiplagged, Hotel Tonight, Skyscanner, Hopper, Hitlist - Airfare/hotel tracking apps.

Word, Excel, Books, Prizmo Go, Agenda, Drafts, Files, Documents, PDF Expert, Scanner Pro, PDF Optim - Boring, but necessary work apps.

AAA - I have the platinum plan. They will help me bury a body if I want.

A49-F2519-A67-A-4686-B4-F4-FE3-CD6-BF9563.png

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't have a favorite, but I do have a least favorite. I despise Snapchat.

Reactions: TKs

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The last time I saw you, I believe your phone had one app.

Dial.

Ha, thinking about it, was probably a flip. That's how I did all my best deals.

Yes, I was late to the smart phone party.

Reaction Score
Another solid app is WideProtect. It’s like $2.99 and is the only good call blocker that I’ve found that is consistent. I used to get hammered with spoofed numbers but this app lets you block the first N digits of a phone number (I typically used the first six) and it actually works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom