What will the story be 30 years from now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What will the story be 30 years from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Further to my last point, even if Rutgers doesn't deliver the cable revenue anticipated (which, to be clear, Rutgers *is* doing that right now for the BTN, so that expansion is currently a financial success), at the very worst, it's a NYC market outpost for Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and other Big Ten schools. The NYC market may never be a great college sports market, but it's so large overall that it's looked upon the same way as why pro sports leagues insist upon having teams in places like Miami and Phoenix despite having horrible pro sports fans and bad attendance. At a bare minimum, those places provide a local outlet for those leagues for all of the NYC/Chicago/Boston/Philly transplants, so there's still some baseline value to those locations. Whether those Sun Belt teams have a good local fan base is almost besides the point - those markets are just too big to ignore in the long-term.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What will the news be 30 years from now?

NCAA terminates it's 30 year old investigation of UNC due to the fact that it happened 30 years ago and we should all let bygones be bygones.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I'll be 68 years old. The story will be, "Can [Husky25] make it through the night with only 2 trips to the bathroom."

Cut to me dowsed in sweat, weeping, and yelling into the mic, "After last night, I just knew it was possible!! I can do anything with my Lord and Savior by my side!! He really gets all the credit for that last hour!! YO, [HUSKYGAL25]!!!! WE DID IT (Now excuse me, Arman Keteyian, Jr. I gotta go take a leak)!!!

CL82

Reaction Score

I'll be 68 years old. The story will be, "Can [Husky25] make it through the night with only 2 trips to the bathroom."
That would depend on how many beers you'd have had wouldn't it?

Reaction Score
LOL guys.

I AM 68. A three trip night is heaven.

Stuff does change....look at where we were pre 1984. The NCAA regulated TV broadcasting of football games until that 1984 Supreme Court decision. Since that decision, the number of games televised has zoomed upward, the amounts of money involved have multiplied many fold....and studies have stated that the move ultimately favored "power football" teams.

Where were we in 1984?

BYU was the national champ...without playing a final AP ranked teams (they beat a five loss Michigan in the bowl to give the Wolverines their 6th loss).

Washington finished #2 and Boston College finished #5 and no SEC team finished in the Top 10....

Reaction Score
Folks think I'm crazy when I mention this, but I do think football could be in big trouble. The concussion is huge and no helmet will take away that risk to any significant degree.

CL82

Reaction Score
Folks think I'm crazy when I mention this, but I do think football could be in big trouble. The concussion is huge and no helmet will take away that risk to any significant degree.
I know it's not what you meant, but I agree that "no helmet will take away that risk to (a) significant degree." Go back to soft helmets so that players get tactile feedback from risky behavior. Maybe then we see kids actually go back to proper (wrap em up and knock em down) technique intead of making themselves a human projectile.

Reaction Score
I know it's not what you meant, but I agree that "no helmet will take away that risk to (a) significant degree." Go back to soft helmets so that players get tactile feedback from risky behavior. Maybe then we see kids actually go back to proper (wrap em up and knock em down) technique intead of making themselves a human projectile.

If you want to maintain the safety of a hard shell helmet but incentivize safer behavior just remove the face mask. It may not eliminate all aggressive behavior but I have to believe it would result a very significant change in tackling behavior.

Reaction Score
They have concussions in hockey, too. Think hockey is going to die? Really? People used to die playing football. It was almost outlawed. Where is it now in popularity?

Reaction Score
I think it's well within the realm of possibility that in the next couple of decades US football looks very much like rugby. No hard head gear with similar tackling restrictions.

Knowing what I know today, I would have discouraged my son from playing HS football and would have ignored the youth football tryouts in favor of soccer or something else......and I don't care for soccer. I doubt I am the only parent that feels this way.

Reaction Score
What will the news be 30 years from now?

NCAA terminates it's 30 year old investigation of UNC due to the fact that it happened 30 years ago and we should all let bygones be bygones.

Don't forget the 5 year tournament/bowl ban for Uconn because, well, someone has got to pay for what happened.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you want to maintain the safety of a hard shell helmet but incentivize safer behavior just remove the face mask. It may not eliminate all aggressive behavior but I have to believe it would result a very significant change in tackling behavior.
I've heard that too and I think it is a step in the right direction. But, and I'm not an MD, I think concussions are more typically a result of sudden deceleration rather than skull trauma. The hard shell maybe less important that one would think a first glance.

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't forget the 5 year tournament/bowl ban for Uconn because, well, someone has got to pay for what happened.
Goes without saying.

Reaction Score
When watching Ali/Frazier/Foreman who would have thought 30-40 years later boxing would lose the popularity (ratings). It was the greedy promoters (see P5 commissioners) that destroyed the sport

Boxing hasn't lost popularity. It has lost star power. People often say Boxing is dead, yet Mayweather or Pac-Man dominate pay-per-view sales. Give the public a fighter or 3 they car about and the money flows. Boxing s problem is the athletes who could fill that role are playing football or basketball.

Projecting the future of college sports is more about what television will be 30 years from now. I agree with Frank. However, I believe television as we know it is dying. The idea of have 5 or 6 people in a room watching one TV us virtually on life support now. Can you imagine what "watching something" will look like in 2045?

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it's well within the realm of possibility that in the next couple of decades US football looks very much like rugby. No hard head gear with similar tackling restrictions.

Knowing what I know today, I would have discouraged my son from playing HS football and would have ignored the youth football tryouts in favor of soccer or something else.and I don't care for soccer. I doubt I am the only parent that feels this way.
After becoming involved with soccer for my kids, I've come to appreciate the game to the point that I watch games now without a rooting interest. There's a lot of subtlety to it that I think is lost on casual fans.

I agree that football could be tweaked a bit but sport is inherently risky. My son has been drilled in the head with a soccer ball and plunked on the helmet in baseball plenty of times. He had a teammate who maxed out on concussions. (Great kid btw. He was a good goalie and just hysterical when he was the bench. With sports out the picture, he drifted into theater and ended up doing a few Broadway plays while in HS. He's now attending Harvard.) My daughter's HS BBall team has a kid who is one concussion away from shutting down and another whose missing two weeks due to a concussion (and there probably had been more than one.)

pj

Reaction Score
Soccer players get brain injuries from heading the ball. It's not unique to football.

Reaction Score
The ACC was more interesting before the first raid. The Big East was great at 16... but was better at 9. Nebraska gets paid in the Big 10 - but they are more interesting playing Oklahoma and Colorado than they are playing Minnesota and Michigan State.

The BTN rakes in cash today, but in the long term does Maryland really make any sense playing Iowa instead of Virginia.

Does the P5 cash grab work out
in the end if the cable model collapses? Why would Michigan want Rutgers in their league if the Big Ten needs develop a direct to consumer model?

I love the idea of conference contraction. 14 or more schools per conference is just too diluted. I'd love to see (30 years from now if I'm alive), the contraction of the B1G, ACC and SEC back down to 12 teams or fewer. It would be great to see a new 10-team Eastern Conference created with some ACC schools, AAC schools, WVU and some B1G schools. I'd like to see a revised Big XII similar to today's minus WVU. I'd also like to see the MWC on equal footing with the other P5s.

30 years seems like a long time, but it wouldn't surprise me to see contraction.

Reaction Score
Soccer players get brain injuries from heading the ball. It's not unique to football.
Waaay OT: For obvious reasons, kids and adults get head injuries, brain included, more frequently due to knocking heads or hitting elbows, shoulders, knees, or even feet than from balls.

pj

Reaction Score
The key to breaking cable is to have competing providers of Internet access. As long as there's a huge capital cost to wiring up homes so that only one provider is there, and as long as they are free to control product and price (this is what Net Neutrality was about, stripping them of this freedom), they will bundle content because that is the revenue-maximizing approach, and regulators will let them since they need the revenue to pay for the capital costs.

But if there is cheap internet access, and this was the point of Google WiFi, then consumers can be pulled away with cheaper a la carte models.

So you're really making predictions about the economics of internet access when you predict an end to bundling which is what makes cable networks so lucrative.

Maybe in 30 years the Internet infrastructure will be cheap, but that's not obvious.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
One of our best hopes for conference realignment is that an enemy nation launches an EMP strike over the contintental United States, thus destroying the power grid and all electronics. Then and only then will college sports resort to regional conferences, where basketball will be played outside and teams will travel via horse-drawn carriage or steamboat.

Imagine a conference with UConn, BC, Providence, Syracuse, St. Johns, Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Penn State. All accessible by carriage. Games played on Saturdays in the night. Cold, but doable.

Reaction Score
One of our best hopes for conference realignment is that an enemy nation launches an EMP strike over the contintental United States, thus destroying the power grid and all electronics. Then and only then will college sports resort to regional conferences, where basketball will be played outside and teams will travel via horse-drawn carriage or steamboat.

Imagine a conference with UConn, BC, Providence, Syracuse, St. Johns, Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Penn State. All accessible by carriage. Games played on Saturdays in the night. Cold, but doable.

Georgetown and Maryland might be too far away. Philly, State College and Syracuse will be special multi-day trips with stops for supplies in Trenton or Albany depending which direction you are traveling. Maybe replace GTown and UMCP with Army and Rutgers.

Some other regional conferences along the east coast when the EMP strike occurs....

UF, Miami, USF, UCF, FSU, Fla Int, Fla Atlantic, UGa, GT and Ga Southern

Clemson, USC-e, Furman, ECU, App St, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake and UNC Charlotte

ODU, UVa, VT, JMU, WVU, Marshall, UMCP, Navy, Temple and Pitt

All the football teams will wear leather helmets, basketball will get rid of the shot clock and 3-point line and the under-hand free throw will be back. It's difficult to type all of this with my straight-jacket.

Reaction Score
We could go back to 1899...where a football team from the south had the greatest road trip on the records...

The "Iron Men" , as they became known, were one of the south's strongest football programs and won the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship...12-0.

The Iron Men (with just 13 players) went on a six day road trip by train and shut out Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss...and on the 7th day, they rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom