What should we expect from Facey going forward? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What should we expect from Facey going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

The vast majority of high-major, Division 1 college basketball players "work really hard" on their games in the summer...regardless of whether they stay on campus or go home.
Calhoun would tell you otherwise. That's what set certain UConn players apart - Ray Allen / Ben Gordon etc. and frankly not all UConn players

C

Chief00

Thank god we have your inside access for scoops like this. Both the weight room and the gym? Good heavens. Let's not let word get out, other teams might start copying this approach.
Thank god we have your inside access for scoops like this. Both the weight room and the gym? Good heavens. Let's not let word get out, other teams might start copying this approach.

Mid way through the article Tom Brady explains the importance of practice, putting hard work in and how it translates in the game. For those who never played a sport, I think this will help you understand better, quite frankly.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/...n-their-butts-probably-more-than-their-wives/

Reaction Score
Just like how we were in trouble last year?
No, not like last year, because last year, we had Daniels and Giffey, who could both play the 4 without foul problems, and Olander, who was able to provide depth at the 4 and 5. This doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Reaction Score
As @Silk31 points out, we did try to go after some 5th year front court players but it didn't work out.

My point is people are making projections based on a handful of individual plays and using rate stats that don't mean much over such a small sample.

Another thing - I can't imagine Brimah and Phil being on the floor together so much as it kills spacing but I don't see much of an alternative.

I just think some people may be setting the bar too high. He could exceed expectations but nobody is gathering that based on 3 jumpers. As a sophomore Daniels averaged 12/5 for example. To jump from a non factor to 8/6 would require a huge leap.

"..." in minutes, not in performance. This kid can move on the court, sees the ball off the rim, can shoot/finish. He needs to learn when at defensive disadvantage it's often ok to just make the offensive guy shoot over you and look for the rebound and on help side defense get there a bit sooner.

C

Chief00

Getting stronger - which was Facey's primarily barrier to more playing time last season along with the more experienced Griffey and Daniels being ahead of him - has been seriously addressed this summer from what I have been told. Therefore, I see Facey getting lots of time. The intangible he has is he is quick to the ball on rebounds. You can't teach that. He is a much better shooter than the average fan or poster knows.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In addition to his physical attributes, Facey has a year of experience of being with the team. That's one more year of learning Ollie's system, becoming comfortable playing ball alongside his teammates, and understanding both his and his teammates' strengths and weaknesses than Lubin (his main competition for minutes) has. For the most part, fitting into a team's system occurs independently of overall talent. Lubin may be a tank, but I'm confident that whatever Ollie has in mind for him will require a good deal of work and adjustment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Getting stronger - which was Facey's primarily barrier to more playing time last season along with the more experienced Griffey and Daniels being ahead of him - has been seriously addressed this summer from what I have been told. Therefore, I see Facey getting lots of time. The intangible he has is he is quick to the ball on rebounds. You can't teach that. He is a much better shooter than the average fan or poster knows.

Yes, but my recollection is that KO said his defense determines his minutes straight up. That lack of strength and knowledge/experience meant he couldn't guard most decent PFs. That meant he couldn't see big minutes despite his above average rebounding and decent offensive skills. If he's strong enough and has learned enough not to get pushed under the basket and can avoid fouling on aggressive moves, he'll play a lot.

I expect KO to use situational lineups all year. He can go big/strong quite easily, he can put a very fast team on the floor, he can put a team loaded with shooters on the floor, he can play 3 guards with Purvis at the 3 and crush anybody who presses us or press them. Increasingly, KO is bringing an NBA style in that regard, and will look to exploit match-ups as he sees them. I think a lot of college coaches play lip service to the idea, but end up playing 7 guys the same minutes every game.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Highlight videos always make you feel better.

I expect good things from this kid. He will be a safe player out there. He's got a great group of guys both coaches and players to put him in the best position to succeed.

Reaction Score
No, not like last year, because last year, we had Daniels and Giffey, who could both play the 4 without foul problems, and Olander, who was able to provide depth at the 4 and 5. This doesn't seem that complicated to me.

As currently constructed, the front court on this team isn't asked to do a whole lot, and certainly isn't a focal point. With Boatright and Purvis we'll have arguably the best backcourt in the country. It seems silly to me to fret over the overall success of the team based on whether not Kentan Facey can stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
As currently constructed, the front court on this team isn't asked to do a whole lot, and certainly isn't a focal point. With Boatright and Purvis we'll have arguably the best backcourt in the country. It seems silly to me to fret over the overall success of the team based on whether not Kentan Facey can stay out of foul trouble.
They aren't asked to do much except rebound and defend, but if they foul as much as they did last year, they won't be able to stay on the court.

C

Chief00

Got other things going on - and don't have the time or given it the thought yet - but I will indeed break down this year's front court in September.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
Got other things going on - and don't have the time or given it the thought yet - but I will indeed break down this year's front court in September.

I'm counting the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32