What should we expect from Facey going forward? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What should we expect from Facey going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Facey rebounded well but it was a very small sample so even rebounding is a question mark. What I like about him is his athleticism and offensive potential. He will be a factor for us at some point even if it isn't next season.
We lost a lot of scoring on a team that was offensively challenged at times so Hamilton and others are going to have to make up the difference. Cassels and Lubin will be key next season.

Reaction Score
His rate stats, especially his rebounding, were very strong. For Facey, it's really just a matter of getting his fouls under control. I honestly have almost no idea what to expect from him next season. He could continue to struggle with foul trouble, and largely be a non-factor, or he could get the fouls down to the point where he could consistently play 25-28 minutes/game and be a major impact player, even getting 5-10 double-doubles over the course of the season.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
First time Boneyard poster.

Facey is one of the most intriguing players to watch for our team next season. He should have the starting 4 position sewn up and showed glimpses in limited run a year ago. He wasn't NY Gatorade POY for nothing his senior year of HS in which he averaged 14.5 PPG, 12.2 RPG & 3.8 BPG. With our guard oriented team we won't be asking him to do much scoring so his main focus and contributions should be hitting those boards, blocking shots and making hustle plays. Anything else on top of that will be an added bonus

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What impressed me the most about Facey (when he was able to get in games) was his tenacity. Seeing a UCONN big who isn't afraid to get down and dirty in the post and muscle it out for rebounds is something I've missed the past few years. Couple that with dynamic athleticism, and foul issues aside I think he is in the mix for a breakout season defensively. I wouldn't be too upset if his offensive game took longer to develop seeing as it seems that area will be focused around our guards next year.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to expect from Facey - he's already 21, so perhaps there's not as much ceiling as there would be if he were an 18-year old rising soph.

On the flip side, he could have a James Sutherland-type career - Sutherland played under a hundred minutes as a freshman and then over a thousand as a senior. KF will be entering only his sixth year of competitive basketball and he is 6'9", so perhaps we have a late bloomer here.

But, basically, I dunno.
I echo the same thoughts. Other than his size, athleticism and a snap-shot of his skills based on very little PT last season, he's a big mystery. He seemed to show some solid rebounding instincts. He actually has very solid form on his jump-shoot. Just not sure how efficient he'll be if he were to play more and get a few shots each game. It's extremely hard for any player to perform on offense when they're only getting a handful of minutes every few games.

Taking a stab at the question, let me put in in reference to the rest of cast or characters who will man the 4 & 5. Between Brimah, Nolan, Facey & Lubin, you have 4 players who are likely going to struggle to stay out of foul trouble. You also have Hamilton, who at 6-6 with long arms could steal you some minutes at the 4 if needed, similar to how they used Daniels last season. I realize that DD was a very long wing and Hamilton is not nearly as tall and long, but often KO puts the best available 5 on the floor and I would not be shocked if we see DHam at the 4 on occasion.

With that said, I see KO switching Brimah and Nolan at the 5 and possibly playing Nolan next to Brimah at the 4 late in games once it's clear that there's a low risk of both fouling out. Now this is assuming that Brimah is our best 5 and Nolan is the best 4 of the lot.

I see Facey and Lubin sharing the majority of the workload at the 4. As to who starts and/or plays more will likely be based on who of those two can manage to stay out of early foul trouble as long as both can hold their own at the 4. If either one is a turn-over looking-to-happen, then that player will likely get PT only as needed till they prove they can play without being a liability.

I have a feeling this coming season both Facey and Lubin will be productive but inconsistent at the 4. Lubin has a chance to be a physical beast on the glass on both ends of the floor and a solid defender if KO can get his motor running at a high level when he's on the floor. I think Facey can do the same as well if he's added a little more muscle and KO can get him to be more assertive and confident when on the floor, which should happen if he gets regular PT this coming season. Based on what little we saw of Facey and some clips of Lubin, is that both actually can shot midrange Js. I have a feeling that both will be solid knocking down elbow Js by the end of the season if KO plays both of them often.

What I think will be the biggest challenge for both is handling the high screen, which takes time to develop the skills, instincts and chemistry with teammates to master. Last season the team was okay with this most of the season, but became outstanding in the NCAAs, allowing few teams to break our perimeter D with any sustained success. My guess is that whoever between these two, and you can throw in Nolan late in games, who can stay out of foul trouble, defend and rebound best will get the bigger PT piece of the pie.

I might be very wrong on this, but I think it's going to play out a 4&5 by committee type scenario for most of next season. Now if Facey develops a solid handle, can defend wings which I think he has the athleticism to do, and develop some reliable offensive wing skills, I can see him getting PT at the 3 as well in his junior and/or senior seasons. That's a big if, and if KO keeps on bringing in skilled 3s (like Hamilton) and 4s, Facey will have his work cut out for him to carve out PT at either position unless he shows some breakout skills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think I have a much more positive view of Facey than many on this board. To me there are two questions:

1. Why didn't he play more? That's a concern, right?
I don't think so. Basically, we played small all year, with our 4 position manned by Daniels/Giffey and our 5 manned by a defensive-anchor big. Daniels/Giffey were so good at what they respectively did that carving out another roll at that spot probably would have been disruptive and redundant. And Facey just isn't big enough or on the same level as a help defender to act as the central rim protector. So IMO, given the aims of a very experienced team, he just got caught in the shuffle.

2. What has he shown?
Despite limited minutes, he has shown some real skill on both ends. He has finished difficult shots near the rim, he has canned some long 3's. He has handled the ball a bit. He appears to have great instincts on the boards, and has sent a few shots into the 3rd row.

So lets do the Pro's/Minuses based on what I have seen.

Pro
Good Finisher/body control
Solid Jumper/Good form
High Rebound rate/instincts
Aggressiveness

Con
High fouling rate
Defensive positioning/strength

Conclusion: I think skill-wise, he is going to be productive. He rebounds, he can finish, and he can shoot it. And those are the things you like to see, and are hardest to develop. The instincts are there. His weaknesses will improve with work. The fouling rate does not concern me at all, because he was never playing under any expectation of putting 20-30 minutes into a game, so it didn't matter if he picked up a couple. As far as defensive positioning you have to believe that is just a matter or reps and coaching. His lack of strength is concerning for 1:1 situations, but is something shared by each of our bigs this side of Lubin.

Reaction Score
I think Facey will be a 8ppg, 6 rpg, and 1.5 bpg guy with solid defense (I know he struggled with this last year, but I think with his length, a year of college level experience, and good coaching he can be an asset on D). I think that's fair.

pj

Reaction Score
Facey's limited minutes at UConn were far more impressive than Lubin's high school video. With Facey having a year in the system learning defense and bulking up, I'd be amazed if Lubin could get ahead of Facey. Lubin strikes me as a development project who is going to have to master a role before he gets much playing time.

We know Phil Nolan can play the 4, in fact he's better there than at the 5, so Phil is Facey's main competition for time. We really have 3 players to cover 2 positions, with Nolan getting minutes at both. If Brimah can give 30 minutes without foul trouble, then it wouldn't be a surprise to see Nolan getting 30 also leaving only 20 for Facey. But I think it's more likely Brimah is limited to 25 minutes due to foul trouble or matchup issues, Facey wins the starting job and gets 25-30 minutes, and Nolan gets 25-30 split between the two positions. (Deduct ~10 minutes per game from these numbers because we will play small lineups with only one big on the floor.)

I'm not too concerned about numbers, if the perimeter players score effectively that will limit Facey's numbers, the key is his ability to defend and rebound.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I like Facey and choose to remain optimistic but we need a dose of reality on some points here.

Way too much has been drawn from his three 3 pointers of which he made 2.

Rate stats man very little when compiled over 123 minutes over the course of the season.

It seems that he's athletic enough to play on this level, but other than that it's tough to make conclusions or even hint at anything else based on the fact he played so little.

I've seen a few projections for 8/6 type production - people need to realize that Brimah and Phil COMBINED averaged 7/5 last season. If Facey comes near that I'd be thrilled.

pj

Reaction Score
"A dose of reality" - if Facey weren't ready to be a major contributor, KO would have gone to the mat for one of the 5th year transfers (considering we have 3 open scholarships). He didn't. He seems very comfortable with what he has at the 4/5, and that means he's very comfortable with a Facey/Nolan/Brimah trio.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
"A dose of reality" - if Facey weren't ready to be a major contributor, KO would have gone to the mat for one of the 5th year transfers (considering we have 3 open scholarships). He didn't. He seems very comfortable with what he has at the 4/5, and that means he's very comfortable with a Facey/Nolan/Brimah trio.

Well KO did try to bring on Calvin Godfrey (Southern) and Darius Leonard (Campbell) as immediately eligible frontcourt transfers so it's not like he didn't explore his options. I feel like I'm in the minority being that I'm fine with our frontcourt as is with Brimah, Nolan, Facey & Lubin.

We will ask the most from Brimah in terms of development but the others are expected to be role players for this season, with Facey obviously capable of bringing more to the table if he's up for the challenge. We know what Nolan is at this point and Lubin is at the very least a big body who can bang down low, grab boards and use up some fouls

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

As @Silk31 points out, we did try to go after some 5th year front court players but it didn't work out.

My point is people are making projections based on a handful of individual plays and using rate stats that don't mean much over such a small sample.

Another thing - I can't imagine Brimah and Phil being on the floor together so much as it kills spacing but I don't see much of an alternative.

I just think some people may be setting the bar too high. He could exceed expectations but nobody is gathering that based on 3 jumpers. As a sophomore Daniels averaged 12/5 for example. To jump from a non factor to 8/6 would require a huge leap.

Reaction Score
It's all about his ability to defend for me. I know he can rebound and I don't really care about the scoring because we'll have enough on the perimeter and I can see an uptick from both Brimah and Nolan in that dept, but if he's learned how to rotate, defend the PnR, and hedge/recover properly while limiting fouls, then he can earn as many minutes at PF as he wants. That was really the biggest issue that I noticed with him last year was how lost he was on defense, hopefully more minutes and more reps can correct this. As for Lubin, its a very limited sample size of 2 full games viewed, but he scares the living hell out of me on the defensive end, dude was lazy and putting in very limited effort. He's going to have to be re-programmed because alot is asked of our bigs on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I like Facey and choose to remain optimistic but we need a dose of reality on some points here.

Way too much has been drawn from his three 3 pointers of which he made 2.

Rate stats man very little when compiled over 123 minutes over the course of the season.

It seems that he's athletic enough to play on this level, but other than that it's tough to make conclusions or even hint at anything else based on the fact he played so little.

I've seen a few projections for 8/6 type production - people need to realize that Brimah and Phil COMBINED averaged 7/5 last season. If Facey comes near that I'd be thrilled.

The idea that basketball players become less efficient with more playing time is generally a fallacy.

Even if his rebounding numbers get worse, it'll be a marginal decrease at most.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The idea that basketball players become less efficient with more playing time is generally a fallacy.

Even if his rebounding numbers get worse, it'll be a marginal decrease at most.

I'd love to see data that backs that up.

In general, I'd imagine 100 minutes of garbage time over a season wouldn't be a great indicator of future performance.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see data that backs that up.

In general, I'd imagine 100 minutes of garbage time over a season wouldn't be a great indicator of future performance.

I remember first hearing about it in a video from Henry Abbott of TrueHoop. I'll try and find it.

In looking back at a lot of past UConn post players, almost never have their rebounding numbers gotten worse from their Freshman year, no matter the minutes they got.

Gavin Edwards is really the only example I can find. His ORB% numbers didn't really change but his DRB% went from about 18% his Freshman year to 13-14% over the rest of his career.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@johnhuskies95 Good stuff. I, for one, hope his rates stay the same or go up.

If nothing else, I'm very intrigued in how he'll fit in up here. Even though he's smaller height wise than Deandre, it seems he's more athletic to make up for being a short 4.

Reaction Score
I think Facey will be a 8ppg, 6 rpg, and 1.5 bpg guy with solid defense (I know he struggled with this last year, but I think with his length, a year of college level experience, and good coaching he can be an asset on D). I think that's fair.
Not a prayer...with the depth we have this year how can he possibly play more than 10 mins a game?

Reaction Score
@johnhuskies95 Good stuff. I, for one, hope his rates stay the same or go up.

If nothing else, I'm very intrigued in how he'll fit in up here. Even though he's smaller height wise than Deandre, it seems he's more athletic to make up for being a short 4.

Kentan and DeAndre have both measured in at 6'8.5" in shoes at various camps, with KF having a 7'1" wingspan and DD 7'2". KF has pretty good size for a college 4, physically he's pretty much my ideal at the 4, long enough to deal with bigger bigs if a college team puts that out on the floor, while athletic enough to deal with the smaller types if a team goes with the stretch 4 type.

Reaction Score
Kentan's biggest issue this year is going to be overcoming the perception of some on this board. If he were a 2014 recruit rather than a rising sophomore he'd have Boneyarders losing their collective minds with hyperbolic accolades and unwarranted hype based on a couple of youtube videos set to godawful instrumentals. Hell, Lubin's been talked about like he's got the size and in game demeanor of a power rangers villain and he's barely been above the Mason Dixon line. Facey was Mr. Basketball in NY, looked decent against the dregs of some poor teams and has had the benefit of a year in the system/in school. More importantly, he's maybe - maybe - the fourth option on offense, and on d, he's got the advantage of incredible rim protectors playing C and lighting quick and aggressive guards on the perimeter. He's going to be more than fine at doing what we ask him to do - rebounds, defense, some putbacks- something like Roscoe brought to the table.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not a prayer...with the depth we have this year how can he possibly play more than 10 mins a game?

I don't think we have great depth in the front court.

Reaction Score

Who's going to play the other 30 minutes at PF? The only options are to go with 4 guards, 2 "centers" with Nolan at the 4, or Rakim Lubin.

Unless Lubin surprises us all, I think Facey's going to be given a pretty long leash early in the season. Brimah and Nolan are both so foul prone that it's hard to see how they can play together for long stretches at a time. If we get to the midway point of the season and Facey/Lubin prove they aren't ready, I'm sure Ollie will go with the "let's put our best 5 on the floor and let the other team figure out how to guard us" approach. But it's in everyone's best interest to throw Facey out there and see what he can do early in the season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, KF was a 4 star recruit, he showed positive, if brief, moments as a freshman. I expect him to have a pretty good year this year and be a more reliable starter next year. FWIW

Reaction Score
Don't see how he contributes that much--if Facey plays who sits?
Hamilton? Samuals, Calhoun ?

Put the best players on the floor for most of the minutes...so then...list our best players in order.
doesn't have to be an exact science so when do you get to Facey?

8th maybe?

third guy off the bench...how many minutes does the third guy off the bench get each game? 5?

not trying to be mean..he's a good player...he's up against better & in my opinion not ready for prime time this season. Hope I'm wrong

Reaction Score
Don't see how he contributes that much--if Facey plays who sits?
Hamilton? Samuals, Calhoun ?

Put the best players on the floor for most of the minutes...so then...list our best players in order.
doesn't have to be an exact science so when do you get to Facey?

8th maybe?

third guy off the bench...how many minutes does the third guy off the bench get each game? 5?

not trying to be mean..he's a good player...he's up against better & in my opinion not ready for prime time this season. Hope I'm wrong

Fine I'll answer your questions:

1. If Facey is playing, we are playing a traditional Line-up with 2 bigs, a wing, and 2 guards.
2. that is not how basketball works. players play positions.
3. 8th men usually are 10-20 min/game, but who's to say he's 8th? If he can score in the post and/or spread the floor with 3's, he will 100% be on the floor a whole lot at 6'8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom