What Muffet McGraw Did... or Didn't Do | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What Muffet McGraw Did... or Didn't Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
NC or BE Championship? Hmmm, let me think. I think Geno would rather lose a conference championship or tournament, in order to prepare our girls for a NC. Who remembers conference champions? Greatness here is measured by NC.
ummmmmmmmm I think you do (your words below)
Because, I remember the look on her face when ND beat us in the BE finals. I remember Skylar's antics, at the end of the game, basically saying, screw UConn. So, to the victors, goes the spoils, and the Muffett bashing.

Reaction Score
ummmmmmmmm I think you do (your words below)
Because, I remember the look on her face when ND beat us in the BE finals. I remember Skylar's antics, at the end of the game, basically saying, screw UConn. So, to the victors, goes the spoils, and the Muffett bashing.
It could have been a regular season game, don't really care. It's the look and the antics that got to me. We took the big prize, and the look on the face of Skylar was priceless. Mo shut her down. She had the nerve to think they would beat us again.

Reaction Score
exactly, they really believe Geno doesn't mind losing the conference Championship... yeah ok!
Did not Geno say that anything less than a NC, is considered a failed season or that recruits come here to win NC's. Didn't hear anything in there about Conference titles.

Reaction Score
This is so funny! Some people think, once the game started that, "oh, it is only for the BE championship, it is OK if we lose" and that is what Geno thinks. Geno has incentives in his contract in terms of hundreds of thousand dollars on the team's season accomplishment. Yes, the NC is top, then Conference championship, then final four, etc...

Geno is happy when the practice gets rough because team white and team blue refuse to lose. And you are telling me he doesn't care for a conference championship?
Just because he won so many, more than the NC doesn't meant that he doesn't want to win.

Horse is dead a long time ago, let it go...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
NC or BE Championship? Hmmm, let me think. I think Geno would rather lose a conference championship or tournament, in order to prepare our girls for a NC. Who remembers conference champions? Greatness here is measured by NC.
Don't move the goalposts.

Reaction Score
This is so funny! Some people think, once the game started that, "oh, it is only for the BE championship, it is OK if we lose" and that is what Geno thinks. Geno has incentives in his contract in terms of hundreds of thousand dollars on the team's season accomplishment. Yes, the NC is top, then Conference championship, then final four, etc...

Geno is happy when the practice gets rough because team white and team blue refuse to lose. And you are telling me he doesn't care for a conference championship?
Just because he won so many, more than the NC doesn't meant that he doesn't want to win.

Horse is dead a long time ago, let it go...
I'm not saying that Geno doesn't want to win. What I am saying, is that you can lose a conference championship and still salvage the season by winning the NC. There are no more games after the NC. You win a NC, who cares if you lost the conference tourney? If you want to compare strategies, factor in what's at stake. Again, the LAST game of the season, you do not "quit". Why? Because it's the LAST game.
Greatness, is measured in NC. Not by conference titles. Yes, a loss hurts, but I'll gladly except a loss if we win the final game. I'm sure Geno feels the same way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that Geno doesn't want to win. What I am saying, is that you can lose a conference championship and still salvage the season by winning the NC. There are no more games after the NC. You win a NC, who cares if you lost the conference tourney? If you want to compare strategies, factor in what's at stake. Again, the LAST game of the season, you do not "quit". Why? Because it's the LAST game.
Greatness, is measured in NC. Not by conference titles. Yes, a loss hurts, but I'll gladly except a loss if we win the final game. I'm sure Geno feels the same way.
I must disagree. Geno has said numerous times, "If there's a championship, I want to win it". I believe the most memorable time was after one of those early tournaments, the Wahini Classic or something like that. He's also stated that there's no such thing as a good loss and that he hates to lose, hates it.

Reaction Score
I must disagree. Geno has said numerous times, "If there's a championship, I want to win it". I believe the most memorable time was after one of those early tournaments, the Wahini Classic or something like that. He's also stated that there's no such thing as a good loss and that he hates to lose, hates it.
Ok, Nan. Just understand that I hate to lose, period. Sports have hurt me more than any woman ever could. But you have to admit, the loss to ND in the BE finals helped us to defeat them in the FF. Kelly said that after the loss, Geno said, ok, now I'm going to help or teach(something along those lines) you to win the NC. The Stanford loss, while hurtful, made the girls want to work harder, leading to a NC.
Nobody wants to lose, losing hurts, but can be used to as a teaching tool and as fuel for a fire. You have posters here that want to say that Geno quit like Muffett. I say, you can't compare them because of what was at stake. I know that I am biased, that's why I'm on this board. What are your thoughts?

Reaction Score
One last kick to make sure horse doesn't move anymore. Nobody likes to lose, period. Of course the lost to ND helped. Geno knew his team cannot play the same way and win. Time for plan B. He did not lose so he can learn. He learned because he lost. What is the use of fouling when your most clutch players can't make layups and your best shooters can't hit the side of a barn? it is like bleeding slowly and painfully to death. It is reality.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Big East Championship ND down 12 with 1:30 left... Muffett doesn't foul! Game Doty goes down with head injury in last 30 seconds. Muffett is smart. Maya and Tina

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ND fouled, Tiff shoots and Maya gets the rebound lol, the odds are slim. now the fouled Tina with 27 seconds left down 15, tina miss both... but Maya gets another rebound lol

Reaction Score
One last kick to make sure horse doesn't move anymore. Nobody likes to lose, period. Of course the lost to ND helped. Geno knew his team cannot play the same way and win. Time for plan B. He did not lose so he can learn. He learned because he lost. What is the use of fouling when your most clutch players can't make layups and your best shooters can't hit the side of a barn? it is like bleeding slowly and painfully to death. It is reality.
Nobody said "lose to learn". How about conceding the game in the last few minutes, knowing that if it's the conference championship, you have more games left to play. Fouling stops the CLOCK! "Clutch" players can get HOT. Or you can "quit" or concede the game. But not the last game of the season.

Reaction Score
Man, I'd hate to play chess against you. You'd be playing out hopeless chess game. you have a king and some unpromotable pawns and your opponent has king, queen, knight and bishop and you'd still be running around fouling to extend the game, so maybe you can win. Love your spirit but not your game manners.

Reaction Score
Man, I'd hate to play chess against you. You'd be playing out hopeless chess game. you have a king and some unpromotable pawns and your opponent has king, queen, knight and bishop and you'd still be running around fouling to extend the game, so maybe you can win. Love your spirit but not your game manners.
If an opponent has queen, knight and bishop, it's game over. Should be able to checkmate me in just a few moves. No fouls in chess. :)

Reaction Score
If an opponent has queen, knight and bishop, it's game over. Should be able to checkmate me in just a few moves. No fouls in chess. :)

Ah, happy to see that you QUIT! you give up! pretty easy even for one who hates to give up until the game is over. Yes, last chess tournament of the year. You lose, you go home. Not Big East chess championship.

Reaction Score
Not compared to a NC.

"When you lose this game, there's nothing worse. There's nothing worse because this is the game that gets you to the place where all good things can happen. This is the hardest hurdle to get over, because you need 12 more months then to get back here and you didn't put yourself in a position to win the national championship."

Geno Doesn't want to lose any game, but he's not talking about a conference championship here. At UConn, two games count. The last two.

Are we spoiled? Hell, yea!

Reaction Score
Ah, happy to see that you QUIT! you give up! pretty easy even for one who hates to give up until the game is over. Yes, last chess tournament of the year. You lose, you go home. Not Big East chess championship.
Didn't say I would quit. Didn't somebody say earlier "don't ever give up""
Unless, of course, your playing UConn.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I agree, which leads me to 2003 and the Big East championship game against Villanova.

After winning 55 straight games, Uconn dropped that contest.

70. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think it's gonna die. It just keeps twitching, unable to learn.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You know how when Google Maps shows you different options to a place and takes traffic into account? Each way is viable but sometimes one way is better because of traffic or construction on another route. Reasonable people will look at the assessment and say, "Yes, I see why Google Maps is routing us this way. The construction on the bridge is awful and traffic is down to one lane. Let's go the other way. It will get us where we want to go more quickly."

That's what we're talking about. Fouling is one way to come back. IT IS NOT THE ONLY WAY. It is one way.

Not admitting that there are other ways to come back than just fouling is not reasonable in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Reaction Score
You know how when Google Maps shows you different options to a place and takes traffic into account? Each way is viable but sometimes one way is better because of traffic or construction on another route. Reasonable people will look at the assessment and say, "Yes, I see why Google Maps is routing us this way. The construction on the bridge is awful and traffic is down to one lane. Let's go the other way. It will get us where we want to go more quickly."

That's what we're talking about. Fouling is one way to come back. IT IS NOT THE ONLY WAY. It is one way.

Not admitting that there are other ways to come back than just fouling is not reasonable in the face of evidence to the contrary.
It's the only way that stops the clock. Even if teams hit free throws, you can hit threes to try to make up some ground. Yes, the odds are very slim. But, it stops the clock, it gives you a chance to comeback. If, you have a team with shaky guard play, maybe you trap, not with Mo, Kia, Morgan and Breanna. I was so relieved when ND chose not to foul.

Reaction Score

Good point Wally - good analogy! For my benefit I would sum up the three main methods of come backs; high pressure defense, fouling, and shooting all three pointers. Since 3 pts shots are done throughout the game anyway that is not a real "change a losing game." The 4th option with the NC game and Muffitt was "no major change, don't really do anything different, let the game play out." That's part one of the dilemma. I think 99% can agree on part one. (the one % can always come up with something else.) Part two is the key issue and a major conundrum. WHY DID MUFFITT decide on her choice of game strategy (or lack of) for the last few minutes of the NC game??
Some popular choices are: A. She was satisfied with the season and was OK with a quick ending of said season; B. She didn't want to use a strategy that could lead to a 20 pt. loss instead of a single digit or 10 pt. loss; C. she wasn't happy about it, but UConn was a better team-she knew it and she accepted it; D. or the volatile & loathsome --SHE GAVE UP--SHE QUIT!!
It is just someone's opinion when they select A-B-C- or D. We don't know & only Muffitt knows for sure. So with that in mind I take A. Why? Because I go by what Muffitt said during and after the NC game. She said, " No one expected us to be here this year. We had a young team." Notre Dame had a very good year in Muffitt's eyes and claimed the good old "Moral Victory." She was satisfied by the season, not happy with the game results; and OK with the quick ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom