What Muffet McGraw Did... or Didn't Do | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What Muffet McGraw Did... or Didn't Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Um yes, the thread started as a reasonable discussion of a rival coach's tactics, but by the first page the description for some had become "throw in the towel" and then to "didn't try at all" and "gave up" and "quitter." Look, I know the coaches of UConn's top rivals are fair game for the worst type of diatribes, be they Walz, Staley, Stringer, Mulkey, McGraw, and many others from the past. Personally, I have a deep antipathy for only one (ex-)coach, and even for her I have a deep respect and just like to let her actions speak for themselves. You can of course selectively read the posts in a thread (or even leave yourself a big out by saying "I didn't read all of them"), but having read such baseless and stupid stuff about Geno on other boards, it feels a little repulsive to me when the BY stuff starts going that same way on other coaches. That's just me though, and any UConn fan who hates McGraw for past actions is likely going to dig into the chamber pot for some projectiles.

And again, Geno's tactics at the end of some big losses have been even less aggressive than what Muffet did in the 2015 NC, so throwing brown stinky stuff into the wind that comes back to cover your face doesn't seem the right way to go.
I don't need an out. I didn't find anything that was said in this thread "tasteless" or "mindless". What's wrong with saying she "gave up"? Or that she "threw in the towel". Quite mild, compared to what I've heard on other boards about Geno.

IMHO, Notre Dame should have fouled. Sure, they missed some 3's, but somebody could've gotten hot. What if, UConn misses a few free throws and starts to feel pressure? There is absolutely, nothing wrong, with saying that she "threw in the towel" or "quit" or " gave up". Because, by not fouling, imho, that's exactly what she did.

Reaction Score
Sure mindless vengeance bashing can be sweet I guess. I've just seen too much clueless stuff about Geno on other boards including ND's to go all happy jack by calling an opponent's coach a quitter, but sure, however you want to get your jollies. At least ND still wants to play UConn, and if it really bothers you that opponents celebrate on the rare occasions when UConn gets beat, at least you picked the right team to root for that will keep you from getting stressed out too much. Ignorance is in the mind of the beholder, and I trust that both the UConn and ND fans are happy that their team's coaches are not members of the fantasy strategy forum leagues.

Reaction Score
Sure mindless vengeance bashing can be sweet I guess. I've just seen too much clueless stuff about Geno on other boards including ND's to go all happy jack by calling an opponent's coach a quitter, but sure, however you want to get your jollies. At least ND still wants to play UConn, and if it really bothers you that opponents celebrate on the rare occasions when UConn gets beat, at least you picked the right team to root for that will keep you from getting stressed out too much. Ignorance is in the mind of the beholder, and I trust that both the UConn and ND fans are happy that their team's coaches are not members of the fantasy strategy forum leagues.
Again, I don't see the "mindless vengeance bashing that you're referring to. I've heard coaches called a lot worse than "quitter". Are you a Muffet lover? This is UConn country.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, I don't see the "mindless vengeance bashing that you're referring to. I've heard coaches called a lot worse than "quitter". Are you a Muffet lover? This is UConn country.
Naw, I'm more of a Geno admirer, and since on occasion he has done even less against ND than Muffet did last April in the NC game, I just think purported UConn fans like you who throw the quitter name on her could also pinning it on him. This what you appear to have just said:

IYHO, UConn should have fouled and not put the reserves in. Sure, they missed some shots, but somebody could've gotten hot. What if, ND misses a few free throws and starts to feel pressure? There is absolutely, nothing wrong, with saying that he "threw in the towel" or "quit" or " gave up". Because, by not fouling, iyho, that's exactly what he did. (Feb 27, 2012 in front of the ND fans.) ---Slight paraphrase of words from the horse's mouth.

So by all means say whatever you want about Geno's and Muffet's coaching methods. They care squat about that, and with good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't think they had any misconceptions that they could have pulled it out. It would seem some here aren't quite dealing with reality.

Correct.

Poor Muffet was confronted with a choice comparable to choosing between a Chinese water torture or drowning.

I believe the term for that sort of a hopeless predicament is a "Hobson's choice."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Correct.

Poor Muffet was confronted with a choice comparable to choosing between a Chinese water torture or drowning.

I believe the term for that sort of a hopeless predicament is a "Hobson's choice."
Ahem.

I don't believe that's what a "Hobson's Choice" is. Least what I know about Tommy.

noun
the choice of taking what is offered or nothing at all

Word Origin

C16: named after Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), English liveryman who gave his customers no choice but had them take the nearest horse

Still, though, better than Sophie's Choice. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ahem.

I don't believe that's what a "Hobson's Choice" is. Least what I know about Tommy.

noun
the choice of taking what is offered or nothing at all

Word Origin

C16: named after Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), English liveryman who gave his customers no choice but had them take the nearest horse

Still, though, better than Sophie's Choice. :eek:

Good catch. I chose a different definition of Hobson's choice: "The necessity of choosing between two or more equally objectionable alternatives." (Merriam-Webster)

Put another way, no choice at all. Remember Henry Ford's sales pitch?

"You can buy a Model-T in any color you want, as long as it's black."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A thread that beats a topic to death and then more than doubles its length with a bibliographic self-study! Sorta like a game of hoops with no hoops. Still, in all, it does keep the knives sharp for when real play begins.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
upload_2015-8-7_10-44-21.png

... stay UConn, my friends

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good catch. I chose a different definition of Hobson's choice: "The necessity of choosing between two or more equally objectionable alternatives." (Merriam-Webster)

Put another way, no choice at all. Remember Henry Ford's sales pitch?

"You can buy a Model-T in any color you want, as long as it's black."
Yea, that's more like what I remember. This or nothing.

Reaction Score
Naw, I'm more of a Geno admirer, and since on occasion he has done even less against ND than Muffet did last April in the NC game, I just think purported UConn fans like you who throw the quitter name on her could also pinning it on him. This what you appear to have just said:

IYHO, UConn should have fouled and not put the reserves in. Sure, they missed some shots, but somebody could've gotten hot. What if, ND misses a few free throws and starts to feel pressure? There is absolutely, nothing wrong, with saying that he "threw in the towel" or "quit" or " gave up". Because, by not fouling, iyho, that's exactly what he did. (Feb 27, 2012 in front of the ND fans.) ---Slight paraphrase of words from the horse's mouth.

So by all means say whatever you want about Geno's and Muffet's coaching methods. They care squat about that, and with good reason.
Don't remember how much we were down, or exactly what the circumstances were, don't care either. I probably couldn't bear to watch UConn lose. Maybe, on ND's message board, they called Geno names like that. That is their prerogative, as ND fans, to do so. Don't blame them, if they did. But this is UConn's board, so, I'm biased. Geno has how many NC? How many does Muffett have? What was at stake? We're talking NC here, not BE championship. Which Geno could care less about. We count National Championships, not BE. I'm sure if it was a NC game, Geno would have fouled. You wanna label Geno? Label him "Winner", not "quitter". Or, join our enemies.

Reaction Score
We're talking NC here, not BE championship. Which Geno could care less about.

I agree, which leads me to 2003 and the Big East championship game against Villanova.

After winning 55 straight games, Uconn dropped that contest. I thought at the time and since that Geno coached a very strange game that day, showing little of his fire. I am not saying that he lost it on purpose, but I did not feel that he was terribly upset.

Six games later they won the National Championship.

Reaction Score
I agree, which leads me to 2003 and the Big East championship game against Villanova.

After winning 55 straight games, Uconn dropped that contest. I thought at the time and since that Geno coached a very strange game that day, showing little of his fire. I am not saying that he lost it on purpose, but I did not feel that he was terribly upset.
Well I was there and I WAS upset! (but I got over it 6 games later :p )

Reaction Score
Whether she did something or not , I hope that if faced with the same situation again against the Huskies that she does the same thing.....Resulting in the same outcome of course.

HGN - I am right with you. Cause if she doesn't do much, then nothing much can happen. I was glad when she didn't foul because there is always a chance (a long shot many times) that a team can come back.

Reaction Score

Yo Dobbs - There are other "methods to the madness" of Feb.27, 2012--other than quitting on a losing game. Since it was a game with 5 weeks before NCAAs Geno pulled a psychological ploy of pulling his starters and putting in the subs. He was sending a message to his players. He had that luxury since it was not the NC game. What was the ploy? Only Geno knows.

HGN

Reaction Score
HGN - I am right with you. Cause if she doesn't do much, then nothing much can happen. I was glad when she didn't foul because there is always a chance (a long shot many times) that a team can come back.
Agreed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Except of course for all the many times when even bigger comebacks were made without fouling. But if you two keep saying it, maybe you'll find someone to dance to it. Still think that a game like 52-card pickup may be the best place for you to shine.

Reaction Score
You obviously have no clue about Geno.
NC or BE Championship? Hmmm, let me think. I think Geno would rather lose a conference championship or tournament, in order to prepare our girls for a NC. Who remembers conference champions? Greatness here is measured by NC.

Reaction Score
Just clueless. When you do learn something about basketball and the women's game, you'll understand that no UConn and ND game should be anything but a blood battle till the end by whatever means the coach thinks is the best way to win. Tell the BY before this season's ND game how you don't mind if Geno "quits on a losing game" if things go bad while you continue your rant about any other coach being a quitter unless they do some dumb fouling against good shooting teams at the end of games. See how that goes over here with fans who are a little more clued in than you.

In the meantime, you are being called back to the Mississippi Valley board, where your insights for the WCBB-worst Delta Devilettes are considered just gosh darn smart.
I'll take a blowout any day. Geno makes other coaches quit. Especially when he beats them in FF's and NC's. Muffett, has been in what? Four of the last five NC games. Losing all of them, including the last two, to Geno. Damn right, she quit.
Geno, on the other hand, winner of 10 NC's, may have conceded a game. Knowing full well that a NC was in the near future. Muffet gets no sympathy from me.

People are entitled to their opinions. No need to insult them for that. Stop defending Muffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom