What happens to ACC if UNC, Syracuse & maybe FSU get slammed? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What happens to ACC if UNC, Syracuse & maybe FSU get slammed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What gives anyone faith that a school will get "annihilated" under the NCAA regime no matter what the transgression? Penn State didn't get annihilated. USC didn't get annihilated. Miami and Auburn (Cam Newton) didn't even get touched. Even if UNC, Syracuse and FSU all get slapped with sanctions at the same time, it's irrelevant with respect to the long-term stability of the ACC. Ohio State and Penn State were ineligible for bowls at the same time, yet the Big Ten promptly poached Maryland and Rutgers. The SEC looks at NCAA violations as speed bumps - that league is more powerful than ever.

There might be other market-based reasons why the ACC is at long-term risk, but the prospect of NCAA violations isn't one of them. If Penn State didn't get the SMU death penalty treatment, no one is going to get it.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, it won't be UNC going to the B1G with UVA any longer. It'll be us!

Would NC State be picked over UNC by the SEC now? If so, say hello to the Big XII, Tarheels! Or they could stay in the ACC and add ECU when NC State leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC schools will be salivating if there are postseason bans. Why? In the B1g and in other cases, the postseason money was taken from the banned schools and split up among the others.

Reaction Score
What gives anyone faith that a school will get "annihilated" under the NCAA regime no matter what the transgression? Penn State didn't get annihilated. USC didn't get annihilated. Miami and Auburn (Cam Newton) didn't even get touched. Even if UNC, Syracuse and FSU all get slapped with sanctions at the same time, it's irrelevant with respect to the long-term stability of the ACC. Ohio State and Penn State were ineligible for bowls at the same time, yet the Big Ten promptly poached Maryland and Rutgers. The SEC looks at NCAA violations as speed bumps - that league is more powerful than ever.

There might be other market-based reasons why the ACC is at long-term risk, but the prospect of NCAA violations isn't one of them. If Penn State didn't get the SMU death penalty treatment, no one is going to get it.

Agreed that NCAA sanction, if any, will be meaningless in het long-term. That said, what happened at Penn State is beyond words; but, it was a criminal issue. The NCAA has no power to in those matters. What happened at UNC is an academic one and the protection of certain athletic/academic standards is what the NCAA is supposed to enforce.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe the more interesting question is what happens to the NCAA if it fails to materially punish UNC? Conehead is right, upholding the academic integrity of the student athlete system is job 1 for the NCAA. If it fails to address UNC in a material way, it really loses any justification for it's existence.

That said, I don't expect the death penalty, though it is clearly deserved, but I do think vacating of wins, NCAA tourney money, NC titles and a very significant post season ban is in order.

Reaction Score
kick them somewhere it hurts:

Remove post season titles during the time frame this has been alleged to occur.

Reduce scholarships for 5 years

Ban from post season tournaments and bowl games for 5 years.

FIRE COACHES AND AD'S. I didn't know it is a baloney (to put it nicely) excuse......everyone looked the other way.

If it is "factually true" coaches and AD's "didn't know anything".........they still should be fired (no payouts or pensions) for incompetence .....they don't deserve to coach a game of marbles ........forget telling parents they provide guidance for future successes in life........or any other cute brainwashing phrase they use in recruitment. Follow their leadership and the "student" athlete will be guaranteed all the qualities that lead to failure or jail terms.

I guess my opinion of justice won't work in reality........fails under the concept of "slap on the wrists" or "turn your head and cough"

Reaction Score
If the NCAA really wanted to send a message they would issue a TV ban. That would be crippling to the schools & the conference.

When the Penn St administration was discussing the consent decree with Bill O'Brien he said do whatever you have to but, keep us on TV. If a potential recruit knew that going to a school would mean he would not appear on TV for a period of time it would cause an immediate removal of that school from his list.

While we all complain about the AAC deal the one thing we all agree on is that it does provide exposure for UConn. Lack of TV exposure would be the closest thing to a death penalty the NCAA could do to a cheating school.

Imagine ESPN being unable to hype Duke/UNC hoops or Florida St/Notre Dame football because those schools cannot appear on TV. ESPN would be on the phone with Swofford within minutes saying this is not what we agreed to & we are immediately decreasing the value of the contract.

Reaction Score
Will this happen? Of course not. The "penalty" to UNC will likely be 10 less minutes of practice per year for the crew team. The "penalty" to Syracuse will be forcing them to change their banner ads from "New York's College Team" to "New York's Semi-College Team". FSU will get a very stern warning from Slimeball Emmert that reads somewhere along the lines of "I'm only going to give 73 more chances so watch it!". ESPiN will brush everything under the rug faster than a corrupt politician and laud UNC and Syracuse for their "ability to fight through adversity". And UCONN fans will get to enjoy another decade of games against Tulsa, Tulane and SMU, while winning more hoops titles and ridiculously barely cracking the Top 25 preseason polls.

This is the most concise version of what I expect to happen that I've read yet, so therefore I'm giving it the +1 and closing the door until someone actually does something (i.e. 10 minutes less practice for the crew team).

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of Roy Williams but I did respect him. He went from a blue chip Kansas to a blue chip UNC where recruiting is still just a matter of pointing out #23 and history and all that so I don't give him all that much credit. He must have known what was going on which makes him part of the problem. IF he didn't know, then he's gotta be looking to make a change at this late stage of his career especially if sanctions do come down. But seriously Roy. Perhaps it's time for you to take your empty championships and go home. 12th season at UNC, you knew what was happening. Shame on you.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
If the NCAA really wanted to send a message they would issue a TV ban. That would be crippling to the schools & the conference.

When the Penn St administration was discussing the consent decree with Bill O'Brien he said do whatever you have to but, keep us on TV. If a potential recruit knew that going to a school would mean he would not appear on TV for a period of time it would cause an immediate removal of that school from his list.

While we all complain about the AAC deal the one thing we all agree on is that it does provide exposure for UConn. Lack of TV exposure would be the closest thing to a death penalty the NCAA could do to a cheating school.

Imagine ESPN being unable to hype Duke/UNC hoops or Florida St/Notre Dame football because those schools cannot appear on TV. ESPN would be on the phone with Swofford within minutes saying this is not what we agreed to & we are immediately decreasing the value of the contract.

Don't know that the NCAA has that authority. It might not be possible.

Reaction Score
I think FSU is the least likely to deal with potential NCAA violations, but they are simply becoming constant off-field drama - it's a matter of time before something happens down there.

On a more possible hand, I honestly believe dark days are coming for UNC and Syracuse. UNC could especially get smacked so hard that trust issues will never diminish with fellow conference members.

If UNC gets annihilated, does this give schools like Duke and NCSt reason to break up the in-state alliance and decades of Carolina-centric control over the ACC?

I'm also sensing other schools are becoming discontent again - VT & UVa.

I'm also curious how significant UNC violations factor into the absurd GOR recently signed by ACC members.

For a while, I sensed the ACC was set for the long-term & the Big12 was in fact the p5 conference on more fragile terms - but the overlap between the mighty SEC and less profitable ACC in the Southeast probably has the former thinking dollar signs and expansion again.

The ACC could be a hot mess again.
Could give UVa a reason / excusse to bolt to the B1G, VT to the SEC.

Reaction Score
What happens to ACC if UNC, Syracuse & maybe FSU get slammed?
Other than billyboy, stimpy, their Tar Heel equivalent numbskull, and the Cuse's 7 elderly fans in rural upstate NY forming an empathetic group hug?

Reaction Score
If UNC isn't severely punished, the cheating will become more rampant and the P5 will lose control of their own product. If you can cheat that extensively and not get penalized SEC schools will pull out all the stops to get players. At that point, it becomes crappy professional sports and the end of college sports will begin.

The amateur aspect of college sports is what creates the pride and passion associated with it. Recruits are supposed to pick the school that offers the most opportunity for them and the one that they feel an affinity for. When it becomes all about money or getting a degree without going to class, the romance of college sports is gone. The school pride and love of of the game is what keeps us watching. When it is all about who pays more or who requires the least academically, the fans will lose interest in all but a few markets.
This is already going on in a lot of schools, only difference being UNC got caught. Many, many years ago I was taking an english class at Memphis and a basketball player showed up on day 1 and we never saw him again, and he passed the well taught course. This is not against Memphis because I guarantee far worse is going on in a lot of places. Our APR thing was nothing in comparison.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
hasn't fsu and clemson been trying to leave the acc for years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom