Went to the women's game last night... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Went to the women's game last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The men give me agita every game (although the Temple game was good), and the women hardly ever. I want all UConn teams to be as successful as the women's basketball team, every year, every game. Screw the rest of the world.

Our men's team is natures way of telling us some things are unnatural, you spoiled UConn women's fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Go back to your board seriously you're a joke too. 100% all of the time? Relative my friend, easy to look 100% all of the time against competition who is 10% as good!! get a grip the guys play hard even when they don't look it….physicality of the 2 games are worlds apart. Go back and talk about the girls hair cuts and stuff will ya…….

Spot on, mau. I'm a women's team fan, but that kind of happy horses**t coming from some of their fanbase drives me nuts.

Reaction Score
Mau & CT, I see you guys comparing. I'm not. Just like the OP shouldn't be judged for finding the game boring, you shouldn't attack the people that do enjoy it. Geno reached more victories in an easier venue. Calhoun's climb to 3 champions was a harder climb. No doubt. But that is not the point.
The point is some of us enjoy the women's game more than others. It's not a knock to the men and it doesn't mean we are deluded.
Both accomplishments are amazing

All good David or Gavid but the holier than thou women's fans who actually believe in crap like"…. they play fundamental basketball and play it the way it should be played" or "…they 100% for 100% of the game…" just annoy me. They need to keep to their own little world on the other board. Some come out sounding like they despise the mens game and I am sure many do……whatever right? Just leave it over there and all will be fine.

When do the girls play again I can't wait to watch them? Too bad about Morgan Tuck (see I pay attention too);)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am not putting anyone down and my post is in no way comparable to the inflammatory post made by 93. There is nothing wrong with being spoiled by winning and appreciating great effort and perfect execution. I do agree that I am guilty of laying on the sarcasm a bit too thick. That was BS and I apologize. I realize these posters are expressing their approval for 93's opinion despite his delivery. However, it still doesn't explain why someone would give a like to a post, although an agreeable opinion, was executed in an unnecessary demeaning way. I don't understand posters condoning this kind of behavior.

I will now step down from my pedestal and STFU. I imagine most will appreciate that ...
I'd rather you express your views. I wasn't trying to censure you. And yes, you made a generalized comment that didn't target someone in particular vs. 93 going after a specific individual. That is an important distinction. I was focusing on the frustration aspect we have towards those that express things differently from our preferences as opposed to this distinction.

Did 93 go off on someone who made an innocent statement. I felt he did. You did as well and so did several others. I didn't give him a like because I felt it was unnecessary to attack someone else's feelings even though I agree with him about how wonderful the women's program is and how much I enjoy their play. I also enjoy the men's game for different reasons.

We can only conjecture why people did not put more emphasis on the "demeaning" nature of his post. It could be this is how they talk to one another or they felt that the OP was devaluing the women's program with his statement (intentionally or unintentionally) and needed something sharp in response. Or many other things.

The best thing we can do, is make our statements and not become bitter or cynical if they don't have the impact we want them to have. There"s a value to handling our losses in a graceful way, whether it's when the team loses or someone acts in a manner we disagree with and gets support for that behavior. We can't change the world. The best we can do is try to keep the world from changing us. But that doesn't mean we should stop contributing.

Without communication we can't understand one another. We can't fix anything without understanding the nature of that thing. Your confusion is honest and a good starting place for you. The best value you can get from this is understanding why this bothers you as much as it does. We can point out the "wrongness" of other peoples actions, but in the end those actions don't necessarily get universal approval or disapproval. So if something bothers us a lot, and not someone else, what is it about our make up that the action is causing a strong reaction within us? If I can't change the other person's way of doing things, then doesn't it make sense that the best thing for me to do is change the impact those things have on me?

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
All good David or Gavid but the holier than thou women's fans who actually believe in crap like"…. they play fundamental basketball and play it the way it should be played" or "…they 100% for 100% of the game…" just annoy me. They need to keep to their own little world on the other board. Some come out sounding like they despise the mens game and I am sure many do……whatever right? Just leave it over there and all will be fine.

When do the girls play again I can't wait to watch them? Too bad about Morgan Tuck (see I pay attention too);)
It's called saving face mau. We all do it. It used to bother me more in the past when I saw people do it. And you know plenty do it in this forum as well. If we need to exaggerate things to make ourselves feel better, than why is it necessary for me to throw cold water on people who choose to do this? Do I really need people to conform to my version of reality? I wouldn't wish that on anyone!:)

Reaction Score
I'll admit it - I don't watch the women's games unless they're playing another top-notch team (or if it's the conference or NCAA tourney) because most all their games are like shooting fish in a barrel. That being said, I still am glad they consistently blow away the competition (especially in this time of our post-CR apocalypse), because the more UConn excels in all sports, the better UConn athletics looks overall.

Plus as far as the women's game goes - yes, it does need a more level playing field, but it's not up to UConn to play down to their competition, it's up to their opponents to catch up to them. The UConn women's success alone has increased the popularity of the very sport they play in - that's saying a lot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It seems women's basketball is the third most popular college sport, baseball at #4 and maybe soccer or hockey at #5. Men's basketball is # and football is #1. We are dominant in 60% of those sports. That is not bad, at all. Very impressive, actually.

We are working on the other two sports. Commitment is there. Us killing gazelles regularly in the third most popular sport is not bad, really. I don't know if we'll ever be dominant in football. Winning a championship is possible (Wasington, Colorado, BYU), but not easy to reach blue-blood status.

UConn is dominant in 3 of those 5 sports? Does women's basketball count triple?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since I really don't care if the women's basketball team wins or loses - I look forward to a hypothetical season where they struggle and lose 7-8 games just to see how people react.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Since I really don't care if the women's basketball team wins or loses - I look forward to a hypothetical season where they struggle and lose 7-8 games just to see how people react.

I went back to look out of curiosity. They lost 8 in 'o5 and bowed out in the Sweet 16. Horrific year for them. Don't remember much reaction at the time, but that was just after Taurasi graduated and they were coming off winning 3 NCs in a row.

What is more interesting: They've only lost 55 games since 1994. That's less than 3 games per year over a 20 year period! That's ludicrous.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I went back to look out of curiosity. They lost 8 in 'o5 and bowed out in the Sweet 16. Horrific year for them. Don't remember much reaction at the time, but that was just after Taurasi graduated and they were coming off winning 3 NCs in a row.

What is more interesting: They've only lost 55 games since 1994. That's less than 3 games per year over a 20 year period! That's ludicrous.

Ok I guess a stretch of years where they go out early a couple of years.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Go back to your board seriously you're a joke too. 100% all of the time? Relative my friend, easy to look 100% all of the time against competition who is 10% as good!! get a grip the guys play hard even when they don't look it….physicality of the 2 games are worlds apart. Go back and talk about the girls hair cuts and stuff will ya…….

Hmmm. Where to begin? First, I've been a men's fan since the early sixties. I started out as a bandwagon fan of the women's with their success in 1995, but continued to be impressed by their effort. Second, physicality and effort are two different things, you bring up physicality as if that was my point. Third, you are the one mistaken otherwise about my point. Maybe I should have brought up an analogy I was considering. All the girls dive for the ball as much as, gasp, Dyson! I wasn't comparing women to men so much as a difference in eras. A plethora of coaches who have done so over time comment on how more indulged athletes have become. 100% is hyperbole I grant, as nothing is 100%, but what distinguishes the UConn women, besides talent and execution, is that everyone is a Dyson or a Freeman, ready and willing to dive on the floor or battle at any point at any game. Let's put it this way, do YOU think every male player is a Dyson or a Freeman?

Fourth, the tone of your response suggests I hit a nerve, or maybe that's just another manifestation of jleve's Internet comment.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Where to begin? First, I've been a men's fan since the early sixties. I started out as a bandwagon fan of the women's with their success in 1995, but continued to be impressed by their effort. Second, physicality and effort are two different things, you bring up physicality as if that was my point. Third, you are the one mistaken otherwise about my point. Maybe I should have brought up an analogy I was considering. All the girls dive for the ball as much as, gasp, Dyson! I wasn't comparing women to men so much as a difference in eras. A plethora of coaches who have done so over time comment on how more indulged athletes have become. 100% is hyperbole I grant, as nothing is 100%, but what distinguishes the UConn women, besides talent and execution, is that everyone is a Dyson or a Freeman, ready and willing to dive on the floor or battle at any point at any game. Let's put it this way, do YOU think every male player is a Dyson or a Freeman?

Fourth, the tone of your response suggests I hit a nerve, or maybe that's just another manifestation of jleve's Internet comment.

Huh? Physicality related to effort are very much the same. When a guy goes down and guards a guy on the block as they are banging each other around things tend to tire even the most in shape individuals. You will see a good player in the mens game "take a play or 2 off" because, well they have to. If they are guarding someone cat quick and chasing them all around screens by 250 lbs guys and under the basket side to side the the same can be said, it's a faster more physical game. So what is 100% digger? A girl who is 10X the player as whom she is guarding or scoring against looking like she is giving 100%? Or is it Deandre Daniels coming out with a high ankle sprain just helping the team with picks and some defense?
Please, give it a break.

If Dyson and Freeman is all you can come up with then you aren't truly a men's fan and never was. And I'm not sure you're comparing (yes you do) talent and execution of the 2 games and I would hope not because while I disagree with you I respect your opinion, but I doubt you're that stupid! Obviously the women are talented, pretty tough not to be when you get 2-3 of the Top 10 recruits every year and they all stay 4 years!! And execution…..as stated in the previous sentence pretty hard not to execute when the other team doesn't have nearly half the talent or athleticism of your team now isn't it? And coaching……Geno is the best and I don't think there is any doubt. A perfectionist and an a strategist who gets his players to play hard and if nothing else, aways defensively tough! That's a no brainer……..add them all up there's a reason they're beating the Top 10 teams by 30 plus besides the fact the women's game has little or no parity!

I will give you one thing that I agree with because I want to end on a positive note……I wish more guys dove on the floor after the ball, I do. I've said it during games and I hate when a ball is loose and the other team is on the floor and our guys is bending down to get it. I'm sold there, but while this is certainly a statement of effort, this doesn't take away from everything else they need to do the whole game, in a much faster more physical atmosphere!

You hit a nerve only if you compare the 2 games. They are totally different and I appreciate that you went to the other side at some point because of "talent and execution". Your tone tells me you have more respect for the way they play. I would only say leave it over there on that board unless you have something good to say. It's that simple! Bet you can't wait for that 40 point shocker against USF today!

Reaction Score
I will give you one thing that I agree with because I want to end on a positive note……I wish more guys dove on the floor after the ball, I do. I've said it during games and I hate when a ball is loose and the other team is on the floor and our guys is bending down to get it. I'm sold there, but while this is certainly a statement of effort, this doesn't take away from everything else they need to do the whole game, in a much faster more physical atmosphere!

You hit a nerve only if you compare the 2 games. They are totally different and I appreciate that you went to the other side at some point because of "talent and execution". Your tone tells me you have more respect for the way they play. I would only say leave it over there on that board unless you have something good to say. It's that simple! Bet you can't wait for that 40 point shocker against USF today!

Ha :D way to end on a positive note. Thanks for letting me know about the game today. My 88 yr old mother prefers the blowouts as well. The men get her blood pressure up too high.

I do respect Digger for admitting he jumped on the wagon in 95. I'd wager most of the women's following began in earnest in 1995. Winning tends to bring interest and consistent winning usually brings commitment (gets bodies in the seats). We've seen it with the men's following as well. I don't see the women ever not being a major player, but their attendance will likely drop once the hard times come. Fans like Uconn93 tend to disappear once times gets tough. I hope Digger will be the type that sticks around. We need too keep good fans like him.

Digger's analogy is all wrong. Although no one dove to the floor more than Jennifer Rizzotti (who wore knee pads), the men go after it every bit as much. I guess he didn't see the game when Neils Giffey dived for a ball at a critical moment only to slide out of bounds or the game Amida Brimah dove to the floor to get a jump ball. He likely knows nothing about the effort of Tim Coles fighting down low with Patrick Ewing? And how about Lasan Kromah against Indiana?

Nice :) You can't see it though if your not watching the men's game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis