Went to the women's game last night... | The Boneyard

Went to the women's game last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
enjoyed the game but..... there is something about not having the outcome a foregone conclusion that makes the game way more exciting. I think if the men dominated like the women do I wouldn't be that into them.. Knowing that they could lose makes me so much more invested in the team. Really makes me appreciate the men's team even more.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I like how efficient they work. Everything is done with energy and precision. From defense to offense and they're all talking. They dismantle zones so quickly. Granted they are most of the time head and shoulders above their competition but I enjoy watching them for those aspects

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching the 1999 team. I'd love to see it again. Excellence and domination is rare, and rare can be beautiful.

Reaction Score
enjoyed the game but..... there is something about not having the outcome a foregone conclusion that makes the game way more exciting. I think if the men dominated like the women do I wouldn't be that into them.. Knowing that they could lose makes me so much more invested in the team. Really makes me appreciate the men's team even more.

I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Why is it that we are a nation of whiners?!?!?!?! I get that we complain when "your" team loses.....that's only natural. Because.....wait for it......wait for it.......the goal is for your team to win. When the dreaded day comes and Geno retires, and we move back to the pack........it's gonna suck! Then, you and every other whiner will have a legitimate reason to complain. Until then, sit back, shut up and root for the UConn Women's basketball team to break every record possible and to win **EVERY** game by the **LARGEST** amount possible.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Why is it that we are a nation of whiners?!?!?!?! I get that we complain when "your" team loses.....that's only natural. Because.....wait for it.wait for it..the goal is for your team to win. When the dreaded day comes and Geno retires, and we move back to the pack...it's gonna suck! Then, you and every other whiner will have a legitimate reason to complain. Until then, sit back, shut up and root for the UConn Women's basketball team to break every record possible and to win *EVERY* game by the *LARGEST* amount possible.

They still have records to break? Jk

Reaction Score
It's not even their fault, just wish there was more competition for them to play. It should be mandatory for the top 5 teams each year to
I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Why is it that we are a nation of whiners?!?!?!?! I get that we complain when "your" team loses.....that's only natural. Because.....wait for it.wait for it..the goal is for your team to win. When the dreaded day comes and Geno retires, and we move back to the pack...it's gonna suck! Then, you and every other whiner will have a legitimate reason to complain. Until then, sit back, shut up and root for the UConn Women's basketball team to break every record possible and to win *EVERY* game by the *LARGEST* amount possible.
Dude, I'm not whining. Just not as enjoyable. It's not even their fault. Just not enough good teams. Oh and by the way you're an idiot.

Reaction Score
Yikes, the guy makes a simple observation that he feels the game is more exciting when it isnt a forgone conclusion that the team you root for is going to annihilate the opponent by 30 points every night (pretty simple concept to understand) and you tell him to shut up, and go on a tirade about whining. Well played.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not even their fault, just wish there was more competition for them to play. It should be mandatory for the top 5 teams each year to

Dude, I'm not whining. Just not as enjoyable. It's not even their fault. Just not enough good teams. Oh and by the way you're an idiot.

They do (At least UConn does), but its a moving target. They beat #3 Stanford by 19, # 8 Maryland by 17, #13 Penn St. by 19, #2 Duke by 22, # 21 Cal by 33, #7 Baylor by (only) 11, and #23 Rutgers by 30. # 5 Louisville is coming up in a couple weeks but if the 2013 Championship game is any indication, they will win by at least 15.

UConn has the best women's basketball team in the nation and their subs are probably 2nd best. The walk-ons would probably be ranked as well just by virtue of practicing with the starters. It is what it is.

What you are say is perfectly understandable, though they are two different games. The men's game is more athletic and can be played above the rim. The women's game is more fundamental and requires a bit more precision. The men can sometimes make up for lack of fundamentals with athletic ability. Sometimes it's just what you find aesthetically pleasing. IMO, the Princeton Offense combines the two and I think it is really fun to watch.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Settle down, Beavis.

Reaction Score

I'd like to try the men being as dominating as the women for a few years to see if I like it.

Reaction Score

WTF why don't you relax……..he is just speaking honestly about the women's team and you attack him with this crap? Tell me something, did anything he write not make sense? They are so much better than 90% of their schedule it can't be fun to watch them play, it can't be unless you are Jack Cochran…….seriously if you're a fan of any sport it's a lot more fun to watch a game which will be close, to the wire and evenly matched. You win you deserve it……they win before the opening tip - that's fun? BS it is………

They're great no doubt. Geno'd great no doubt……doesn't mean it's fun for all fans to watch so just keep your BS to yourself and let people have opinions….or stay on the women's board please. Maybe you can tell KO how to teach the guys offense like the women's - smooth and precise!! LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Lighten up. If that's how he feels. that's how he feels, and he's not alone. I was at the Houston game and after a while, you would have been more entertained by a team scrimmage. I was at the Temple game, and at least Temple looked coached even though it was no contest, Last night, I thought Memphis was well-coached, just way over-matched. That was not a bad game to watch because they made our kids execute and did not just roll over. When I'm at a game and we are nearing up 25 in the first half, I welcome a few baskets by the other team (unless it's ND and then it would bother me not if we trounce them into oblivion). But everyone knows we are fortunate to have this coach and the teams he produces. and I don't think anyone needs to be reminded. I go to more men's games and they are usually much more competitive, even if it's a team they are likely to handle. Better players overall and much better coaching through the ranks, and basically more interesting when every possession is important. I'd bet if you talked to Geno, he'd say he isn't all that inspired by his team facing no resistance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I like the change of pace. After close men's victories or losses that cause the blood pressure to rise it's nice to give the heart a rest watching the UConn ladies play.:) That Baylor game was tense.

Reaction Score

Urine in your Cheerios this morning?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You want the men to he as dominant as the women? No problem. Just go out and sign four of the top eight national recruits..... every year.

Reaction Score
You want the men to he as dominant as the women? No problem. Just go out and sign four of the top eight national recruits..... every year.

Doesn't Kentucky do this? How does it work out for them?

The difference is that in the women's game there is a larger drop off in talent overall when one team signs 4 out of 8 and the other 6 in the top 10 get spread out to 6 different schools. In the men's game, you can have that happen but the overall talent pool is much, much deeper. I've seen several top girls hs basketball players in my area go on to play high d-1 ball and in most cases start, and they would not be in the rotation at UConn. It's just different.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it really is a shame that we can't all be winners. Let's just stop keeping score and give everyone a trophy so they go home feeling good about themselves. As long as the game is close and everyone has fun, winning and losing doesn't matter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I prefer the women's violent dismembering of their opponents to the water torture wins of the recent men's teams.

I like forgone conclusions and 40-point wins. Give me more of them.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I always watch the women too. I watch to see how close to perfect they can be. They have been really close. Boring is when they are not playing very crisply and they are still winning by 40.
They are, in the true sense of the word, awesome.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, it really is a shame that we can't all be winners. Let's just stop keeping score and give everyone a trophy so they go home feeling good about themselves. As long as the game is close and everyone has fun, winning and losing doesn't matter.

Of course, you draw the wrong conclusion. All of us want them to win every game. But going to Broadway plays when the the lines are all great, but they're supposed to be mysteries and you know the ending before the first act is over in every show is not what draws people in. Might as well go see lions devour Christians and admire their technique for ripping throats apart, because you know how the show will end every time.

The point is, too many games don't come close to showing how good they are because the other team is so overmatched. It isn't UConns fault, and they aren't so dominant that they win the NC every year. And it isn't about fairness to the losers, but they have very few games where they are pushed.

Reaction Score
I always watch the women too. I watch to see how close to perfect they can be. They have been really close. Boring is when they are not playing very crisply and they are still winning by 40.
They are, in the true sense of the word, awesome.

It is truly amazing to watch a team run their offense so crisply, against players who aren't half as athletic or competitive. Heck at times it's almost like running skeleton offense in practice, that has to be a blast. It's amazing how much tougher it is to look perfect against say, a Baylor who has the athletes? But heck that happens once or twice a year prior to the FF so the rest of the games you can totally enamor yourself with their perfection.

Listen I watch them too, sometimes, and root for them. But let's keep the holier than thou crap outta here - there is no comparison in the competition these 2 teams play night in-night out!

Reaction Score
I compare the women's team to Seinfeld.
I've seen each episode 20 times yet I still watch. I know what's coming, yet I still laugh. I'll still watch the women, even against some of the weaker AAC teams, knowing the outcome.

I enjoy watching greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis