Welcome Kaitlyn! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Welcome Kaitlyn!

Reaction Score
I think theres a better chance of Stewie getting another year of eligibility than Janiah Barker coming to UConn. I’d gladly eat my own words if it happens.
Seems as if you are in the know, and I certainly am not. So please elaborate, why do you think the probabilities are so low?

Reaction Score
Seems as if you are in the know, and I certainly am not. So please elaborate, why do you think the probabilities are so low?

I wouldn’t consider myself “in the know”, but Janiah has been very verbal (on multiple occasions) of her dislike of Geno and UConn. Could’ve been a result of Ayanna and Ice being recruited over her, I just personally can’t see either side being interested in one another at this point.

Again, I’d love to eat my own words because she has a pro-build and a pro-ready game and she’ll immediately make a title contender that much better.

Reaction Score
For what?
For feeling that she might be getting squeezed out. If I’m getting the minutes she got and now faced with this new addition, I’m saying yes, I need to get my butt in gear and work harder for minutes, but my initial reaction is getting pushed further down the bench.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t consider myself “in the know”, but Janiah has been very verbal (on multiple occasions) of her dislike of Geno and UConn. Could’ve been a result of Ayanna and Ice being recruited over her, I just personally can’t see either side being interested in one another at this point.

Again, I’d love to eat my own words because she has a pro-build and a pro-ready game and she’ll immediately make a title contender that much better.
Oh, okay, you definitely knew more than me! If she had on multiple occasions publicly expressed dislike of Geno and UConn basketball, regardless of her physical attributes, she doesn't seem like someone who would be in Storrs next season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaitlyn will be our most experienced player. She played 3 full seasons. Paige played parts of 3 seasons. Aubs played parts of 3 seasons. Caroline played parts of 3 seasons, I think. Azzi played parts of 3 seasons. Ice, Yanna, KK, Q, and Ash played 1 season. Jana, Sarah, Morgan, and Allie haven’t played yet.

Another plus about Kaitlyn is that she hasn’t been injured.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't see how Chen moves the needle for UConn. I don't like the fact that playing time for UConn's prized Freshman class will be reduced. Seems quite short sighted to me.
Yeah adding some established leadership to the mix will definitely harm the underclassmen. :rolleyes:
At first I had the same thoughts as you are expressing, but hopefully next season, especially before mid season, Paige won't have to be on the court 30+ minutes a game. Kaitlyn could help in this scenario.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kaitlyn will be our most experienced player. She played 3 full seasons. Paige played parts of 3 seasons. Aubs played parts of 3 seasons. Caroline played parts of 3 seasons, I think. Azzi played parts of 3 seasons. Ice, Yanna, KK, Q, and Ash played 1 season. Jana, Sarah, Morgan, and Allie haven’t played yet.

Caroline has played 54 games, about a year and a half worth.

Caroline stats.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For feeling that she might be getting squeezed out. If I’m getting the minutes she got and now faced with this new addition, I’m saying yes, I need to get my butt in gear and work harder for minutes, but my initial reaction is getting pushed further down the bench.
So here are my thoughts FWIW. And for the record, agree that she needs to work super hard over the summer and address the weaknesses in her game.

When you recruit a player like Paige, Azzi, Sarah (ie. very top tier recruit), it's not that you AREN'T going to recruit over them, it's that you CAN'T - they are so good that no matter who you get that plays the "same" position simply won't be better.

Any other player, even including the greats, know that PT is not guaranteed, that you need to work your butt off in practices, have a great attitude, be a team player, etc. in order to earn minutes. Then you need to play well in games. Some freshmen come in and are simply incredible (Maya and Paige, for example). Others, even great ones, take time to develop (Tina, for example).

Geno had no luxury of a variety of players off the bench. Ice and Q were it in big games. Both had plenty of chances. Both struggled. Ice got her chance in spades when Edwards was out 2 games in the BET, and she totally shined. FINALLY! But Q never really came into her own.

It's very rare, if ever, that a top recruit who is a starter for UConn transfers out. The best players stay, play, and have great careers. It's the ones who aren't quite up to snuff who decide they want to leave for a different opportunity, and those are the reserve or bench players.

So if Q works hard, becomes a starter or key reserve off the bench, that will be great. If not, then she will need to decide what to do. But if you look at the overwhelming majority of players who have transferred in the past, none of them were starters, and only a handful would have ever even been key reserves for UConn.

Reaction Score

Don't jinx her.

Reaction Score

This new addition won't effect her. Q is not a point guard.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Right now, every player on our roster is a very good player or prospect. The end of the bench next year will be, well, I don't know how to put it. Every player on the roster has a chance to contribute many minutes during a game. This is the one thing that I was worried about in the past if we had this kind of roster, but it never was an issue with all the injuries. I hope Geno and CD will talk to the players individually and explain the fact than they will be trying out for PT, and if they don't get much, she just has to tell them that we will probably lose as many as 5 players after this year. This will be an extremely tough decision by the staff if they want to get down to a playing 8 or 9 for the tournament. It's possible that just about all will see time during the BE season, as the conference will be very bad next year with the portal losses to Marquette and Villanova. I just pray that they all will see the Big Picture for next year and the year after. With these players the future is very bright for us, and I would feel very bad if the players don't see it the same way.

Reaction Score
100%, Qadence is a shooting guard, she doesn't play the point. She will however not only be up against Bueckers and Shade same as last year, but the team also has Fudd coming back, and they have added Ziebell to the roster. In essence, with or without Chen, Q has some work to do in order to get her playing time. She can do that by not only in improving her shooting, but also becoming more effective in her defense, and her rebounding; let's be honest, Q is extremely athletic, she can run, she can jump through the roof - she has all of that potential!

For next season, Chen is going to take away playing time from KK Arnold; KK is the player who is going to be affected by Kaitlyn joining the team. That said, 1) the team graduated out Nika Muhl, 2) Ines Bettencourt transferred out, 3) Kaitlyn is a graduate student who will only be with the team for one season, 4) the team will almost certainly look for Kelis Fisher, yet another Point Guard who will be a Freshman the following year, to push hard for Arnold's minutes.

This is big time collegiate sports. Nothing is (or should be) a freebee! Every player had better work hard for their spot and hopefully, coupled with natural ability, it is enough to get them into the game. For about half of the players, it will not be enough, period. Some will not like it but will stick in out. Others, will go play at Arkansas...

Reaction Score
I wish I could categorically state that the addition of another guard to the mix will not affect her. So, if Chen is the primary point guard and that pushes KK and Paige to the shooting guard or the three position, no effect on Q? The effect is not centered solely on PT but her psyche.

Reaction Score
Our girls are high end competitive athletes that look at getting more PT as a challenge!
Remember Caroline Doty started her senior year even though her knees made her skills a shadow of what they were, but Geno loved what energy CD brought to the game as a starter!
Cd wound up playing maybe 8 to 10 minutes a game while her substitutes played 20 to 25! So starting is overrated!
It may be more important to who FINISHES the game not who starts!

Reaction Score
Is Geno considering a five guard lineup. I'm sorry but as I remember the MAJORITY of our National Championship team had ladies like Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, and Breanna Stewart. The landscape had changed and I don't care how good our guard play is we cannot and will not win it all without at least one or two bigs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Total games played for all Huskies. Keep in mind the Ivies didn't play during the Covid season. A full season is about 35 games for most teams.

View attachment 100282

Ok, I misremembered about Aubs, but Kaitlyn is second—more games than our 2x All-American, almost as many games as Azzi and Caroline combined.

Reaction Score
UConn has won 11 national championships. During every one of those championships the Huskies have started at least one player, typically an AA, who was 6’4” or greater. On several teams, UConn had multiple BIGS: Rebecca/Kara, Stef & Stewie, etc.

I still remember watching Geno sub in Kiah Stokes to play with Stef & Stewie. Opposing teams struggled to get off a shot within 15’ of the basket or come close to getting a rebound. While size is not everything, having talented Bigs on the court can be a significant edge.
Thanks for reminding posters of this--some seem to think that UConn has always played with just guards running around the perimeter hitting 3s. Last time I looked, basketball is still a vertical game --No, size alone isn't everything, but as you said, having talented size is...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom