We need to OWN the GARDEN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We need to OWN the GARDEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The median household income in Ames IA is $36,000. Tickets for the weekend are minimum $500, hotels for two nights another $300 and flights are minimum $600. so fans would have to spend about 5% of their average after-tax income on average to go to MSG.
Silly post Kevin.

First of all, alums are going to be significantly higher than a general farming population.

Additionaly, Ames sits in Story County - average household income of $48,000.

Unless you were just trying to be funny posting about midwestern hicks - then I'm right there with you.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we will have a great showing, I have no doubt, but it will be no means a home game.

Were we to make it to Sunday, then our advantage will grow, I believe, because our fans can come in on the train for the afternoon on short notice.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
jleves said:
All the top BIG teams travel well - MSU, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, etc all travel ridiculously well. In 05 I went to the Maui Invitational with some friends who all come from Wisconsin. After the bball tourney we went to Honolulu to see Wisconsin play Hawaii in football - a regular season game and the place looked to be about 50% Wisconsin fans. They have huge Wisconsin alum pregame events and such. Amazing how well they travel. It's a culture UConn really needs to show in NYC this coming weekend. We really need to show how much we're willing to support our teams.

Our showing in buffalo was frankly pathetic.

Reaction Score
It's impossible to take over the garden for the sweet 16 with a lineup of Uconn, Mich St, Iowa, and UVA. Each team will sell out there allotment and bring some additional fans. Now, I do expect Uconn to have a very good walk-up showing, and should have the largest % of fans. Make it to the elite 8, and the advantage will greatly increase in our favor. Uconn fans love a big event. Anyone who was at the 2011 BET will tell you how overwhelming the Uconn fans were in that game.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Yeah I did too and we were really outnumbered

I was there also and I don't recall it being as one-sided as you suggest. I remember there was discussion after that game, and many felt that it seemed like there were more Indiana fans because they all wear their team colors, whereas UConn fans wear whatever the hell we want. But it got loud both ways and we had the final cheer.

Reaction Score
I was there also and I don't recall it being as one-sided as you suggest. I remember there was discussion after that game, and many felt that it seemed like there were more Indiana fans because they all wear their team colors, whereas UConn fans wear whatever the hell we want. But it got loud both ways and we had the final cheer.

It was pretty even. I'd give a slight edge to IU, but not by much. Those early season games never draw well unless UK is playing.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Ok, so please no excuses. Do whatever it takes to be there Friday night. Mike Francessa said it will be crazy there. It's been 63 years since MSG has hosted an NCAA game and now the stars have aligned with the mis-seeding by the selection committee, and the excellent first two wins by the UConn team, the team is back and for the first time ever playing an NCAA game in MSG - "our backyard". Do we need to summon MakersMuppet?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have fun at MSG. Wish I could go. Going to college hockey regional in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Ok, so please no excuses. Do whatever it takes to be there Friday night. Mike Francessa said it will be crazy there. It's been 63 years since MSG has hosted an NCAA game and now the stars have aligned with the mis-seeding by the selection committee, and the excellent first two wins by the UConn team, the team is back and for the first time ever playing an NCAA game in MSG - "our backyard". Do we need to summon MakersMuppet?

I mean... to be fair, not everybody has that kind of disposable income. It's all well and good to say "do whatever it takes," but some of those tickets are going for over 3K. This is not a game for the common man.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I mean... to be fair, not everybody has that kind of disposable income. It's all well and good to say "do whatever it takes," but some of those tickets are going for over 3K. This is not a game for the common man.

Ok, but no need to go for the crazy priced tickets, there are better deals. And if CT folks (or NYC based alumni) cannot afford them who can?

Reaction Score
Ok, but no need to go for the crazy priced tickets, there are better deals. And if CT folks (or NYC based alumni) cannot afford them who can?

People with more money. I can personally afford it, but most of my friends simply cannot justify spending 300+ on a ticket to a basketball game. I don't think they're lesser fans for it. People have to live within their means.

Reaction Score
We're spoiled. Our athletics are not a lifestyle tradition as much as it is for B1G fans right now. I do see that day coming, though.

There was 1 Ohio State fan in Buffalo last week. Just saw one of them. That's it. 300 miles away is Columbus, and the state of Ohio. Cleveland to Buffalo is 180 miles, under 3 hours. Conn. is 400 miles away.

Reaction Score
We're spoiled. Our athletics are not a lifestyle tradition as much as it is for B1G fans right now. I do see that day coming, though.
Agreed. Sustained excellence for a while, especially if you are on campus during that time frame, can do it. UConn is a relatively small school--especially compared to the B1G schools, so there are just fewer die-hard alums, and a lot more casual fans. Casual fans tend to be fickle, the alums, notsomuch.

Give it a little more time--and some football success--and we'll be up there just fine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Our showing in buffalo was frankly pathetic.
It sounded pretty strong on TV. Definitely sounded like a UConn crowd, cheering when we made good plays, chanting when we were on D, chanting "MSG" in the closing moments.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BTW, shouldn't we "pwn" the Garden?

Reaction Score
It sounded pretty strong on TV. Definitely sounded like a UConn crowd, cheering when we made good plays, chanting when we were on D, chanting "MSG" in the closing moments.

The Buffalo arena had about 16 sections, with 3 levels, the mezzanine being small. UConn filled almost the lower bowl of one section, then had a smattering of fans throughout. Say 15 in each of the other sections.

Syracuse was all over and dominated.

Dayton was next best, filled its entire section plus the 300 level of that section.

UConn did better than the rest, but St. Joseph's was close behind.

Villanova was 5th best, and I saw barely any Ohio St., W Michigan or Milwaukee.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Sustained excellence for a while, especially if you are on campus during that time frame, can do it. UConn is a relatively small school--especially compared to the B1G schools, so there are just fewer die-hard alums, and a lot more casual fans. Casual fans tend to be fickle, the alums, notsomuch.

Give it a little more time--and some football success--and we'll be up there just fine.
Dude, when I was there in the mid-90s, before we even won a a championship in men's bball and the place looked North Korean, we were spoiled. I walked by the old Co-op, was asked by a TV newsman stationed there, where's the excitement? I replied, we're playing Colgate! He we waved me over, put me in front of a camera and asked me the same question again.

Later that evening, watching the news, UConn's upcoming tournament game's coverage comes up. They question our excitement for the game. Then the anchor goes, "As Butch said...." My pimple-covered face with long hair coming out under the back of my hat comes on the screen, "We're playing Colgate!"

I was immediately celebrating in the dorm hallway. When Calhoun got this thing going, no one on campus cared for first round games. The fanbase has kind of become like Allen Iverson. "Practice?? We're talking about practice, man. Practice!!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Things are getting serious. I think there is a buzz about this team. UConn turnout will be pretty astronomical. Whoever said that on twitter will eat their words.

Reaction Score
Tcf's next video needs to be a variety of UConn MSG highlights with the song "I Run New York" by 50 playing in the background. I think it's perfect especially since he mentions, "He lives in CT but he runs New York"

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie just tweeted
"It's no better place to plant Seeds then in a Garden!! Can't wait to See and Here the UConn Family in MSG on Friday.. #10toesin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom