We need some NASTY on this team | The Boneyard

We need some NASTY on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

This team especially our guards need to show some confidence, swagger, aggressiveness and some nastiness on the court. I want to see more aggression from D-Ham and Purvis. Nobody is playing like they have a chip on their shoulder. That's when UCONN is at its best.

Also, I want to see Adams and Purvis as well as Hamilton dunk the ball like Jeremy Lamb or Ben Gordon or Stanley Robinson or Ryan Boatright used to do. Those type of plays are team-boosters that gets everybody's confidence up. Jalen and Rodney as well as Hamilton have the hops. We need to see it on full display on run-outs. They need to send a message with those plays. Boatright and Stanley were masters of this. This helps guys pick up their defensive intensity as well.

Reaction Score
I sense some of that from Facey. He's been playing this season as if he's mad about Miller supplanting him in the starting lineup. We just need him to get better on defense.

H

huskymagic

Adrien mean with the kea attitude

Yes. Jim Calhoun was a master at this. He purposely recruited guards with a chip on their shoulder with a swagger. All of our best guards KEA, AJ Prices, Marcus, Kemba, Shabazz, Boat, had a toughness, a swagger, and an
attitude that Calhoun encouraged on the court. He commanded everyone's respect with his authority and quick leash if you messed up on the court. I think Kevin Ollie needs to start doing the same. Our guys need to send a message on the court, like Boat did, like Stanley did, like Kemba did to Peyton Siva in the Big East title game.

I want to see Jalen Adams, Rodney, and D-Ham start dunking with authority on fast breaks. They should be encouraged to do that by KO. Brimah already does this well.

Reaction Score
Yes. Jim Calhoun was a master at this. He purposely recruited guards with a chip on their shoulder with a swagger. All of our best guards KEA, AJ Prices, Marcus, Kemba, Shabazz, Boat, had a toughness, a swagger, and an
attitude that Calhoun encouraged on the court. He commanded everyone's respect with his authority and quick leash if you messed up on the court. I think Kevin Ollie needs to start doing the same. Our guys need to send a message on the court, like Boat did, like Stanley did, like Kemba did to Peyton Siva in the Big East title game.

I want to see Jalen Adams, Rodney, and D-Ham start dunking with authority on fast breaks. They should be encouraged to do that by KO. Brimah already does this well.

Yeah dunks will help propel this team to elite status no doubt. If they make lay ups we suck, dunks are a must!:confused: God are you a dope

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hamilton has almost negative swagger.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see more layups actually laid in, less Miller standing 25' from the basket, more Enoch, less Nolan and more Brimah not being blasted off his feet after contact with people half-a-foot shorter.

I think we've now seen that the 6'6" Miller can score against trees and there will be lesser forests from here on in than Gonzaga so running some plays with him seeing the ball on the low post should now happen a lot more - I would hope. And Enoch? YES

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah dunks will help propel this team to elite status no doubt. If they make lay ups we suck, dunks are a must!:confused: God are you a dope

Is it bad to say that I'd prefer them all to flush it? Especially Rodney, as he's more than capable.

H

huskymagic

Peak.

Cool stuff ghostbusters. Your right though I want to see some peaking from the guards. No more slumping the shoulders and playing too nice. We need some aggression and swagger out there. Boatright had it from day 1 on offense and defense. Hamilton and Adams and Purvis need to start sending messages out there with their body language and their plays. You know how to finish layups::: by dunking the ball to make sure it goes through the hoop. Calhoun encouraged this on the court we need more of the same. If D-Ham wants to be the Alpha on this team which he is capable of along with Adams, he needs to start showing he's boss out there. Dunk with authority. Man up on defense with a purpose. Body language and body posture needs to be better. Sterling Gibbs as well. He needs to play with some enthusiasm and energy on the court.

H

huskymagic

Is it bad to say that I'd prefer them all to flush it? Especially Rodney, as he's more than capable.

Intl if Rodney goes to the rack looking to dunk the ball everytime he wouldn't be so abysmal at finishing at the basket. Boatright who was 5'9 always looked to dunk when open as did Jeremy or Dyson or Gordon. The mental aspect of the game is where our problems really are because our talent and the pieces are there to be extremely successful. Hamilton, Adams, and Purvis are three guys that always should finish with authority in the open court and get the crowd involved. Psychologically this has a huge impact. It's not only about X's and O's. That is my point, we don't need to see any of that weak stuff if your capable of dunking. Our guards are missing this aspect so far. Other teams need to get a taste of UCONN on the court.

Reaction Score
Cool stuff ghostbusters. Your right though I want to see some peaking from the guards. No more slumping the shoulders and playing too nice. We need some aggression and swagger out there. Boatright had it from day 1 on offense and defense. Hamilton and Adams and Purvis need to start sending messages out there with their body language and their plays. You know how to finish layups::: by dunking the ball to make sure it goes through the hoop. Calhoun encouraged this on the court we need more of the same. If D-Ham wants to be the Alpha on this team which he is capable of along with Adams, he needs to start showing he's boss out there. Dunk with authority. Man up on defense with a purpose. Body language and body posture needs to be better. Sterling Gibbs as well. He needs to play with some enthusiasm and energy on the court.

Yep dunk or nothing. No more shooting the ball just DUNK dammit. How dare we try to lay it up and in anymore when very guy and every other team dunks every shot. It's time to change the dynamic at UConn, dunk like Shabazz for crying out loud. Let's go.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

DUNK DUNK DUNK
Yep that's why UConn lost - lack of dunking
If they dunk then the perimeter defense will be better
If they dunk their outside shooting will automatically get better
DHam is ineffective because he doesn't scowl and get in peoples faces
Damn, after watching CBB for almost 53 years, I'm glad Ive seen the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think this is what Ollie was alluding to when he talked about finding a go to guy that can take charge. All of our best teams had a dominant personality(KEA, BG/Okafor, Kemba, Shabazz). Who is that guy this year? This team is still finding their roles and feeling out where they fit best. We may struggle some early but I see this team growing as the season moves forward. I am going to focus on the positives....a couple missed layups go our way and the cuse game is different and we went down to a top 10 team by 21 and fought back to almost pull it off.

Let this team continue to learn their roles and they will be fine. Unfortunately these losses do put a lot of pressure on the next "big" games coming up(Maryland, Ohio St, Texas)

Reaction Score
I would be straight pumped to see Gibbs hit a layup. Adams keeps pulling up for these floaters one of these times hopefully he just takes off and flushes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom