Watching Tennessee and Oregon State is like watching a PAC12 game... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Watching Tennessee and Oregon State is like watching a PAC12 game...

Reaction Score
Ah, em old enemy of my enemy is my friend theory...I like it ;)

@cbraarj You need to rethink your absolutism of a statement that the 24 Girls selected as McDonalds AA don’t mean anything in D1 basketball as literally every D1 coach would disagree with you. These teams make up the majority of the USA Basketball Team Pools for all the junior teams and is why the top 6-9 programs put their efforts. It is what you do with that talent that will determine how successful you can be. Congrats to OSU but his days in this tournament are numbered either by Baylor or by Louisville as their talent plus coaching will doom him.
Hmmmmmm

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Lady Vol Post Game Press Conference:

That was hard to watch! Hate to see that for Russell and Nared. Russell was the #1 one player coming out of her class. My oh my what could have been if they would had stayed home. Both are wonderful young ladies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not gonna watch the Tennessee presser, I don't enjoy the agony of defeat part. Enjoyed the OSU session though. Coach Rueck and his players are just so likeable.

Reaction Score
The thing about this game was it was not a stunner.

Maybe not even an upset...Sagarin and Massey both had it as a virtual tossup...the former giving a very slight edge to UT and the latter had OSU as a very slight favorite.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hmmmmmm
Lots- my response was to Cbraa that getting top talent is defined by McDonalds AA AND is also developed. I did not mean any disrespect to the OSU program. Scott Rueck is a Great Coach and a class act (people should watch today’s presser) and a guy easy to root for which I always do. I picked OSU to beat Tenn. That said, this team is young and a bit short on the talent level (height, speed, quickness, athleticism) when compared to the 3 other teams left in this bracket. While Tenn had better talent, their handicap was they aren’t coached and have not improved, as well as couldnt make adjustments against your zone. That’s on the Tenn coaching staff and an absolute credit to OSU players and their coaching staff. Now keep it up and knock off Baylor!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I watched the Holly presser and I know some are showing empathy for her but I am highly irritated as quite a few items become crystallized for me:
1. Holly is very nice, committed to the Lady Vols but she acts more like the kind grandmother, who dotes and loves the kids, wanting someone else to teach the hard lessons to them. The stress is evident in every press conference, her lack of authority to command the program says she is not cut out to be a head coach.

2. She needs to ACT like a head coach and not cry at press conferences. You can’t make a statement like “I’m a fighter” while crying. Her voice was quivering for the whole presser. It’s basketball game that you just lost, not someone’s death. You want to cry when discussing Russell and Nared as their last game, fine, but compose yourself before and after. This happens at far too many of these for her and it is unbecoming.

3. You can’t say you earned the #3 seed one minute and then say you had some bad losses the next minute. And then get defensive over criticism about being a #3 seed in the 3rd minute. Yes, you earned the #3 seed, why mention it all?

4.To bring up the negativity that the program is receiving as well the criticism the the players themselves at this presser as an example to point out how “resilient” the kids are is absurd. Address the negativity to the fans and state if the team underachieves, it is not on the players but on you.

5.It really is time to retire and take on a role more suited to her subdued and emotional and caring personality.

Reaction Score
Not gonna watch the Tennessee presser, I don't enjoy the agony of defeat part. Enjoyed the OSU session though. Coach Rueck and his players are just so likeable.
When it's Tennessee, I REALLY enjoy that part. But not enough to switch to a device where I could actually hear that presser. Sounded like Same-O/Same-O from what I could pick up. Watching them go down in Round 2 in Thompson-Boling was good enough. Now I'm an Oregon State fan - Go Beavs!!

Reaction Score
Maybe not even an upset...Sagarin and Massey both had it as a virtual tossup...the former giving a very slight edge to UT and the latter had OSU as a very slight favorite.
Reason it was a tossup was the coaching edge Oreg State enjoyed. How many MCDONALD AA’s does Tenn have to Or State? Holly bless her heart said it all when she said Russell and Nared took a chance on her.

Reaction Score
I agree with your sentiment 100%, although they do have some MDAA's on their team. Far fewer that Tenn though. But I agree. If watching Mercedes Russell's tears at the end of that game didn't move you, well, you're one stone hearted person. Her and Jaime are 2 fine young women, and Russell saved her best game of the year for the last.

For me the outcome wasn't expected. I predicted earlier in the year that Tenn would lose in the second round to a far less talented but disciplined team, and it proved true. It seems the Pac 12 once again this year will prove itself to be at least the second best conference in WCBB. And congrats to one of my very favorite coaches in CBB, Scott Rueck for continuing to build a culture of excellence there.
Sorry these players are responsible for choosing Tenn. Any players deserve what they get at Tenn if they can’t figure out they won’t be coached once they get there. Nared and Russell both underachieved during their career. I didn’t think Nared was consistent this year. Russell finally played with some intensity. She had a nice game. Nared is way too laid back.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry these players are responsible for choosing Tenn. Any players deserve what they get at Tenn if they can’t figure out they won’t be coached once they get there. Nared and Russell both underachieved during their career. I didn’t think Nared was consistent this year. Russell finally played with some intensity. She had a nice game. Nared is way too laid back.
Yep. Those 15, 16 years and 17 olds deserve to suffer for their poor decision making. Maybe we should bring every one of them who made a bad college decision out back and flog them. Or maybe Nared and Russell should have just transferred to another program instead of trying to stick it out and make it work. Everyone else seems to be doing it. In fact, let's go back in time and punish you for the mistakes you made at that age. Serve you right.

Reaction Score
Yep. Those 15, 16 years and 17 olds deserve to suffer for their poor decision making. Maybe we should bring every one of them who made a bad college decision out back and flog them. Or maybe Nared and Russell should have just transferred to another program instead of trying to stick it out and make it work. Everyone else seems to be doing it. In fact, let's go back in time and punish you for the mistakes you made at that age. Serve you right.
Play for Holly and suffer the consequences. That’s reality. She’s bad for WBB and holding Tenn back and the worst with player development. You have no chance to be coached to your potential. Izzy Harrison has turned into a nice player though. I like her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, em old enemy of my enemy is my friend theory...I like it ;)

@cbraarj You need to rethink your absolutism of a statement that the 24 Girls selected as McDonalds AA don’t mean anything in D1 basketball as literally every D1 coach would disagree with you. These teams make up the majority of the USA Basketball Team Pools for all the junior teams and is why the top 6-9 programs put their efforts. It is what you do with that talent that will determine how successful you can be. Congrats to OSU but his days in this tournament are numbered either by Baylor or by Louisville as their talent plus coaching will doom him.
No I dont because that award means nothing as far as playing in college is concerned! It does not mean they will be successful at the college level now is it? OSU isnt out yet...they made FF in 2016 and who did they beat to get there, Baylor!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Absolutely thrilled Tenn went down. Listening to Lockwood whine that "No way was Oregon State a 6 seed. If they are a 6 seed, I'd love to see what the 1-5 seeds are"... Waah waah waah. And the great thing is that Nared and Russell were the best 2 players on the team. Losing them will result in a step backwards next season.

I don't know how happy the non-seniors are on the team, but Russell and Westbrook have to look at the 2 Oregon programs that are both better than Tenn right now, especially Oregon, and wonder "did I make the right decision???"

Reaction Score

I understand your point that young players shouldn't be criticized for the programs they choose but that said their decisions were not made in a vacuum................they had parents and coaches who gave their input and they had ample evidence that illustrated the coaching at Tennessee would not improve their individual games and would prevent them from coming close to winning a national championship..........the good news is that come June there maybe new transfer rules which will allow them to have a second opportunity to pick a better program should they choose to do so without them sitting out a year.................

Reaction Score
Lots- my response was to Cbraa that getting top talent is defined by McDonalds AA AND is also developed. I did not mean any disrespect to the OSU program. Scott Rueck is a Great Coach and a class act (people should watch today’s presser) and a guy easy to root for which I always do. I picked OSU to beat Tenn. That said, this team is young and a bit short on the talent level (height, speed, quickness, athleticism) when compared to the 3 other teams left in this bracket. While Tenn had better talent, their handicap was they aren’t coached and have not improved, as well as couldnt make adjustments against your zone. That’s on the Tenn coaching staff and an absolute credit to OSU players and their coaching staff. Now keep it up and knock off Baylor!
Defense BB. How many Mcds AAs from this class of graduating Srs have been named AA this year?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“Pouty” faces? A bit harsh, no? The kids tried hard and lost. It’s not their fault Holly can’t coach them properly. None of the players in Tennessee jerseys had anything to do with the UConn-Tenn rivalry; not sure what they’ve done to warrant this comment.
They chose Tennessee. That in itself is enough.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep. Those 15, 16 years and 17 olds deserve to suffer for their poor decision making.
For choosing TN, absolutely.

Maybe we should bring every one of them who made a bad college decision out back and flog them.
Nah, I think playing for TN and Warlick is punishment enough.

Or maybe Nared and Russell should have just transferred to another program instead of trying to stick it out and make it work. Everyone else seems to be doing it.
Probably would have been a smart choice for them. At least from a basketball perspective. Depends on where they would have transferred. But if they would have gotten to a place with better coaching and a better chance at winning...probably not a bad idea.

In fact, let's go back in time and punish you for the mistakes you made at that age. Serve you right.
Ummm, I don't believe shizam chose TN.

There's making mistakes and poor choices, and then there's choosing TN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are not AAs when they step on a WCBB court now are they?
Yes, yes they are. They will always be McD AA's, for the rest of their lives. Just underachieving ones.

I was once an McDonald's All-American, now I work at one. Do you want to supersize that? :D:oops::rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom