Watching Baylor vs Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Watching Baylor vs Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UT"s offensive problem was Baylor" defense last night.

Baylor has an incredible post rotation that will only get better with Cox joining Davis, Brown and Mompremier. Cave is likely the odd-player out next season based on the glimpses I've seen of Cox. She adds a face-up game that the current players don't. And Wallace is getting better and better and will team with Prince, Johnson and Chou plus incoming PG Landrum. Hopefully Gulley will return healthy. Teams better be ready when they take the floor with Baylor next year!

I thought Niya Johnson was a senior this year. Or is there another Johnson?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
C'mon now, lets give the pro-BU posting its due. I also have watched Baylor this season, and I think that they may be one of a very small cadre of teams that -could- give UConn a tough night. Probably won't, but they could.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Mulkey on the sidelines since Griner graduated... do they have any games on National TV

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Baylor is capable. But Stewart creates match up
problems like no other player in the country. One on one she'll kill you. Double or triple team her and there are four other players on the floor who can beat you. The only way a team can beat UConn is defend as well as they do, which Stewart makes hard to do. Not impossible, but hard.

Reaction Score
I am pointing out the fact that the "Baylor has a weak non-conference schedule" theme has proven to be a non-factor, yet some want to continue to hold onto that argument. Mulkey got her team ready her way, and it has worked. Give the woman the credit she is due.
Why then do they have a crème puff schedule and why have they been ducking us and other top schools for years?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And she lost to Notre Dame because they had more talent. That is usually who wins games, the team with the most talent.
When was the last time that Notre Dame won a championship? I guess McGraw doesn't know how to get her team ready, either.
In 2001. Notre Dame is currently on a streak of 5 consecutive Final Fours and has played for the championship 4 of the last 5 years.

That "most talent" statement is laughable, and I think you know it. It takes more than just talent to win games - ask Tennessee and Duke.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why then do they have a crème puff schedule and why have they been ducking us and other top schools for years?

Cream puff? Baylor has played 15 games vs. the RPI top 50, more than any other team. To be sure, 10 of those games were the home-and-away series vs. the other 5 Big 12 teams in the top 50. But Baylor also had 5 nonconference games vs. top-50 teams.

Is it fair to criticize Mulkey for not scheduling any "marquee" nonconference matchups against other top-10 teams? Sure. But that's different than cream-puff status. Texas, Maryland and Oregon State each played much weaker NC schedules as a whole.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Plebe - quite correct. The previous two years were pretty dreadful, but Baylor upped their OOC this year to include DePaul and USF, MSU and Miami all teams that are ranked this year around 20. As you say not top 10 but top 25. There was actually a thread on the Baylor site complaining about uncompetitive home games and flagging attendance and there were some pretty dreadful 'other' teams on the schedule - 10 teams above 150 including 5 teams above 200 (two of those were in conference} and all of those were at home except for the conference away game. But for a team like Baylor it really doesn't matter if the team is ranked 75 or 250, they are not going to pose any serious problem.

NB: The Baylor site has a thread that is maintained all year that records all the Baylor games to date and the next few upcoming games with the opponent ranking (constantly updated) and the Sagarin ratings for all the conference teams and their SOS. It is a really neat thread, and gives a nice reference point for comparisons.

Reaction Score

Stevie, the same reason Duke, Ville and other top schools did not have UConn on their schedule, but get in .ineto play us next year. Give credit to the schools that Did play us this year, SC,MD, I'm sure I have forgotten some.

Reaction Score
Cream puff? Baylor has played 15 games vs. the RPI top 50, more than any other team. To be sure, 10 of those games were the home-and-away series vs. the other 5 Big 12 teams in the top 50. But Baylor also had 5 nonconference games vs. top-50 teams.

Is it fair to criticize Mulkey for not scheduling any "marquee" nonconference matchups against other top-10 teams? Sure. But that's different than cream-puff status. Texas, Maryland and Oregon State each played much weaker NC schedules as a whole.
Top 50, WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle