Warde Still Fighting To Get UConn Into 2013 BET (Katz) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Still Fighting To Get UConn Into 2013 BET (Katz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think they really have to protect themselves against something that has never happened before? AND has a very low probability of ever happening? Do you really think the BE powers that be have to guard against the chance that PC/SJU/SHU/DePaul might win BET this year?

They may have other reasons to keep UConn out of the BET, but this is not one of them.

Fine, let's phrase it another way: Every game that Uconn wins in this year's BET is bad for the Big East. If, say, Pitt is on the bubble and we beat them, nobody wins. If Pitt loses to another bubble team instead of us, at least that other bubble team adds another decent win to their resume.

And regarding the original point, no team had ever won 5 games in 5 days either. And then it happened.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Voting on this year's basketball operations is separated from long term matters. Departing schools don't have a say in the latter. They are not excluded from the former (UConn, Cincy and USF can't decide they only play home games unilaterally.)
Irony is the entire issue of the ban was an implementation of a rule that considered indiscretions of apr problems preceding the creation of the policy. Personally I think this was the wrong! S*cks that UConn has no leverage!

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Fine, let's phrase it another way: Every game that Uconn wins in this year's BET is bad for the Big East. If, say, Pitt is on the bubble and we beat them, nobody wins. If Pitt loses to another bubble team instead of us, at least that other bubble team adds another decent win to their resume.

I don't disagree with this. My point was that possibly losing auto-bid (and presumably therefore a slot for another BE team) as the reason we wouldn't be allowed is disingenuous and baseless.

And regarding the original point, no team had ever won 5 games in 5 days either. And then it happened.

What is more likely...
A) a team above the bubble, with number of high quality wins throughout the season, wins 5 games in 5 days against similar competition

OR

B) a team well below the bubble wins 5 games in 5 days against teams they are outclassed by.

Reaction Score

So, you're saying that every win in this year's BET, unless it's against Cincy, is good for the BE.

Reaction Score
My house is made of wood and I have fire in my house, therefore I have fire insurance. My house is not insured (that I know of) against being sucked up by an alien space ship.

As I said good thing you do not work in insurance or as an attorney, or for that matter as an engineer or architect. Stick to flipping burgers.

Too say it cannot happen, a team off the bubble winning the BET, is just plain stupid.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

What if Pitt or somebody Needs to face One more Top opponent to add to their resume? A ranked UConn could actually help a bubble teams resume. Teams can easily run out of Quality "chances". Nobody ever looks at that side of the equation.

Reaction Score
What if Pitt or somebody Needs to face One more Top opponent to add to their resume? A ranked UConn could actually help a bubble teams resume. Teams can easily run out of Quality "chances". Nobody ever looks at that side of the equation.
The one and only reason we are not in the BET is because of the auto bid, the BE cannot have the auto bid go to someone who in ineligible.

You cannot give it to the runner up, it is an NCAA rule that the conference tourney winner gets the auto bid, not a BE rule, so the NCAA would not have to give the auto bid to the runner up and the BE risks losing their auto bid for the year.

There is no reason for the BE to risk it, without UConn people will still watch, go the games, and advertise during the games and at the arena.

Reaction Score
It depends on the by-laws. The vote to ban UConn from the BET took place in May. We know that the rules can't be voted on by members who announced intentions to leave. So, who knows who has the authority here.
Interesting thought. There must be some prodedurel or legal way Uconn can challange this.

AtlHusky

Reaction Score
The one and only reason we are not in the BET is because of the auto bid, the BE cannot have the auto bid go to someone who in ineligible.

You cannot give it to the runner up, it is an NCAA rule that the conference tourney winner gets the auto bid, not a BE rule, so the NCAA would not have to give the auto bid to the runner up and the BE risks losing their auto bid for the year.

There is no reason for the BE to risk it, without UConn people will still watch, go the games, and advertise during the games and at the arena.

And as I pointed out, this is BS. If the auto-bid was won by an ineligible team, it wouldn't change the number of BE teams making the tourney.

Reaction Score
And as I pointed out, this is BS. If the auto-bid was won by an ineligible team, it wouldn't change the number of BE teams making the tourney.

Man you are dense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As I said good thing you do not work in insurance or as an attorney, or for that matter as an engineer or architect. Stick to flipping burgers.

Too say it cannot happen, a team off the bubble winning the BET, is just plain stupid.
If you need to make a personal attack to make your point, you do not have one.

Reaction Score
The fear of losing the automatic tournament bid is bogus. Has any team that was perceived to be on the outside of the tournament looking in ever won? This isn't the Atlantic 10.

Reaction Score
The fear of losing the automatic tournament bid is bogus. Has any team that was perceived to be on the outside of the tournament looking in ever won? This isn't the Atlantic 10.
It has happened twice the PAC 12 recently, happened in the Sec with UGA recently, a couple teams in the ACC and big 10 have made it to the finals, but you are right it couldn't happen in the big east, there is a 0 chance of it. No point in protecting itself. Jeez it is really simple I cannot believe some people just don't get it.

Reaction Score
It has happened twice the PAC 12 recently, happened in the Sec with UGA recently, a couple teams in the ACC and big 10 have made it to the finals, but you are right it couldn't happen in the big east, there is a 0 chance of it. No point in protecting itself. Jeez it is really simple I cannot believe some people just don't get it.

Nobody's beating Louisville, best team in the country.

Also unlike other conferences, a Big East team on the outside looking in would need to win 5 in 5 days. The idea that a Big East team that sucks in the regular season is going to rip off 5 in a row against top competition is a dream that only exists in your head.

Reaction Score

Pitt leaving to go to the ACC is worse

Reaction Score
Nobody's beating Louisville, best team in the country.

Also unlike other conferences, a Big East team on the outside looking in would need to win 5 in 5 days. The idea that a Big East team that sucks in the regular season is going to rip off 5 in a row against top competition is a dream that only exists in your head.
Not true there have been teams that have finished in the the top 8 that needed to win it to get in, providence a few years ago is one, but keep trying.

Again just cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it cannot and the big east would be morons to not protect themselves.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

Rules are meant to be broken. I am sure it wouldn't mess anything up if the NCAA made an exception and gave the automatic bid to the runner up.

Reaction Score
One would think the reward of higher TV ratings, fan attendance, and name brand recognition (not to mention the sentimental aspect of having one of your flagship programs involved in the last BET) would outweigh the miniscual risk of DePaul or Seton Hall winning five games in five days against teams that are better than them.

The last two seasons you have had UConn/Pitt and UConn/Cuse as 12:00 quarterfinal matchups. These are the games people blow off work for. You're not going to get that if Louisville is favored by 45 against Providence.

AtlHusky

Reaction Score
Not true there have been teams that have finished in the the top 8 that needed to win it to get in, providence a few years ago is one...

And they were promptly trounced by the one seed on Thursday. This is the Big East were talking about, not a crappy Pac12 or SEC or top-heavy ACC. Quality teams go deep in the standings EVERY year (used to anyway).

That said, PC was 18-12 going in to the BET as an 8 seed with regular season wins over #1 Pitt and a top 20 'Cuse team. If they went on to win 3, they would have picked up two more top 10 wins before reaching the final against 'Cuse. Lets say 'Cuse was ineligible for the NCAA, but beat PC in this far-fetched scenario. PC is now 21-13 with a 3 top 10 wins and runner-up in the BET. My money says they get in looking at who was on the right side of the bubble on selection Sunday.

You can say all you want that it might happen and maybe it could. But it just wont and therefore you don't make decisions based on it.

(BTW, this is how you reply without personal attacks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom