Warde & Herbst Legacy | The Boneyard

Warde & Herbst Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since Lou left we have not had an AD. Pres Herbst is preportedly a very effective salesperson with ACC contacts. Neither AD Manuel or our Pres has positioned us well.
Coach Ollie can't get the recruits he and his staff desire.
We have a football coach who should replace McHugh as a fund raiser or perhaps Mchugh should take the job. We know he can coach.
If the ACC bypasses us this time they will have established their legacy. They will bear the brunt of the responsibility. I have enjoyed too many years of University and Athletic growth to watch either of them fiddling, its time for their A game!

Reaction Score
Warde nor Susan have been here long enough to bear the brunt of the mess they are trying to clean up. They have done faboulous in such a short time. McHuge is mainly responsible for the PP hire and you want him to take over? He has not coached in over 50 years.
They have raised more $$$$ in months than the past administrations did in years...........

Reaction Score
Woof, woof, I wasn't blaming them for where we are at although a case on Warde's decisiveness might be applicable. I was saying this is their moment, it will likely define them, they need to sieze the moment. I played for McHuge and he was. My point was Pas is good with people and coaches in the state. Let him handle that role where he has been impressive. He certainly hasn't been impressive on the field and this is a bad time to be be an unimpressive football program. If you are going to address my post, please address my actual post.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they are fiddling. But it would be nice to see some sort of direct and clear signal that we have bigtime ambitions and that we don't think we belong in a better conference because we are the best choice of what is left.

But our relevance is a pretty big factor. We need our name out there and we need people to be talking about us.

1. Give Kevin Ollie a serious multi-year deal. Give him the freedom of action to recruit and the full backing of the school that he deserves. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it's a positive story. And we need positive stories about UConn.

The 7 month contract wasn't a terrible idea. But I think we have seen enough to ask him to stay a while. We've gotten more of a trial run than we would get with anyone else.

2. The most disposable is Pasqualoni. Anyone here really believe that he will get a fourth year? If not, why give him a third?

We can send a clear signal that we will not accept the status quo by removing him. Yeah. I know some bigger schools are looking around already, but we really can't afford to wait another year before undoing the damage Pasqualoni is causing. There are big names and some promising up and comers that will sign contracts with new schools this winter. We need to go get one of those.

Sorry Warde. You signed up for this. I know you didn't want to make such big decisions early in your tenure, but this comes with the territory.

If we want to be taken seriously, then take things seriously.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Clearly they need to #begharder.

Reaction Score
Warde nor Susan have been here long enough to bear the brunt of the mess they are trying to clean up.

Maybe, yet here they are with the chance to take advantage of what may be our last opportunity to play on a national stage in athletics. If they don't take advantage, it's on them.

Reaction Score
The four most influential people in UConn: John Toner (the vision to position and accept a membership in northeast basketball conference in hopes that it could compete on a more national level), Jim Calhoun (put the men'sbasketball program into an elite category,starting with '88 NIT and won several national championships), Lou Perkins (the visionary who got the stadium built and has the forsight to push/pull UConn into the big time world of college football reminding everyone that all other programs, including men's and women's hoops were at risk) and finally Paul Pasqualoni (the coach who disassemble UConn football at the worst possible time and made it an embarrassment at the BCS level to the point that maybe the program stops its development and remains a MAC or Conference USA level program).

Reaction Score
When UConn does land in our new conference I'm hoping all the critics on these boards, who have ZERO experience in running a University or an Athletic Department, are as vocally complimentary about SH and WM getting a deal done. Most won't. Most will still criticize and complain about semantics of a quote, or why it wasn't done sooner, or how come we didn't get invited to the NFC East b/c that's where we really belong.

Herbst is positioning the University for the long game, not the ever so popular 15 minutes of fame and give it to us yesterday mentality that so many are pining for. There is a bigger end game in mind and UConn will be positioned nicely in it. Manuel walked into a a hollow house left by the previous AD (a terrible hire in the FB program (and I admittedly was initially supportive of it until he hired GDL - it reminded me of how I felt about McCain, until he announced Palin as his running mate), a men's hoop program that was on the brink of a major coaching transition all while being hamstrung by NCAA probation).

Reaction Score
When UConn does land in our new conference I'm hoping all the critics on these boards, who have ZERO experience in running a University or an Athletic Department, are as vocally complimentary about SH and WM getting a deal done. Most won't. Most will still criticize and complain about semantics of a quote, or why it wasn't done sooner, or how come we didn't get invited to the NFC East b/c that's where we really belong.
Sorry, total load of cr@p. this is not kindergarten. They get paid to perform. Not just try hard.
Herbst is positioning the University for the long game, not the ever so popular 15 minutes of fame and give it to us yesterday mentality that so many are pining for. There is a bigger end game in mind and UConn will be positioned nicely in it. Manuel walked into a a hollow house left by the previous AD (a terrible hire in the FB program (and I admittedly was initially supportive of it until he hired GDL - it reminded me of how I felt about McCain, until he announced Palin as his running mate), a men's hoop program that was on the brink of a major coaching transition all while being hamstrung by NCAA probation).

Reaction Score
I don't know if they are fiddling. But it would be nice to see some sort of direct and clear signal that we have bigtime ambitions and that we don't think we belong in a better conference because we are the best choice of what is left.

But our relevance is a pretty big factor. We need our name out there and we need people to be talking about us.

1. Give Kevin Ollie a serious multi-year deal. Give him the freedom of action to recruit and the full backing of the school that he deserves. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it's a positive story. And we need positive stories about UConn.

The 7 month contract wasn't a terrible idea. But I think we have seen enough to ask him to stay a while. We've gotten more of a trial run than we would get with anyone else.

2. The most disposable is Pasqualoni. Anyone here really believe that he will get a fourth year? If not, why give him a third?

We can send a clear signal that we will not accept the status quo by removing him. Yeah. I know some bigger schools are looking around already, but we really can't afford to wait another year before undoing the damage Pasqualoni is causing. There are big names and some promising up and comers that will sign contracts with new schools this winter. We need to go get one of those.

Sorry Warde. You signed up for this. I know you didn't want to make such big decisions early in your tenure, but this comes with the territory.

WM did not have a clue!!!! He was at the Paradise Jam evaluating KO while all the alignment was taking place. Too soon for him to comment!!! HCPP was a great disappointment for me and others !!! Hopefully WM can see that FB needed to be fixed !!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
WM did not have a clue!!!! He was at the Paradise Jam evaluating KO while all the alignment was taking place. Too soon for him to comment!!! HCPP was a great disappointment for me and others !!! Hopefully WM can see that FB needed to be fixed !!!

Maybe if he used more exclamation points!!!!

Reaction Score

+1000

Ollie's test period, given Warde Manual first year status in the Athletic Department & Ollie's lack of any HC experience, was appropriate. But ... I thought that we would find out a lot in Kevin Ollie's first 10 weeks. That is the case. I think the Program is in solid shape for a great push forward. Manual should, at this time, make a strong statement by giving Ollie a reasonable market deal. And push push push for the best Basketball facility possible; improve both Gampel/XL for both the Men&Women; and market the hell out of this great Program.

Pasqualoni is a failure ... caused by Hathaway's weak view of where we needed to go as a Football program. He came in, billed, as a 63 year old with full capacity to take the existing program & take it to the next level. He has proven to be lacking in his ability to solidify the proven assets of the Program (ie Offensive Line strength) nor take this Program to a BE (even) championship competive level. No Confidence in him going forward.

That is Warde Manual's task. He took the Big Job with lots of opportunities. He is supposedly the Change Agent. Now, let's see him be the strong AD.

Reaction Score

I think you are right. I hope you are right.

However Warde has shown us cause for concern since Calhoun retired and Pasqualoni has the bed.

My impression is that he is balking from making big decisions. I hope my impression is wrong.

Reaction Score
+1000

Ollie's test period, given Warde Manual first year status in the Athletic Department & Ollie's lack of any HC experience, was appropriate. But ... I thought that we would find out a lot in Kevin Ollie's first 10 weeks. That is the case. I think the Program is in solid shape for a great push forward. Manual should, at this time, make a strong statement by giving Ollie a reasonable market deal. And push push push for the best Basketball facility possible; improve both Gampel/XL for both the Men&Women; and market the hell out of this great Program.

Pasqualoni is a failure ... caused by Hathaway's weak view of where we needed to go as a Football program. He came in, billed, as a 63 year old with full capacity to take the existing program & take it to the next level. He has proven to be lacking in his ability to solidify the proven assets of the Program (ie Offensive Line strength) nor take this Program to a BE (even) championship competive level. No Confidence in him going forward.

That is Warde Manual's task. He took the Big Job with lots of opportunities. He is supposedly the Change Agent. Now, let's see him be the strong AD.

And +1000 to you sir.

I love the fact that Kevin Ollie is our basketball coach. He will kick butt for us and we maintain the "family" business.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's your feet. There's the abyss. Here's the ledge that separate your feet from said bottomless hole. Put some distance between your feet and the ledge...

The original action taken with Ollie was absolutely appropriate. Mr. Manuel has had nothing but good things to say about Ollie and is on record that he is closer to a long term solution with him. Do the math. I think we have, "some sort of direct and clear signal."

Before this issue is put to bed however, I'll remind you of Jimmy Flint. Who? You may know him as Bruiser. James "Bruiser" Flint went 40-25 in his first two years at UMass and went to the NCAA tournament both years, losing in the first round. What has he done since? 46-47 and a pink slip at UMass. Then it took 11 years to obtain mere NCAA Tourney consideration at Drexel.

Regarding lost recruits, UConn Basketball Legend Jim Calhoun lost prized recruits too. He also land supposed worldbeaters who didn't amount to a whole ton (Scott Hazelton, anyone?). You may have also heard of solid in-state NBA talent (Ryan Gomes?) in a situation where he said HE duckked up no less than 7 times. Good grief, the man has been on the job for 9 months. Relax. Have a cream soda!!!!

Reaction Score
What on earth does Rutgers bring to any conference?

Based on that alone, the decision making process would seem to be random and chaotic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's my line.
No. Your line is: Sydney, relax. Have a cream soda. Everything will be over in a couple of minutes.

That's from memory, hence no quotations.

Incidently, your handle is why I wrote it...I love that movie!!!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
What on earth does Rutgers bring to any conference?

Based on that alone, the decision making process would seem to be random and chaotic.
The all important NYC market, that doesn't give half a hoot about college athletics outside the first week in March.

Reaction Score
I really wonder how much having Pasqualoni on board along with Deleoni is hurting the Uconn brand right now. I would imagine current performance of a team and where it's trending plays some sort of a factor in the appeal of a school. Interest in the Football program is declining under this coach yet the ACC is supposed to overlook that and not pick a program that is on the rise like Louisville? It would seem to me if that area were at least more competitive Uconn would be a much easier sell. This is all the reason why Ward should act immediately to show that he means business with the Football Program.

Reaction Score
Both their reps. ae on the line. If we stay stuck in the Depleted East they should both be shown the door.

Reaction Score
I really wonder how much having Pasqualoni on board along with Deleoni is hurting the Uconn brand right now. I would imagine current performance of a team and where it's trending plays some sort of a factor in the appeal of a school. Interest in the Football program is declining under this coach yet the ACC is supposed to overlook that and not pick a program that is on the rise like Louisville? It would seem to me if that area were at least more competitive Uconn would be a much easier sell. This is all the reason why Ward should act immediately to show that he means business with the Football Program.

It has hurt it terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer